closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I had a measure or six of a new Islay to me on Saturday at a wedding, Lagavulin 16. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't already under the influence however it was a very fine way of finishing the evening off!
    Most of the Islay malts are "love or loathe" - but Lagavulin, one of the most powerful - is a storming whisky. One to be savoured on a winter's night, after dinner - while sitting in front of a wood fire. But - you have to love the peat/iodine.

Once bought a bottle of Bowmore Legend - if there is such a thing as "cooking whisky" - then Legend fails to even meet that grade. By coincidence, my father who liked his whisky - did exactly the same as I, with the bottle he had.................. down the drain!

Al

I'd completely disagree re Islay malts.

While the rise of the peathead has lead to the preposterous** Octomore bottlings, many current standard Islay malts are far from similar and vary greatly in peatiness / parts of phenol per million.

PPPM is a bonkers thing to begin with, as it's a broad brush assessment of just *part* of a whisky's makeup. It's a proxy for peat / smoke, but not necessarily a guide to flavour.

To write off Islay whisky as love or loathe is equally bonkers, unless you're going to write everything off in the same way. There's a spectrum of flavour profiles on Islay, and it stems from the distillery, its distiller and its wood. Some might say it also stems from its location, the flora and fauna in the warehouse, the still, the mash tun or even the ingredients. But that might just be crazy talk. We'll be discussing terroir next...

Even the perception of the flavours in that spectrum will differ from person to person - the science of taste is bonkers too (just as the science of sight and hearing is too).

There's something for everyone - there are even those who will drink Bowmore Legend.

Probably.

**preposterous /prɪˈpɒst(ə)rəs/ adjective: preposterous, contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous. Regardless of taste, please don't tell me that 208pppm is reasonable or even sensible...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I'd completely disagree re Islay malts.

While the rise of the peathead has lead to the preposterous** Octomore bottlings, many current standard Islay malts are far from similar and vary greatly in peatiness / parts of phenol per million.

PPPM is a bonkers thing to begin with, as it's a broad brush assessment of just *part* of a whisky's makeup. It's a proxy for peat / smoke, but not necessarily a guide to flavour.

To write off Islay whisky as love or loathe is equally bonkers, unless you're going to write everything off in the same way. There's a spectrum of flavour profiles on Islay, and it stems from the distillery, its distiller and its wood. Some might say it also stems from its location, the flora and fauna in the warehouse, the still, the mash tun or even the ingredients. But that might just be crazy talk. We'll be discussing terroir next...

Even the perception of the flavours in that spectrum will differ from person to person - the science of taste is bonkers too (just as the science of sight and hearing is too).

There's something for everyone - there are even those who will drink Bowmore Legend.

Probably.

**preposterous /prɪˈpɒst(ə)rəs/ adjective: preposterous, contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous. Regardless of taste, please don't tell me that 208pppm is reasonable or even sensible...

I won't emulate your penchant for giving us the definition of words which you use - but I do believe I said "most" Islay malts......... not ALL.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I won't emulate your penchant for giving us the definition of words which you use - but I do believe I said "most" Islay malts......... not ALL.

Al
    Penchant?

I just wanted to make it clear that it was a bonkers idea.

I'm on record as saying one of my favourite drams of all time was a 139pppm Laddie, at 60.5%, that had been casked in virgin Normandy oak for seven years. I still think it's a bonkers thing to do, and I wonder what it *really* has to do with Islay. IMO PPPM is a one dimensional description of whisky, and when the majority of distilleries don't even malt their own barley, and much of Lagavulin's product (and all of Caol Ila's) is shipped directly off the island in large tanks, one has to wonder what an Islay malt (or any malt) even is anymore...

All I'm trying to say is that Islay can surprise you. It's not all Ron Swanson's "mother's milk"...

Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Found this in my cabinet at lunchtime. Wonderful aroma, taste of honey, finely balanced with a wisp of smoke. Pure class, will have this one again. Not sure how much it cost as she is mowing the lawn at the moment. Might make a note of gratitude for her in the forth coming appraisal...........................

Is this worth a punt mate? It's £36 on Amazon.

Master
    Regards the Islay malts I don't dislike all in fact one of my favourite tipples is Bunnahabhain. Its Lagavulin and Laphroaig I find toughest to drink.
    I'm still a beginner though and in time who knows.
    I don't like Springbank but own a Hogshead of the stuff.

