closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on holiday, should I take an expensive watch?

Going on holiday, should I take an expensive watch?

I'm going on holiday to see the Pyramids and am wondering if I should take my Sinn U2 ? Are there brazen robbers there ? I'm considering getting a rubber strap/deployant to make it look less expensive. A few more posts and I can finally go back to Sales Corner and look around :)

The alternative is to wear a cheap £20 Timex I've had for a few years.

Re: Going on holiday, should I take an expensive watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando
    I'm going on holiday to see the Pyramids and am wondering if I should take my Sinn U2 ? Are there brazen robbers there ? I'm considering getting a rubber strap/deployant to make it look less expensive. A few more posts and I can finally go back to Sales Corner and look around :)

No, there's no brazen robbers there.

Plenty of VERY brazen salesman though.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

thanks, I'm a little worried though, and the sand and everything, but I keep it screwed down. I had no problem wearing an Omega GMT when going to Sweden. I guess I'm just being paranoid? I also have to worry about a nickel allergy and in the heat there, I may be affected. I don't think the bracelet is made of the same tegimented submarine steel. I asked Neil at Chronomaster a couple of years ago.

Personally I'd wear the Timex, it's just one less thing to worry about :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Take both, that way if you get mugged, you can always haggle for him to take the Timex :D

Grand Master

This is the sort of Q normally asked by very un-travelled Americans wanting to know if all the backward cavemen in 'Europe' will have at their JLC or Breguet as soon as they step off the boat :shock:

I really, really doubt any robber near the Pyramids is going to know/care what a U2 is. He will think it's a rock band. So it's no more or less likely to get nicked than a G-Shock or whatever.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    Personally I'd wear the Timex, it's just one less thing to worry about :)
    I was thinking that, and no worries about getting it wet, like i am with my watches even though it's rated for 2000m!
    I'm not even considering taking the Aquatimer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

put the watch back in the box , step away and take a deep breathe :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

This is the sort of Q normally asked by very un-travelled Americans wanting to know if all the backward cavemen in 'Europe' will have at their JLC or Breguet as soon as they step off the boat :shock:

I really, really doubt any robber near the Pyramids is going to know/care what a U2 is. He will think it's a rock band. So it's no more or less likely to get nicked than a G-Shock or whatever.
    That's I tend towards the U2 for the trip. I tend to travel in Europe and North America and not worry about it. And I'm not American. I've read in guides warning about pickpockets etc, so I'm worried about my new £500 phone as well (the N900) especially after all the time waiting on that pre-order!

PS. I'll be staying in Central Cairo and taking a day flight to see Luxor.
    I should be more worried about mosquitoes (I hate them!) rather than this... maybe I should take long sleeve clothes. I guess the way I dress they won't think any watch I'm wearing is expensive anyway... never had a problem in Tottenham :P

Master

Take it & enjoy wearing, that's why you got it right

I try not to worry about stuff like that, as mentioned before wouldn't think many would know a Sinn anyway

enjoy your hols

I guess this Sinn - in my eyes - cost double what it did as the first time I bought it, UPS stole it. Took me a year or two to even contemplate buying it again :(

I guess this Sinn - in my eyes - cost double what it did as the first time I bought it, UPS stole it. Took me a year or two to even contemplate buying it again :(
    Didn't they reimburse you? :shock:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

+1

You'll be fine mate. I've been to Africa and the Middle East on countless occasions and never ever had a problem. Take it, wear it, enjoy it. :)

Yeah , go for it - you'll always kick yourself posing in front of those pyramid wearing the timex... :?

Neil

I should be more worried about mosquitoes (I hate them!) rather than this... maybe I should take long sleeve clothes.
    Yes you should. And take a Deet-type mosquito repellent for yourself and a plug-in repellent for the room.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Wear your Sinn U2. No one would ever know it is special. Also if it gets lifted you have an excuse to buy a new watch :D

it does raise an interesting question though. i know the caribbean well, have family there, and have been told many times not to wear a rolex diver. it's not even that one might be mugged but even in the posh resorts there have been targetted attacks that could, just possibly, result in some harm coming to you or a loved one. just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
    it does raise an interesting question though. i know the caribbean well, have family there, and have been told many times not to wear a rolex diver. it's not even that one might be mugged but even in the posh resorts there have been targetted attacks that could, just possibly, result in some harm coming to you or a loved one. just not worth it.
    Never had a problem wearing mine there; Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, BVI, Caymans, St Kitts, St Lucia, Trinidad, Tobago and yes, Jamaica!

R

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    Didn't they reimburse you? :shock:
    Long story but no. I almost lost this new Nokia N900 to them as well. Why do they refuse to ring the doorbell and knock ? It was lucky that I was right by the door when the faint knock came. I reckon it would have went on eBay as it's a pre-order.

Master
    Blog Entries

Wear & enjoy it - get one of Eddie's retro-PU straps if you want to "de-bling" it. And follow Ralphy's advice RE mosquitos.

Master

take it man, it's only a little piece of steel. If it gets robbed %$^& it !!

why own something you have to think twice about wearing

get it insured if your that stressed

they probably would not know what it is. A Rolex for sure would attract attention but not a Sinn

Plenty of these guys about so you'll have no problem, wear what you like, if you are sticking to the main tourist area's you'll never be more than a few yards from a cop with an AK or whatever it is they use. Although I wouldn't wander up any side streets on your own :lol: :lol:

And if he isn't doing a job there are the Tourist Police, these guys are pretty good at beating back any kids that get closer with big canes.

Definitely one place that is worth a look once but generally the place is a sh#t hole.

