closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Ok so I'm normally a gin drinker (among other things) and whiskey has never really floated my boat due to the fact that when I've tried some it always seems to be heavily peated and has a burn to it on the way down. I've tried several over the years but generally with the same result. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Jura superstition for a recent birthday. To be honest I find it bloody awful. It tastes like peat bog water passed through an old sock held over a green wood fire that someone then puffs a B&H into the bottle. Obviously just my opinion as I'm sure some enjoy it. So the question is, is there a palatable light to non peaty whiskey out there that may suit or am I just better off sticking to gin?

Choose anything in the bottom left corner...I'd suggest the Glenfiddich

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Gonna try that one, sound like a great price!
    I quite like it and at 20 quid a bottle from asda thats a great deal.

Ok so I'm normally a gin drinker (among other things) and whiskey has never really floated my boat due to the fact that when I've tried some it always seems to be heavily peated and has a burn to it on the way down. I've tried several over the years but generally with the same result. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Jura superstition for a recent birthday. To be honest I find it bloody awful. It tastes like peat bog water passed through an old sock held over a green wood fire that someone then puffs a B&H into the bottle. Obviously just my opinion as I'm sure some enjoy it. So the question is, is there a palatable light to non peaty whiskey out there that may suit or am I just better off sticking to gin?
    I'm a gin drinker too. Luckily, I happen to like whisky as well.

Can I ask which gins you'd drink with tonic and which you'd drink in a Martini? Might help with the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Glen Moray, or The Glenlivet 12 yo should suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Subseastu try the auchentoshan American oak I've just bought nothing like Jura although Jura isn't one I like anyway
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I'm a gin drinker too. Luckily, I happen to like whisky as well.

Can I ask which gins you'd drink with tonic and which you'd drink in a Martini? Might help with the suggestions.
    I generally only drink gin over ice or with tonic, no martini. My preferred gins at present are:
    Bontainist
    Strathern heather rose
    Silentpool
    Monkey47
    Ophir

Choose anything in the bottom left corner...I'd suggest the Glenfiddich
    That is a great chart, thank you

Craftsman
    Has been helping me through whiskey choices for years!

I generally only drink gin over ice or with tonic, no martini. My preferred gins at present are:
    Bontainist
    Strathern heather rose
    Silentpool
    Monkey47
    Ophir
    The first on your list is from Islay - traditionally home to peaty, smoky whisky. However, The Bruichladdich is unpeated. Their local barley is superb. Sweet and malty. Some fruit on the nose, a bit of toffee and sherry.

At the other end of the scale, the Monkey47 (with its myriad botanicals) and the strongly oriental Ophir would tend to push me towards something unusual, like a Jura, or even Arran. But you didn't like that, so perhaps (as suggested above) something fuller, richer. Aberlour 10 (with a drop or two of water) or the 12 might be nice. The raisiny, sweetness might be a nice antidote to the peat you so disliked.

Has been helping me through whiskey choices for years!
    Where did you get it out of interest, or is it just the picture you have?

The first on your list is from Islay - traditionally home to peaty, smoky whisky. However, The Bruichladdich is unpeated. Their local barley is superb. Sweet and malty. Some fruit on the nose, a bit of toffee and sherry.

At the other end of the scale, the Monkey47 (with its myriad botanicals) and the strongly oriental Ophir would tend to push me towards something unusual, like a Jura, or even Arran. But you didn't like that, so perhaps (as suggested above) something fuller, richer. Aberlour 10 (with a drop or two of water) or the 12 might be nice. The raisiny, sweetness might be a nice antidote to the peat you so disliked.
    Obviously a very knowledgeable chap, thanks for the suggestions. I'm passing through Aberdeen airport on my way home in a week or so, so I'll make up a list and see what they've got

Craftsman
    Where did you get it out of interest, or is it just the picture you have?
    I took it at one of the first whiskey festivals I went to, when I started getting into whiskey and wanted to discover more...I definitely would suggest attending one

I haven't tried many whiskey societies, but I'm a member of The Whiskey Lounge and they arrange those type of festivals frequently in many cities...grab a hand full of mates and go to one - by far the best, most fun and (let's face it) cheapest way to discover your whiskey pallet...

