closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trieste

Craftsman

Trieste

4 of us are going to Trieste (by air) in May for a few days. None of us has any knowledge of the area so are looking for any recommendations from fellow travellers with experience of the place. Hotels (4 * std.) Locations to stay (old town, city centre, out of town etc.) Must sees/do etc. etc. Thanks

If you have the pasta be sure to order Mariana sauce, it has a wonderfully deep flavour.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If you have the pasta be sure to order Mariana sauce, it has a wonderfully deep flavour.
    ISWYDT

Master
    Marinara sauce?

Anyway this was very recently on Ch4 and may inspire, or irritate:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...mand/74279-001

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Marinara sauce?

Anyway this was very recently on Ch4 and may inspire, or irritate:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...mand/74279-001
    Mariana.

A little like how a Chicken Tarka is like Chicken Tikka, but a little otter.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Yes yum, good shout, one for the real trencherman.
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th April 2024 at 11:32.

This could be the best chance you'll ever have to read Ulysses.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    My wife is from the North East and Trieste is lovely. Its not touristic so you really can eat anywhere and have amazing food at a reasonable price

We did this last year https://www.ampmiramare.it/en/seawatching-en/

Miramare is great and walkable? Huge cave https://www.discover-trieste.it/code...nte-Giant-Cave

There’s a beach that’s walkable I think. Also, the central piazza over looks the Mediterranean which is the only one in Italy I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check maybe there is a daytrip to Postojna caves in Slovenia. Worth visit.

Blog Entries
    Every year, during Autumn, there’s sailing regatta called La Barcolana (no not Barcelona…). My oldest sailed on one of the participating ships.

I asked him about Triëste and he said that it’s a beautiful town “… nicer than the ones we visited on holiday” (Florance, Sienna…)

He also told that there’s a tram (trolley) going uphill on a very steep track. Sadly, it was out of order when he was there. “… but that looked spectacular!”

Blog Entries
    I work there every now and then…. The main square is stunning…. Some great restaurants too…. I can’t remember the names as I just follow my colleagues…. Sorry!

Craftsman
    I was there last September and really liked it.

The area around the main square, Piazza Unita, and the Grand Canal is full of good restaurants and coffee shops. They really pride themselves on their coffee and two I’d recommend are: Caffe degli Specchi on Piazza Unita and Caffe San Marco further back into the city.

Castlello di Miramare, just up the coast, is well worth a visit and is easily accessible by bus. But the one thing I’d recommend above anything is to take the short passenger ferry across to Muggia which is a charming hillside fishing village with some excellent restaurants around its harbour.

The previously mentioned tram which goes up to Opicina has not been running for some years, although some maintenance trucks were still using it when I was there. The general opinion was that it was unlikely to run anytime soon. Which is a shame because the hills and streets surrounding Trieste are VERY steep!

I stayed in a villa so can’t suggest any hotels. However, the ones around the Piazza Unita all looked good from the outside, particularly the ones facing the sea by the cruise ship pier.

I went last summer, a fantastic place - feels a little apart from the rest of Italy. I only spent two nights before heading on to Ljubljana and Zagreb.

It’s the coffee capital of Italy, home to the Illy brand.

The Caffe San Marco is a must, a charming and famous old place that doubles as a bookshop.

The Pizza Unita and Grand Canal are scenic and buzzing by day and night, perfect places to sit with a glass of wine or coffee and people watch. There’s market stalls with vintage watches to tempt also.

It’s a wonderful mix of a beautiful, historic city, but located near water, which adds a relaxing element.

Be sure to take a walk up to the Cathedral and adjacent Roman forum - provides wonderful views over all of Trieste and a perfect spot for a coffee (again). From there you can swing down past the Roman Theatre and then into the commercial part of the city.

I wouldn’t say it was a place with ‘must see’ sightseeing, more so a place to relax, walk by the harbour and just soak it all in.

AA Gill wrote a typically excellent account of Trieste in The Times:

“I went to Trieste on a caprice because I liked the name and knew nothing about it. And I realised it was how most people have come here. It is the second home of the remittance man, the lost, the uncertain, the lovelorn, those who want to forget. I have never been to a city that has such a singular atmosphere of otherness. A benign neurosis, beguiling and secretive. Trieste was, I suspect, always Europe’s plan B, caught in the folds of the map. You should see it to know that it is there, that if you ever need to be someone else, somewhere else, this is where you will find yourself. Trieste is a past master at avoiding history. Presente, presente, presente. It is here and not here. But it doesn’t do happy endings.”

Craftsman
    Many thanks to all. Lots for us to go on putting itinerary options together.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    There’s a massive Illy factory near where I work…. Forgot about that… (not worth a visit though!)

It was the main sea port for the Austrian empire…. Some of the architecture defiantly reminded me of Vienna