closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 4128

Thread: Whiskey

Journeyman
    Oddly unclealec I was reading about this just yesterday. A blend of malts is called (or used to be till 2011) a vatted malt, now its called a blended malt. I was interested in a bottle of Monkey Shoulder (a blend of 3 malts) but reviews of the latest release put me off so I reverted to my favourite Bailie Nicol Jarvie made by Glenmorangie and has a high but not 100% malt content. For the money (<£20) I can't find better.

Paul.

Journeyman
    Beat me to it teadazed!

Banned
    The Singleton of Dufftown 12 years for me tonight seeing in the New Year with the wife.

Master
    The Singelton's a nice choice.

Blog Entries
    Ardbeg to toast the New Year

z

My favorite Talisker for me. Happy new year!

Having a nice Caol Ila just now after putting my cycling gear ready for an early start in the morning to (hopefully) beat the rain! Happy New Year to you all!
    F.T.F.A.

Springbank 1965.

Opened at last.

Master
    New Year seen in with Single Malts of Scotland 29 year old Bunnahabhain, Glenrothes 1988 and Glenfarclas 30 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Springbank 1965.

Opened at last.
    Crumbs. That's a *proper* bottle.

was in Manchester Airport Terminal 1 Duty Free on Friday en route to Dublin (never got there as bad weather forced Aer Lingus to cancel - didn't know that whilst we were in the store).

anyway most helpful/knowledgeable sales guy on the malt whiskys had samples open of literally 50 bottles (fun at 7am).

said I would buy if I didn't have to carry the stuff !!! he said that's fine - if travelling to Dublin we could buy up to 10 (ten) litres each and do pay & collect.... happy days so bought 15 year Dalmore, two bottles of my favourite 18 year old Glenlivet and a Springwood Auchentoshan .....should see me through the rest of the winter months.

we left the airport by 8.30am ....and they arranged the bottles to be sent down to the little shop at the exit for me to collect.

Apprentice
    Glenfiddich 14 yo Rich Oak was on offer in Sainsburys. Personal preference, but it kicks the Glenfiddich 18's ass!

I wanted to raise a glass of something decent to mark Paul's sudden passing away and decided to break open the bottle of Glengoyne Cask Strength that I was given for Christmas.

It's very good! Very savoury in a digestive biscuit sort if way. So good in fact that I've toasted him three times now - I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

It can all slip away in a moment folks...

R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    I wanted to raise a glass of something decent to mark Paul's sudden passing away and decided to break open the bottle of Glengoyne Cask Strength that I was given for Christmas.

It's very good! Very savoury in a digestive biscuit sort if way. So good in fact that I've toasted him three times now - I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

It can all slip away in a moment folks...

R.I.P

^^^^^^^^^^Priceless^^^^^^^^^^^

R.I.P Paul

I have just acquired a bottle of Benromach; any comments? Not one I have tried before, and it won't arrive for a while.

Journeyman
    Bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker black label for cheap at the airport to see what all the fuss is about. Found it sickly, too busy and a sort of horrible burnt after taste. Don't know why it's so big in the export market.

Banned
    Had a smashing bottle of whisky from Bermuda the name escapes me.

Journeyman
    Does anyone know could Redbreast be found in any of the shops on Heathrow airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    Does anyone know could Redbreast be found in any of the shops on Heathrow airport?
    Yes , both the 12 and 15yr where there the last time I was travelling through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Springbank 1965.

Opened at last.
    FMD - the one reviewed in this link:
    http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveaugust13-1.html#020813

or this:
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...f-malt-whisky/

Got a couple of bottles from next door to them last week:
    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...n-wood-whisky/

Rob.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    Yes , both the 12 and 15yr where there the last time I was travelling through.
    Thanks for the info!
    Do you remember the price maybe? Or is it better to look for it, whiskey in general, in liquor shops in the town?

Journeyman
    Bought a bottle of Jura Elixir a few months back when it was on offer for under £30. Great value whisky. Fruity smooth and just so easy to drink. Tastes like its a lot more expensive than it is.

Yamazaki 18 Yrs last night ... almost like a cognac. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    One of my favourites! I went to the Yamazaki distillery, worth a visit. They have a fantastic whisky library and bar.

Master
    Great choice. I'm still one for the smokey tastes, but Yamazaki 18 is lovely.