Obviously a very knowledgeable chap, thanks for the suggestions. I'm passing through Aberdeen airport on my way home in a week or so, so I'll make up a list and see what they've got
    One of the best ways of trying new whiskies is by getting a selection of samples from Master of Malt. Not the cheapest, but does give you opportunity to drink quite widely, without buying bottle after bottle.

I don't know much about gin / whisky compared to the experts, but I do have an interest in both spirits. Good to see you drinking Scottish gin. A fan of Crossbill myself, and the full strength Blackwood's.

I took it at one of the first whiskey festivals I went to, when I started getting into whiskey and wanted to discover more...I definitely would suggest attending one

I haven't tried many whiskey societies, but I'm a member of The Whiskey Lounge and they arrange those type of festivals frequently in many cities...grab a hand full of mates and go to one - by far the best, most fun and (let's face it) cheapest way to discover your whiskey pallet...
    I'll look into that. I know at aberdeen airport you can get tastes of various whiskey's (probably about the only good thing about the place), I'll see if they have any of the ones mentioned so far. Also Master of Malts website do small tasting bottles for a few quid each so I may look at that as well. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far

I would say anything from Auchentoshan (Tripple Wood), Glenfiddich (Rich Oak or Solera) or possibly something like the Suntory Hibiki would be a good start.
    Little Samples bottles are a great way of finding something you like.

Sorry for the distraction but Gin drinkers may be interested in knowing the Majestic Wine carry a good choice of boutique Gins at the moment.

Master
    Just bought the last bottle of laphroaig quarter cask for £25 from asda I'll have to stay away from their offers it's costing me a small fortune

I received a bottle of Nikka Coffey Malt and was going to save it for an occasion, but couldn't resist a fingers worth, just to wet the whistle.

IT IS UNBELEIVABLY GOOD! Probably my favourite at present.

One of the best ways of trying new whiskies is by getting a selection of samples from Master of Malt. Not the cheapest, but does give you opportunity to drink quite widely, without buying bottle after bottle.

I don't know much about gin / whisky compared to the experts, but I do have an interest in both spirits. Good to see you drinking Scottish gin. A fan of Crossbill myself, and the full strength Blackwood's.
    Sorry I missed this post. Yeah I use master of malt quick a bit for my gin and have used their sampling bottles in the past. Scottish gin seems to where its at, at the moment. Not seen the two you mentioned though, what are they like?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    I would say anything from Auchentoshan (Tripple Wood), Glenfiddich (Rich Oak or Solera) or possibly something like the Suntory Hibiki would be a good start.
    Little Samples bottles are a great way of finding something you like.
    I'll add those to the list, thanks

similar one here, but with a bit more on

I'm very much in the top row, being a fan of laphroaig, lagavulin, ardbeg, guess i need to hunt down a bottle of octomore 3-152

Last edited by Brighty; 10th February 2016 at 12:09.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8193a335be.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8193a335be.jpg
    Very nice, thanks! Love these

I'm very much in the top row, being a fan of laphroaig, lagavulin, ardbeg, guess i need to hunt down a bottle of octomore 3-152
    Very good as well thanks

The Octomores are bonkers. And pricey. Or rather, I thought they were pricey until I started spending £90 on 16yo whiskies. And once you've got comfortable spending that much, I guess £130 is only a few steps away. I tried a 139pppm, seven year old at 60.5% which was like burnt frazzles. Savoury. Quite extraordinary.

Sorry I missed this post. Yeah I use master of malt quick a bit for my gin and have used their sampling bottles in the past. Scottish gin seems to where its at, at the moment. Not seen the two you mentioned though, what are they like?
    Crossbill is simply Scottish juniper and rosehip. They used to be based out past Tarbert on the Kilberry Rd, but have since moved to the Cairngorms. I rather like it. Oh, and they won Shed of the Year.

http://www.crossbillgin.com/

Blackwoods Gin is from the Shetlands. Unusual botanicals like Marsh Marigold, Sea Pink and Meadowsweet. It's probably most similar to Rock Rose. But at 60%. Which makes an incredible martini. Probably.

http://www.blackwoodsgin.co.uk

There was an interesting bit about Islay and Whisky on this show that I caught a bit of the other day:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ds1tx

Not sure if its on iPlayer. Quite interesting if brief introduction to the Bruichladdich distillery.

