closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Investment piece?

Investment piece?

Now before everyone jumps in claiming that no watch is a good investment etc...etc... I know :)

However, I am thinking of chucking a few quid (aprox £3k +/-) at something and would like to go for something that will lose little or nothing in value over the years, providing it's condition is maintained etc.
    I don't expect to make on it, it would be nice but very unlikely but will be happy to not lose much if anything should i sell it in later years etc.
    I have considered a Sub LV, A 16600 SD (if I can find one) as I know from experience that sports Rolex do retain their value better than most.
    I could either go for a new watch depending on my final budget and AD discount etc or look for a very good pre-owned example.

This IMO may be a good way to obtain and enjoy a great watch and still have the option to get my cash back should times or circumstance require?
    Hopefully I'd end up losing nothing or at worse very little when I did sell it on to release my cash, which could be regarded as a cheap lease or rental on the watch over the years?

I know that there are other, better ways to invest money but they don't involve owning a great watch for many years :wink:

Any ideas?

Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Investment piece?

I have considered doing the same, Neil. As you say, a sports rolex is a reasonably certain way of minismising any loss, especially if purchased at the right price. I do think in my case however, that it is just another excuse to buy my next watch.

Master

As you say sports Rolex is, imo, the only way to go, Sea-dweller looks a safe bet and should be do-able within your budget.

New I'd consider a ND COSC Sub or outside bet Explorer.

Agree with the Rolex sports model... and SD should be spot on for budget... it might not go up for a while but buy right and it's certainly not going to loose any money :thumbup:

Master

If you did want to stray from the hallowed ground of Rolex sports model, I'd consider IWC, either the the 3536 or the last model Ingenuir should be available at around the £2k mark

Master

+1 on the Rolex Sports, but I'd say go on an Explorer II as something a little less common. My own preference is the White-Faced one.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I do think in my case however, that it is just another excuse to buy my next watch.

:lol: So true :wink: I figure it's killing two birds with one stone though?
    It's about the only way I can justify it to SWMBO :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

[quote=Orange Peel]
    Quote Originally Posted by "phil h":2pfbii81
    I do think in my case however, that it is just another excuse to buy my next watch.

:lol: So true :wink: I figure it's killing two birds with one stone though?
    It's about the only way I can justify it to SWMBO :wink:[/quote:2pfbii81]

Indeed, and by applying (my own twisted) logic and the inevitable year on year appreciation, buying a £3K watch will, over 5 years equal a £4K saving! :wink:

Master

If you are talking long term investment then surely Rolex (or possibly Patek) are the safest bets.

IMO the best Rolex models would be:
    Vintage: 1680
    Modern: 16800
    Recent: GMTII 16700/16710
    Current: ND Sub 14060M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

+1 for rolex sports models.

if you can find a triple 6 at a good price, and then a matte 1680. money in the bank :lol:

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel
    I am thinking of chucking a few quid (aprox £3k +/-) at something and would like to go for something that will lose little or nothing in value over the years, providing it's [sic] condition is maintained etc. ... Any ideas?
    Rolex professional models.

However, a 16600 would not be what I would purchase. A 5513, 1680 or 1675 (all with papers) would be a better choice.

Master

Spot on with a SS sports Rolex. Over a couple of years if you get a pre-owned now, you can't go wrong. The best 'investment' at the moment IMO of the modern ones (vintage is another market) would be a Sub 16610 or ExpII - I've recently sold a mint Sub and almost mint black ExpII. These go for around £2,500 - £2,700 for minty Sub date, and £2,300 - £2,500 for a minty ExpII. I reckon that by the end of next year these will each be 10% up, and over 3 - 4years even if you stomp up for a service pre-sale, you'll get back more than they owe you.

NB buy pre-owned . Even with a deep discount AD prices are now a bit silly (worse in Europe - in an AD in Belgium I saw an ExpII for €4,700!).