Journeyman
    Haven't found Redbreast on my journey :(
    Bought Aberlour 12 just to buy something, hope I like it.
    Had a taste of Dalmore King Alexander III edition, six different barrels matured, that's something very nice.

Craftsman
    Cambus '91 18 year tonight.

Anyone had glenfiddich snow phoenix?

Craftsman
    I love port and I'm enjoying my whisky those days after going to one of those day course things.
    Can anyone recommend one if the port cask matured tipples?
    I've seen an Arran one and a Balvennie one I think but thought I'd ask if anyone had tried them before I bought one blind so to speak.
    Joe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    I love port and I'm enjoying my whisky those days after going to one of those day course things.
    I've seen an Arran one and a Balvennie one I think but thought I'd ask if anyone had tried them before I bought one blind so to speak.
    Joe
    Quite a few distilleries have experimented with port casks, though not many keep them in their standard range forever a quick search on somewhere like the whisky exchange will give plenty of options.
    I like a port finished whisky myself, but it doesn't always work - some distilleries work out better than others - often it can end up a bit too sweet.
    A good "budget" one is Cragganmore Distillers edition - can be found for £45ish and is a bottle I tend to keep in.
    The Balvenie Port Wood (21) is a very nice whisky but it isn't cheap - it's a bottle that comes out on special occasions.

Incidentally, port finished whiskies go very well with chocolate.

Joe
    Tried the Laphroaig Feis Ile 2013 Cairdeas Port Wood Edition at the distillery open day last year; rather good, remarkably sweet / light for a 51% bottling. Incredible colour on it - pink! The Balvenie 21 YO Port Wood is fantastic.

For a cheaper, more accessible dram, the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old is pretty good (I note that TWE are offering the 10YO with a free miniature of the Quinta Ruban at the mo, so you can try it risk-free).

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input fellas!

Looking at these, and some others, it seems that you need to get in quick for before they sell out. (The laphroaig seems sold out for example)
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread from now on! And maybe buying a bottle of that cragganmore!!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Great choice. I'm still one for the smokey tastes, but Yamazaki 18 is lovely.
    It's curtailed my longstanding romance with the smokey Laphroaigs and Ardbegs, which by comparison only, now seem a little "unclean" or heavy. The Yamazaki 18yrs is remarkably free of any tricks, simple and clean yet rewardingly complex.

Did I just write that ? Pseuds Corner beckons.

It's a goody.

That's better.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Looking at these, and some others, it seems that you need to get in quick for before they sell out. (The laphroaig seems sold out for example)
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread from now on! And maybe buying a bottle of that cragganmore!!

Joe
    The Feis Ile (Islay Festival) bottlings sell out very quickly; some are only available at the distillery, and in very limited numbers. There seems to be an increasing number of profiteers too...

Visiting Islay during the Festival is an incredible chance to try all sorts of interesting drams, and to nose around parts of the distilleries that are usually closed to the general public. It's all a *little* bit touristy, but it's a real experience. Plus the people are great and the food is superb. The drink's not bad either...

Master
    It's curtailed my longstanding romance with the smokey Laphroaigs and Ardbegs, which by comparison only, now seem a little "unclean" or heavy. The Yamazaki 18yrs is remarkably free of any tricks, simple and clean yet rewardingly complex.

Did I just write that ? Pseuds Corner beckons.

It's a goody.

That's better.
    Ah the Laphroaigs in particular are a little heavy, but that's part of the charm.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quite happy...just been to my local Coop where I found a mislabeled bottle of The Glenlivet 15 year old for £23. Almost half price

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought a bottle of Jura Elixir (12yo) in Sainsbury's last night.
    For a relatively inexpensive bottle, it's actually very nice... quite fruity, and very easy to drink.

Found out that it's old stock though... Jura changed the Elixir from 40% to 46% at some point last year. The bottle I bought is 40% which is probably why it had 20% off.

I would love to invest in a very nice 40yo Single Malt for my 40th birthday in a few weeks, but the temptation to drink it would be too great

Blog Entries
    After recommendations from several US colleagues I bought this last week whilst in MN.

It's delicious.

z

Blog Entries
    Just poured a large 'end of the bank holiday weekend' measure of Templeton Rye.

