closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Longrow, refill sherry, distilled 29/10/99, bottled 17/6/14 (55.0% abv).

Interesting. Peaty, smokey but with caramel on the nose. Oilier than other Longrows I've tasted. Needs water to open it up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    This is the truth, although with the caveat that if it was the 15 yr old you tried, it got dropped and replaced by the 18yr old as reviews were not great...
    Nope. I am comparing to the 18Y, not the 15Y.

Just picked up another bottle of Quarter Cask. Gawd dammit. It's a brilliant drop. It should feature in any Whiskey lover's rotation.

Master
    Chaps

I was once a whisky collector. Every time I went abroad I came back with a bottle of whisky and the end result is that I still have over 60 unopened bottles of the stuff stashed away.

Best tipple to date is Tamdhu.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Fancy selling some?!

Opened a Bal Blair 10yo last night. Was delish, light creamy and spicy. Yum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

I was once a whisky collector. Every time I went abroad I came back with a bottle of whisky and the end result is that I still have over 60 unopened bottles of the stuff stashed away.

Best tipple to date is Tamdhu.

Regards

Mick
    60? I like your style.

having the boys round tomorrow night for a few whiskys ...... this is what I've got...favourites include Tomintoul 16 & Dalmore 15. Some of the guys like peaty so got in the Laphroaig 18 as a treat. Couldn't help having a little taste tonight - have to say its pretty good !

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    having the boys round tomorrow night for a few whiskys ...... this is what I've got...favourites include Tomintoul 16 & Dalmore 15. Some of the guys like peaty so got in the Laphroaig 18 as a treat. Couldn't help having a little taste tonight - have to say its pretty good !

Great spread there, something for everyone! I only have one blend myself and that's the Monkey Shoulder, I finished a Dalwhinnie 15y a couple of months ago, I've a Laphroaig tucked away and the Dalmore 15y is one of my favourites. It's also the only distillery I've visited, and twice at that.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy Knockando. In fact, as I have a sort of man-flu going on at the moment, I reminded myself a couple of times last evening.

after being a devoted bourbon drinker for years (bad whisky experience in my teens!), i have discovered i love chivas regal 12 years.
    i appreciated this is not one for the purists as it is blended.
    any suggestions of single malts or blends i might like. was thinking of giving jonnie walker a go.
    it is nice to finally find a whisky i like as i am scottish!

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    after being a devoted bourbon drinker for years (bad whisky experience in my teens!), i have discovered i love chivas regal 12 years.
    i appreciated this is not one for the purists as it is blended.
    any suggestions of single malts or blends i might like. was thinking of giving jonnie walker a go.
    it is nice to finally find a whisky i like as i am scottish!
    How about Balvenie 12 Year Old DoubleWood? It's matured in ex-bourbon casks before being finished in sherry casks, so it will not be a million miles away from some of the bourbons you might've enjoyed. I also had a bad whisky experience on my teens and could not stand the smell or taste of the stuff until, 25 odd years later, I had had the odd bourbon for around 6 months. Now, I generally find bourbon too sweet and whiskey/whisky much more interesting in terms of range and taste complexity. You'll be drinking stinky peats before long
    Last edited by Argon; 14th November 2014 at 13:36.

Not a big Whisky drinker and when i do i prefer the pale looking stuff so whats that Auchentoshaw like?seems its been given a good tasting based on whats left!

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    How about Balvenie 12 Year Old DoubleWood? It's matured in ex-bourbon casks before being finished in sherry casks, so it will not be a million miles away from some of the bourbons you might've enjoyed. I also had a bad whisky experience on my teens and could not stand the smell or taste of the stuff until, 25 odd years later, I had had the odd bourbon for around 6 months. Now, I generally find bourbon too sweet and whiskey/whisky much more interesting in terms of range and taste complexity. You'll be drinking stinky peats before long
    Thanks for the suggestion...if you want to give bourbon another try, woodford reserve is a lovely drop.
    There was a time when I didn't mind Laphroaig..doesn't get much more peaty than that!

Quote Originally Posted by kozza6 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion...if you want to give bourbon another try, woodford reserve is a lovely drop.
    There was a time when I didn't mind Laphroaig..doesn't get much more peaty than that!
    Laphroaig? You're on your way!

I like Master of Malt's desciption of Woodford Reserve - I may need to pick up a bottle on the way home from work...

The nose is quite thick and creamy. There are notes of honey and spice, leather, a touch of cocoa, a little smoke, toasty oak and vanilla cream with a hint of butterscotch. The palate is thick and full. There are notes of espresso beans, winter spice, cereal sweetness, plenty of rye, ground ginger, almond oil, toasty oak and a little rum. The finish is long and mature with notes of cereals and toasty oaken spice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    Not a big Whisky drinker and when i do i prefer the pale looking stuff so whats that Auchentoshaw like?seems its been given a good tasting based on whats left!
    Auchenston is a very smooth, easy dram to drink.. Think i once heard someone refer to it as a Breakfast whisky! Was on offer last time i was in Asda @ 22 per bottle for which it is decent vfm.

