closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 4127

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Was very kindly gifted the below last week. Its a lovely drop.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...xoC_WQQAvD_BwE
    Be gentle with the plastic and cork stopper! I've got some of this from over 15 years ago, and it is indeed very drinkable.

I do rather like Chivas in general - they seem like a good bunch, for what is such a huge company.

Sampled some of this the other night whilst on a weekend spa break. Very, very moreish. So much so i tracked one down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Jura is swill though. You couldn't pay me £22 to drink a bottle of the stuff.

How they can keep getting it so consistently wrong is beyond me. It must be on purpose.
    I could never drink the stuff horrible, for a nice budget whiskey in my opinion I don’t think you can beat the strathisla 12 and the Old Putney 12

Blog Entries

How they can keep getting it so consistently wrong is beyond me. It must be on purpose.
    Oops - never tried it before…. Still a bit of novice at whisky!

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Nothing much wrong with Jura Journey, decent enough dram and great value at current prices.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Had really good reviews on Amazon, so, decided to give it a go…

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Nothing wrong with it. A good starter whisky, at a decent price. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Having a dram of my all-time favourite whisky tonight to celebrate new job.

I'm usually a super smoky Islay kinda guy, but these Murray McDavid bottlings of the 1995 Tobermory are just outrageously good. I've had it at 10 and 15 years old but this 20 year old is really special.

Tamnavulin Speyside on amazon prime day for £17.
    Not my favourite but still a very enjoyable, easy drinking whisky.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Tamnavulin Speyside on amazon prime day for £17.
    Not my favourite but still a very enjoyable, easy drinking whisky.

Some great deals on Game of Thrones branded overstock: Talisker, Oban and Lagavulin all around 40% off.

The issue with reviews, particularly those posted on Amazon, is that you can never be sure how qualified or experienced said reviewer is. The more you try the greater the range of reference points you have and the easier it becomes to define what you like, that's how I've found my journey to be anyway.

I've introduced and recommended whiskies to less experienced friends of mine though I can't be sure if their enjoyment of those spirits is because they genuinely like them or because they think they're good else i wouldn't have recommended them.

I personally haven't tried a Jura that I'd drink again though that's just me, if you're enjoying what you have there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The issue with reviews, particularly those posted on Amazon, is that you can never be sure how qualified or experienced said reviewer is. The more you try the greater the range of reference points you have and the easier it becomes to define what you like, that's how I've found my journey to be anyway.

I've introduced and recommended whiskies to less experienced friends of mine though I can't be sure if their enjoyment of those spirits is because they genuinely like them or because they think they're good else i wouldn't have recommended them.

I personally haven't tried a Jura that I'd drink again though that's just me, if you're enjoying what you have there's nothing wrong with that at all.
    Very much this. Also, everyone's tastes are different, not only in terms of what they like, but also what they can actually taste.

I've found that upon buying things based on different reviewers, I've begun to see which reviewers seem to have similar tastes to me and which are just way, way off my mark. However, that's only as a result of spending quite a bit on various bottles!

It's also really interesting how the exact same whisky changes in taste from one day to the next, and also (especially) when compared to another. I find the compare and contrast method the most enjoyable way of drinking - an excuse to have two on the go at once that also shows up the flavours that are/aren't in one/the other.

Some great deals on Game of Thrones branded overstock: Talisker, Oban and Lagavulin all around 40% off.
    I've intentionally ignored all GoT branded whiskies as I'm of the opinion that its all just a marketing (read bump up the price) exercise, though that's just my uninformed view as I haven't even read so much as a review let alone tried one.

At ~ 40% off I might be tempted to take a look though I'm on a self imposed purchasing ban until the new year as I have more than enough other bottles to be getting on with.

The issue with reviews, particularly those posted on Amazon, is that you can never be sure how qualified or experienced said reviewer is.
    It's not just Amazon where that's a problem. The other vendors with review sections are just as bad. They're all full of pointless 'this is smooth' reviews.

Founding out what whisky you like is a very long journey, and no one else can do it for you.