Lovely... I'd recommend it - If you can get hold of a bottle over here.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I have just acquired a bottle of Benromach; any comments? Not one I have tried before, and it won't arrive for a while.
    Benromach is my local, and I think very highly of them. I used to live within walking/stumbling distance of them, which was convenient for bringing along houseguests. The Traditional is their basic bottle. It's very canny: they use quite a bit of young spirit but it has the balance of most 10 year olds. Speyside balance, malty, mid-weight, very clever use of peat that stays in the background. The 10 y.o. is superb (but unfortunately the prices are rising--it used to be a steal in the airports). I prefer it to, e.g. the 15 y.o. Glenlivit. Like the Traditional but more sherry, smooooth but delightfully textured. The Origins series use different kinds of barley, and they're not my favourite. These guys are clever, but the Origins might be too much so by half. The older expressions, before the reopening with new stills, are quite ethereal.

Which one did you get, and how did you get on with it?
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 18th August 2014 at 19:33.

The Bruichladdich, organic Scottish barley. Sweet, honeyed, hint of lemon barley. Rather good.

Master
    I'm going to Edinburgh/Glenrothes for work today. Any recommendations for a local whiskey? Nothing too peaty!

Master
    Just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 18Y. Very, very nice. A little more mellow in bite yet retaining all the flavour and nose we've come to expect. I thought it would be a difficult task to beat the Quarter Cask but it has managed to do so. Only barely and that's because of the slightly more mellow tone. That's it.

Have to say it, but the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is such a sensational drop that all other Laphroaig bar the full strength (and now the 18Y) have a really difficult time coming close. Quarter Cask is such good value for money it's not funny. It eats the standard 10Y for breakfast and asks for more.

just bought a Dalwinnie at Tesco on offer at £25 (down from £35) ....a nice smooth whisky

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae View Post
    Just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 18Y. Very, very nice. A little more mellow in bite yet retaining all the flavour and nose we've come to expect. I thought it would be a difficult task to beat the Quarter Cask but it has managed to do so. Only barely and that's because of the slightly more mellow tone. That's it.

Have to say it, but the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is such a sensational drop that all other Laphroaig bar the full strength (and now the 18Y) have a really difficult time coming close. Quarter Cask is such good value for money it's not funny. It eats the standard 10Y for breakfast and asks for more.
    Tried a bottle of the 18yr (or was it a 15yr?) a few years ago, and while nice i didn't think it justified the price (around £50) over the more standard versions which could be had for about £20 at the time. Std 10yr is ok, Quarter cask is much better, i agree. But for me my fave is the cask strength, used to be able to pick it up regularly in makro and big asdas at the same price as the quarter cask, but haven't seen it in quite a while. I'm completely out of malt at the mo and fancy a dram this week so may get a bottle of QC

Brighty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Tried a bottle of the 18yr (or was it a 15yr?) a few years ago, and while nice i didn't think it justified the price (around £50) over the more standard versions
    I agree that the price premium is unwarranted when compared to something like the Quarter Cask but if you don't try, you'll never know. If you put the price to one side I still think the 18Y has the most marginal edge over the Quarter Cask. Neither beats the Cask Strength. Period. It is the ne plus ultra for Islay and that's even considering Ardbeg's beautiful Uigeadail.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    just bought a Dalwinnie at Tesco on offer at £25 (down from £35) ....a nice smooth whisky
    Cracking buy at £25. Hope the offers still on tomorrow!

Tried and bought a couple of Gordon & McPhail exclusives last weekend when I was home, lovely and very different but can't for the life of me remember what they were called! Bought and put in the whisky cupboard for future ref :-)

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried Balvenie 15yr old sherry cask?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-24367.aspx

Master

Flip me just seen how much this is a bottle now.....

Enjoying a Lagavulin 16yo this evening, it really hits the spot for me.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae View Post
    I agree that the price premium is unwarranted when compared to something like the Quarter Cask but if you don't try, you'll never know. If you put the price to one side I still think the 18Y has the most marginal edge over the Quarter Cask. Neither beats the Cask Strength. Period. It is the ne plus ultra for Islay and that's even considering Ardbeg's beautiful Uigeadail.
    This is the truth, although with the caveat that if it was the 15 yr old you tried, it got dropped and replaced by the 18yr old as reviews were not great - it was chill filtered and had caramel added if i recall correctly. For me, Laphroaig cask strength and Caol Ila cask strength are the two giants of Islay with Quarter Cask a strong challenger.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!