Just bought a bottle of this, £45 from Tesco, worth a punt I think. I love IPAs, especially the american inspired versions these days....

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Regards the Islay malts I don't dislike all in fact one of my favourite tipples is Bunnahabhain. Its Lagavulin and Laphroaig I find toughest to drink.
    I'm still a beginner though and in time who knows.
    I don't like Springbank but own a Hogshead of the stuff.
    I wish I owned a Hogshead of Springbank. Might I ask more about it?

Master
    I wish I owned a Hogshead of Springbank. Might I ask more about it?
    Cant do it anymore but back in the day you could purchase a hogshead when it was I think for about £500
    I bought 4 at the time as that brought the price down a bit again.
    Sold 1 to my brother in law and 1 to a friend at the time.
    It was distilled and casked in Jan 1995 which makes it 21 years now(iconic age for Springbank)
    I sold 1 of the casks last year to a guy in the Far East via a broker and have kept the other cask I own.
    You can keep them in their warehouse and pay insurance and storage.
    Occasionally I get a couple of bottles but as I said I'm not the biggest fan.
    Between my brother in law and myself we will get a good amount bottled at say 23yrs and decide what to do with the rest.

The whisky itself is in a first fill sherry cask so by now it is very dark in colour.
    When I was selling a hogshead last year the head taster at Macallan tasted it and said it was top drawer so good enough for me.

Master
    On another interesting note
    My dad loved his Whisky and had a wee collection of malts when he died a couple of years ago.
    Basically they were bottles we would give him on birthdays etc probably to the value of about £50
    Anyhow they were just sitting in the wardrobe and my mum decided to punt them
    Upshot was that one of the bottles(a bottle of Macallan)sold for £980 at auction.
    Thank Christ I didn't scutch that bottle one Christmas unlike some of the others.

I'm still an enthusiastic amateur however I really enjoy whiskies from all ends of the scale. I can understand why some people are put off by the general theme of an Islay though I can tell the difference between my Laphroaig 10, Select (not great IMO) and the QC as well as the Ardbeg that I currently have and others I've tried. Doesn't stop me enjoying something from the likes of Dalmore though, even though there's no bonfire whatsoever.

Cant do it anymore but back in the day you could purchase a hogshead when it was I think for about £500
    I bought 4 at the time as that brought the price down a bit again.
    Sold 1 to my brother in law and 1 to a friend at the time.
    It was distilled and casked in Jan 1995 which makes it 21 years now(iconic age for Springbank)
    I sold 1 of the casks last year to a guy in the Far East via a broker and have kept the other cask I own.
    You can keep them in their warehouse and pay insurance and storage.
    Occasionally I get a couple of bottles but as I said I'm not the biggest fan.
    Between my brother in law and myself we will get a good amount bottled at say 23yrs and decide what to do with the rest.

The whisky itself is in a first fill sherry cask so by now it is very dark in colour.
    When I was selling a hogshead last year the head taster at Macallan tasted it and said it was top drawer so good enough for me.
    Fantastic. I wasn't able to afford that kind of thing at the time, so missed out on it. I always try and buy a couple of bottles from the "cage" at the Cadenheads shop in Campbeltown; unique bottles of Springbank, Hazelburn or Longrow that range in price depending on age. I've just picked up the 21 year Longrow, and it was eye-wateringly expensive, so I'd agree that you're sitting on something pretty valuable. Thank you for the info.
    Last edited by Broussard; 15th October 2016 at 08:54.

Master
    Fantastic. I wasn't able to afford that kind of thing at the time, so missed out on it. I always try and buy a couple of bottles from the "cage" at the Cadenheads shop in Campbeltown; unique bottles of Springbank, Hazelburn or Longrow that range in price depending on age. I've just picked up the 21 year SB, and it was eye-wateringly expensive, so I'd agree that you're sitting on something pretty valuable. Thank you for the info.
    Yeh some of the 90s bottles of 21 yr old springboks go at about £500
    I had a bottle of it once only to find my 2 brother in laws had drank it to celebrate the birth of a nephew in my absence.
    note to self-keep the good ones out of sight.