Anyway, I'm five bottles down so far on Prime Day. I gave the Oban GoT bottle a go - it's quite a hefty discount.

Blog Entries
    Can anyone recommend something on the Amazon deal? My favourite whisky is Bunahbain if that helps - I do like speyside mainly and am up for a challenge or some additional flavour, but draw the line at the likes of Laphroig (as that just tastes like medicine to me!)

Cheers
    Ben

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tamdhu12 or glengoyne 12 are both easy drinking, my preference of the 2 would be the tamdhu, very smooth
    Can anyone recommend something on the Amazon deal? My favourite whisky is Bunahbain if that helps - I do like speyside mainly and am up for a challenge or some additional flavour, but draw the line at the likes of Laphroig (as that just tastes like medicine to me!)

Cheers
    Ben
    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Tamdhu12 or glengoyne 12 are both easy drinking, my preference of the 2 would be the tamdhu, very smooth

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks my wife is getting me a bottle for my upcoming birthday!!! Will report back shortly !!!

Craftsman

I must have simple tastes?
    For me it's a great alternative to a mainstream blend for every day drinking.
    Slainte!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Cheers
    Ben
    Glenlivet Nadurra is on the amazon prime deal at a good price circa £38. It’s got a real punch to it without being harsh

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheers
    Ben
    Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask if you want to stick to Speyside and also want to try something a little different. It's partly matured in ex rum casks and they certainly impart some of that flavour into the whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    I must have simple tastes?
    For me it's a great alternative to a mainstream blend for every day drinking.
    Slainte!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    I don't get the issue people have with other people's whiskies; all that matters is that the drinker likes it, and they drink it how they like it. Enjoy your Jura how you like it!

I haven't had Jura in years, but I'd say ten years ago Jura (I think Superstition) beat Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10, hands down. I actually found those two repulsive.

Now I'm really into Lagavulin 16. Tastes change.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Glenlivet Nadurra is on the amazon prime deal at a good price circa £38. It’s got a real punch to it without being harsh
    I have to say that Nadurra is the only whisky I've ever found to be unpalatable without water. I like whisky with a bit of bite but that is way too strong for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I don't get the issue people have with other people's whiskies;
    I don't get the issue people have with other people's opinions. You don't have to be offended by them or take them as fact.

Three more Islays have made an entrance. The Port Charlotte Scottish Barley appears to have been discontinued, and given the similarity its nose is supposed to have with the beastly Octomore 8.3, I thought it worth a punt before it disappears forevermore.

This turned up today:

Only 48 sleeps to go !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current fave is Ardbeg Corryvrekan, smoky Islay!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask if you want to stick to Speyside and also want to try something a little different. It's partly matured in ex rum casks and they certainly impart some of that flavour into the whisky.
    Thanks both…. The Tandhu 12 is under the birthday tree…! Will consider for future options…. That’ll take my small gathering to four whiskies now!

First time trying Aberlour 18. This is (I believe) a now discontinued 70cl, as they are now only sold in 50cl bottles.

As always seems to be the case these days, I only have eyes for anything Sherry casked. This one turns out to be rather nice.

Blog Entries
    This just arrived.

Looking forward to sampling it later...

z

Just picked up a couple of these seems cheap with a tesco clubcard not sure if its a nation wide deal

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Benromach 10 arrived by post today. Looking forward to try it out ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Just picked up a couple of these seems cheap with a tesco clubcard not sure if its a nation wide deal

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    They have it on offer for £25 fairly regularly

Picked up a bottle of the Glengoyne 12 in the Prime sale. £27 seemed like a steal to me. Cheaper than the 10-year-old too. Look forward to testing it out tomorrow.

Ooof! The latest Macallan releases are...quite...hefty

https://www.whiskyshop.com/spotlight...cid=c69c133bf1

Starting at 69,995 GBP

Does anyone know the difference between the Glenlivet 18 and the Glenlivet 18 Batch Reserve?

I've found several sites selling the Batch Reserve as just 'Glenlivet 18' (e.g. https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/ and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-Y.../dp/B003ZIOXX4 ), but they're consistently £20 cheaper than the 'standard' Glenlivet 18.

