closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Nice to see that Whisky threads get everywhere and a wide range of tastes on here.

Will be treating myself to something Glenfarclas tonight I think though will be doing a bit of an Ardbeg refresher later in the week ahead of Ardbog day next weekend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Visiting Islay for the Festival (Feis Ile 2013) this week: Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Bowmore on the cards. Plus the Maltings.
    Very jealous. I'd love to go though I'd fear for the bank balance as I wouldn't be able to resist bringing back some special mementos.

Have a great time and take some pics for us.

Master
    I'm no whisky connoisseur but I do like a drop occasionally. Tonght I'm tucking it to a glass or two of The Singleton which I was given for my birthday recently. It's not a malt I've tried before, but I am rather enjoying it.

I'm on Ardmore now, it's good. But the best Whisky I've ever had was a recent leaving gift from my old job - it was Springbank 18 yo. It's unbelievably good, but for £80+ a bottle you'd hope so!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I'm on Ardmore now, it's good. But the best Whisky I've ever had was a recent leaving gift from my old job - it was Springbank 18 yo. It's unbelievably good, but for £80+ a bottle you'd hope so!
    Best I've had is Ardbeg Supernova - bought a few in a bar in Boras for a similar price to regular single malts.
    It was delicious - but at £180 a bottle it may be a while before I sample it again

z

Journeyman
    Bunnahabhain or Highland Park are my Whiskies of choice. Bunahabhain is a non peaty Islay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I'm no whisky connoisseur but I do like a drop occasionally. Tonght I'm tucking it to a glass or two of The Singleton which I was given for my birthday recently. It's not a malt I've tried before, but I am rather enjoying it.
    That's a pretty good choice.

Master

Happy Ardbog Day!

It's good

And with its friends

Got to agree that the Ardbog is pretty good. Picked a bottle up last week - but managed to hold on until Ardbeg Day. Just.

IMG_6244 LR by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Sweet. Buttery. Peaty. Not words I thought I'd be using, to be honest. The manzanilla sherry butts certainly import an interesting few notes...

IMG_6247 LR by Noodlefish, on Flickr
    Last edited by Broussard; 2nd June 2013 at 11:19.

Well I guess it's not 'real' whiskey but I've been enjoying Jack Daniels Honey liqueur whiskey. Blooming lovely. Nomnom hic

Master
    I get this stuff free, but that's not the reason why I drink it, but truthfully it's a blend but more like a single malt the smoothest you've tried and is my fav gulpin whiskey

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5016.aspx

Master
    Monkey Shoulder is great!
    You get it free?!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by munchies View Post
    I get this stuff free, but that's not the reason why I drink it, but truthfully it's a blend but more like a single malt the smoothest you've tried and is my fav gulpin whiskey

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5016.aspx
    FREE?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????? tell us more!
    Monkey Shoulder is a pretty good pure malt blend of, iirc Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kinvenie (this one isn't marketed at all as a single malt). Must admit i like a hit of Monkey.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    FREE?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????? tell us more!
    Monkey Shoulder is a pretty good pure malt blend of, iirc Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kinvenie (this one isn't marketed at all as a single malt). Must admit i like a hit of Monkey.
    Nope I cant I wont you'll never break me.....ok my cousin PR Manager........

Grand Master
    did i eveh tell yous, yous moy beshhht mayte so ye arrr......
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Had Springbank 15 yo recently and it was very enjoyable yet the price is much more reasonable.

Anyone has tried Talisker Storm yet?

Master
    What a job!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    did i eveh tell yous, yous moy beshhht mayte so ye arrr......
    Aye right your are then

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    What a job!
    Indeed Sir

Master
    Tesco's have the Dalwhinnie 15 year on offer until the 16th June at £25 a 70cl bottle: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ...mp=aff_1018132

Master
    With Fathers Day in the offing I was ordered to list out what I have and like. Wife and daughter are now going to Cadenhead's Whisky Shop & Tasting Room to "find me something". Though having checked at http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/ a tasting session might be a good gift

Heads up. Glenfiddich reduced to £21.99 for 70cl at the Co-op. That's £15 pounds off!!.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Heads up : Glenmorangie in Coop, reduced from £35 to £25

Blog Entries

Distillery Tour... Edradour. the smallest in Scotland. Nr. Pitlochry.

Had a wonderful tour in April when I was up in Scotland... went round the Edradour distillery... reputed and lauded to be the smallest in Scotland.

Had driven over from where I was staying, nr. Tarbet on Loch Lomond, took in an awesome drive over to Pitlochry along the hillside past the wonderful Loch Tay... with un-obscured views due to the trees still being bare of leaves. An incredible drive. The skies were clear and the tops were still snow-capped.

Got a lovely bottle of straight from the cask Sauternes.. a really beauty!!

Some pics from the tour. I wasn't expensive at all, for your £7 you went round it all, got TWO different drams, and kept the Edradour nosing glass afterwards. Pretty much a give-away. Though an obligatory spend in the shop was probably their great recoup. Rude not to!

and here is one I got before I got to go Whisky hunting... a supermarket purchase in Dumbarton, but not one seen down here in Leeds on regular basis.

With the Loch in the background..

Some of the pics of the barrels maturing include other brands, for whom Edradour store for the maturing process.

A good trip out!

Grand Master
    ^^^^ Edradour used to be one of my fave malts in the early 2000's, but went through a re expression and re branding and went badly downhill. Has it recovered properly yet?
    Blair Athol in Pitlochry is another worth a vist too....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice
    Just picked up a few new bottles, Nikka from the barrel(Japanese Blend but it flipping fantastic) and a bottle of blantons gold bourbon.

^I'm a fan of Nikka whiskeys. I find "from the barrel" a bit too strong though. Their single malts on the other hand are pure perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Heads up : Glenmorangie in Coop, reduced from £35 to £25
    Good tip. Thanks.
    Picked some up at my local Coop this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jnike View Post
    Had Springbank 15 yo recently and it was very enjoyable yet the price is much more reasonable.

Anyone has tried Talisker Storm yet?
    No but I have almost finished a bottle of Talisker 57 degrees and it's delicious, packs a punch though.

What's the Storm like by comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    ^I'm a fan of Nikka whiskeys. I find "from the barrel" a bit too strong though. Their single malts on the other hand are pure perfection.
    I loved Nikka from the barrel. I bought a hilarious copper blend bottle from Nikka that comes clad in full metal Samurai armour - you take off his head to pour the whisky! Tastes good for a blend...

I went on a tour of the Yamazaki distillery in Tokyo. Free tour and you get unlimited tasting at the end (the Japanese can't drink that much!) but the best bit was the bar in the whisky library. They had some fantastic limited editions and the prices were excellent. Plus a great gift shop including things made out of the old barrels.

The bottle I bought to take home is the Yamazaki 18 year which is really rich and smoky.

^Planning on doing that tour some time in the future. Good to hear you enjoyed it. Big fan of the Yamazaki 18 too!

Master
    I'm a big fan of Yamazaki 18 too but I'm not sure I'd describe it as smoky. Rich, certainly, complex and bold but not really smoky.
    Excellent whisky though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    Bunnahabhain or Highland Park are my Whiskies of choice. Bunahabhain is a non peaty Islay.

Another vote for Bunnahabhain - just tucking into a wee nip just now...

I'm just enjoying a wee dram of SMWS 77.30 which is a rather sumptuous Glen Ord, cask strength at 61.9%

Lots of barley sugar notes on the nose, burned sugar on fresh apple pie with hints of ginger to taste and a looooong sweet finish. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm delicious.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    Another vote for Bunnahabhain - just tucking into a wee nip just now...
    I was drinking that last night, delicious stuff.

Tonights tipple is the Kilchoman Machir Bay. Kilchoman is the youngest distillery on Islay and the Machir Bay is but a 5 year old single malt.

However, that is not to decry it in any way. At 46% and non chill filtered it may display a youthful exhuberance, but that youthfulness is not only exceedingly enjoyable; it can also compete admirably with many, if not most, 'off the shelf' regular Islays and in many cases better them.

Ample smoke and peat, but not too much as to overpower the luscious rhubard pie nose or the vanilla sweet taste with echoes of toffee folowed by that wonderful bonfire night smoke. The finish is surprisingly long for one so young with aftertastes of smoked Almonds.

Well worth seeking out, and it's not at all surprising that it has won a number of awards.

Excellent. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.
    Best Regards - Peter

Tonight I decided to have a nip of Glenmorangies 12 year old 'The Lasanta'. A tad lighter than the other malts I've been enjoying this week.

A very enjoyable dram and at 46% doesn't need water.

