closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 54 of 83 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 4127

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Octomore doesn't use Islay peat though so it's less medicinal than other Islays. Ardbeg would be my choice too.
    So the peat for the Octomore range is imported then? I, not unreasonably, presumed that it was local peat that was used and that all peat smoked Islay whiskies used Islay peat. During my relatively recent tour of Laphroaig the guide mentioned that the island had approx 200 years worth of peat at the current rate of consumption, it hadn't entered my mind that any of the distilleries were using peat from elsewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    So the peat for the Octomore range is imported then? I, not unreasonably, presumed that it was local peat that was used and that all peat smoked Islay whiskies used Islay peat. During my relatively recent tour of Laphroaig the guide mentioned that the island had approx 200 years worth of peat at the current rate of consumption, it hadn't entered my mind that any of the distilleries were using peat from elsewhere.
    My understanding is that the local Port Ellen maltings only outputs peated malt from Islay. This serves the majority of the distilleries, although Kilchoman and Bowmore do some malting on site.

So, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich, which use unpeated malt for the majority of their offerings, have to import barley from the mainland. Bruichladdich also has Islay barley releases- which uses local barley exported and malted on the mainland then brought back to the distillery.

But where Bunnahabhain uses local peat for its limited “Moine” releases, Bruichladdich just imports all its barley from the mainland, despite the fact there is more than enough peat to go round, as you say.

My understanding is that the local Port Ellen maltings only outputs peated malt from Islay. This serves the majority of the distilleries, although Kilchoman and Bowmore do some malting on site.

So, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich, which use unpeated malt for the majority of their offerings, have to import barley from the mainland. Bruichladdich also has Islay barley releases- which uses local barley exported and malted on the mainland then brought back to the distillery.

But where Bunnahabhain uses local peat for its limited “Moine” releases, Bruichladdich just imports all its barley from the mainland, despite the fact there is more than enough peat to go round, as you say.
    The Islay thing has become a major marketing exercise. For example, Bruichladdich, who make Port Charlotte, are the second smallest distillery on the island, but the largest employer. That's because the others ship a lot of stuff in in order to be able to use "Islay" in their product, and then as soon as it's distilled they ship it all out again to mature in warehouses on the west coast. It's only very briefly on Islay at all, and its component parts didn't start there. Bruichladdich do everything there, using a large local workforce. I love the fact that they repeatedly say Islay isn't some "mystical island shrouded in myth", it's a vibrant community with the same ambitions as anywhere else. They're not big on marketing to Americans!

I was pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of Michters in a local store.

This stuff is very sweet and moorish

The use of peat from Aberdeenshire (or wherever on the mainland) rather than local peat, was because they couldn't get the pppm above 44 using Islay peat. It's not clear why this was the case, but it appears to mean that the only way to reach very high parts of phenol, is by using non-Islay peat. Dave Broom wrote a couple of pieces about peat terroir a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    The Islay thing has become a major marketing exercise. For example, Bruichladdich, who make Port Charlotte, are the second smallest distillery on the island, but the largest employer. That's because the others ship a lot of stuff in in order to be able to use "Islay" in their product, and then as soon as it's distilled they ship it all out again to mature in warehouses on the west coast. It's only very briefly on Islay at all, and its component parts didn't start there. Bruichladdich do everything there, using a large local workforce. I love the fact that they repeatedly say Islay isn't some "mystical island shrouded in myth", it's a vibrant community with the same ambitions as anywhere else. They're not big on marketing to Americans!
    I would say the marketing of Bruichladdich is pretty much on a par with any of the others I've seen.
    Not saying that as a criticism but they know how to milk the Islay thing.
    For anyone thats over for the whisky festival in May their Sunday open day is fantastic with bands andwhisky and gin(the Botanist)tents.
    A great day if you get the chance to go.

Blog Entries
    Just realised I have 5 on the go
    (On my study shelves)

Something for any occasion.

z

This just arrived from the whiskyshop, currently on offer for £88.99.

