Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    New delivery for me today, doubt I’ll ever drink it though

Would you like me to drink it for you?

Craftsman

Are you using it to sanitise your rolex's in the safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wee nightcap.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    that Glen Grant scores very highly with Jim Murray
    i have a Port Askaig 100 proof incoming after reading his review, anyone tried it?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    that Glen Grant scores very highly with Jim Murray
    i have a Port Askaig 100 proof incoming after reading his review, anyone tried it?
    Port Askaig sounds very intriguing.
    As for the Glen Grant, not sure i agree with him. It is a very pleasant drink and easy to get down also but i still prefer others.
    Such a personal and relative thing this whisky malarkey

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Talisker 10 is now £30 on Amazon. Recommended (and with new branding).
    Available in Waitrose for £30 too. Alongside a lot of other deals on whiskey.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Auchentoshan American Oak Bottling Note

From the Auchentoshan distillery in the Scottish Lowlands comes a triple distilled single malt Scotch whisky aged entirely in first fill American oak casks.
    A light, bright whisky with plenty of vanilla sweetness at its centre - great as an aperitif dram.
    It might be OK as an aperitif - but seemed a bit 'thin' to me.

Disappointing ( for £22 at Morrison's )

z
    Last edited by zelig; 30th June 2021 at 20:10.

Grand Master
    I thought it was just too young, quite a hefty alcohol burn for a whisky at this strength and it overwhelmed everything else.
    Berry Brothers and Rudd have a set of blended malts on Amazon currently, I currently have the Sherry cask which is a strange beast, undoubtedly sulphery but huge fruit and molasses to be had.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

It might be OK as an aperitif - but seemed a bit 'thin' to me.

Disappointing ( for £22 at Morrison's )

z
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Good old father in law just got me this for my birthday (tomorrow). Never heard of this distillery but looking forward to trying it

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Good old father in law just got me this for my birthday (tomorrow). Never heard of this distillery but looking forward to trying it

I really like their wares. That bottle looks like it'll be gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Thanks - the description on the back is enticing. Mahogany colour and plenty chocolate and treacle taste

Will report back once sampled

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Fantastic distillery and this one is gonna be brilliant!!

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    [

Billy Walker (ex-Glendronach, BenRiach) is working wonders. These casks are punchy and flavoursome - hopefully you'll love it! GlenAllachie has gone from no-where to a good position in just 3 years, in another 4-5 I can see it being a real gem / collector's dream

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Billy Walker (ex-Glendronach, BenRiach) is working wonders. These casks are punchy and flavoursome - hopefully you'll love it! GlenAllachie has gone from no-where to a good position in just 3 years, in another 4-5 I can see it being a real gem / collector's dream
    That’s great info - I’m a big Glendronach fan

Giving this one a try tonight. Very nice.

Master
    This was near the tills at Aldi whilst waiting in line and it's very nice indeed. As I get older, maybe my palette has changed but I struggle to notice the difference between a £60 Speyside malt and this £20 offering.

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    This was near the tills at Aldi whilst waiting in line and it's very nice indeed. As I get older, maybe my palette has changed but I struggle to notice the difference between a £60 Speyside malt and this £20 offering.
    The Speyside 12 seems to be well regarded but I've never spotted it in my local Aldi.

I've tried a couple of their unaged single malts. They were just okay. Wouldn't buy again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The Speyside 12 seems to be well regarded but I've never spotted it in my local Aldi.

I've tried a couple of their unaged single malts. They were just okay. Wouldn't buy again.
    Having tried Aldi’s non-aged malts I’d agree. Whilst were talking budget malts however Lidl’s range are much more palatable. In particular I really like the Ben Bracken Highland malt and at under £17 it makes a great “sipping malt”.
    https://scotchwhisky.com/whisky-revi...955/batch-101/