Notes of pear drops and lemon sherbet. The Oloroso sherrying really comes through on the palate with hints of fruit cake and vanilla custard. The finish is surprisingly nutty and dry given the sweetness on the nose and tongue. A beguiling mix, most agreeable, I think I'll have another.
    Best Regards - Peter

Craftsman
    Munchie,

Does your cousin work in the Bellshill office?

If so I'm sure my wife will know your cousin

Whyte & MacKay FTW. £15 a litre. Central heating for tramps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Tonights tipple is the Kilchoman Machir Bay. Kilchoman is the youngest distillery on Islay and the Machir Bay is but a 5 year old single malt.

However, that is not to decry it in any way. At 46% and non chill filtered it may display a youthful exhuberance, but that youthfulness is not only exceedingly enjoyable; it can also compete admirably with many, if not most, 'off the shelf' regular Islays and in many cases better them.

Ample smoke and peat, but not too much as to overpower the luscious rhubard pie nose or the vanilla sweet taste with echoes of toffee folowed by that wonderful bonfire night smoke. The finish is surprisingly long for one so young with aftertastes of smoked Almonds.

Well worth seeking out, and it's not at all surprising that it has won a number of awards.

Excellent. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.
    I'll definitely give it a try, thanks for the tiple-off. Which bottling do you have as there seem to be a lot, I assume its the 2013 release.

Has anybody bought whiskey as an investment?

I set my self a policy some years ago that if I ever bought a bottle of something for a second time, that varied from year to year and was identifiable, I would buy 2 bottles of it and when the first was finished, if I wanted it again. I would buy two more and repeat. As such that the ones I liked the most I would end up with a reserve of for the future. As a result I have quite a store of Lagavulin Distillers Edition over recent years. I have at least a couple each of the 91, 93 and 94 (they all cost £45 or less at the time). I don't have any of this or last years as its jumped up 33% in price and I have yet to see it on offer anywhere or in duty free.

Having a look here reveals some rapid increase in value for even fairly recent bottles: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/twe...lin+distillers

Now I am not looking to sell them, and that price may not be realised, but its a hell of markup over such a short period.

Hi Dave.

Yes, it's the 2013 bottling. Machir bay is the cheapest of this years Kilchoman offerings, (£45 or thereabouts if I remember correctly), but, according to the guys in the Whiskey Shop in York, is the better of their three current offerings. I was looking for something different to try and they recomended this, I'm rather glad they did.

I'm very partial to it and will certainly be adding further bottles next time I'm in York.
    Best Regards - Peter

Tonight I thought I'd try the Auchentoshan 18 year old from the SMWS. Only a few drams left on the bottle.

A quality cask strength bottling, toffee and burned apple on the nose. A sweet intensity of apple crumble and toffee apple with hints of vanila fudge on the tongue. The finish is hot and long, leaving a distinct fudge taste, memories of the kind of fudge you buy in those home made sweet shops, not the stuff covered in chocolate.

Gloriously smooth.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    Fan of Auchentoshan myself.
    I like the fact that they set themselves apart with triple distillation - makes their whisky smooth.

One of my favourite current drams is their cask strength Valinch and at around £40 a bottle it is incredible value.

An Auchentoshan is up there with one of the best whiskies I've ever tasted - tried a 50 year old at the whisky exchanges whisky show a couple of years ago. Absolutely stunning but at £2500 a bottle it wasn't something I could justify buying!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Hi Dave.

Yes, it's the 2013 bottling. Machir bay is the cheapest of this years Kilchoman offerings, (£45 or thereabouts if I remember correctly), but, according to the guys in the Whiskey Shop in York, is the better of their three current offerings. I was looking for something different to try and they recomended this, I'm rather glad they did.

I'm very partial to it and will certainly be adding further bottles next time I'm in York.
    If you are close to York why not try the whiskey place in Stamford Bridge? I' m informed they are hard to beat, not that I would know because I can't stand the stuff.

Master
    Father's Day. Balvenie Caribbean Cask. Plus chocolate from the cat :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371380601.469918.jpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    Munchie,

Does your cousin work in the Bellshill office?

If so I'm sure my wife will know your cousin
    WOT....SO I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT GETS THE OCCASIONAL FREEBIE and I couldn't possibly give out any personal information

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Father's Day. Balvenie Caribbean Cask. Plus chocolate from the cat :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371380601.469918.jpg
    Nice - tried that at the whisky show last year and bought a bottle as a result.

Back to some Talisker 10, I do love this one.

Talisker 10 for me too, it's my favourite standby