closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Hybrid View

Whiskey

I often top up my malt stock in the run up to Xmas and it usually lasts me well.

I have tried most and have some fave's - what's yours.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I was recently gifted some 'American Honey'.
    Interesting stuff.

Master
    I've literally drunk my last drop of whiskey tonight - which is a sad state of affairs as I had five different ones open last month.

My everyday choice is Laphroaig 10 and I love Lagavulin 16. Can someone recommend me something along either of those lines for a bit of a change?

Two of my favourites there. Laphroaig quarter cask is lovely and a change from the 10yr. Caol ila is another I love and I'm sure you will too. There's also the caol ila moch if you see it anywhere.

Caol Ila Moch tends to be found in waitrose... my other half bought me home a bottle when it was half price recently! Not too bad for a punt really... although 10 yo Jura still a favourite!

Craftsman

Monkey Shoulder

Just been given a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. it's a blend of 3 malts from Grants inc Glenfiddich which isn't one of my favourites. Any one tried it?

Thanks, Neil

Must get to Asda tho!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Two of my favourites there. Laphroaig quarter cask is lovely and a change from the 10yr. Caol ila is another I love and I'm sure you will too. There's also the caol ila moch if you see it anywhere.
    I'm a big fan of the quarter cask and Caol ila as well. Both lovely whiskeys.

Haven't tried caol ila moch - and don't remember having seen it either. Will be keeping my eye out - thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I've literally drunk my last drop of whiskey tonight - which is a sad state of affairs as I had five different ones open last month.

My everyday choice is Laphroaig 10 and I love Lagavulin 16. Can someone recommend me something along either of those lines for a bit of a change?

I love the Islay's, but I can heartily recommend the current batch of Longrow CV as a reasonably priced Campbletown take on peated whisky ...... If you don't like it I'd be surprised!

Master
    Some good thoughts there. Thanks.

Grand Master
    Ardbeg 10 Y.O. here - 1litre bottle bought at Krakow airport for £27 - bargain!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    I love the Islay's, but I can heartily recommend the current batch of Longrow CV as a reasonably priced Campbletown take on peated whisky ...... If you don't like it I'd be surprised!
    Visited Springbank a few weeks ago. Most impressive. Came away with a bottle of Rundlets & Kilderkins and some of their Export Strength Old Raj gin.

Very much enjoyed the Glengyle / Kilkerran story too.

Springbank Distillery by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Glengyle Stills by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Master

Re: Whiskey

Talisker - have tried many bit keep coming back to it as it has such a lovely and unusual flavour.

Craftsman
    Laphroaig was what originally got me into whiskey, and I do still enjoy that now and again. I must say though, on a regular night I don't think there's much better than settling down with a bit of Bruichladdich Rocks, very nice indeed!

Journeyman
    I was holding off posting on this thread, but I just have to offer thanks for the immense plethora of good ideas I've taken from it :)

Up until now I've been enjoying the various Ardbegs - Almost There, Aligator and the standard 10 year, but this thread has gotten me a great deal more excited about the many Japanese variants of Whisky.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Been drinking Woodford Reserve this week. Tastes like petrol ffs.

Journeyman
    Picked up a bottle of Sainsburys islay single malt, as a cheap bottle to take away on a holiday. What can I say very impressed. I'm in islay man in the lagavulin, caol ila camp and its up there. Great pick up for an every day bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Surface View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Sainsburys islay single malt, as a cheap bottle to take away on a holiday. What can I say very impressed. I'm in islay man in the lagavulin, caol ila camp and its up there. Great pick up for an every day bottle.
    If I remember correctly the larger supermrkets "own brands" are produced by people like springbank , laga etc here's a link http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5482

Grand Master
    last time i tried it, Tescoes islay was definitely a Caol Ila, and i'm fairly sure Sainsburys is a Bruichladdich.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    If I remember correctly the larger supermrkets "own brands" are produced by people like springbank , laga etc here's a link http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5482
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    last time i tried it, Tescoes islay was definitely a Caol Ila, and i'm fairly sure Sainsburys is a Bruichladdich.
    Used to be vice versa, I'm sure spring bank produce a fair amount for both as well. Funny thing is when you work out the cost per 70cl (as they are sold in 50cl bottles I think) they are virtualy the same price as the 'name brand'.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    glad it is not just me that thinks this, I like it but not as good as the hype.

Wish I had got a bottle of Black Bush or Bulliet.

Master
    Bought myself a ticket to this event here in Calgary -

http://www.crowfootliquor.com/events/whiskey-fest

50 whiskies from around the world, I went to this event last year and was a fabulous evening. You have tasting notes from the staff, but of course after about 20 or so, you can't really write very clearly. And of course, they give you a 20% discount voucher at the end of the night

Highly recommended if you're in the area

Whiskey

I've tried that myself - very acceptable

Cheers,
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I'm not a Bourbon fan normally but this one's horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve264 View Post
    I've tried that myself - very acceptable

Cheers,
    Steve
    Agreed.

Craftsman
    A bottle of Penderyn ( the welsh stuff)

I'd never have bought it, as obviously the Welsh are trying to muscle in on our traditional industries:)

But I'm interested in trying it!

Anyone taken the plunge?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    A bottle of Penderyn ( the welsh stuff)

I'd never have bought it, as obviously the Welsh are trying to muscle in on our traditional industries:)

But I'm interested in trying it!