It's a 2019 bottling so supposedly contains 24yr old whisky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post

I can indeed confirm that.

I can indeed confirm that.
    Cheers

Craftsman

Fantastic offer, even more so if indeed it is the 2019 bottling....have ordered and discovered an extra 10% off as first time order, using code: "welcome10".

Here's to hoping it's a 2019!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    (On my study shelves)

z
    I wish I only had five...

More like 25.

Finished a Caol Ila 31yo last night, so at least making some inroads.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Fantastic offer, even more so if indeed it is the 2019 bottling....have ordered and discovered an extra 10% off as first time order, using code: "welcome10".

Here's to hoping it's a 2019!

Fingers crossed you get one from the same/similar batch.

They were very quick at posting it out too, ordered on Friday, arrived today in NI.

They have a few other bottles at really good prices.

whiskyshop - thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up on the Whiskyshop - a bottle of Glendronach 18 (hopefuly from the 2019 batch) winging its way to me

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I would say the marketing of Bruichladdich is pretty much on a par with any of the others I've seen.
    Not saying that as a criticism but they know how to milk the Islay thing.
    For anyone thats over for the whisky festival in May their Sunday open day is fantastic with bands andwhisky and gin(the Botanist)tents.
    A great day if you get the chance to go.
    I agree they leverage the Islay thing hard, but they also do it differently to most others. They're passionate about Islay, as a place and a community, not just as a whisky badge. I rather like this from their website:

The awkward truth

For too long Islay has been exploited by those seeking to trade on the cachet of its name. It’s become a badge to add credibility and value, with increasingly fragile links to the the reality of the island.

Islay has become a flavour profile not a provenance, with distillers importing barley from outside Scotland, then shipping spirit off the island to mature in undisclosed mainland warehouses.

What does it really mean to be an Islay single malt? To us it means commitment to Islay, investment in place and people, it means that everything must happen here, on the island and in the community. The whisky must be a true expression of the land, the culture, the people.

Port Charlotte single malt is the antidote to convenience and market manipulation.

Our Islay revolution

We’re rooted in the culture and community of this island. Of eight distilleries on the island we’re the second smallest, yet we are its largest private employer; eighty of our one hundred strong team are based here. This means something.

From the outset it has been our ambition to create the highest provenance Islay whisky. There are easier places to make whisky. Easier methods and processes. And it’s cheaper to build warehouses on the mainland. But we’re not interested in easy options.

We believe to be called an Islay malt brings with it responsibilities – responsibilities to our community and to future generations here. This is not a mythical land of legend and tradition; our Islay is vibrant, dynamic, young and passionate. To us, Islay is not a label or a marketing equity. It’s our home and it’s at the centre of our decision making.

Port Charlotte single malt is conceived, distilled, matured and bottled only on Islay.

Islay has always had the vast majority of its barley shipped to it, the unsuitability of the land and weather conditions on the island see to that. The discussion around what peat is used, why and provenance is an interesting one, as is the point made about Islay whiskies being more of a generalised flavour profile stereotype rather than about said provenance. The truth is, as I understand it, that there are very, very few distilleries that do everything in house from malting, distilling, storing and then to bottling all of their spirits. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Springbank last year who do all of the above bar some of their cask storage.

On a different note, I also bagged myself a Glendronach 18 last night, it'll be my 3rd though only the first of the previous 2 was a 24. I also dropped a BenRiach 21 and a Kavalan King Car Conductor into my basket, the latter is a Taiwanese whisky. All were on sale and also had the welcome10 discount applied as well, I don't think I'll be purchasing anything else this year looking at the number of bottles I have...
    Last edited by CardShark; 2nd June 2020 at 15:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Islay has always had the vast majority of its barley shipped to it, the unsuitability of the land and weather conditions on the island see to that. The discussion around what peat is used, why and provenance is an interesting one, as is the point made about Islay whiskies being more of a generalised flavour profile stereotype rather than about said provenance. The truth is, as I understand it, that there are very, very few distilleries that do everything in house from malting, distilling, storing and then to bottling all of their spirits. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Springbank last year who do all of the above bar some of their cask storage.