I really fancy trying the Octomore but £80 is really my limit for a bottle. I have been very impressed by the Bruichladdich 'Classic Laddie' and the Port Charlotte Islay Barley Heavily Peated.
    Last edited by hoopsontoast; 10th February 2016 at 22:47.

Craftsman
    Took my partner out to a lovely restaurant we have over here in Edinburgh for her birthday in October, and finished the meal with a Octomore. Definitely has the 'interest' factor and
    I am glad I tried it, however it isn't something that I'd rush back to. I think we're spoiled with good Islay's and I'd be far more likely to stock my shelves with a Corryvreckan, a Lagavulin 16 and 'a' another bottle.. and still come in below price.

Still, its only right and proper that you sample it given the chance !

My birthday is around the corner and she has paid over the odds for a single cask, 10 year old Laphroaig from Hunter Laing. I actually went into the shop with a view to taking it back, as I thought the £80 she paid is a bit off a piss take ( which it is) but didn't
    find anything sufficiently interesting that I'd change it for . Apparently they had sent most of their Japanese stock back down to their London shop as it wasn't selling here, yet it would there (which I can understand, tourist trap that Edinburgh is).
    Between that, a 17y Old Pultney, and a Hakashu incoming from different family members for my birthday I think I am confident a good birthday will be had ;)

In other news at the end of last year I visited the Dalmore Distillery. Wonderful place, great tour, would recommend it to one and all. I did do a write up at the time (along with a thanks to Matt > 'Cardshark') who had helped
    by recommending some local places to eat - but when I posted it there was a gremlin in the works, it got lost and I never got around to reposting!

Salut!

Master
    The charged you how much ???!!

For a 10 year old Laphroaig , the base level one?? That's daylight robbery. What a bunch of hoodlums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

For a 10 year old Laphroaig , the base level one?? That's daylight robbery. What a bunch of hoodlums.
    That'll be the single cask, limited to 395 bottles, presumably?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

That'll be the single cask, limited to 395 bottles, presumably?

That's the one Broussard. Hopefully it will distinguish itself slightly from the core expression.. if it doesn't I won't tell her though.. it's a well intentioned gift
    after all!

Master
    I tend to stick to the Irish (oddly enough) any Scotch i've ever tried always tasted like your above, perfect, description.

No need to spend a fortune on snobbery, only to find you still dont like it. Just get yourself a bottle of Bushmills, Powers or Jameson and start from there. In my opinion Irish is a bit sharper on the tongue but goes down more smoothly. Plus as an added bonus it doesnt taste like you've mixed it with the contents of a wood burning stove.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    I tend to stick to the Irish (oddly enough) any Scotch i've ever tried always tasted like your above, perfect, description.

No need to spend a fortune on snobbery, only to find you still dont like it. Just get yourself a bottle of Bushmills, Powers or Jameson and start from there. In my opinion Irish is a bit sharper on the tongue but goes down more smoothly. Plus as an added bonus it doesnt taste like you've mixed it with the contents of a wood burning stove.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. My dad always favoured irish whiskies. Now that you mention it I remember trying some of his Jameson's and quite liking it. I believe they used to make one called "Crested 10" as well but that maybe a few years ago now. I'll look into the irish side as well.

Just looked and Jameson's Crested 10 is on master of malts for £40. Hmmmmm

Master
    For me, 40 quid's not toooo bad every once in a while, if it's a nice drop.

I'd be interested too hear how you get on if you do get yourself a bottle.

That chart is gone come in useful , I have a bottle of the ardbeg , extremely smoky but definitely an acquired taste

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    That chart is gone come in useful , I have a bottle of the ardbeg , extremely smoky but definitely an acquired taste
    You love yourself a bit of smoke don'tcha?

I'll sort it out, next whiskey festival we go with the boys

Grand Master
    Redbreast is a superb pure pot still, especially in the 15yr old expression.

