closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Grand Master

Re: Whiskey

giz a uigedial.....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaas sssssseee! :drunken:
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR
    Which one though? ;)

I've got a case or so of Renaissance and a few bottles of the Uigedal - not going to be opening those though, they're my 'safe queens' :)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries

Which one though? ;)

I've got a case or so of Renaissance and a few bottles of the Uigedal - not going to be opening those though, they're my 'safe queens' :)
    I'm easily pleased - the £30 10 YO works for me

I'm intrigued by the Blasda - may have to give that a try next

I'm oddly not - I wonder if its the clear bottle that has put me off

Jon - be nice to Tom (twhp101) - he'll source you a bottle of whatever you want :) I think the Oogie is still pretty widely available, isn't it?

Grand Master

not had a bottle but tried it at the distillery on my 40th birthday. i can say its my fav from the ardbeg range, like a peatier version of bunnhabhain, similar flavour profile but with a distinct smoky drift esp in the finish. as a card carrying laphroaig fan it may sound odd but i find ardbeg can be a bit all peat and no knickers, the peat overpowering everything else. blasda is much more complex yet mellow and would be a great session whisky. wish i could get it down here!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Which one though? ;)

I'm easily pleased - the £30 10 YO works for me

I'm intrigued by the Blasda - may have to give that a try next
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

oh i am :wink:
    I'm oddly not - I wonder if its the clear bottle that has put me off

Jon - be nice to Tom (twhp101) - he'll source you a bottle of whatever you want :) I think the Oogie is still pretty widely available, isn't it?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    not had a bottle but tried it at the distillery on my 40th birthday. i can say its my fav from the ardbeg range, like a peatier version of bunnhabhain, similar flavour profile but with a distinct smoky drift esp in the finish. as a card carrying laphroaig fan it may sound odd but i find ardbeg can be a bit all peat and no knickers, the peat overpowering everything else. blasda is much more complex yet mellow and would be a great session whisky. wish i could get it down here!
    Try here...

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/Produc ... spx?p=8928

z

Jon - Have you thought about joining the Ardbeg 'Committee'?

Picked up a bottle of Deanston 12 year single malt today, I have not come accross it before. I'll have a few drams tonight when I put my feet up. :drunken:

Has anyone given the Japanese single malt a go - while I was in Selfridges a while back I overheard one of the sales guys say that it was outselling the real thing in the run up to Chirstmas.

I've got to say that I do like the Lagavulin range. But I am very new to the whole whiskey experience!

Grand Master

give suntory yamakazi 10 yr or if you can get it, 12 yr a go. very impressive.the 10yr is almost minty!
    Quote Originally Posted by josep
    Has anyone given the Japanese single malt a go - while I was in Selfridges a while back I overheard one of the sales guys say that it was outselling the real thing in the run up to Chirstmas.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

tried an experiment last night, as a possible precursor to trying a bottle of a vatted malt called doublebarrel. i used a 50% measure or laphroaig 10yr and 50% macallan excelsior 12yr old, stuck them in a decanter to mingle for an hour or two, and then drannk. the result? smoky, oak, sherryish and sweet, and then a massive sweet treacle toffee kick with huge smoke in the finish. intruiging! :D
    Have you tried Lagavulin Distillers Edition ( http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11001.aspx ) as your description sounds exactly like it? If you haven't you really should. It's amazing (just ask GregR)!

Grand Master

indeed i have! on this trip....
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88760&hilit=+islay+40
    Quote Originally Posted by twhp101
    tried an experiment last night, as a possible precursor to trying a bottle of a vatted malt called doublebarrel. i used a 50% measure or laphroaig 10yr and 50% macallan excelsior 12yr old, stuck them in a decanter to mingle for an hour or two, and then drannk. the result? smoky, oak, sherryish and sweet, and then a massive sweet treacle toffee kick with huge smoke in the finish. intruiging! :D
    Have you tried Lagavulin Distillers Edition ( http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11001.aspx ) as your description sounds exactly like it? If you haven't you really should. It's amazing (just ask GregR)!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

If I had to choose just one keeper from my current cabinet, Highland Park 16yo.. it's better than the 18 or even 21yo in my opinion and a lot of friends agreed when I had it blind-tasted to check if I'm crazy.

