closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 76 of 78 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 3860

Thread: Whiskey

  1. #3751
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    I just received a bottle of Redbreast 12 which Iím looking forward to sampling later
    Nice drop that, you can see my bottle amongst the others.

  2. #3752
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Thanks for the comments, guys

    Yeah, there are a few Islays there and one or two other peat-smoked whiskies, which is why I've just ordered two complete contrasts to the typical Islay despite saying an hour or two ago I'd add a couple more... I can't remember ever having a port cask spirit in the collection so there are two on the way, Tomatin's 14 (my first ever Tomatin, I think) and a GlenDronach, the 10 rather than the NAS.

    Looking forward to trying them
    I like the pictures of the Islay distilleries on the bottom shelf, are they photos or illustrations?.

  3. #3753
    Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    I like the pictures of the Islay distilleries on the bottom shelf, are they photos or illustrations?.
    They're prints from here - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RainyDa...g_id=815160808
    I have the 4 Islay distilleries I've visited (Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Bowmore) though hope to add more in the future. They'll be framed and wall mounted when I get the time, the lower shelves will then be for books.

  4. #3754
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,740
    This evenings cold remedy


  5. #3755
    Two of these are mine, the other 8 I picked up earlier this evening. Tomorrow night 5 of us have arranged another online blind tasting session where we each provide 2 bottles for each of the others with nothing but our initials on them, we won't know what we've drunk until each bottle is finished. We've arranged a few of these now, we'd rather meet for real though we'll wait until this C19 palaver is done with.

    Might have a sore head Friday morning!

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

  6. #3756
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    b.1789 Tardis-esque to the Present...
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Finally got my drinks collection in one place!

    56 bottles in all, 40 of which are whisky. I'll be looking to see if there's anything interesting in the sales tonight and fancy getting in a couple more Islays I'm yet to try.

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    A handsome collection!

    Is there a PX Cask among them? - a favourite.

  7. #3757
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger View Post
    A handsome collection!

    Is there a PX Cask among them? - a favourite.
    Cheers!

    The GlenAllachie 15 is part Oloroso part PX and the BenRiach 21 is 4 casks including PX, there may be another one or two in there as well though I'm pretty sure I don't have a PX as the only cask used. I'll need to check my Signatory bottling of Edradour, though.

    I've only had a measure of the GA up to now (though it's in my blind selection for tonight) though I really enjoyed it, the BR is OK though for the same money I may venture elsewhere when that bottle is done.

  8. #3758


    Opened this tonight. Plenty of sherry and complex taste but not quite as smooth as I expected.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #3759
    I got a few bottles this Christmas, this Welsh whisky from my daughter that Iím going to try tonight and two Irish, a 10 year old Bushmills and a Jamesons Black Barrel which are both still to be opened.

  10. #3760
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,451
    I am a big fan of Penderyn Legend which is a lovely drop Greg, one of my favourites. I haven't really enjoyed any other whiskies from Penderyn, but I haven't tried that one. Please let me know if you like it.

  11. #3761
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    506
    A friend of kind borrowed my Range Rover sport over Christmas for a trip up to Inverness

    He brought me back a bottle of Highland Park 10

    Iím normally more of an Irish whiskey fan but enjoyed it - not too peaty which is normally what puts me off some scotch

  12. #3762
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I am a big fan of Penderyn Legend which is a lovely drop Greg, one of my favourites. I haven't really enjoyed any other whiskies from Penderyn, but I haven't tried that one. Please let me know if you like it.
    I really enjoyed it Simon, I found it very easy to drink. I was very pleasantly surprised but I havenít tried any of their other whiskies.

  13. #3763
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I really enjoyed it Simon, I found it very easy to drink. I was very pleasantly surprised but I havenít tried any of their other whiskies.
    Thanks, mate, it's on the buy list We have a Penderyn distillery a few miles down the road, I will have to pay them a visit soon.

  14. #3764
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,339
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks, mate, it's on the buy list We have a Penderyn distillery a few miles down the road, I will have to pay them a visit soon.
    i've not opened it yet, but i got one of these for xmas, a good way to try a few penderyns! it's been on offer recently at amazon at about £24 so worth keeping an eye on. 3x 20cl bottles.


