closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 4,000 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Bordering on too much sherry influence however still so, so good.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Got a bottle of Tullibardine Sauternes Cask incoming off my sister for Christmas. Not had a Tullibardine in a good number of years so looking forward to giving it a try.

Grand Master
    Master Of Malt Blair Athol 9yo incoming, cask strength and only £35!
    Also well worth a look is Lismore 18yo single malt also £35, it’s a steal as it’s a Glenfarclas under another name. Tastes a little younger than 18, probably 2nd or 3rd refill casks but it’s still a very very good gently sherried malt at this price.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Got a bottle of Tullibardine Sauternes Cask incoming off my sister for Christmas. Not had a Tullibardine in a good number of years so looking forward to giving it a try.
    One of my go-to drams

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I had a bottle of Edradour sauterne finished years ago - very nice, I thought.

Thanks for the input, looking forward to it even more now. The problem will be can I resist opening it until Christmas Day!

Thanks for the input, looking forward to it even more now. The problem will be can I resist opening it until Christmas Day!
    It would be reckless to not try it before Christmas. Wouldn't it be awful if you opened it on the day and found it had gone off? That would be Christmas ruined.

Always best to test upon arrival, and then periodically onwards, just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It would be reckless to not try it before Christmas. Wouldn't it be awful if you opened it on the day and found it had gone off? That would be Christmas ruined.

Always best to test upon arrival, and then periodically onwards, just to make sure.
    Haha! Testing my resolve. That sounds so plausible though I reckon I could almost pull it off....

A buddy just got back from SA and bought me a bottle of one of my absolute favourites.
    Bains Mountain Cape Whisky.
    Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Never tried it though have heard good things, it appears to be around the same price at a few retailers at the moment.

I might even treat myself to that and maybe another....

Just picked up a bottle of Singleton 12 from Waitrose reduced to £26 just thought I’d post a quick heads up.

Master
    Just delivered… looking forward to savouring this over Christmas. Supposed to be quite special and a bit different from the usual…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Just delivered… looking forward to savouring this over Christmas. Supposed to be quite special and a bit different from the usual…

It’s a lovely whisky. Only problem I find (other than the price) is that it goes down like apple juice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Ardbeg 10 £38 at tescos now with the club card

Up in Speyside next week. Any distillery tours worth looking out. Haven't done one for 20 years but I guess little has changed

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

The tasting notes of "espresso intensity" are intriguing !

Get that opened, tasted and reported !

EDIT: Just looked it up online............£150 ! send me a wee sample?
    Last edited by blackal; 17th December 2022 at 21:48.

I've a bottle of that, bought with part of a small bonus early this year. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts once opened.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Master Of Malt Blair Athol 9yo incoming, cask strength and only £35!
    Also well worth a look is Lismore 18yo single malt also £35, it’s a steal as it’s a Glenfarclas under another name. Tastes a little younger than 18, probably 2nd or 3rd refill casks but it’s still a very very good gently sherried malt at this price.
    Just had the Lismore delivered. Looking forward to trying this one in the hope that it will be Glenfarclas. Bottle, to me, looks very dated in a nostalgic sort of way. Not unlike, design wise, a bottle of 1980's Glenlivet 12 i have been gifted.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Up in Speyside next week. Any distillery tours worth looking out. Haven't done one for 20 years but I guess little has changed

Glenlivet is a good tour and visitor centre in a fairly modern but traditional style distillery. Excellent cocktails in the Visitor centre bar if you’re not driving. Macallan is a very different distillery experience and worth a visit too. It’s by far the most expensive new distillery in Scotland but while it’s very impressive I find it a bit cold.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I was very tempted by this as Waitrose are also doing Benriach 10 for £29. But I still have plenty left of the 12 so I held off! It's a great drop, and I'd like to try the 10 sometime.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will investigate

Clucking bell. Some of the Macallan tours, sorry experiences are £450 a go!

Used to be free!

Glenlivet have a £20 do, more in line with my budget!

Craftsman
    For Info, Waitrose have Glenlivet on offer atm for £22,great value for a traditional Speyside malt, Can't remember which 'Edition" it is but pale blue box! I did a Glenlivet tour several years ago and it was a great experience, but to OP, probably best to buy at Waitrose but enjoy a tour! Cheers, John B4

That's a good price. Don't think Waitrose have made to the Highlands just yet!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=xxnick1975;6124787]That's a good price. Don't think Waitrose have made to the Highlands just yet!
    Ah, yes you may have a point! I do remember doing a Tobermory distillery visit, plenty of opportunity to buy there but it was significantly cheaper in the local co-op. Have a cracking trip. Cheers, John B4

Cheers, Tee Zed'ers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Cheers, Tee Zed'ers.

You’ve beat me to opening it! Verdict?

In the meantime, just received this from the missus as a pre-Xmas gift… it’s going to be a boozy Christmas!

In the meantime, just received this from the missus as a pre-Xmas gift… it’s going to be a boozy Christmas!

Very nice. Generous wife.

