closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 74 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,700 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I received this as a birthday gift from my daughter this morning.

I’m relatively new to the single malt experience but I have had and tried a few now, I don’t really know much but I’m enjoying the journey and I’m looking forward to trying this one.
    Enjoy! Arran make some fine whisky's.

And many happy returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I received this as a birthday gift from my daughter this morning.

I’m relatively new to the single malt experience but I have had and tried a few now, I don’t really know much but I’m enjoying the journey and I’m looking forward to trying this one.

I have an open bottle of that plus an Arran 10 in the waiting. TBH the Sauternes is too sweet for me though it's a fine contrast to many other whiskies I've tried, glad I've given it a go.but won't be going back. As said above they appear to be having a growing positive reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Wow.
    Stumbled across this thread by chance. You boys sure know your tipples.
    I’ve by chance just started trying a few whiskeys which is rare as actually I’m pretty much tea total .

I get given quiet a lot of the usual common suspects at Christmas through suppliers at work and tbh I pass them on to family and friends but I recall trying one a whilst ago that was as smooth as silk. No idea what it was unfortunately.
    I’ve since started getting a few of the minItures that are available which the 18 year Glenfiddich is leading the pack.

But any advice welcome to a newbie welcome.
    I don’t know the terms or phrases used so I think I can just say a rich type smooth whisky if that makes sense ?Oh and I have no sense of smell !!!!!!!
    Not much time to give you a full reply though the first thing I'll say is that what's "good" and what isn't is subjective, for the most part anyway. I might enjoy something you don't or visa versa.

Secondly, being able to smell what you're drinking is much of the experience! Is it that you have literally no sense of smell or you just can't differentiate between smells?

There's lots more however I'll finish here by saying that if you like a particular whisky then maybe investigate how it has been matured, for example what casks have been used. Then maybe try a few more that have been matured in the same way so you can compare or intentionally choose something that has been matured differently for contrast e.g. bourbon casks vs sherry casks.

JW Green £30 on Amazon Prime, would have been rude not to. It won't be alone, Lagavulin's 16 shall be accompanying it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Not much time to give you a full reply though the first thing I'll say is that what's "good" and what isn't is subjective, for the most part anyway. I might enjoy something you don't or visa versa.

Secondly, being able to smell what you're drinking is much of the experience! Is it that you have literally no sense of smell or you just can't differentiate between smells?

There's lots more however I'll finish here by saying that if you like a particular whisky then maybe investigate how it has been matured, for example what casks have been used. Then maybe try a few more that have been matured in the same way so you can compare or intentionally choose something that has been matured differently for contrast e.g. bourbon casks vs sherry casks.

Thanks for the reply.
    My smell is pretty much zero . I can just about notice smelling salts but more feel them on my nose than actually smell them. Always been like it .
    Good call on the casks and not something i have thought of .
    I feel i need to find a ' base ' type that i like, so i can then follow down that route maybe ? There is a shop locally that seems to have a good range and also do tasting sessions which might be a good place to start.
    Also just talking to them for advice or guidance maybe.

Obviously i dont want to buy a £250 bottle on one persons recommendation as its becoming clear that one person choice is another mans poison almost.
    Much like women !!
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    JW Green £30 on Amazon Prime, would have been rude not to. It won't be alone, Lagavulin's 16 shall be accompanying it.
    JW Green for me too! Will be interesting to compare it to the double black.

Journeyman
    I love Arran, i have a lot of their limited release bottlings as well as a lot of open core stock,

Also i agree with JW green being just in the sweet spot of value, especially when on offer!

Master
    Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair £25 @ Sainsbury’s

Giving this a go next 😋

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair £25 @ Sainsbury’s

Giving this a go next 😋
    I like it, but i think i'm in the minority going by the reviews

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Scallywag landed. 13 days and counting before I can try it.

And some new glasses

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Clynelish 14 down to £35 on Amazon.

Last edited by DamianM; 20th November 2021 at 19:18.

This tonight and unfortunately it’s almost finished :(

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post

Cheers

I know how you feel, I've only about a 1/4 of my bottle left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    I know how you feel, I've only about a 1/4 of my bottle left.
    How does it taste? Still not opened mine...

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    How does it taste? Still not opened mine...

Your missing out, it's my favorite ardbeg to date, simply delicious !

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Craftsman

Ooohhhh...will be cracking it very soon then!

see you've got the limited edition, but have you also tried the committee release?