Enjoy :D

Wear your U2, if it can't cope with the conditions it's not a proper tool watch. You'll enjoy wearing a nice watch on holiday - the UTC hand will be useful, and if anyone tries to mug you it will make a good knuckle duster ;)
    I doubt local thieves would recognise a Sinn, they'll be more interested in gold watches, Rolex, nice mobile phones etc.
    Most importantly I've found Egyptians to be honest, wonderful people - can't vouch for the whole country but you'll almost certainly be OK. You're more likely to find dishonesty among fellow tourists!
    Steve

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Most importantly I've found Egyptians to be honest, wonderful people - can't vouch for the whole country but you'll almost certainly be OK. You're more likely to find dishonesty among fellow tourists!
    Steve
    +1

the fellow tourists would worry me more.

mike :wink:

IMO no point in having it unless you wear it.
    They are not ornaments.
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Steve
    Mugging is pretty much unheard of in Egypt, as is any form of violent crime towards tourists. You are a lot safer walking the streets of any town than the equivalent UK counterpart (there are no drunken 'yoofs' for a start). I've experienced honesty there that is humbling, given the average income of the populace. In addition, for every tourist policeman you see there are an average of five plain-clothes cops, so the security presence is quite high. Convicted thieves face a long prison sentence and Egyptian prisons are far removed from western ones. :shock: If you got anything stolen it's much more likely to be a non-Egyptian that is responsible. :cry:

Sadly though, there is no law against being touted to death - as the OP will find out when he arrives. :wink:

R

Quote Originally Posted by brendano
    take it man, it's only a little piece of steel. If it gets robbed %$^& it !!

why own something you have to think twice about wearing

get it insured if your that stressed

Agree, if you had a diamond encrusted Daytona then MAYBE leave it at home but not the U2 ;)

if you bought a Ferrari would you drive the wifes car to work..............?

Wear what you like - I tend to take a couple of nice wathes on holiday with me no matter where I travel - it's only a watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

In my carefree youth I was robbed loads of times travelling the world - no-one ever even looked at my watch. They took money, passport, credit cards, cameras, whisky, radio, Ray-Bans etc instead! :cry:

Grand Master

I've just returned from a cruise which included a trip to Egypt. I wore an Explorer 1 and survived :)

Seriously, I think the normal common sense rules apply; don`t go off the tourist routes and keep your eyes open.

The pyramids are awesome, but you'll be hassled to death by souvenier sellers. Sadly, Cairo and Alexandria are squalid dumps by western standards.

The El Alamein museum and the war cemetries are well worth a visit IMO.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    +1

the fellow tourists would worry me more.
    now you guys have given him two things to worry about. :lol:

Master

Take a cheapy, I say this from experience.

Dave

Craftsman

I had no problem wearing an Omega GMT when going to Sweden.
    Why should you?! :wink:

Craftsman

Take both :) :) :) :)

Take your good watch - just check on your contents insurance that you are covered for valuables outside of the home including abroad.
    It's a few bob on your premium but i always have it as normal travel insurance is PAP.

You won't get robbed for your watch - they only like white women and cash...LOL. :P

I thought I was on Timezone for a minute :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    For a minute..............? :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master

It's becoming that way.

"I had no problems with my Omega in Sweden...".

Jesus...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

It's becoming that way.

"I had no problems with my Omega in Sweden...".

Jesus...
    Good to hear that Andrew, Sweden is a dangerous place for Omega's :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I went to South Africa on holiday for 3 weeks the day after receiving my Speedy..... did i take it? No. Was advised not to take any expensive jewellery (inc the engagement ring i'd planned on taking out with me :shock: ). Ended up taking my g-shock and a costume ring.

Did i have any trouble? No. Would i have been gutted if i had any trouble and the speedy was stolen? Absolutely.

Leave the nice watch at home, take the Timex and you'll not have to worry about a thing. Granted its not much different to wearing it at home, excpet in T'egypt you'll stand out as a tourist and thus be a magnet for attention from various salesmen and charlatans...... easier just not to have temptation on your risk IMO...

I tend to wear my Sinn U1 on holiday. That includes the Caribbean, Egypt ( Cairo & Red Sea) and Mexico - all diving locations. It's never looked at, remarked over or glanced at, by the locals - and fellow tourists have their own watches! It is on a black rubber strap - ooohh eeeer missus!- so it doesn't stand out , but I wouldn't worry about it :)
    Enjoy the 'Egyptian Experience' you'll never forget it - on so many levels!

I would take it, the last time I was in Egypt I was really unwell and the locals bent over backwards to make sure I was ok. If you are worried take the advice people have already given ie insurance. But if you are going to spend the whole time worrying about it then leave it at home youre there to enjoy yourself after all.

Grand Master

Another advocate of just wear your watch .. you can get robbed anywhere, but wondering if/when it will happen usually draws attention to yourself .. enjoy your holiday; enjoy wearing your watch ..
    /vince ..

I'd save your money, install security shutters, then curl up under your duvet ......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers

Stephen

Master

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE!
    I'd save your money, install security shutters, then curl up under your duvet ......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers

Stephen
    lol, bugger going on holiday...protect the watches!

Master

I wore my Oris Small Seconds in Luxor and around (yes and immersed in it too) the Red Sea earlier this year and it seemed to go wholly unnoticed or commented upon. In general the Egyptians were a good bunch and went a long way to making you feel welcome and certainly not threatened.
    I think everybody here mentioning that common sense should prevail in that you keep to the beaten track is the most sound advice on offer. I am so pleased I wore my watch over there except for the big tan line! Still, the other side of that is that it gained huge provenance for me having worn it to dive in the Red Sea.

Master

I wouldn't worry about what watch to wear to Cairo. Just make sure you take a roll or two of Andrex.

Master

My first ever TZ-UK +1!