closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 79 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,950 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

^^^ ....and here we are.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A wee dram of Highland Park 10 this evening, the first in a while. No work tomorrow so pushing the boat out!

I am doing a tasting session at House of malt in a couple of weeks. Ran by Glenfarclas brand ambassador.
    Six drams including a family cask release.
    Anybody any idea what to expect?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Whiskey

I am not a whisky connoisseur at all but my dad has had this for a long time. Since well before he met my mum so it’s more than 50 years old. He always said he would open it on a special occasion but neither my sister’s nor my birth were deemed appropriate, nor any special birthday of his or his wife’s nor any other occasion you may think of. It remains unopened and in excellent condition. He is now, unfortunately, in very ill health and will never drink it. His dementia also prevents him remembering if it’s any good or not. Does anyone know if it’s likely to be drinkable? Is it worth drinking or are these things worth anything, investment-wise? (His treatment/care is extremely expensive so this may become relevant). Any other bits of info on the brand?

While we’re at it he’s also got a bottle of cognac with a similar story that’s left us with the same questions. If anyone could shed similar light on that it’d be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tobywatches; 1st November 2022 at 00:19.

From last night.
    Reviews seem pretty solid but I thought it was very average at best.

Master
    Dalwhinnie 15 going down a treat, got an Aberlour 12 next any other recommended @ £30 offer mark?

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Dalwhinnie 15 going down a treat, got an Aberlour 12 next any other recommended @ £30 offer mark?
    I think it’s hard to beat this for that sort of money. Non chill filtered and no added colour.

£23 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZSFY...8-c93ae068f9c0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    I think it’s hard to beat this for that sort of money. Non chill filtered and no added colour.

£23 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZSFY...8-c93ae068f9c0
    Cheers, tried that & the Moine after recommendation on the VGTG, will grab one excellent price 👍

It's closer to £40 though Arran 10 is great at any price, in my humble. Ledaig 10 is also worth the outlay if you're OK with a whiff of peat.

Tonight's simple pleasure is Ardbeg's Corryvreckan - chin chin.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Help please.. Recently been having a kitchen sort out and came across this whiskey. Have never liked the stuff but was curious and had a look on line, to be rather surprised at the prices asked. Can anyone suggest what it might be worth as I am thinking of offering it and put half of any proceeds into our Fundraiser. Thanks for any insights, as I know nothing about whiskey( have been informed my spelling is at fault, never written the word before) and happy to remain that way.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notnowkato; 15th November 2022 at 00:28.

Master
    For starters it's Whisky

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Help please.. Recently been having a kitchen sort out and came across this whiskey. Have never liked the stuff but was curious and had a look on line, to be rather surprised at the prices asked. Can anyone suggest what it might be worth as I am thinking of offering it and put half of any proceeds into our Fundraiser. Thanks for any insights, as I know nothing about whiskey and happy to remain that way.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    These are currently fetching £240 and should have an outer card cylinder sleeve container, if you don’t have this, it will impact its price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    These are currently fetching £240 and should have an outer card cylinder sleeve container, if you don’t have this, it will impact its price.
    Thanks for that, I don't have the sleeve, can't recall whether it came in one as I was probably given it at least 15 years ago. It will still be drinkable , I hope ?? But not by me, can't suffer the taste of Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    For starters it's Whisky
    Thanks for that, probably the first time I have written that word. I apologise for any offence caused.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Thanks for that, probably the first time I have written that word. I apologise for any offence caused.
    No problem.
    Drink it a dram every weekend and you get used to the taste.
    Bowmore would put hairs on your chest though.
    Quite peaty from memory.
    On reflection start with an easier one.

I think often people don't like whisky because when they try it it's maybe one of the heavily peated island malts that they are given.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    From memory, and I have commented on Bowmore Legend before - it is a very basic whisky.

I bought a bottle from the supermarket decades ago and doubt if it was more than £12 at the time. Tried it and actually poured the rest of the bottle away.

My father who liked his whisky - in conversation later, said that he tried it, hated it so much that he also poured it away.

We came to the conclusion that it was worse than ‘cooking whisky’ and was just a budget offering from Bowmore.

Might be fetching £240/bottle in the same way that a can of “Billy Beer” in the USA is worth a lot (a foul beer which never sold for long)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    From memory, and I have commented on Bowmore Legend before - it is a very basic whisky.

I bought a bottle from the supermarket decades ago and doubt if it was more than £12 at the time. Tried it and actually poured the rest of the bottle away.

My father who liked his whisky - in conversation later, said that he tried it, hated it so much that he also poured it away.

We came to the conclusion that it was worse than ‘cooking whisky’ and was just a budget offering from Bowmore.

Might be fetching £240/bottle in the same way that a can of “Billy Beer” in the USA is worth a lot (a foul beer which never sold for long)
    Bowmore Legend was an entry level basic version, very young and tasted it. Older Bowmore expressions command a premium and are widely collected so it’s probably dragging the price up. Might be worth an email to whiskyexchange.com to see what they offer.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Bowmore Legend was an entry level basic version, very young and tasted it. Older Bowmore expressions command a premium and are widely collected so it’s probably dragging the price up. Might be worth an email to whiskyexchange.com to see what they offer.
    That is how I viewed it at the time.