Cheers
    Neil

Can someone recommend a bottle for around £80 as it's for an 80th present, as an alternative maybe a bottle of brandy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    Can someone recommend a bottle for around £80 as it's for an 80th present, as an alternative maybe a bottle of brandy
    this has been getting excellent reviews, beautiful smooth speyside

https://www.amazon.co.uk/anCnoc-High...222830&sr=8-24

if they like something with a bit of peat and spice then this: in my top 5, peaty, pepper, chilli, old leather, brine, smoke.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Talisker-Ye...%2C207&sr=8-11

or... go for this set...pure blended malts in 4 styles, from a very respected house. i've tried three of them and all are excellent berry bros classic range
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=berry+b...ref=nb_sb_noss

and a bit cheaper but this has gone straight into my top 5, i think this is stunning for the price
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arran-Machr...s%2C306&sr=8-9
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 14th July 2021 at 01:47.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks for the recommendation, I shall be buying one of those Taliker for myself

I ended up buy the brandy below, have had the normally one many times over the years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whiskey

Bought on the recommendation of the very helpful chap at Royal Mile Whiskys

Wee Beastie for me tonight! Cheers.

Craftsman
    I've had this stashed away for several weeks, but looking forward to working through it...it's been a couple of years to attend a whisky festival in person for obvious reasons, so I though this "festival in a box" offer for £45 was a no brainer!

Any of these you think I should be particularly excited about?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I've had this stashed away for several weeks, but looking forward to working through it...it's been a couple of years to attend a whisky festival in person for obvious reasons, so I though this "festival in a box" offer for £45 was a no brainer!

I have the same box!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post

Wow. Where from? I'll have a crack at all those given I recognise just three distilleries there!

Edit make that nine. So many unknowns, most tempting.

Craftsman
    Wow. Where from? I'll have a crack at all those given I recognise just three distilleries there!

Edit make that nine. So many unknowns, most tempting.
    The Whisky Lounge, though I think this package is long sold out...they do run larger whisky festivals across the country (pandemic permitting) and I'd highly recommend going for whisky exploration!

I tried half measures of Hinch & Waterford (Irish), Pike Creek (Canadian), Wolfburn (north highlands) and Glasgow Distillery...all were very enjoyable, and very different! There's You Tube tasting recordings with brand ambassadors/distillery managers, which are informative though also a bit long (and boring in places)

Better call it a night though....

Blog Entries
    A couple of new arrivals

Both nice.
    But the Glenlivet is bit ‘richer’ in flavour & price.

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Wee Beastie for me tonight! Cheers.
    Having like Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadail, I've been tempted by this ... but suspect it may be a bit 'fiery' - is it worth a punt ?

z

Having like Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadail, I've been tempted by this ... but suspect it may be a bit 'fiery' - is it worth a punt ?

z
    Worth a punt Darren. Far more complex than I expected of a 5 year old whiskey. Smokey indeed but it really is a good dram at the price point.

Grand Master
    hows the Illicit Still? keeps tempting me on amazon

A couple of new arrivals

Both nice.
    But the Glenlivet is bit ‘richer’ in flavour & price.

z
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    Worth a punt Darren.
    Far more complex than I expected of a 5 year old whiskey.
    Smokey indeed but it really is a good dram at the price point.
    Thanks Gav - I will give it a whirl when I next stock up

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    hows the Illicit Still? keeps tempting me on amazon
    From these Tasting Notes at Master of Malt...
    Nose:
    Pear drops, green apples, custard, freshly baked pastries with flaked almonds and a dusting of sugar.

Palate: Honeyed porridge, more green apple brightness, a slow build of red berries, perhaps a touch of festive spice.

Finish: Fried banana, drying oaky spices, waxy citrus peels.

I've highlighted where I can pick up the same. No idea how they get red berries nor the green apples
    Maybe my palate is defective - I pick up some vanilla/marshmallow too - but I'm no expert.

Overall, it's sweet, smooth & very pleasant dram - so I quite like it - & worth a punt at £36.
    ( I also like the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair if that helps)

z

Tonight’s treat.

After finishing my Springbank 15 a little while back this is the only Campbeltown I currently have, not that I'm complaining.

One of the finest sub-40£ single malts out there, in my opinion. The 8yo CS is pretty good too, although I'm not yet convinced by the Heavily Peated.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    After finishing my Springbank 15 a little while back this is the only Campbeltown I currently have, not that I'm complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    One of the finest sub-40£ single malts out there, in my opinion. The 8yo CS is pretty good too, although I'm not yet convinced by the Heavily Peated.

Agreed, in fact I've just ordered my 3rd bottle of 12y along with an Arran Sauternes and a Glenfarclas 105, the latter two I'm yet to try.

The Kilkerran 8y CS is lovely however it's not cheap, MoM have their latest CS at £150!

Edit to add that I thought I'd bottle-killed the Springbank 15 only to find that I've still got maybe a double left - result!
    Last edited by CardShark; 8th August 2021 at 22:26.

Grand Master
    cheers, might be my next bottle i think.....
    Thanks Gav - I will give it a whirl when I next stock up

From these Tasting Notes at Master of Malt...
    Nose:
    Pear drops, green apples, custard, freshly baked pastries with flaked almonds and a dusting of sugar.

Palate: Honeyed porridge, more green apple brightness, a slow build of red berries, perhaps a touch of festive spice.

Finish: Fried banana, drying oaky spices, waxy citrus peels.

I've highlighted where I can pick up the same. No idea how they get red berries nor the green apples
    Maybe my palate is defective - I pick up some vanilla/marshmallow too - but I'm no expert.

Overall, it's sweet, smooth & very pleasant dram - so I quite like it - & worth a punt at £36.
    ( I also like the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair if that helps)

z
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Agreed, in fact I've just ordered my 3rd bottle of 12y along with an Arran Sauternes and a Glenfarclas 105, the latter two I'm yet to try.

The Kilkerran 8y CS is lovely however it's not cheap, MoM have their latest CS at £150!

Edit to add that I thought I'd bottle-killed the Springbank 15 only to find that I've still got maybe a double left - result!
    Up until last year, I was able to buy the CS at retail. I don't know what's happened to whisky prices (scratch that, I know *exactly* what's happened) but the number of "investors" that are buying up bottles for onwards resale or auction is disappointing. It seems as though (much like the watch world) people are wont to speculate on future prices rather than enjoy these whiskies.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Up until last year, I was able to buy the CS at retail. I don't know what's happened to whisky prices (scratch that, I know *exactly* what's happened) but the number of "investors" that are buying up bottles for onwards resale or auction is disappointing. It seems as though (much like the watch world) people are wont to speculate on future prices rather than enjoy these whiskies.
    Totally agree.
    Anyway, am enjoying a wee dram of Aberfeldy 12 tonight after a visit to the distillery last month.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not drunk any Scotch for a while so sold some of my 30 yrs recently on auction last month. Along with some random Hibiki bottles I had laying around.

Over 2x return in 11 months, one looks to have been a new auction record for the bottling, non Macallan bottles.

At the lower end Macallan NOS is still and easy 3-5x return on their annual collection releases.

Not sure anything over 30 years is worth the money is drinking.

Blog Entries
    Hi, a woman I work with has inherited a very large selection of single malt whisky and runs and brandy's, most go back to the 8os, she wants me sell some of them, going to hers at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Not drunk any Scotch for a while so sold some of my 30 yrs recently on auction last month. Along with some random Hibiki bottles I had laying around.

Over 2x return in 11 months, one looks to have been a new auction record for the bottling, non Macallan bottles.

At the lower end Macallan NOS is still and easy 3-5x return on their annual collection releases.

Not sure anything over 30 years is worth the money is drinking.

Thats good to hear, i managed to snag a recent Macallan Concept 3 David Carson Art set when i entered the Macallan ballot, they only did 132 sets, didn't realise it would cost £465 shipped when i entered, anyway bit the bullet and took it when i was told i'd been selected via their ballot. Just went online to check what they go for and the last one went in auction for £3200!!!

Just have to work out the best way to store it now and leave it untouched lol...

I had a bit too much of this last night as it was rather splendid:

£30 a bottle at Tesco’s….recommended!

Master
    Cotswolds is a tremendous dram.
    And that’s from a Scotsman

Craftsman
    Tried the ancnoc 18 in a bar last week, very nice, will be getting a bottle at some point.

Craftsman
    Have you tried the 10 CS or the 10 sherry oak?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I had a bit too much of this last night as it was rather splendid:

£30 a bottle at Tesco’s….recommended!
    …And on ze list

z