Yeh some of the 90s bottles of 21 yr old springboks go at about £500
    I had a bottle of it once only to find my 2 brother in laws had drank it to celebrate the birth of a nephew in my absence.
    note to self-keep the good ones out of sight.
    The independent bottlings seem to be similarly priced to the Official Bottlings - see Hennings' ex-bourbon-casked 21 from 1993, for example, which is *only* £175, compared to the 2016 SB release at £180. I've just looked at my "maltventory" and I paid a staggering £250 for the Festival bottling of the Longrow 21 this year, which I was keeping for a #watchnerd / whisky tasting event I'm planning. I've been advised not to open it, which is a shame. I buy to drink, but things are getting increasingly tricky: Springbank's 16yo Local Barley Sherry, for example, was a pretty punchy £86 in Cadenheads on release earlier this year (from memory), sold by retailers at c£96, and is now reaching c£200 online. Which seems bonkers.

Blog Entries

Whiskey

Surprisingly good selection of Japanese whiskies at Schönefeld.
    Decided to take my first foray into the far eastern tipple with this...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 28th September 2016 at 19:32.

Craftsman
    Always nice to have a choice...

Craftsman
    Umm...Uigeadail.

Lagavulin is too tough for me.Reminds me of TCP.
    Definitely an acquired taste though my son got me a bottle for Christmas so I better keep practising.
    The Lagavulin 16 is my tipple of choice but the 12 is fantastic!

Twice the the price (£80) right enough...

Craftsman
    I'm very fond of Lagavulin, partly because I worked there for a while (project managed a big refurb) back in the nineties. My current favourite is a Distillers Edition version that was distilled in 1996 and given a second maturation in sherry casks. The sherry sweetness balances the phenolic notes and give a really well rounded dram. And it's nice to final taste something I had a hand in making!

Craftsman
    Had a little impromptu whiskey tasting with some friends yesterday

Hibiki 12 yr old, Macallan Sienna, Nikka Coffee Grain, Lagavulin 16 yr old and (not in photo) Macallan Select Oak

We are all strictly non-peat whiskey drinkers and thoroughly enjoyed the Hibiki for the complex and interesting journey it gave, though we agreed the Macallans were more serious / mature drams for the purists...however, the Lagavulin blew us all out of the water and we rated it unanimously as the best of the night! It was the first time for me that the peat smell and taste didn't overpower the drink but merely added a layer of flavour, smoke and spice...I can't stress how much of a change in my attitude towards Islays it caused - I went from hating peated whiskey and saying they stink of manure, to absolutely loving that dram and wanting to buy a bottle for my own drinks cupboard.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    The Lagavulin 16 is my tipple of choice but the 12 is fantastic!

Twice the the price (£80) right enough...
    Following on from my previous message, sounds by what you said that I really should try the 12 years old? How would you describe it in comparison to the 16?

Craftsman
    I am going to Clitheroe in the morning and will be calling into Byrne & Co on King street.
    This thread has given me some ideas of what to look at in the malt whisky department.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    Umm...Uigeadail.
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

:thumbup:

Chivas Regal 12 Year Old Whisky £20 delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chivas-Rega...J25108NWJJ1J0S

Craftsman
    Some decent offers at Waitrose atm,

Aberlour A'bunadh @ £35
    Laphroaig Select @ £27

Also £15 off a £120 spend and free click and collect. Seems rude not to...

Journeyman
    Hey guys I know nothing of whiskey but I'm looking for a present for my father in law that I know is quite keen on whiskey. Now the only whiskey I can remember seeing in his stock was monkey shoulder and haig. I believe he has more expensive ones but they were the ones that stood out in memory. Can anyone recommend a whiskey no more than £100? Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    Hey guys I know nothing of whiskey but I'm looking for a present for my father in law that I know is quite keen on whiskey. Now the only whiskey I can remember seeing in his stock was monkey shoulder and haig. I believe he has more expensive ones but they were the ones that stood out in memory. Can anyone recommend a whiskey no more than £100? Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

save yourself some money and get this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-AB.../dp/B004CY91AA

will tick the box

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post

I would stay well clear of both of those. If you don't know what he likes I'd recommend a tasting set from master of malt. Gives you 5 little samples of various whiskies and they start around £25 going up in price as you get into the better older stuff

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    You can't go that far wrong with a good Speyside like Glenfiddich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not click on this link......................... I do fancy a Jameson.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

Anybody going to have a punt on that soon to be released Macallan 40.y.o?