Dan, Blue Label, never tried it and am considering treating myself to a bottle for christmas.. whats your verdict?

I've just started a bottle of Aldi's Blended Islay, stonkingly good tipple for £19. :)

So 11 pals came round last night for whisky tasting. Some random observations:-
    Monkey Shoulder – with everything else that was on offer this did not get one taker !
    Geln Garioch – perfectly pleasant but nothing to write home about
    Blue Label – certainly has a snob/price factor, but people seem to enjoy it, or maybe just being offered it
    Ben Riach – a popular alternative to Dalwhinnie – nice a smooth
    Tomintoul 12 sherry cask – some preferred this to the Tomintoul 16, definitely one to try as its great value
    Tomintoul 16 – super smooth and super popular – nearly all gone, so lucky I bought another bottle that I can enjoy this winter
    Glenmorangie Lasanta – also popular and very drinkable. Seemed to get poured as though it were apple juice !
    Laphroaig 18 – I’m not a peaty man at all, so as I was only getting one bottle of peaty in I pushed the boat out and went for one that is meant to be one of the finest (with a price tag to match)…. Unbelievably medicinal on the nose, but remarkably smooth and smoky in a rather pleasant way. Maybe in 10 years time my taste will develop in this direction – this gave me a hint of why people like the stuff
    Auchentoshan – not that great in this company…too much citrus taste for me.
    Dalmore 15 – one of my favourites and also with my pals. Lucky it’s a 1 litre bottle as a lot went. Another smooth one with great flavour.
    If I had to take 1 to a desert island it would for me be the Dalmore 15.

and not one Glenfarclas was seen that day.

The Monkey Shoulder isn't bad for a blend though.

I would start on the Dalwhinnie and then go straight to to the Laphroaig.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Currently I am sipping:

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam Honey
    Jim Beam Red Stag
    Glenfiddich 14
    Glenfiddich 15
    Balblair 2003 first release

Have just ordered a 50ml of Suntry Hibiki and pondering what to put my £30 Amazon voucher towards. The Yamakazi 18 is tempting but £145 is perhaps too rich for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Currently I am sipping:

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam Honey
    Jim Beam Red Stag
    Glenfiddich 14
    Glenfiddich 15
    Balblair 2003 first release

Have just ordered a 50ml of Suntry Hibiki and pondering what to put my £30 Amazon voucher towards. The Yamakazi 18 is tempting but £145 is perhaps too rich for me.
    The Suntory Hibiki is probably enough in itself to make you stop buying Jim Beam or JD unless you really are a hardcore Bourbon drinker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    The Suntory Hibiki is probably enough in itself to make you stop buying Jim Beam or JD unless you really are a hardcore Bourbon drinker.
    I like a JD and Coke and the others over ice, not sure that will stop but I am broadening my horizons a bit,

I like a JD and Coke and the others over ice, not sure that will stop but I am broadening my horizons a bit,

If you like your Bourbon with coke, have you tried Makers Mark?, also great with ginger beer and ice. Not something i drink these days but i did in the past.

Anyway enjoy the Hibiki, it's good stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like your Bourbon with coke, have you tried Makers Mark?, also great with ginger beer and ice. Not something i drink these days but i did in the past.

Anyway enjoy the Hibiki, it's good stuff.
    Drank lots of MM when I visited a pal in the states, it was a long time ago but I remember liking it. I may invest in a different Bourbon for Christmas (any excuse will do!)

Craftsman
    I've just started buying whisky again after a long lay off due to spending most of my alcohol funds on wine and craft pale ale and I've hit on a problem. The 2 bottles I've had recently have been Jura origins and Aberlour 10 and both have been a bit disappointing as they seem to be too sweet for my tastes. Back when I used to buy whisky a lot Macallen was my go to tipple but I've got a feeling that my taste buds have changed and that might be too sweet now as well.
    Can anybody suggest a decent bottle that's not too medicinal that I might enjoy for less than say, £45 tops?
    I've been toying with the idea of maybe going Japanese for a change, is that a good idea?
    I'm going to D Byrne's in Clitheroe on Saturday and they've got literally 100's of different whiskies so as long as you don't suggest anything seriously leftfield I should be able to source it no problem.

Master
    Japan is not a bad place to look, but you'll possibly be pushing the £45 budget.

An unusual whisky at a reasonable price (30ish quid if memory serves me right) is Finlaggan Old Reserve. Just been drinking what little I have left of mine, and will be trying the cask strength one next I think.

A Glenlivet 12 (widely available) is not a bad call either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post

A Glenlivet 12 (widely available) is not a bad call either.
    On sale in Morrisons (so probably others too) at under £18:

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/morris...forwarded=true

Master
    Bargain

Craftsman
    I've been told to clear a space if I want to buy anymore. That's because I tend to leave a few drams in a bottle, and then move onto something else; I like the idea of having a variety to offer.