Other regulars include:
    - Caol Ila 16yo
    - Bowmore Mariner and cask-strength
    - Lagavulin 16yo
    - Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig

So yes, I like the smoke, peat & salt to be there, especially in the wintertime. As the days warm and brighten, I tend to migrate towards gin anyway :drunken:

Edit: Argh I'm at 999 posts?! Have to shut up and sleep now, I guess tomorrow I need to pull together a worthy post with the obligatory pictures :shock:

Grand Master

no, will have a look, similar the friends of laphroaig i take it?
    Jon - Have you thought about joining the Ardbeg 'Committee'?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master

arran 9yo old douglas laings old malt cask bottling in the glass tonight.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I just saw this on BBC, some folks have found 3 crates of whisky buried in the antarctic over 100 years ago by Ernest Shackleton. 8)

I have no idea if that'd be drinkable, would it?

A guy from Whyte and Mackay is on about analyzing it and replicating the blend, since the recipes have long since been lost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8499931.stm

Grand Master

tonight its a single cask laphroaig from lockett bros "the bass"
    words fail me its...mmmmmmwwwwwwahhhh! :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

'87 Lagavulin Dist. Edition for me last night. Very tasty :drunken:

Craftsman

Watching a recorded episode of Mad Men with a glass of Talisker in hand. Awesome (on both counts).

Since I last posted on this thread I have started using a Glencairn glass for whisky drinking. I was a little sceptical but it really does make a positive difference to the experience.

D.

Grand Master

last night in the Old English Gentleman in Hull, Glenfarclas 105 and a Douglas Laing bottling of Ardbeg, distilled 1995 and bottled on 2006 at 50%. wonderful and more genteel than the standard expression, the best Ardbeg i have ever tasted. it was so good our crew of three malt fiends killed off the bottle! :drunken: :) :D 8) :P
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Hi

I'm new here but wanted to say that i'm also a whisky lover. Love a good Islay malt. Right now i'm sipping on a Bowmore of 12 years old.
    Pure happines. CHEERS

Daniel

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DMR
    Watching a recorded episode of Mad Men with a glass of Talisker in hand. Awesome (on both counts).

Since I last posted on this thread I have started using a Glencairn glass for whisky drinking. I was a little sceptical but it really does make a positive difference to the experience.

D.

Also drinking out of Glencairns. Love them! Having a nice but inexpensive Auchentoshan tonight and watching the footy. It's only tuesday after all...

Macallan 25yr old or a Springbank 15yr old are both superb. If you like a peaty whisky then try an Ardbeg

Ardbeg are launching a decade bottling this morning..Rollercoaster

Thanks Bruce, the Rollercoaster looks interesting but can't seem to get on the Ardbeg website at the moment. It appears you have to join "the committee" to buy a bottle? :?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Braider
    It appears you have to join "the committee" to buy a bottle? :?
    This is true.

Slightly deflated critical reception for Rollercoaster by the looks. Good-ish and not quite so good.

All academic though as I doubt i'll ever get to try it.

Ardbeg's website crashed yesterday - 25,000 people tried to log on and purchase Rollercoaster and that was too much for it. I'm awaiting an email to advise its up and running again (Committee Member) and I'll probably pick up a few bottles.

Ardbeg's website crashed yesterday - 25,000 people tried to log on and purchase Rollercoaster and that was too much for it. I'm awaiting an email to advise its up and running again (Committee Member) and I'll probably pick up a few bottles.
    I am a commitee member as well, maximum 2 bottles I think

Just managed to snag a bottle of 10 year old Bladnoch. 8)
    I'm pretty sure it's from the new production, although the label is identical to the bottle I put away in 1995 after the distillery was mothballed, the bottle itself is slightly different

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    I am a commitee member as well, maximum 2 bottles I think
    Thats the website up again - 2 bottles snared :)

Grand Master

arbelour 10yo tonite. an underrated (and usually v cheap!) whack of sherry/toffee with this one
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Supping The Glenrothes tonight...I love the shape of the bottle...feels like a hand grenade

Was my birthday the other day and a couple of my brothers and my sister-in-law chipped in and bought me a bottle of Ardbeg MOR. It's 4.5 litres :shock: . I didn't know they even made malt whisky in bottles that size. It seems I'm turning into a bit of an Arbeg collector - another thing to help empty my bank account :roll: .

Grand Master

tonight matthew i'm going to be....
    a paaaarty!
    Was my birthday the other day and a couple of my brothers and my sister-in-law chipped in and bought me a bottle of Ardbeg MOR. It's 4.5 litres :shock: . I didn't know they even made malt whisky in bottles that size. It seems I'm turning into a bit of an Arbeg collector - another thing to help empty my bank account :roll: .
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Got a few on the go....latest are Lagavulin 16, Glenfiddich 18 and Cardhu 12.

Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    Just got a bottle of Johnny Walker "Swing."

Not a whiskey drinker, but what do you guys think of that one-good place to start?

Chris
    For single malts Balvenie is a good place to start. Johnny Walker are blends. Mose agree more character in a single malt.

Other good ones to try are anything sherried, or the Glenfiddich, Glenlivet are a good value as well. Anything cheaper and your better off starting fires with it.

I always suggest Macallan as a 'starter' malt. Before you know it you'll be indulging in the smokey side of peat and will be draining bottles of Lagavulin and Laphroig !

On another note, I received my two bottles of Ardbeg Rollercoaster last night - disapointingly no commemorative box ... no box at all other than the one the DHL man delivered. Not sure whether to keep 'em both or slurp one and save the other.

I always suggest Macallan as a 'starter' malt. Before you know it you'll be indulging in the smokey side of peat and will be draining bottles of Lagavulin and Laphroig !

On another note, I received my two bottles of Ardbeg Rollercoaster last night - disapointingly no commemorative box ... no box at all other than the one the DHL man delivered. Not sure whether to keep 'em both or slurp one and save the other.
    Good shout with the Macallan, although the original version is getting harder to find as everyone's selling the Fine Oak these days.

Def. slurp one of the Ardbegs as they're never going to be worth enough to pay the mortgage off so you may as well enjoy :wink: .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard
    Supping The Glenrothes tonight...I love the shape of the bottle...feels like a hand grenade

I am slowly working my way through a bottle of this, distilled in 1974(?) and bottled in the late 90’s. I have never tasted anything like it absolutely stunning.

I have tried to get another bottle but the nearest vintage I can find is 1978 and at £300 per bottle :shock: I may just give it a miss!

Grand Master

going to my brothers for a couple of days, accompanied by a bottle of glenlivet french oak reserve 15yo
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

I've just picked up a bottle of 18year single Malt Bladnoch :)

18 YO Bladnoch @ 46%

BOURBON MATURED
    18YO single malt distillery label
    Size - 70cl
    Strength - 46%

This whisky has matured for 18 years in a high quality bourbon cask bottled at strength 46%abv and is a rich golden colour.

Colour: Rich golden
    Nose: aromatic, firm, rich. Apricot, citrus fruits. Pepper & butter toffee.
    Taste: Smooth, oily. Grassy, lemony. Fruity - apple, pear. White flowers, cut grass.
    Finish: Lingering, liquorice. Hints of melon, red fruits - raspberry, strawberry. Citrus.

Tasting notes are for guidance only. All are single cask bottlings therefore there will be variations in taste.

Hand bottled and labelled at the distillery.
    There has been no chill filtration therefore the whisky may appear cloudy or contain fine sediment / charcoal from the cask.

http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/

Master

Slightly OT, but what the hell, just bought a 48 year old Armagnac to help with my 48th on Sunday.

May have a few 25 and 30 year only malts on Saturday to put me in the mood

Sean

going to my brothers for a couple of days, accompanied by a bottle of glenlivet french oak reserve 15yo
    How're you getting on with the Glenlivet? It's 21yo Benromach for me tonight :drunken:

Journeyman

Probably hackneyed, but johnny walker blue label is pretty darn good.
    I have tried most of the highland parks, as i grow up there, but just not a fan!
    A Glenlivet is very good also, be it 12 yr "first fill" or 25 yr old sherry cask

Grand Master

going across to my brothers tomorrow, but just sammpling a nadurra glenlivet 16yo to get me in the mood b4 bed, oddly it reminds me of werthers originals, but in a good way!
    How're you getting on with the Glenlivet? It's 21yo Benromach for me tonight :drunken:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Glenmorangie 100 Proof for me tonight - jetfuel.

Master

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition at Heathrow yesterday.. double matured 17yo or so. And we tried it at home with SWMBO, was quite nice. Somewhere between "normal" 16yo Lagavulin and Caol Ila. Next time I'll add a drop of water, felt like it could benefit.

Oh and Balvenie Double Wood is what I pour for people "who don't drink whiskey".. now most of them do :lol: Not really for me though, I need the peat, smoke and saltiness.

I love the Lagavulin double matured whiskey for a nice combination of both smoke, sea and some hints of honey...