Ooohhhh...will be cracking it very soon then!

see you've got the limited edition, but have you also tried the committee release?

My bottle is the the committee release version.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Dalmore is given a lovely fake tan and filtered to death by Mr Paterson sadly, the 18 is ok but still quite pricey. I’d not recommend it over Glendronach, Glenallachie and Bunna
    Funny how often chill filtration is mentioned as a negative thing. I’ve worked in the whisky industry for 30 years, several of which were spent designing filtration systems and being involved in very extensive trials to find if the chill filtration impacted the whisky flavour. Short answer is it doesn’t do anything to flavour at all, it’s only done to avoid customers complaining about cloudy/lumpy/snot-filled whisky when it’s been stored at very low temperatures. Lots of the smaller distillers don’t chill filter because it saves them the expense of buying the plant and they don’t export to regions where cold storage conditions are an issue.

Re the colouring, I’d say 99% of Whiskies have caramel in them, it’s the only additive allowed under the Scotch Whisky Act. Nearly all other brown spirits are coloured too, rum, brandy, tequila etc all use caramel to keep the colour uniform. Not something to worry about at all.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Funny how often chill filtration is mentioned as a negative thing. I’ve worked in the whisky industry for 30 years, several of which were spent designing filtration systems and being involved in very extensive trials to find if the chill filtration impacted the whisky flavour. Short answer is it doesn’t do anything to flavour at all, it’s only done to avoid customers complaining about cloudy/lumpy/snot-filled whisky when it’s been stored at very low temperatures. Lots of the smaller distillers don’t chill filter because it saves them the expense of buying the plant and they don’t export to regions where cold storage conditions are an issue.

Re the colouring, I’d say 99% of Whiskies have caramel in them, it’s the only additive allowed under the Scotch Whisky Act. Nearly all other brown spirits are coloured too, rum, brandy, tequila etc all use caramel to keep the colour uniform. Not something to worry about at all.

Nothing to “worry” about for sure. Neither will kill you.

But why add caramel other than to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer? 99% by volume is coloured for sure, but I would rather know that what I’m buying hasn’t been altered by science and is as natural as possible.

WRT to chill filtering, whilst I don’t work in the industry I know many that do. I’m sure it doesn’t alter flavour, texture though maybe? I think that is less well explored. Again, I’d rather not have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would happily pay a little more (and often do) to have something that is non chilled filtered and natural colour. For me It's a sign of a premium whisky with a higher abv, matured in decent casks.

Glendronach 18 yr old is an excellent example of this.

Craftsman
    Nothing to “worry” about for sure. Neither will kill you.

But why add caramel other than to pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer? 99% by volume is coloured for sure, but I would rather know that what I’m buying hasn’t been altered by science and is as natural as possible.

WRT to chill filtering, whilst I don’t work in the industry I know many that do. I’m sure it doesn’t alter flavour, texture though maybe? I think that is less well explored. Again, I’d rather not have it

Original reason for colour was pretty reasonable, which was to keep the colour uniform. If you saw a row of identical whiskies in a shop but one had a different coloured liquid you’d think something was wrong with it and that’d be a problem for the retailer as well as the producer. Over time I think the use has become increasingly dishonest as most consumers associate a darker colour with superior quality and greater age. That’s something I’d like the industry to move away from but given that brown spirits are produced and marketed globally I can’t see it happening. At least Scotch hasn’t got added sugar and flavours like many other spirits.

On the mouth feel question - I’ve sat in meetings where this has been debated by top tasters, scientists and master blenders and there isn’t any consensus one way or the other. Some think they can detect a difference, others can’t but it’s extremely marginal even in a lab tasting environment. Like you I’d be happy not to have my whisky chill filtered so for the last new product I worked on I got the bottle strength set at 45% to eliminate the need for it. That’s not something you could do for a big volume brand. My objection to chill filtration isn’t about flavour or mouth feel, just the fact that chill filtration plant requires energy and refrigerant gases so isn’t good for the environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Original reason for colour was pretty reasonable, which was to keep the colour uniform. If you saw a row of identical whiskies in a shop but one had a different coloured liquid you’d think something was wrong with it and that’d be a problem for the retailer as well as the producer. Over time I think the use has become increasingly dishonest as most consumers associate a darker colour with superior quality and greater age. That’s something I’d like the industry to move away from but given that brown spirits are produced and marketed globally I can’t see it happening. At least Scotch hasn’t got added sugar and flavours like many other spirits.