    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Penderyn-Si...1855873&sr=8-6
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  15. #3765
    Master wildheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Essex - Hopefully on a golf course!
    Posts
    8,185


    Got this for Christmas along with my Grandfatherís regimental Whisky glass


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #3766
    Master Grandiloquence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,548
    Currently enjoying a dram of Clynelish 14 y.o.
    Perfectly acceptable and reasonable price-wise, I think I paid £35 for it.

  17. #3767
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    8,950
    Blog Entries
    76
    Iíve recently restocked with the addition of a couple of English whiskiesÖ



    z

  18. #3768
    Master chrisb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    6,171
    I found that the Cotswolds benefits from standing in the glass for a few minutes to let some of the spirit clear, as it's a bit young. After that it's a lovely tipple.

  19. #3769
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    3,102
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post


    Got this for Christmas along with my Grandfatherís regimental Whisky glass


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That glass is a lovely touchÖ

  20. #3770
    SlŠinte!

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

  21. #3771
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London / Madeira
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    SlŠinte!

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    Superb! Received a bottle as Christmas gift and am yet to open it!

  22. #3772
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,740
    Two organic Danish Mosgaards to try tonight. Oloroso (batch 9) and Pedro Ximinex (batch 8).


  23. #3773
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Superb! Received a bottle as Christmas gift and am yet to open it!
    Mine was bought for me very nearly 9 years ago, I'll spare the whys and wherefores however I only broke the seal this time last year. It's a very fine whisky IMO, enjoy yours when you get to open it.

  24. #3774
    Chin chin.

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

  25. #3775
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,339
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  26. #3776
    Laphroaig's 10 CS and a sherry cask ordered this morning, a first purchase for both though I've sampled a friend's sherry cask and thought it worth a bottle. Put a Compass Box in the basket as well, my first ever from them, this one's a grain blend.

    They'll be with me tomorrow hopefully, 'photo to follow then.

  27. #3777
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Two organic Danish Mosgaards to try tonight. Oloroso (batch 9) and Pedro Ximinex (batch 8).

    Yay? Or nay? Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

  28. #3778
    The latest haul, including a Balvenie from the GF for Valentines.

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

  29. #3779
    Journeyman Bendigits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, England
    Posts
    146

    Popped away for a few days and took some bits, all delicious!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #3780
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Yay? Or nay? Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Iíd probably have to say nay, purely based on cost per litre. £56 for 50cl

    Although they are both NAS they need time to breathe once poured. The first taste on both (without breathing) was very bitter, but after 15 minutes they settled and came into their own. Both nice and sweet.

    The Oloroso was my preference of the two, which was a little bit of a surprise as I thought Iíd prefer the PX.

    Certainly something Iíd drink again, but with someone elseís money.

    Iím glad I tried them though.

  31. #3781
    ^^^ It's always a gamble trying new bottlings, maybe even more so from a distillery never tried before. Doesn't sound like a complete write-off though, thankfully.

  32. #3782
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ^^^ It's always a gamble trying new bottlings, maybe even more so from a distillery never tried before. Doesn't sound like a complete write-off though, thankfully.
    Absolutely. Iíd happily drink yours.

  33. #3783
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,163
    Whisky aficionados with a penchant for military memorabilia may be interested in this rather special bottle of 22 SAS Bunnahabhain 12 Year Islay Single Malt currently being auctioned for charity on SC (UK shipping only).






    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...harity-Auction
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  34. #3784
    Evening, afraid I cant reply to the SC thread however put me down for £150.

  35. #3785
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,163
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanKing View Post
    Evening, afraid I cant reply to the SC thread however put me down for £150.
    Many thanks indeed, that is much appreciated. I'll monitor this thread and accept bids by PM for those without posting access to SC.

    There has now been a higher bidder, so huge thanks to them as well!

    M
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  36. #3786
    Well that'll be the end of that particular bottle, then...

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

  37. #3787
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Well that'll be the end of that particular bottle, then...

    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    That's a great shot. I thought it was a promo image!