The ExpII has to be THE bargain at the moment, and is one of my favourites (I still have a couple). Here's my black one:

Blog Entries

It's allways the same :cry:
    Watch+investment=Rolex.
    Are you in it for the beauty of the hobby, the wealth of choice? Nothing new ever comes out of these questions, just one name.
    It's like Clint said: Rolex are like arseholes, everybody has one.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Watch+investment=Rolex.
    Are you in it for the beauty of the hobby, the wealth of choice? Nothing new ever comes out of these questions, just one name.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    calm down daddel, did you not read his post? :lol:

Master

Personally I think buying Rolex sports models as an speculation falls into the greater fool theory, where people buy things not on the presumption that its worth what they are paying rather they think that later on someone else will be willing to pay more. Just because they've been good 'investments' over the last x number of years doesn't mean they will be in the future. I mean its not like they are at all rare is it?

Buy what you like for a fair price and forget about the value. If I was going for a Rolex though, I'd either go last model SD before they got fat, an older pepsi bezel GMT or a white faced Explorer II

Master

[quote="Daddelvirks"] Rolex are like arseholes, everybody has one.[quote]

Which is exactly why there is a great used market in them - now, and will be for years to come.

Of course, everyone needs an arseh*le, but a Rolex is a bit more of a discretionary aquisition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    Watch+investment=Rolex.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Nothing against Neil or his personal choices :)
    But a great watch?
    Do something original, the choice is enormous!

Cheers,

Daddel.

Blog Entries

I am lucky enough to own several Rolex and am enjoying a recently accquired Linde Werdelin but i know that if push came to shove and i needed some quick money the Rolex would sell in heartbeat at original paid for and very probably better the LW would get some nice ooohs and aaahs and i would need to drop the price.

Its that simple as to why Rolex are the investment watch and so many other fine marques at a similer price point whilst they are to be enjoyed will loose money.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

whit a budget of 3k gbp i think it will be hard to find a nice vintage pelxi sport rolex other then a very worn 5513 or 1016

but perhaps a matte 16800 or a tritum dial 16600 would be a nice buy

cheers
    christian

Journeyman

Parabola is spot on here. The investment potential of Rolex is well known to everyone. Should demand slip a little it will start a price slide. Perhaps they are getting too popular. Too many fakes and gold models are seen as a Chav's choice. Could what happened to Burberry check happen to Rolex?

Helmbarrie

Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie
    Parabola is spot on here. The investment potential of Rolex is well known to everyone. Should demand slip a little it will start a price slide. Perhaps they are getting too popular. Too many fakes and gold models are seen as a Chav's choice. Could what happened to Burberry check happen to Rolex?

Helmbarrie
    People have been saying that about Rolex sports models for 20 odd years and they are still worth more year on year.

All the time the retail prices go up the second hand market won't be far behind.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

From concurrent post.....viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99895&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

Just dug out a receipt for a 16610 dated 19th June 2003....RRP £2350

Just ordered another one....RRP £3740

This'll be my third 16610 and one 16613 I've owned.

YES,YES, I know, why on earth did I ever sell them.

Dave

:sign3:

What is the depreciation on a new Rolex these days?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zenmonk
    What is the depreciation on a new Rolex these days?
    Depends onyour timespan but 30% seems about right for a sub

Thanks so far guys!

I'm not dumb enough to be thinking of it as an "investment" as such (despite the thread title!)
    I just want to know what will lose the least or if possible nothing over the years?

I've had 2 x 16610 (one was an LV) and 2 x SD's (last one a 'V' serial)
    Regretted selling each one so the chance to get another SD and keep what I have is very apealing.
    I may have an opportunity to buy a 'V' SD soon :wink: noting definate yet though.

Anyone know of one for sale? :roll:

As you said, no watch is a good investment. If you like the watch and are happy to keep it even if the value stays the same or goes down, and can afford it, keep it.

A couple of years ago I almost went and got an AP Alinghi with the carbon case but pulled out as that was supposed to be my house deposit. Part of me regrets it as I would have doubled my money! A friend who didn't like it at the time ended up getting one once he saw it at the AD but he's keeping it.