Anyone else think along those lines?

Anyway this weekend I've finished off a bottle of Monkey Shoulder, a Bowmore 12 yo, and a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's been a pleasant weekend so far

Master
    I think along the same lines. Unfortunately, I have either just finished or I am coming to the end of a number of bottles though. Certainly time to replenish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So, my comments on here last night have got me thinking. I want a bottle of nice Bourbon, I have about £50 to spend and want something that is a little off the beaten track (not JD or JB), Markers Mark had been suggested, what else would you (the masses) suggest?

Master
    So, my comments on here last night have got me thinking. I want a bottle of nice Bourbon, I have about £50 to spend and want something that is a little off the beaten track (not JD or JB), Markers Mark had been suggested, what else would you (the masses) suggest?
    The Woodford Reserve is nice and on offer at Waitrose currently.

Honestly, Lidl have a couple of crackers in their stores.
    Makers Mark is a big favourite of mine.
    Knob Creek is also excellent.
    Don't dismiss the Jim Beam / Jack Daniels special editions, they are generally very good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Honestly, Lidl have a couple of crackers in their stores.
    If one happens to agree with your taste buds, then there is very little with better vfm.

For omething more ' exclusive' there is a rather unusual one from Frylan; Us Heit Destillery. You can buy bottled cask and even a 12 liter cask.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    If one happens to agree with your taste buds, then there is very little with better vfm.

For omething more ' exclusive' there is a rather unusual one from Frylan; Us Heit Destillery. You can buy bottled cask and even a 12 liter cask.
    I was responding to a Bourbon post as opposed to a single malt.
    Even a heathen like me knows the difference.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I was responding to a Bourbon post as opposed to a single malt.
    Even a heathen like me knows the difference.
    Beejeezes, had a cold bucket of water pored over you by the better half or do you have oversize toe length all of yourself??

There is a time and place for either, all.
    I have very enjoyable beer in can AND Trappist just like ditto wine and ditto whiskey. I appreciate them ALL for what they are.
    See

which Whiskey I am enjoying at present as it happens to agree with my taste buds.

as a seasoned bourbon drinker, the western gold 6 years at lidl is pretty good.
    vastly superior to standard jim beam....about £15 quid a pop.
    i don't think it compares too badly to maker's mark either!

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Laphroaig? You're on your way!

I like Master of Malt's desciption of Woodford Reserve - I may need to pick up a bottle on the way home from work...
    let me know how you get on!

The Evan Williams Single Barrel isn't bad; I tend to drink/mix WR or Jefferson's Small Batch, and sip Four Roses SB. Still got some Buffalo Trace Oats Experimentation Collection hanging around somewhere...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It's been a long day today, relaxing with a Glenfiddich 21 year old havana reserve at the moment.
    Is it labelled Havana Reserve? Where did you get that from? Can't seem to find it north of the border!

Craftsman
    This weeks remnants to go include The Glenlivet 12 and the Balvennie Doublewood, but I can't face getting shot of the Bowmore Darkest; never mind I have space for some new stock now:)

I'm the least snobbish whisky drinker going (I posted earlier in this thread about favouring Whyte & Mackay, aka "central heating for tramps"), but a dram of Dalmore Cigar Malt recently had my wallet opening. Sublime.

Master
    Picked up a new bottle of Glenlivet yesterday. Happy with that as I start to replenish (I managed to finish off the remnants of the Glenlivet, Laphroaig, Ileach, and Finlaggan over the past week and a half). Still, it's Christmas approaching and no doubt there will be a bottle or two as gifts too.

Any decent deals around atm in the run up to xmas?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Not such a bargain but Tescos have Glenlivet 12 for £20, and I only was meant to get some milk.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Not such a bargain but Tescos have Glenlivet 12 for £20, and I only was meant to get some milk.
    So funny.

If I get my hands on some Lagavulin 16 I'm a happy man.

Hot deal 3yrs 11months ago .... Pass me the time machine

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Hot deal 3yrs 11months ago .... Pass me the time machine
    Makes the Tesco price quite reasonable then😀

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Opened door number one of my whisky advent calendar last night to find a lovely sample of Mortlach 18yo.

Left me wanting more... might have to get a bottle of something special to stop me from opening the rest of the calendar !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Opened door number one of my whisky advent calendar last night to find a lovely sample of Mortlach 18yo.

Left me wanting more... might have to get a bottle of something special to stop me from opening the rest of the calendar !
    I was thinking about buying that. Nice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cracked the Suntory Hibiki open tonight, what a lovely tipple . Must resist the urge to drink to much before the holidays start. Have also purchased some Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve.

Hibiki is fantastic.

I have just got hold of some Nikka Coffey.