  38. #3788

    Received these as gifts today. Both super smooth and the Signet goes down like apple juice !!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #3789
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,339
    finishing off a few near empty bottles, so it's Talisker 10 followed by Caol Ila 12 tonight. new bottle arrived today, Deanston 18 year old. never tried a Deanston before!
    I've got a £50 amazon voucher to spend, any recommendations for something interesting? especially from outside my comfort zone of peated islays.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  40. #3790
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    finishing off a few near empty bottles, so it's Talisker 10 followed by Caol Ila 12 tonight. new bottle arrived today, Deanston 18 year old. never tried a Deanston before!
    I've got a £50 amazon voucher to spend, any recommendations for something interesting? especially from outside my comfort zone of peated islays.
    If you want to add about £15 you should be able to get a Glenallachie 15 - lovely sherry bomb whisky


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  41. #3791
    Journeyman Bendigits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, England
    Posts
    146
    Glenallchie 15 is a great shout and Iíll add a vote for the 12 as well which I also really like.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #3792
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SCOTLAND
    Posts
    1,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Bendigits View Post
    Glenallchie 15 is a great shout and Iíll add a vote for the 12 as well which I also really like.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I prefer the core 12 GA to the 15, the latest release of 12 has been excellent

    Also consider the Bunna 12 subscribe and save £35 and change


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  43. #3793
    GA 15 is a fair shout though it's the only GA I have so can't compare to others from the distillery, others I'd recommend are -

    Ledaig 10 (still some peat however it's tempered and not an Islay)
    Amrut Fusion (as above)
    Tomatin 14 Port Cask
    Arran 10
    Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
    Edradour Signatory Bottling

    You may have to add a little for one or two of those though I'd say they're worth it and I'd probably recommend the Edradour over the others as they're single cask offerings therefore offer something that could be considered a touch more unique. Mine's cask 241, other casks are out there.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edradour-20...s%2C342&sr=8-3

  44. #3794

    Cannot believe how quickly I have got through this. Very enjoyable and will finish it off tonight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #3795
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,339
    food for thought, thank you. i've been looking at the Ledaig and also Edradour, albeit a distillery bottling. i'm tempted to try something canadian or americam though to add something a bit different, or maybe an irish pot still.


    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    GA 15 is a fair shout though it's the only GA I have so can't compare to others from the distillery, others I'd recommend are -

    Ledaig 10 (still some peat however it's tempered and not an Islay)
    Amrut Fusion (as above)
    Tomatin 14 Port Cask
    Arran 10
    Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
    Edradour Signatory Bottling

    You may have to add a little for one or two of those though I'd say they're worth it and I'd probably recommend the Edradour over the others as they're single cask offerings therefore offer something that could be considered a touch more unique. Mine's cask 241, other casks are out there.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edradour-20...s%2C342&sr=8-3
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  46. #3796
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,532
    Went for a bite to eat in a Ski gondola today, a bit chilly. So, itís Auchentoshan American Oak to warm me up now Iím back home from Edinburgh.
    Not the most exotic of tipples, but I like it and Iím trying to make room in the whisky bar for some othersÖ so may have to have a few of these tonight.



    Andy.

  47. #3797
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Went for a bite to eat in a Ski gondola today, a bit chilly. So, itís Auchentoshan American Oak to warm me up now Iím back home from Edinburgh.
    Not the most exotic of tipples, but I like it and Iím trying to make room in the whisky bar for some othersÖ so may have to have a few of these tonight.



    Andy.
    Some lovely whiskies there, that Johnnie Walker XR is rich like a good XO Cognac, quite different to the rest of the JW range. That no-age-statement Glenlivet isnít great, donít let it put you off the Glenlivet, the 12yo and up are all excellent,


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  48. #3798
    Master Skier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Went for a bite to eat in a Ski gondola today, a bit chilly. So, itís Auchentoshan American Oak to warm me up now Iím back home from Edinburgh.
    Not the most exotic of tipples, but I like it and Iím trying to make room in the whisky bar for some othersÖ so may have to have a few of these tonight.



    Andy.
    That piano conversion into a whisky/drinks cabinet with lighting is genius.

  49. #3799
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,532
    @ValkyrieÖ. both the JW XR and the Glenlivet Founders Reserve were gifted to me by parents of kids Iíve coached. Iíve got a Dalmore 15 waiting to go on the top shelf, so it sounds like I should probably move the Glenlivet to the bottom in order to make way. I tend to keep bourbon and whisky that Iím happy to use in longer drinks down the bottom.

    @SkierÖ thanks, glad you like it. Was quite fun to convert it. I also converted a 1920s Columbia Gramafone to a Gin bar for the wife which was pretty cool, but we ended up selling it.

    Andy.

  50. #3800
    Had this bottle for a month or so now however tonight is the opening night.



    Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information