Agree with the comments that the Rolex sports models are a good "investment", but a second hand Panerai could be a good choice as well if they float your boat. I think Rolex Sports models and Panerai are pretty bullet proof..

Banned

Watch+investment=Rolex.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    But a great watch?

Cheers,

Daddel.

Daddel

Your dislike of Rolex is seriously getting tedius :roll: As for every arsehole has one, do you? Why not suggest a watch instead of running one down.

Blog Entries

Now before everyone jumps in claiming that no watch is a good investment etc...etc... I know :)

However, I am thinking of chucking a few quid (aprox £3k +/-) at something and would like to go for something that will lose little or nothing in value over the years, providing it's condition is maintained etc.

Any ideas?

Neil.
    Neil - if you could save up the cash - Patek is also worth a punt on investment front - but your looking at approx £10K startpoint but the return may be better..
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I must have been browsing this site and others for about a year and have noticed that when the manufacturers increase there prices buy 10% that this also seems to apply to used ones.

go and by yourself the GMT II in Sales corner for 3300 which is a thousand off list, with a price rise in the new year I cannot see that dropping much in the future. Alternatively jump for an 80's boxed and papers GMT which you should get for that money a 16700 or maybe a 16650 if you are lucky would also be good bets and are not so hard to find with box and papers.

Craftsman

I think the current range of Damaskos will be a good investment, when the new range with the in house movement are released they will probably be priced much higher which will have a positive affect on used values, especially as they are made in such small numbers.

What about Brietling models?
    They have all increased in price of late?
    I maybe talking out of term - its just an alternative opinion to Rolex.
    The new COLT (the one Travolta wears in Pelham 123) with the ivory face is retailing at £2500.
    With a haggle it could be less - they are always easy to move on. and my experince of them is good.
    Let me know if anybody is interested in a BRAND NEW one.......
    The Rolex models always look solid for the money though - but i agree they are often taken as fake or chavy when seen.

dark horse..tudor/rolex chrono pre tiger :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by johncoote69
    What about Brietling models?
    They have all increased in price of late?
    I maybe talking out of term - its just an alternative opinion to Rolex.
    The new COLT (the one Travolta wears in Pelham 123) with the ivory face is retailing at £2500.
    With a haggle it could be less - they are always easy to move on. and my experince of them is good.
    Let me know if anybody is interested in a BRAND NEW one.......
    The Rolex models always look solid for the money though - but i agree they are often taken as fake or chavy when seen.
    Breitlings fall a lot in value and old ones also lose value , even as they have increased the RRP's they still lose value

EXPII will be replaced - but I'd say the SD is going to be the one - the replacement isn't the success hoped for - and every single previous SD has increased in value for more than any other model in the Rolex stable - so...
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

I have several Omegas & Rolexes, ranging from a 1950 gold Seamaster to a 2008 Datejust (which Orange Peel owned originally :) ). All have been bought second hand over a period of 14 years. As an investment/hedge against inflation, I`m happy to keep them all as I don`t expect any to lose money vs their current value. Furthermore, I get lots of pleasure from owning them all, even though my good lady thinks I`m crazy for owning more watches than shirts.

However, if I was looking to buy watches that would hold value/increase over the next few years, here's my list:

Rolex Seadweller 16600, as recent as possible at the best price.

Rolex 14060 Sub non-date, recent COSC version for the best possible price (around £2400?). There's a fair chance Rolex will discontinue the current Sub models in favour of the latest case design, thus marking the end of the classic Sub.

Rolex Explorer 1 (114200) a few years old, for around £1600. I can see Rolex discontinuing this in the near future as it doesn`t really fit with the modern Rolex designs. Despite it's high regard on this forum, I`m not sure how well it sells vs the Datejust, which offers more for the money if buying new.

Omega 2254.50 SMP in good condition at the right price.

50s/60s Omega Constellation pie-pan in 18ct gold. The best examples keep going up in value; I wince at what I had to pay for mine compared to the prices they fetched 5 years back :) but I`m convinced they will steadily creep up in price. Buy a good one, with original unrestored dial in nice condition and correct movement; just don`t expect it to be the cheap.

Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, 5-6 yrs old, at the right price (£1200?). Having taken its initial depreciation hit, it won`t drop any further. Don`t forget to buy some polywatch to keep the Heselite (plastic) crystal in good nick.

That's my views on the subject :D....but Neil never takes my advice!

Paul

Master

Orange Peel - i have done exactly what you are considering at the mo the weekend just gone - got myself a Seadewller and love it - it will not loose any money and will only go up over time.....go ahead and and get something special... 8)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Watch+investment=Rolex.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    But a great watch?

Cheers,

Daddel.

Daddel

Your dislike of Rolex is seriously getting tedius :roll: As for every arsehole has one, do you? Why not suggest a watch instead of running one down.
    I´ve got nothing against any brand, Rolex makes (made) some very fine watches.
    But why ask if the outcome is always the same?
    Investment+watch=Rolex, we all know that.
    I'm still working on an alternative for Neil, but it's difficult I know.

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Most watches if you buy used and in good nick will lose little value over the course of time. For example a used Omega seamaster purchased in good nick about 4-5 years ago is worth the same today if still in good shape. If you're thinking more long term and if you have the funds, tyou can't go wrong with a used sports Rolex

Thanks so far guys.

Paul, although I don't share your passion for vintage I do still appreciate them.
    I have always fancied a nice 62' birth year watch, perhaps the Pie pan Connie you suggested, however I simply don't know enough about them and TBH as my tastes run at present would get more wearing pleasure from an SD or Sub.
    That doesn't mean I won't look for a nice vintage at some stage (providing I can relay on your advise :wink: )

This is not a purely investment scenario, I must also "like" the watch and want to wear it. Investment or not it won't be a safe queen (although like all my watches it will be molly coddled and babied!)

Guys, what about the Sub LV as an alternative to an SD? It's not been around as long as the standard Sub date and will probably be discontinued along with the rest of the current Subs in favour of the new case and ceramic bezel?
    Not exactly scarce but nowhere near as many around as the standard?

Well, after a board meeting with SWMBO it's agreed that I have a budget of £3k to play with.
    In other words I have have a green light :D

So, what to do?

I am looking for either an SD (Pref 'V' serial but not essential although as new as poss) OR a Sub LV? (again as new as poss).

As I asked above, does anyone have an opinion on how the LV will fare in retaining it's value compared to say the SD?

Better pop off to the sales forum now and post a WTB I suppose.........

Master

Well, after a board meeting with SWMBO it's agreed that I have a budget of £3k to play with.
    In other words I have have a green light :D

So, what to do?

I am looking for either an SD (Pref 'V' serial but not essential although as new as poss) OR a Sub LV? (again as new as poss).

As I asked above, does anyone have an opinion on how the LV will fare in retaining it's value compared to say the SD?

Better pop off to the sales forum now and post a WTB I suppose.........
    I'd say that the SD will be the better bet because they don't make them anymore, plus they are my all time favourite Rolex :D

True but pretty soon they won't be making the current LV either and that has been made in lesser numbers than the SD?
    Therefore it may hold it's value (once the SD discontinuation hysteria has calmed down) as well as the SD?

I stand to be corrected :?

Master

Sounds like you've answered your own question. LV it is :D

Don't get me wrong, my logic may be flawed :? as I said I stand to be corrected?

Master

I think you should let your heart rule on this and go for the one you really want, which I sense is the LV

Master

I vote LV - I was made for a shorter period, is away to be stopped and is comfier IMHO than an SD. Plus more versatile because you can swap the bezel for a new look if you get bored.

If I had to, I'd say Rolex.

But you should rather buy something that you like and put the rest of the money on a saving account.

The V series SD I was waiting to be available is looking doubtful now so it looks like an LV + black bezel + new GMTII C type cyclops.
    All originals still kept safe of course.

What's the craic with Datejust? Will they retain their value? I know they will not do so as much as the sports models but will they keep it better than other makes i.e Omega, Breitling etc?