Anyone taken the plunge?
    Yep, go for it!
    Both me and me brother like it -several bottles down the line......... And still liking it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tt600 View Post
    Yep, go for it!
    Both me and me brother like it -several bottles down the line......... And still liking it.
    My local Wetherspoons sell it so I guess others will if you just want to try it. It's an interesting mix of tastes which I like but my old man doesn't.

As an aside, for Christmas, I got various bottles including a Triple Wood Laphroiag which I'm drinking now. Wow is all I can say to that - we went to a pub with an inglenook fire burning away on the weekend - that sums up what it smells like. The taste is sweet and smokey. It's an interesting one.

Craftsman
    That triple wood is lovely, the quarter cask is what's often in my decanter (it's divine for the price), and the stock is my pub whiskey. Managed to pick up a bottle of the 18yo this summer for £45 which was an utter bargain. Been taking it easy but it's a lovely tipple.

Quote Originally Posted by tt600 View Post
    Yep, go for it!
    same here, I really like it. I think it is similar to glenmorangie 10yo.

I got some macallan and lochnagar, both of which are delicious.

Journeyman
    Bunnahabhain or Highland Park are my Whiskies of choice. Bunahabhain is a non peaty Islay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    Bunnahabhain or Highland Park are my Whiskies of choice. Bunahabhain is a non peaty Islay.

Another vote for Bunnahabhain - just tucking into a wee nip just now...

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    Another vote for Bunnahabhain - just tucking into a wee nip just now...
    I was drinking that last night, delicious stuff.

Whiskey

I've tried that myself with favourable results

Cheers,
    Steve.

Master

I once had a fascinating conversation with a real whiskey expert whilst stuck on Stornoway working. It was "The Kirk". so we were stuck in the hotel unable to work or shop.

This chap worked for a distributer of wines and spirits and was on business there going round various small distilleries and he said, quite categorically, that many people in the know consider that whisky does not improve at all after 18 year's and that older whiskies were just a waste of money!

It was on this trip that i discovered the dubious delights of "Trawler Rum". :-)

I have recently been given some Bruichladdich cask strength (in a numbered bottle, matured 11 years and bottled in 1997!) - blooming lovely!

Cheers,

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Just having a couple of drams of Johnnie Walker Red Label - delicious. I know its nothing special but I love it.
    I'll be dipping into the Double Black shortly. Lovely stuff & pretty good vfm.

z

Glenfiddich for me tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

Glenfiddich for me tonight!

Aldi have their Glen Marnoch 24yr old Speyside in @ £30.
    Last years' was indistiguishable from Glenmorangie Sonalta PX, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

I've a few bottles on the go and a few as yet to be opened.

Opened -

Glenlivet 12yr Speyside
    Old Pulteney 12yr Highland
    Macallan Masters' Edition Highland
    Glenmorangie 10yr Highland

Yet to try -

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12yr (Sherry casks), Quinta Ruban 12yr (Port casks) and Nectar D'Or 12yr (Sauternes casks), all miniatures as part of a Glenmorangie "Discovery Pack"
    Isle of Jura, Bruichladdich, Tamnavulin, Tullibardine, and The Invergordan Single Highland Grain, again all miniatures from a box set from the Invergordon Distillers Group.

Have also recently finished a bottle of Sloemotion sloe whisky, really rather tasty!

Need to get some contrast back in to the collection, a bottle of Laphroaig will do the trick. Will be back up to Scotland early next month and will be staying quite literally down the road from the Dalmore Distillery, would be rude to not pop in for a nosey...

Just bought some Karuizawa Spirit of Asama from TWE for Christmas. Looking forward to cracking that bottle open.

Master

I have always loved single malts and TBH, have been a bit snobby about anything blended.

... But... My wife surprised me at Xmas with a bottle of "Old Harry" blended malts she got via Laithwaites wines which is a really, really nice drink.

Can easily get the quarter cask at Waitrose at the moment and for some reason it's cheaper than the 10 year old.

Good deals on Bunnabhain too.

One of my favourites is Talisker 10 year old and the distiller's edition for a treat.

Journeyman
    Shhhhh keep it quiet!!!

But Asda are doing a lovely 12 YO Signature Balvenie for £16.50 which is half price, don't know how long it lasts but there wasn't many left in my store.

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Just tried Johnny Walker Spice Road at LHR T4. Very nice. May have to buy a bottle on my return (for some reason they don't allow collect on return from non EU destinations ?)

z

Apprentice
    Favourite affordable whiskey must be glenlivet and highland park (both 12 yrs).

Ardbeg 20 for £65

As a heads up they are selling 20 year old Ardbeg for £65 here:

http://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/acatalog/Ardbeg.html

Only one per customer. I had a bottle of the Bowmore for Christmas which was fantastic and well worth getting.

Sorry it looks like they sold out with 15 minutes of them going up on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    As a heads up they are selling 20 year old Ardbeg for £65 here:

http://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/acatalog/Ardbeg.html

Only one per customer. I had a bottle of the Bowmore for Christmas which was fantastic and well worth getting.

I'm sure most of you know this, but whisky = scotch, whiskey = Irish or American.

I like all spellings of the stuff!

I haven't dared open this from the fifties!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368999387.371067.jpg

Blog Entries
    Tries Ardbeg Supernova a few weeks back in a bar in Borås.
    It was superb - & now i cant find it anywhere - well not in the airports anyhow :(
    Will have to investigate the online options.

Anyone tried the Galileo?

z

^I'm a fan of Nikka whiskeys. I find "from the barrel" a bit too strong though. Their single malts on the other hand are pure perfection.