Do you wear a Seamaster when imbibing for the full Bond experience?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Very nice. Generous wife.

Do you wear a Seamaster when imbibing for the full Bond experience?

:-) And I did actually ask about the new one being released in Jan/Feb at the Omega AD just yesterday!

I'd already opened mine and last night's tipple left me with the same impression as previous measures. It's not the most complex of whiskies I've tried and maybe not quite as fulfilling of the coffee/chocolate notes that I'd expected, they're there though the overall impression for me is that there's not enough of anything to make me go gaga over it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough spirit, though at that price "nice" isn't really enough.

Hopefully you'll enjoy yours, it does have its fans and there's always a degree of subjectiveness to such matters.

Lovely tour at The Glenlivet today.

£20, was a fair price I think, 3 expressions tasted at the end.

Bought a bottle of the 15yr old.

Have been a Islay fanatic for many years but as I get older I'm becoming more appreciative of the sweeter, smoother Speysides IMG_20221222_110654.jpg

Just picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair, £25.99 at Morrissons. A tad over 46% abv and natural colour/non chill filtered. Looking forward to having a dram.

My youngest bought me this for my 50th last year and until now it’s gone untouched
    He’s hassled me to open it and I’ve held off until now

Just picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair, £25.99 at Morrissons. A tad over 46% abv and natural colour/non chill filtered. Looking forward to having a dram.
    I like the 'standard' Bunnahabhains - To me, it has a nice 'oily-seaweedy' finish.

That one you have bought seems quite cheap. Be interesting to hear what you think of it.

Slàinte mhath

Master

I’ve a few bottles of 18 year old early 90s bottling stashed away for my funeral. Or the day when the world stops.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’ve a few bottles of 18 year old early 90s bottling stashed away for my funeral. Or the day when the world stops.

Surely that's an excuse for a living wake and not for everyone else to sup after you're gone? Need to get in on the action!

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

A few bottles? Get one open now, my good man!

Tonight's tipple is this Irish delight, it's my second bottle and I'll be buying a third before this one's out.

Chin chin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    A buddy just got back from SA and bought me a bottle of one of my absolute favourites.
    Bains Mountain Cape Whisky.
    Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Followed your recommendation and got a bottle from Amazon. Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I like the 'standard' Bunnahabhains - To me, it has a nice 'oily-seaweedy' finish.

That one you have bought seems quite cheap. Be interesting to hear what you think of it.

Slàinte mhath
    It's pretty decent, a drop or two of water certainly opens it up a bit. I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for it though.

Chin chin.

Master
    Chin chin.

What are your thoughts on it? I have a bottle sitting on the shelf but have refrained from opening it. Waiting for the right occasion!

SMWS 94.11

Curious Mouth Teaser

What are your thoughts on it? I have a bottle sitting on the shelf but have refrained from opening it. Waiting for the right occasion!
    I had mine for 8 years before opening it...

Plum, dry sherry and cigar tobacco are the prominent notes on the palate for me. I love it and would place it in my top 5 whiskies of all I've tried.

Enjoying this picked up yesterday as a change from my usual. Lovely smokey Speyside with sherry notes.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Master

Plum, dry sherry and cigar tobacco are the prominent notes on the palate for me. I love it and would place it in my top 5 whiskies of all I've tried.
    Mmmmm…. Thanks for the insight. Going to wait for the right moment!

The tasting notes sound right up my street for this, the price not so much! Out of interest do you recall what you paid for it 8 years ago? Prices seem to be out of control at the moment. One of my favourites is RedBreast 21; that was £160 when I bought it mid-2020 and now it's £230.

Luckily I've found that I like Rye whisky a lot, with lot's of good stuff being well priced. Even better I'm drinking a lot more bourbon / rye / whisky based cocktails which I typically use cheaper brands too.

The bottle was bought for me pretty much bang on 10 years ago for, I think, somewhere around £120 give or take - long story short I only opened it 2 years back, more or less to the day. I considered selling it though decided against it as it was bought to drink and was a gift that held, and still holds, sentimental value.

I'm not so sure it's worth the circa £1k or whatever it is now though, as always, such things are subjective.

Glenfarclas 15 for sale at £54 with Majestic - that's at least £14 cheaper than just about everywhere else (don't forget shipping costs though if you can't do a local pickup).

It's one of my favourites, and perfectly timed for Burns night, and indeed any other night given it's so delicious.

https://www.majestic.co.uk/spirits/g...0bfb0f853141cf

Edit: Another option at £55 plus shipping here too, if the Majestic option doesn't work for you:

https://edinburghfooddelivery.com/pr...gn=sag_organic

The bottle was bought for me pretty much bang on 10 years ago for, I think, somewhere around £120 give or take - long story short I only opened it 2 years back, more or less to the day. I considered selling it though decided against it as it was bought to drink and was a gift that held, and still holds, sentimental value.

I'm not so sure it's worth the circa £1k or whatever it is now though, as always, such things are subjective.
    £120 would be something of a bargain now!

May be something I’d get a sample of at the whisky show if I go next year and it’s available to try.