On the mouth feel question - I’ve sat in meetings where this has been debated by top tasters, scientists and master blenders and there isn’t any consensus one way or the other. Some think they can detect a difference, others can’t but it’s extremely marginal even in a lab tasting environment. Like you I’d be happy not to have my whisky chill filtered so for the last new product I worked on I got the bottle strength set at 45% to eliminate the need for it. That’s not something you could do for a big volume brand. My objection to chill filtration isn’t about flavour or mouth feel, just the fact that chill filtration plant requires energy and refrigerant gases so isn’t good for the environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good point on the environmental impact of chill filtering, hadn’t even really crossed my mind!

And that’s interesting- I always thought that 46% was seen as the spot to stop chill filtering?

Craftsman
    Good point on the environmental impact of chill filtering, hadn’t even really crossed my mind!

And that’s interesting- I always thought that 46% was seen as the spot to stop chill filtering?

There’s not an exact percentage that guarantees no chill flock as there are too many variables- wood type, blend composition, worst case storage conditions you’re allowing for. Malt contributes a lot more floc esters than grain. But it’s a frustratingly inconsistent phenomenon. I’ve had a dozen identical bottles of the same whisky in a test freezer and had really bad floc in some and none at all in others.

Craftsman
    First in a new series of annual releases from Macallan, at £75, with no ballet (just waiting room queue) and sold out within minutes...?

Managed to bag one, not bothered to drink it, will see if I can collect more in the series and then sell to a Rolex grey dealer type...shall we start a new "Ze List", or are we ok with this?

First in a new series of annual releases from Macallan, at £75, with no ballet (just waiting room queue) and sold out within minutes...?

Managed to bag one, not bothered to drink it, will see if I can collect more in the series and then sell to a Rolex grey dealer type...shall we start a new "Ze List", or are we ok with this?

Nice pick up... but no need to make a song and dance about it

Craftsman
    When doesn't a macallan LTD release sell out?

Annual release do the same now.

The funny thing is most mcallan and all their NOS is overpriced and doesn't meet expectations

Macallan hype > rolex hype

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

The funny thing is most mcallan and all their NOS is overpriced and doesn't meet expectations

Agreed fully...

Master
    I agree, it's (in some ways) a surprisingly good whisky (partly as I'm usually not so fond of those with a significant sherries character).
    I did a tasting involving it a few years ago and it went down especially well.

I would happily pay a little more (and often do) to have something that is non chilled filtered and natural colour. For me It's a sign of a premium whisky with a higher abv, matured in decent casks.

Glendronach 18 yr old is an excellent example of this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

18 year old sherry cask was good value about 10 years ago but it’s crazy now due to the Americans buying it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I remember years ago the coop near my brother in law selling off the old style white box Maccalan 12 year old Sherry cask off a few years ago for £18 a bottle I only bought 1 bottle they had a shelf full of the stuff

Looking forward to trying this

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post

Looking good!, UK has so many great whiskey that never is sold in Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post

Cheers

That sir is a fine dram, enjoy.

Any Black Friday malt deals around?

Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    Any Black Friday malt deals around?
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/scotch

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/irish-whisky

the green spot irish is worth a go if you have not tried a pot still whiskey

The final bottling - bottles to pick up next week..................

Nice-shaped bottle, makes a change from round.

Excellent scotch.

Craftsman
    Tried these two side by side today, and was quite interesting to discern the differences...the Edition 5 is more bourbon influenced, vanilla butterscotch notes, and the higher abv (48.5%) really makes it stand out. The 1824 Sienna is a more true to form sherried Macallan, but the extra few percent abv over the regular bottlings (43%) also lift it noticeably. I wonder how aged they are, and to my untrained nose/palate I'd hazard a guess they're not any older then 10-12 yrs...

Maybe I'll try a Macallan at some point, I'm yet to even order a dram over the bar.

In the mean time....

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Starting here this evening. Cheers!

Back from an early doors slurp . . .

. . . and a wee nip before some scran, probs finish the bottle later . . .

[/url]
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post

How good is Booths for booze. I was in the local one earlier and they always great beer on offer. £25 for 24 bottles of red peroni, winner.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Back from an early doors slurp . . .

Is that the Victoria?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Is that the Victoria?

It is indeed.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    How good is Booths for booze. I was in the local one earlier and they always great beer on offer. £25 for 24 bottles of red peroni, winner.
    Always have good offers on and they get a few bottles of something different (whisky wise) from other supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Let us know your thoughts