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible awards winners for 2017 have just been announced, if anyone's interested: https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2...7-the-winners/

Craftsman
    Love single malts, not very scientific but generally try whatever is on offer in Waitress. If nothing I fancy, I stick to the old favourites :)

Just going to the Manchester whisky festival....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    You can't go that far wrong with a good Speyside like Glenfiddich

I'm afraid that I've always found Glenfiddich to be insipid piss. It's success is due entirely to marketing success abroad.

Try The Glenlivet - I'd like to think you'd find it was a vast improvement.

Al

Master
    I'm afraid that I've always found Glenfiddich to be insipid piss. It's success is due entirely to marketing success abroad.

Al
    Wasn't a fan of the Glenlivet when I tried it, seemed to have a spicy after taste!

Double Jura's are flowing in Wetherspoons though hic

Master

Al
    But I don't drink Glenfiddich either despite the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Had a little impromptu whiskey tasting with some friends yesterday

Hibiki 12 yr old, Macallan Sienna, Nikka Coffee Grain, Lagavulin 16 yr old and (not in photo) Macallan Select Oak

We are all strictly non-peat whiskey drinkers and thoroughly enjoyed the Hibiki for the complex and interesting journey it gave, though we agreed the Macallans were more serious / mature drams for the purists...however, the Lagavulin blew us all out of the water and we rated it unanimously as the best of the night! It was the first time for me that the peat smell and taste didn't overpower the drink but merely added a layer of flavour, smoke and spice...I can't stress how much of a change in my attitude towards Islays it caused - I went from hating peated whiskey and saying they stink of manure, to absolutely loving that dram and wanting to buy a bottle for my own drinks cupboard.
    How did you find the Hibiki and the Nikka?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    How did you find the Hibiki and the Nikka?
    Just online, I think it was the whiskey exchange

Glenfiddich - "tourist whisky" as my stepfather calls it (He is a dour Scot)
    Japanese is interesting these days. Yamazaki and Hibiki are excellent.

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible awards winners for 2017 have just been announced, if anyone's interested: https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2...7-the-winners/
    In the pay of Glen Grant by any chance?

Finished off the dregs of this last night.....

...so one out means room for one more!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Just online, I think it was the whiskey exchange
    I mean.. how did you find them to drink.. I've had the Nikka but not the Hibiki.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I mean.. how did you find them to drink.. I've had the Nikka but not the Hibiki.
    Oh sorry the consensus on the hibiki was that it was the most journeyful - it was quite complex in flavours (as it's a blend) but very drinkable...quite social, everyone had something to say about it and it was different from nose, to palette, to after taste...it was probably close second to the lagavulin on the night (with the macallans much more traditional, mature purists whiskey)

The nikka didn't really do much for me at all, found it quite bland and boring

Great whisky festival yesterday, although I'm paying for it now. This was so good I had to buy a bottle:

At £35 I thought it was a bargain...until I realised I had bought a 20cl bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    In the pay of Glen Grant by any chance?
    I have no idea how he does it, to be honest. He seems to taste thousands of whiskies a year.

I have a few of his "best" whiskies, and many of his high scoring bottlings. I doubt now that I'll be able to find any other bottles at a reasonable price. Half of me is annoyed, the other half (I guess) is glad that some of the things I've been saying all year are now actually being backed up by someone with a little knowledge. That Caol Ila 31 from Cadenheads in the 28-34yo category is superb, by the way.

Master
    Just a heads-up; Talisker Skye is available in Waitrose for £25, down from £40.

Blog Entries
    Just cracked open a bottle of this ...

Bought at Dusseldorf airport earlier today - as it was cheap & sounded interesting enough to take a chance.

Not bad - especially over a little ice - & it was only £19 for a litre bottle

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Great whisky festival yesterday, although I'm paying for it now. This was so good I had to buy a bottle:

At £35 I thought it was a bargain...until I realised I had bought a 20cl bottle!
    Never liked the peaty drams that I've tried in the past, suppose Highland Park is peaty as I go, but my tastes may have changed so will have to try one this winter!

A Caol Ila 18 is on my to do list, I love the 12 as an everyday whisky and I really like the 14yr Unpeated and Distillers Edition too!