Blog Entries
    I just had ‘one of those birthdays 🥳’

Anyway, the depression associated with getting to half a century was somewhat tempered by some very generous gifts from friends and family

The Glefrarcas was a Xmas present from my wife, but I thought I’d show it off anyway!!!!

The winner??? Japan takes it…. Sorry!

Happy birthday! And that's quite the haul.
    I might need to sup some Glenfarclas 15 this evening after seeing that 21...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Happy birthday! And that's quite the haul.
    I might need to sup some Glenfarclas 15 this evening after seeing that 21...
    Thank you…. Honestly? I preferred the younger Glenfarcas! So, enjoy!

Glenfarclas 15 is the best of their range IMO too. Same applies to Glendronach - nothing beats the 15yo Revival in their offerings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I just had ‘one of those birthdays 拾’

Anyway, the depression associated with getting to half a century was somewhat tempered by some very generous gifts from friends and family

The Glefrarcas was a Xmas present from my wife, but I thought I’d show it off anyway!!!!

The winner??? Japan takes it…. Sorry!

What’s the Yamasaki like?

Blog Entries
    It’s exceptionally good

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Glenfarclas 15 is the best of their range IMO too. Same applies to Glendronach - nothing beats the 15yo Revival in their offerings.
    I haven't had a Glenfarclas 15 in the collection for a few years though I do remember enjoying it, and if the GlenDronach 15 Revival is better than their 18 Allardice then it must be spectacular!

Oh, and happy birthday Wolfie! Enjoy that selection of yours.

I'll be turning the big five-oh earlyish next year, I'll be sure to celebrate with a dram or two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Oh, and happy birthday Wolfie! Enjoy that selection of yours.

I'll be turning the big five-oh earlyish next year, I'll be sure to celebrate with a dram or two.
    Thanks…. And enjoy yours!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Thank you…. Honestly? I preferred the younger Glenfarcas! So, enjoy!
    I’d be interested what the 21s like I liked the 10 year old and I’ve still got the 21 and 25 unopened

Japanese whiskeys are exceptionally good. Complex but also very refined. Couldn't be without a few Japanese bottles on my shelf....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I’d be interested what the 21s like I liked the 10 year old and I’ve still got the 21 and 25 unopened
    The 21 is obviously very good, but I felt the 15 was a little more refined, even if it’s doesn’t have the depth of the 21

Just my view!

Also drinking Yamazaki Distiller’s Reserve tonight. Certainly not bad but nothing like their previous 12 and 10yo.

Craftsman
    Question for the experts… is there a maximum shelf life for an opened bottle of Whiskey?

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^No. But do keep in mind that some liquid always evaporates and this becomes apparent in old bottles. On the same point, it’s quite common for corks to soften and fall apart in old bottles when you try to open them (good idea to tilt the bottle and moist the cork from time to time on shelved bottles).

Keep any bottle you have out of direct sunlight and from extremes of heat, ideally somewhere cooler than warmer if possible. With regards to the cork, absolutely do not store any bottle on its side as you may do with wine, the higher adv of whisky will degrade the cork resulting in it spoiling the spirit.

Currently going through a few young lowland bottles

Lindores Abbey - Casks of Lindores STR wine barrique and Oloroso sherry cask editions
    Kingsbarns Bell Rock

We aim to do at least one distillery a month.

My girlfriend has just started a whisky based Instagram page which just means I get to try more!

Craftsman
    Thanks Marios and Cardshark, it’s stored vertically and out of the sun .

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else watch Ralfy on YT? Very informative and entertaining, I like his style of review.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Keep any bottle you have out of direct sunlight and from extremes of heat, ideally somewhere cooler than warmer if possible. With regards to the cork, absolutely do not store any bottle on its side as you may do with wine, the higher adv of whisky will degrade the cork resulting in it spoiling the spirit.
    Didn’t know that! That sorts that issue.

Latest incoming... two of the new Kingsbarns single cask release delivered today, will tuck those away for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Anyone else watch Ralfy on YT? Very informative and entertaining, I like his style of review.
    Absolutely, Ralfy is a great source of guidance and advice.

Master
    Spotted any Black Friday deals?

Spotted any Black Friday deals?
    Better deals at other times of year I think, nothing is jumping out as particularly unusual.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Better deals at other times of year I think, nothing is jumping out as particularly unusual.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dalwhinnie-...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

That does look like a decent deal given a quick camelcamelcamel check on it, but I've never tried it -any good?

Just seen Bushmills Black Bush 1L is on a decent discount too; never tried it, but it looks to be a good accessible one for those with a sweeter tooth.

Master
    It was recommended on the VGTG, very nice.
    I had just finished a Benraich 12 & the 15 was slightly smoother, did not last long

Journeyman
    Finished some Uig last night - still in my eyes the best bottle for that price region - and my favourite Ardbeg

Well, got 3 incoming:

Glencadam 10yo

Tobermory 12yo

Teaninich 12yo

That's Christmas sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Well, got 3 incoming:

Glencadam 10yo

Tobermory 12yo

Teaninich 12yo

That's Christmas sorted!
    Never heard of Glencadam, but looked up just now - that could be an interesting aperitif dram !

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Never heard of Glencadam, but looked up just now - that could be an interesting aperitif dram !
    Yes, new to me too. Looking forward to trying it.