closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planning my first serious purchase

Planning my first serious purchase

Hello,

I've been reading these forums for I don't know how long now, but without a collection to speak of I've held back from joining up. Well, despite my reasoning, I'm taking the plunge into buying my first watch. Very much swayed by the myriad of knowledge on these forums, I have narrowed it down to a Hamilton - and have fallen deeply for a Hamilton Jazzmaster H32656725. It is however, quite far out of my £500 budget, so will require some additional savings. I could go for something similar, but I know it would just be to painful.

It has been mentioned on threads here a number of times, that typically, it's cheaper to buy a new watch from the UK then to buy from the US. However, that particular model comes in at about £700, from authenticwatches.com, and about £100 more in any UK based seller.

Would you say it's probably safer to just take the £100 hit and buy it from the UK site, or hang around in the hope that I can find a second hand one? I probably know the answer to that.

Thanks!

Dax

Master

Re: Planning my first serious purchase

Welcome :)

Firstly I would save up and get the one you want because anything else is not it.

Secondly if you are considering buying from the US you need to factor in the shipping and potential import charges that could eat up some if not all of that 100 pound saving.

For me I would buy in the UK as if anything goes wrong its easier to sort out.

Try a WTB when you have 25 posts, I have never heard of authenticwatches.com but that doesnt mean they are not good :)

Thanks for your feedback! I'll put aside the extra money and save for it, which means an extra month or two, but it's not the end of the world. I blame someone on here squarely for posting an image of that watch on their wrist - took me an age to locate the exact model!

I'll drop them an email regarding shipping and any potential customs tax, but maybe you're right, if it does break, then I would have to deal with a US based company, which could be interesting. The company seems reputable enough, though - I think they sell a lot via amazon and yahoo market places rather than direct.

Perhaps in the meantime, I'll pick up something less costly and a more 'everyday', possibly a Citizen Eco-Drive, just to get me used to wearing watches again.

Thanks again.

Choose the watch you really like in your heart and save up for it.

Do not waste time and money buying a watch that looks similar,
    in the end you'll buy your heart's watch anyway.

As for your first watch, get it as close to your home as you can financially sustain.
    When you're new to watches you'll have questions, and maybe even problems,
    and you'll need to rely more on good local service.

Once you've reached the level of a blasé WIS having owned many different watches,
    you'll be more self-reliant and have a better foundation of experience on which to
    base your decisions of maintenance, care, etc.

Blog Entries

WElcome from Holland Dax.
    Good luck finding your Hamilton for the right price.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

hi dax. welcome to the forum :albino:
    good luck with your hunt
    let us know how you get on and remember to post some pics when the day finally arrives..
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Welcome :)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Thanks for the welcomes and all the advice. That's really helped steer me in the right direction - I'll save the extra few hundred into the new year and will grab it from a UK supplier. I think that if I'm lucky enough to find it in a local highstreet store, the price will be incredibly inflated to that I can get online - Precisiontime.co.uk are UK based and it looks like a good price. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out on the off chance that any secondhand ones that popup!

Thanks again all.

Welcome to the forum.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by daxr
    Hello,

I've been reading these forums for I don't know how long now, but without a collection to speak of I've held back from joining up. Well, despite my reasoning, I'm taking the plunge into buying my first watch. Very much swayed by the myriad of knowledge on these forums, I have narrowed it down to a Hamilton - and have fallen deeply for a Hamilton Jazzmaster H32656725. It is however, quite far out of my £500 budget, so will require some additional savings. I could go for something similar, but I know it would just be to painful.

It has been mentioned on threads here a number of times, that typically, it's cheaper to buy a new watch from the UK then to buy from the US. However, that particular model comes in at about £700, from authenticwatches.com, and about £100 more in any UK based seller.

Would you say it's probably safer to just take the £100 hit and buy it from the UK site, or hang around in the hope that I can find a second hand one? I probably know the answer to that.

Thanks!

Dax
    Hi and welcome.

I have a watch purchased frp, authenticwatches.com (I bought it secondhanded), and I would say don't buy from such grey dealers.
    Here in Sweden, no AD are willing to issue a certifcate of authenticity so it's really hard to move them on when that time comes.

Buy from the SC instead.

Journeyman

I say, do what I have / am doing. Joined here very green and I'm reading a lot of posts and asking a lot of questions.

The natives seem quite friendly and I've learned heaps since stumbling fortuitously upon it. I am though, a little less definite on what I want now - which is probably a good thing, as to me a few grand on a watch is a big big investment. I won;t be looking to move it on quickly; it will be my friend for a long time, so I have to chose wisely.

At least if I get it wrong, I can blame this lot :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconCSL
    I say, do what I have / am doing. Joined here very green and I'm reading a lot of posts and asking a lot of questions.

The natives seem quite friendly and I've learned heaps since stumbling fortuitously upon it. I am though, a little less definite on what I want now - which is probably a good thing, as to me a few grand on a watch is a big big investment. I won;t be looking to move it on quickly; it will be my friend for a long time, so I have to chose wisely.

I have to say that this first purchase is quite frighting as to what I'm letting myself and my wonderful girlfriend in for, so far I have her full support. Well, I did before the budget went up to £800!

Master

Hi Dax & welcome :wave:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconCSL

I have to say that this first purchase is quite frighting as to what I'm letting myself and my wonderful girlfriend in for, so far I have her full support. Well, I did before the budget went up to £800!
    Well, at least you are not alone - we can be scared together :lol:

Saving money for something you really desire is a part of the fun. You will be grateful to yourself, when you finally obtain this piece.

Master

Welcome :) and good choice for a first big purchase. Hamilton is a good make with plenty of history. Ernest Jones stock them, so if you're near a big branch, would go and see if they have one to try on. :wink:

Depending on the cost, you may be better off flying out to wherever it's cheaper and bringing it back in on your wrist.

Disclaimer: you must declare high value items to customs.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and go for it, unless you can hold out and wait. You've been patient so long already so why not?

Master

Welcome and good luck in your search. Don't forget to post pictures, we like pictures :)

Craftsman

Well, I did before the budget went up to £800!
    Welcome Dax.
    Looks like the bug has bitten!

Welcome to this maddness! :) Always get what you want, all of this talk of getting something similar(read cheaper) to test the water is claptrap, IMHO. Get saving, the wait is exquisite torture!
    F.T.F.A.

Hi dax

I'll try and do some diggin' for you today and see what I can find in the Uk for you - welcome !

Neil

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Good luck in your search :)

Mark

Ah, yes - there's an Earnest Jones not too far from where I live - they stock Hamilton Jazzmasters, but not the exact face I'm looking for. Still, it should give me an idea of weight, etc - I'll pop down on Saturday and try one on.

And, don't worry, I'll make sure that I post photos when I finally take the plunge!

Ah, yes - there's an Earnest Jones not too far from where I live - they stock Hamilton Jazzmasters, but not the exact face I'm looking for. Still, it should give me an idea of weight, etc - I'll pop down on Saturday and try one on.

And, don't worry, I'll make sure that I post photos when I finally take the plunge!
    Good - we like photos.

Let Earnest Jones know exactly which one you want - if it's in a different branch, they might be able to get it for you to see in the flesh. Talk to the manager, get a name - they're there to help! Catch them on a Tuesday morning - they'll be bored and want to talk to someone!

If you're really saving up, and not just clearing the credit card, ask about discounts. You should be able to get a solid 15% minimum, I suggest. And enjoy the whole experience of going into the shop with a bundle of notes and walking about with something you've been after for a while! That's something that you can't get online - waiting for the postie is half as fun.