On a different note, I also bagged myself a Glendronach 18 last night, it'll be my 3rd though only the first of the previous 2 was a 24. I also dropped a BenRiach 21 and a Kavalan King Car Conductor into my basket, the latter is a Taiwanese whisky. All were on sale and also had the welcome10 discount applied as well, I don't think I'll be purchasing anything else this year looking at the number of bottles I have...
    Only very small distilleries do all of everything themselves. Daftmill are the only one doing full farm to bottle but you’ll need fast fingers or a pretty penny at auction. And having tried several I personally think it’s over-rated.

Master
    Blog Entries

where is bottling date on bottle sorry cannot see it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    where is bottling date on bottle sorry cannot see it
    On the bottle, bottom rear, hold it against the light...had that same arrival and did same test this morning - mine's a Oct 2019 bottling, so hope that's sufficiently early before the 2020 bottlings so that it contains that hoped for 24yrs old liquid...

Here's an interesting infographic I found on the Glendronach mothballing years and how that liquid came through the bottlings

And here's an interesting article: https://wordsofwhisky.com/glendronac...he-label-says/

Master
    Blog Entries
    On the bottle, bottom rear, hold it against the light...had that same arrival and did same test this morning - mine's a Oct 2019 bottling, so hope that's sufficiently early before the 2020 bottlings so that it contains that hoped for 24yrs old liquid...

Here's an interesting infographic I found on the Glendronach mothballing years and how that liquid came through the bottlings

And here's an interesting article: https://wordsofwhisky.com/glendronac...he-label-says/

thanks mine only says 2407 and a 23 in middle

Craftsman
    thanks mine only says 2407 and a 23 in middle
    You sure?

See mine

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Quinta Ruban is my favorite at the moment, too. I can't get enough of it.
    The 14yo Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban took the top honours in the <£50 category in Scottish Field's most recent whisky challenge. I took a punt on a bottle and agree it's sensational.

Master
    Blog Entries
    found it where yours is 33 mine is 34
    thanks

Craftsman
    found it where yours is 33 mine is 34
    thanks
    Guess it was bottled a minute after mine then...slainte

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guess it was bottled a minute after mine then...slainte

yes will report back when opened

yes will report back when opened
    It’s delicious. Enjoy.

Good to hear everyone is getting their bottles of the Glendronach 18yr from the same batch, seems we all within minutes of each other too!

My GlenDronach, King Car and BenRiach turned up this afternoon, is the GlenDronach an 18....???

Yes! Looks like we all got the same batch.

24!

No idea why however I thought that I already had a 24 along with a true 18 2020 bottle on the shelf, I've just checked the dates and it appears I was wrong.

From L to R - June 19, November 19 and the new October 19 bottlings. It's probably my favourite of all whiskies I've tried so I've no issue in having 3 bottles, I will investigate gassing the open ones (and other whiskies I have) to keep them tip-top.

Trio 24
    Last edited by CardShark; 3rd June 2020 at 15:17.

Glenlivet 15 is £37.99 on Amazon. A good price for one of my staples.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The 14yo Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban took the top honours in the <£50 category in Scottish Field's most recent whisky challenge. I took a punt on a bottle and agree it's sensational.
    heard good reports about it and bottled at a respectable 46%vol

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    It seems to have replaced the 12 year old, with a suitable price bump. I'll defiitely be getting some though.

2 of my absolute favourites arrived today

My glendronach looks like October 2019 and not sure what that makes it .... all I know is it’s a belter. Thanks for the heads up on the deal

The Dalmore 18 is sensational and now very expensive, but was a nice surprise gift that was delivered a couple of hours after the glendronach.