Anyone tried the latest Lidl specials yet? a 22 year old Islay and a 34 year amongst the range....a 34 year old for under £50!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    Smokey is good, Laphroaig ok, quarter cask better, both can be had for £25 in asda at the mo. Ardbeg similar, but pricier, at that price lagavulin is better. Laphroaig cask strength is my favourite, used to get it for £25-30 in asda or makro, but not seen it for a few years

Brighty

Master
    I wondered if there was a whisky thread on here - I figured there had to be, as guys do like to collect more than just watches I suppose!

I got bought a bottle over christmas and it's kickstarted a new hobby it seems. Since christmas I've indulged and acquired the following:

Lagavulin 16 Year Old
    Ardbeg 10 Year Old
    Old Pultney 17 Year Old
    Yamazaki Single Malt - Distillers Reserve
    Aberlour A'bunadh batch 49

I'm being pretty disciplined and only sticking to one or two small drams over an evening, with a few days "off" in the week - I can see how easy it is for it to become habit!! Got a few expensive outgoings coming up so I think these bottles will be lasting me for a while, but I feel I've got some good variety and some well regarded bottles there, so plenty to enjoy for a while yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    In other news at the end of last year I visited the Dalmore Distillery. Wonderful place, great tour, would recommend it to one and all. I did do a write up at the time (along with a thanks to Matt > 'Cardshark') who had helped
    by recommending some local places to eat - but when I posted it there was a gremlin in the works, it got lost and I never got around to reposting!

Salut!

Glad you enjoyed it, always enjoyed my visits there, and the King Alexander III is a proper whisky! I've a (regular) Laphroaig 10, a Select and a Quarter Cask - they're all diametrically opposed to the Dalmores and make a great contrast, though I found the Select to be a bit of a disapointment TBH.
    And it's Stuart rather than Matt, though I've been called worse ;-)

Master
    The dalmore bottles are so beautiful it would be a crime to open them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    And it's Stuart rather than Matt, though I've been called worse ;-)
    Sorry Stuart! I blame it on the whisky.

The dalmore bottles are so beautiful it would be a crime to open them
    Michael the real crime would be to leave them unopened ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Sorry Stuart! I blame it on the whisky.

Michael the real crime would be to leave them unopened ;)
    Agreed ! My better half bought me a bottle of Dalmore 15yo for Christmas... I don't know the technical terms, but if you sip it and hold it in your mouth for a few moments it kind of evaporates and you get a very real warming sensation as you swallow, with no fiery after-taste.

I love it. The bottle is going to look good on the shelf when it's finished, too

Master
    They have the dalmore 15 slightly cheaper on amazon ive seen some dodgy reveiws of it but ill still proberbley get a bottle next time i get paid, not that i really need more scotch its cheaper than collecting rolexes though

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I don't know the technical terms, but if you sip it and hold it in your mouth for a few moments it kind of evaporates and you get a very real warming sensation as you swallow, with no fiery after-taste.
    I was once at a tasting held by Colin Dunn, and he suggested that, as part of the tasting process, you should hold the spirit in your mouth for one second for every year in wood. But it's not something I recall anybody else ever saying.

I like all Glendronach offerings, but the 15yo Revival is truly the nicest.

Few drams of this tonight. Peaty but nothing too heavy, not my favourite of their offerings but still very drinkable. The Benriach 16 is getting cracked open next so hopefully I will make quick work of this.

Craftsman
    Looking at getting some Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix for a present for someone.
    What's the best "grey dealer" as such for this?

Quote Originally Posted by jhw. View Post
    Looking at getting some Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix for a present for someone.
    What's the best "grey dealer" as such for this?
    I've got one if you're looking to buy.

Master
    Got my dalmore 15 from Amazon won't be leaving a glowing reveiw as it looks like someone has played football with the box good job it wasn't bought as a present, I will have to console my with a auchentoshan American oak

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Got my dalmore 15 from Amazon won't be leaving a glowing reveiw as it looks like someone has played football with the box good job it wasn't bought as a present, I will have to console my with a auchentoshan American oak
    I have a pristine box if you want one for a display shelf

Master
    Very kind gesture amnesia not sure if it would be worth the postage cost