Any pointers?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 16th October 2020 at 12:24.

Starting here tonight......

Master
    Ooof! The latest Macallan releases are...quite...hefty

https://www.whiskyshop.com/spotlight...cid=c69c133bf1

Starting at 69,995 GBP
    Haha I just got an invitation to register my interest for these today never in a million did I realise they would be that expensive, guess I won’t be getting a bottle of that then !! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Haha I just got an invitation to register my interest for these today never in a million did I realise they would be that expensive, guess I won’t be getting a bottle of that then !! Lol
    I'll bet it's lovely with a drop of coke.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Starting here tonight......

Always wanted to try Blanton’s but it’s always bloody sold out!

Does anyone know the difference between the Glenlivet 18 and the Glenlivet 18 Batch Reserve?

I've found several sites selling the Batch Reserve as just 'Glenlivet 18' (e.g. https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/ and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenlivet-Y.../dp/B003ZIOXX4 ), but they're consistently £20 cheaper than the 'standard' Glenlivet 18.

Any pointers?
    Do you have a link to the "'standard' Glenlivet 18" where it doesn't say Batch Reserve on the bottle / box?

This is from the Glenlivet website...18 Year Old. Sorry if I'm being obtuse...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Do you have a link to the "'standard' Glenlivet 18" where it doesn't say Batch Reserve on the bottle / box?

This is from the Glenlivet website...18 Year Old. Sorry if I'm being obtuse...
    You're definitely not being obtuse! It's really confusing.

Here's a couple without the Batch Reserve:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017P1QR..._5OHIFb6N13CX7

https://www.drinksdirect.com/glenliv...-old-70cl-1699

You're definitely not being obtuse! It's really confusing.

Here's a couple without the Batch Reserve:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017P1QR..._5OHIFb6N13CX7

https://www.drinksdirect.com/glenliv...-old-70cl-1699
    Ahh hang on, I think the Batch Reserve is the new release of the 18. So you can no longer get the non-Batch Reserve unless you find old stock.

The old was 43% and the new 40%. The problem arises because the distributors appear to be mixing the two up - I've now seen the Batch Reserve listed at 43%, and also the old bottle pictures being shown for listings at 40%.

It's one to actually call up and ask about I think!

Ahh hang on, I think the Batch Reserve is the new release of the 18. So you can no longer get the non-Batch Reserve unless you find old stock.

The old was 43% and the new 40%. The problem arises because the distributors appear to be mixing the two up - I've now seen the Batch Reserve listed at 43%, and also the old bottle pictures being shown for listings at 40%.

They do seem to have played with their have branding / strength over the years:

I think you're right...how is your German: YouTube link? I got as far as 'alt' and 'neu'...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Jamesons malt is my tipple, apologies to the Jocks, but this one is as smooth as a baby's smoothest bit.
    'Jameson Black Barrel' is as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I think you're right...how is your German: YouTube link? I got as far as 'alt' and 'neu'...
    That's a very useful presentation - thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!

I think I'll have to try and get a bottle of the old stuff before it's all gone (they know their sales tactics, that's for sure!).

Cracked this open last night, lovely drink, bit more mellow than the Uigeadail (which so far is my favourite whisky).
    Need to try some of the Laphroaig offerings.

Gentlemen, I was sure someone would post this already. Sorry that it's a bit late (limited time offer), but the Redbreast 12 is now 25% off on Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redbreast-S...s%2C152&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Cracked this open last night, lovely drink, bit more mellow than the Uigeadail (which so far is my favourite whisky).
    Need to try some of the Laphroaig offerings.

I believe this is Ardbegs flagship whisky. It's by far one of my favourite Islay ones...

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Gentlemen, I was sure someone would post this already. Sorry that it's a bit late (limited time offer), but the Redbreast 12 is now 25% off on Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Redbreast-S...s%2C152&sr=8-1
    How good is this? I’ve never tried it

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    It’s Irish so not very...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    If you like peaty, smoky stuff - not really good. If you like delicious, mouth-watering, Christmas in a glass - for this price, you won’t find better. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk