closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 4124

Thread: Whiskey

So a quick question for the whiskey experts. My tastes run to the smooth and sweet (very easy drinking) end of the spectrum.
    What would you regard as the no. 1 choice single malt in this category?

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    So a quick question for the whiskey experts. My tastes run to the smooth and sweet (very easy drinking) end of the spectrum.
    All very personal taste. And dependent on budget. Try:-
    Glenmorangie
    Glenlivet
    Dalmore
    Ben Riach
    Dalwhinnie

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Depends on budget but Balvenie 14 would be my pick under £70

Craftsman
    So I may or may not be taking a step closer to 29 soon, and as a result a couple of new bottles have appeared on my shelf.

First is a Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10y/o. This I picked for myself after trying a couple of Bruichladdichs last year although admittedly not this one. The tasting notes sounded very enticing and it was priced just under the wife’s budget for a bottle.

The second is one I had no warning of but was responsibly left on my doorstep this afternoon along with a WhatsApp message. It was The English Small Batch Rum Cask Matured. Reading the tasting notes on the distillers’ website makes this sound like a verrrry nice dram indeed but I confess to never having looked into this distiller before. I have a very fond memory of a Balvenie Caribbean Cask so I’m hopeful for this one!

Anyway, happy Sunday evening everyone!

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Depends on budget but Balvenie 14 would be my pick under £70
    The Caribbean Cask? That was the first whisky I thought of after reading the question, lovely drop though not one I've had in a while. It can be found in some of the larger supermarkets and is occasionally on offer as well.

Trying out a new whisky tonight -

Gānbēi

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glengoyne, glentauchers
    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post

The second is one I had no warning of but was responsibly left on my doorstep this afternoon along with a WhatsApp message. It was The English Small Batch Rum Cask Matured. Reading the tasting notes on the distillers’ website makes this sound like a verrrry nice dram indeed but I confess to never having looked into this distiller before. I have a very fond memory of a Balvenie Caribbean Cask so I’m hopeful for this one!

Anyway, happy Sunday evening everyone!
    I'll be interested to see how you get on. I had the chance to visit their distillery a couple of years ago and despite wanting to be enthusiastic for English whisky, and despite being open minded on all things whisky, I have to say I found the samples I tried to be bordering on undrinkable honestly. It may well be maturation in different casks though really opens it up and I'd never say never regarding trying other expressions of theirs :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Arrived, time to try it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Back on Amazon at £30

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried this? The Ardmore Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Has anyone tried this? The Ardmore Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    Many times. It’s nice.

Anyone know if Laphroaig Lore is a limited release or a 'permanent' member of their lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Anyone know if Laphroaig Lore is a limited release or a 'permanent' member of their lineup?
    Pretty sure it's core. Not sure why; it's pretty forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I was considering buying a bottle of lore this morning, might give it a miss then if its nothing special.

Good to hear it's sticking around, thank you. Gives me more of a chance to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    I was considering buying a bottle of lore this morning, might give it a miss then if its nothing special.
    I've only heard good things thus far other than Broussard, but I haven't tried it myself.

Taste is so subjective that there will always be those who love/like/nothing special/dislike/hate!

Good to hear it's sticking around, thank you. Gives me more of a chance to try it out.

I've only heard good things thus far other than Broussard, but I haven't tried it myself.

Taste is so subjective that there will always be those who love/like/nothing special/dislike/hate!
    I thought it as underwhelming and overpriced. I can't find my notes (I may not even have taken any). It's disappointing, because it's obviously a very good distillery, and I was a huge fan of the 18, but the Select, Lore and QC just remind me of how much I used to enjoy Laphroaig.

I thought it as underwhelming and overpriced. I can't find my notes (I may not even have taken any). It's disappointing, because it's obviously a very good distillery, and I was a huge fan of the 18, but the Select, Lore and QC just remind me of how much I used to enjoy Laphroaig.
    I'd agree with you that the QC and Select are very mediocre. I would guess we have similar palettes.

At 30 or 40 quid I'd take a punt on Lore but at £65+ I'd rather buy something else I know is worth that kind of price point.

I'm a big fan of the regular 10 and it's my go too, always in the cupboard Peated offering.

The description of lore I've seen such as "contains some of our most precious stock" makes it out to be something special. AFAIK It's the only nas core Laphroaig I've yet to try.

I think I'll probably try and source a sample to try it before I'd commit to a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Many times. It’s nice.
    Edit: if it’s the one cheap on Amazon I’m not sure I have had it - I don’t remember the ‘Legacy’ name. Still at £18 a bottle it’s probably worth a punt....

I'd agree with you that the QC and Select are very mediocre. I would guess we have similar palettes.

At 30 or 40 quid I'd take a punt on Lore but at £65+ I'd rather buy something else I know is worth that kind of price point.

I'm a big fan of the regular 10 and it's my go too, always in the cupboard Peated offering.
    The Select is foul IMO, I don't mind the QC though prefer the 10.

If you haven't tried it Ardbeg's Uigealdial is around the same price as Laph's Lore, I'm on my 2nd bottle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    The Select is foul IMO, I don't mind the QC though prefer the 10.

If you haven't tried it Ardbeg's Uigealdial is around the same price as Laph's Lore, I'm on my 2nd bottle of it.
    I have tried the Uigealdial and liked it too. Wasn't that fussed on the An Oa though.

Another favourite of mine is the Highland park dark origins, have you tried it before? Getting harder to find now its discontinued.

Master
    The description of lore I've seen such as "contains some of our most precious stock" makes it out to be something special. AFAIK It's the only nas core Laphroaig I've yet to try.

I think I'll probably try and source a sample to try it before I'd commit to a full bottle.
    Just marketing BS.

Another favourite of mine is the Highland park dark origins, have you tried it before? Getting harder to find now its discontinued.
    I've only ever bought one bottle of Highland Park and that was the 12yo some eleven years ago, it was the first ever single malt that I'd bought and was done so after a stag do in Edinburgh after trying a flight representing each region. I wasn't too keen on it (though I had no back catalogue to compare it to as I was a complete noob and it must have been a different Highland in the flight) and have never bought a HP since other than a double measure of one of their more expensive bottlings when I was in Scotland last year. I wasn't that enamoured by that one either, though for the life of me I can't remember which one it was other than having a NOS Viking themed name.

I've been to Orkney though have never visited the distillery. Perhaps I'm doing them a disservice however with the way that their younger core range, and some others, appear to be branded it puts me off, and I say that knowing that I may well be missing out on something I'd enjoy.

Just marketing BS.
    Your probably right there. When there is no age statement to promote, they have to fill the back of the label with something.

I'd guess we have all been duped at least once by a snazzy writeup or nice wooden box and ended up with something rather disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've only ever bought one bottle of Highland Park and that was the 12yo some eleven years ago, it was the first ever single malt that I'd bought and was done so after a stag do in Edinburgh after trying a flight representing each region. I wasn't too keen on it (though I had no back catalogue to compare it to as I was a complete noob and it must have been a different Highland in the flight) and have never bought a HP since other than a double measure of one of their more expensive bottlings when I was in Scotland last year. I wasn't that enamoured by that one either, though for the life of me I can't remember which one it was other than having a NOS Viking themed name.

I've been to Orkney though have never visited the distillery. Perhaps I'm doing them a disservice however with the way that their younger core range, and some others, appear to be branded it puts me off, and I say that knowing that I may well be missing out on something I'd enjoy.
    I like the 12yr and the Dark Origins, the older stuff and other nas options I'm not that fussed on. They start getting very expensive very quickly (The 21 is over £200 now)

You should prob try the 12 again. I picked a bottle up today in tesco with the weekly shop. It's down to £25 atm.

Ardbeg 12 is down to £37 in Tesco...in you have one near you, which I don't! Otherwise it's at least a tenner more everywhere else.
    It's one I'd really, really like to try - sounds right up my street.

Ardbeg 12 is down to £37 in Tesco...in you have one near you, which I don't! Otherwise it's at least a tenner more everywhere else.
    It's one I'd really, really like to try - sounds right up my street.
    I seen the Ardbeg 10 today in my local tesco. It's a good price for it but I just prefer the Laphroaig 10.

Sadly they were out of that, so I settled on the HP 12 to replenish the peated gap on my whisky shelf.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    All very personal taste. And dependent on budget. Try:-
    Glenmorangie
    Glenlivet
    Dalmore
    Ben Riach
    Dalwhinnie

I have the same tastes and confirm on the Glenmorangie. Also a big fan of Chivas - visited the distillery last year!

I like the 12yr and the Dark Origins, the older stuff and other nas options I'm not that fussed on. They start getting very expensive very quickly (The 21 is over £200 now)

You should prob try the 12 again. I picked a bottle up today in tesco with the weekly shop. It's down to £25 atm.
    This is really good - a good into into smokey whisky as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    This is really good - a good into into smokey whisky as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    It was my first ever Peated whisky, after the first sip I thought I was chomping on an ashtray!

It's an acquired taste but you soon get used it to and It one of my favourite styles now.

I've just ordered a few more bits from the whisky shop Inc this Xmas dram box, which just happens to have a sample of the Laphroaig lore.
    Last edited by DamianM; 11th June 2020 at 19:32.

Just a heads up.

They are releasing the reserve number three this month (in eleven days), the number two was lovely.

https://www.lakesdistillery.com/onli...le_malt_whisky

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just a heads up.

They are releasing the reserve number three this month (in eleven days), the number two was lovely.

https://www.lakesdistillery.com/onli...le_malt_whisky
    Just bought their limited edition sherry expression from Amazon for £33. Not gonna open it for a while, can't be many left now??
    Also bought in the Co-op today was Glen moray sherry cask edition for £20. First glass as i type and is right up my street. On the sweet side, velvety smooth and all butterscotchy .... mmmm
    Think I've mentioned on here before that i am in reverse on my whisky journey, started off liking smokey/peaty, ala Laphroaig, and now love sherried.
    Recent purchase also was Crabbies yardhead, just compared this beside the Glen moray and it makes it ( Crabbies) seem a bit harsh!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have three bottles ordered.. the first two versions released both sold out.

I forgot I was given this at Christmas! It’ll make working late interesting....

It was my first ever Peated whisky, after the first sip I thought I was chomping on an ashtray!

It's an acquired taste but you soon get used it to and It one of my favourite styles now.

I've just ordered a few more bits from the whisky shop Inc this Xmas dram box, which just happens to have a sample of the Laphroaig lore.
    Great find! £65 quid on the Lore is pushing to being too much for me to buy blind, but I'm coming close to doing so. Great that you get a chance to taste it in that set to try before you buy.

Great find! £65 quid on the Lore is pushing to being too much for me to buy blind, but I'm coming close to doing so. Great that you get a chance to taste it in that set to try before you buy.
    It's surprisingly hard to find a sample of lore that's not close to £20 Inc delivery to NI. Got lucky its in this set.

These are working out about 4 quid each so decent value for a night cap.

Also just found out quidco are doing 4.8% cashback for the whisky shop, its too late for me but might be useful for someone else.

I forgot I was given this at Christmas! It’ll make working late interesting....

I bet there's plenty of cracking drams hidden in there.

Some good prices on the sale tab here:-

https://www.thewhiskyworld.com/sale

House of Malt do online tastings where they send you the various drams and hold an online session. I missed their Glenfarclas tasting this Friday unfortunately (5 drams for £25), where they hold it on Zoom. I'll be keeping an eye out for their next one.

I did buy a few things and they've given me a link to get 5% off for anyone interested, just PM me - I don't think I get anything for that FYI, I just think they seem to be a decent bunch and were the cheapest online I could find for what I was looking for. Customer service was great dealing super fast with my queries and delivered next day. No affiliation etc.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 16th June 2020 at 13:55.

Yeah, Milroys are doing that too. Not sure if their shop is open again yet, but it's a bit of a trek for me anyway these days. When I used to work up in London regularly I was a pretty regular customer of theirs - very knowledgable and able to get some rare bottlings.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Yeah, Milroys are doing that too. Not sure if their shop is open again yet, but it's a bit of a trek for me anyway these days. When I used to work up in London regularly I was a pretty regular customer of theirs - very knowledgable and able to get some rare bottlings.
    Just had a look at their site, thank you for the heads up.
    They don't say the number of samples you get for the £35 or £60 - any clues from your experiences?

Looks like they're individual tastings, so one-on-one. Quite an interesting approach!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 16th June 2020 at 14:17.

Master
    Just had a look at their site, thank you for the heads up.
    They don't say the number of samples you get for the £35 or £60 - any clues from your experiences?

Looks like they're individual tastings, so one-on-one. Quite an interesting approach!
    Milroys are great. For anyone interested in virtual tastings check out london whisky club. I’m a member and there have been some fab tastings the last couple of months

Milroys are great. For anyone interested in virtual tastings check out london whisky club. I’m a member and there have been some fab tastings the last couple of months
    Another vote for the LWC. A really good club - and not just for Londoners!

Just got the supplies in for the virtual GTG tomorrow night.

The axe is in case I need to quickly terminate the internet connection if Unclealec starts taking his clothes off again.

Tried Ardbeg 10 last night, with my previous favourite of Talisker Storm. They both showed up things I now feel are lacking in both!

I felt the Ardbeg was almost all mid to high, and lacked the lower end body of the Talisker, and subsequently felt the Talisker was not quite as nuanced and detailed as the Ardbeg. I really enjoyed the really quite complex nose of the Ardbeg 10 and the bright flavours, but felt it was lacking the lower end.

Any recommendations for something akin to the complex, smokey, brightness of the Ardbeg 10 but with more deeper notes? Uigeadail perhaps?

Master
    Tried Ardbeg 10 last night, with my previous favourite of Talisker Storm. They both showed up things I now feel are lacking in both!

I felt the Ardbeg was almost all mid to high, and lacked the lower end body of the Talisker, and subsequently felt the Talisker was not quite as nuanced and detailed as the Ardbeg. I really enjoyed the really quite complex nose of the Ardbeg 10 and the bright flavours, but felt it was lacking the lower end.

Any recommendations for something akin to the complex, smokey, brightness of the Ardbeg 10 but with more deeper notes? Uigeadail perhaps?
    Oogie or Corry are good Ardbeg steps up; the basic Talisker 10 or Distiller's Edition are both far superior to the Storm. The Distiller's version is one of my favourite Taliskers, having tried pretty much everything up to the 25. The Port Ruighie is also nice.

Oogie or Corry are good Ardbeg steps up; the basic Talisker 10 or Distiller's Edition are both far superior to the Storm. The Distiller's version is one of my favourite Taliskers, having tried pretty much everything up to the 25. The Port Ruighie is also nice.
    I shall investigate the Oogie and Corry further then, thank you for the recommendation (I can at least spell those now without having to look them up)

Talisker 10 I don't seem to get on with - when comparing to the Storm it felt less interesting, thinner and tasted too rubbery. Somehow, the Storm's scent is smoked paprika whilst the Talisker 10 old tyres!

Master
    I shall investigate the Oogie and Corry further then, thank you for the recommendation (I can at least spell those now without having to look them up)

Talisker 10 I don't seem to get on with - when comparing to the Storm it felt less interesting, thinner and tasted too rubbery. Somehow, the Storm's scent is smoked paprika whilst the Talisker 10 old tyres!
    If you don’t like tyres the Talisker DE and Oogie would be better - I do get some petrol and rubber from the Corry

If you don’t like tyres the Talisker DE and Oogie would be better - I do get some petrol and rubber from the Corry
    Great, thank you kindly for the steer

This will be a good night...

Last edited by Kirk280; 20th June 2020 at 01:47.

This will be a good night...

Nothing better than a box full of drams

I'm working tomorrow, so plan on starting into mine tomorrow night.