And tonight I’ve opened this ..... never had it before. Nicely lightly smoked and has plenty of bite to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want something to blow your head off ..... this is a very good price:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O0SD1...EbGATZAX6_nodl

Not for the faint hearted

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    If you want something to blow your head off ..... this is a very good price:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O0SD1...EbGATZAX6_nodl

Not for the faint hearted

Excellent dram...despite the high (cask strength) ABV, it's remarkably drinkable - and fabulous on the palate with a few drops of water...at that subscription price it's a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

2 of my absolute favourites arrived today

My glendronach looks like October 2019 and not sure what that makes it .... all I know is it’s a belter. Thanks for the heads up on the deal

The Dalmore 18 is sensational and now very expensive, but was a nice surprise gift that was delivered a couple of hours after the glendronach.

And tonight I’ve opened this ..... never had it before. Nicely lightly smoked and has plenty of bite to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That date is the same as mine and a few others here so should make it 24 yr old.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    (On my study shelves)

z
    The Uig is my favourite I've tried thus far - just incredible

Craftsman
    Just got an email from Master of Malt to say that Dalmore 18 is £89 for TODAY only - apparently a £21 saving...not had this one before, but thought worth sharing the deal.

And the Cigar Malt is £64.80 for today only....

Master
    Just got an email from Master of Malt to say that Dalmore 18 is £89 for TODAY only - apparently a £21 saving...not had this one before, but thought worth sharing the deal.

It's a good price, I would say the 18 is the better of the two. Although I would probably just buy more Glendronach!

Looks like I missed all the good Whisky Shop offers....oh well my liver will be thankful!

Dalmore 18 is lovely, I finished a bottle maybe a month ago and at a discounted price it's tempting to replace however with my recent spend I shall refrain. The BenRiach was bought as a replacement for it (similar price when the BR was on offer), I hope that I don't regret that decision.

Definitely take the 18 over the Cigar.

It is a great price in the context of how whisky has increased last couple of years, but that used to be the regular price. Just like a Sub

Journeyman
    Any recommendations for a new bottle £50-100 that isn't an Islay peaty type?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    The Tullibardine 20 in my post earlier - it's lovely & smooth - and not peaty.
    Click on the link for the Masters of Malt info & nice review here

About £90 IIRC

z
    Last edited by zelig; 4th June 2020 at 17:13.

With that really decent budget I'd be inclined to either go for something with a decent age statement or maybe a single barrel /cask strength offering.

Here is a few ideas to consider...

Journeyman
    What do you like?

If you're into speysides I can recommend Benromach at (or below) the bottom end of your budget. Finishing a bottle of the 10 now and it's bloody lovely.
    Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries

Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by martinupnorth View Post
    What do you like?

If you're into speysides I can recommend Benromach at (or below) the bottom end of your budget. Finishing a bottle of the 10 now and it's bloody lovely.

https://www.robbieswhiskymerchants.c...ch-Whisky.html

Also free postage code on their Facebook page something like ukm20 or similar, this is probably as well balanced 10yr old malt I have tasted, I would buy 10bottles but just a touch smoky for my palate, but an outstanding young malt

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by dek10000; 5th June 2020 at 07:00.

Tonight's dram will be this 7 yr old from the Boann distillery. Non chill filtered, Natural colour and packing a whopping 59% abv.

A drop or 2 of water will be required I reckon.

Journeyman
    Bargain! Thanks
    https://www.robbieswhiskymerchants.c...ch-Whisky.html

Also free postage code on their Facebook page something like ukm20 or similar, this is probably as well balanced 10yr old malt I have tasted, I would buy 10bottles but just a touch smoky for my palate, but an outstanding young malt

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    With that really decent budget I'd be inclined to either go for something with a decent age statement or maybe a single barrel /cask strength offering.

Here is a few ideas to consider...
    Thanks I'm going to give the Balvenie a try - have actually got the 14 Caribbean Cask and whilst not my exact type is a pretty great dram!