closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Gold and Bi-Metal Watches Back In Vogue?

Are Gold and Bi-Metal Watches Back In Vogue?

Hello All,

With the huge rise in the price of Gold on the markets, do you believe solid gold watches and bi-metal watches will come back in to fashion and push stainless steel only of it's pedestal?

Kind Regards.

Warren

Grand Master

Re: Are Gold and Bi-Metal Watches Back In Vogue?

gold i think yes. bi metal no. :blob6:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Personally I like the bi-metall Rolex's and the bi-metall (rose-steel) Omegas

Grand Master

Doubt it, the reality is that the gold you have in a watch is only a fraction of the price you're actually paying. I think i worked it out once that the RRP on a gold Daytona was around £12000 more for the gold than the SS, in todays market £12000 would buy you 520 grams of solid 24k gold, whereas in a Daytona you'd be lucky to have 150 grams of 18k gold (75% pure).

For myself I have always liked bi-metal. I have owned solid 18K watches, but always felt to conscious of them as being a bit ''showy'', even though they are not, wheras for me bi-metal offer the best of both.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by keygold
    With the huge rise in the price of Gold on the markets, do you believe solid gold watches and bi-metal watches will come back in to fashion and push stainless steel only of it's pedestal?
    gold watches have never gone out of fashion. they are certainly less popular now but popularity and fashion are not the same thing.

two-tone (TT) watches are also less popular but there are still some brands where TT watches have steady sales - Rolex is one of them.

i don't see why you might think they will be a correlation between gold prices and what people choose to wear.

Maybe there is more to it than that.

There might be ugly/out of vogue/naff gold watches and cool/in vogue*/pretty gold watches,

Same goes for bimetal.

*not sure about the grammar here. Never used that word before

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    gold watches have never gone out of fashion. they are certainly less popular now but popularity and fashion are not the same thing.

two-tone (TT) watches are also less popular but there are still some brands where TT watches have steady sales - Rolex is one of them.

i don't see why you might think they will be a correlation between gold prices and what people choose to wear.
    The reason being that gold is pushed to the forefront of peoples minds as ''collectable'' and that anything with gold in, such as a bi-metal watch would be deemed in a positive light. When gold prices hit their high in the 70s, gold watches and gold plated rose to be the most fasionable of that era, whereas when gold value dropped SS watches rose to prominence.

Gold watches are not for me, however, a White Gold sub is a bit special.

don't give a monkeys about fashion or what others are wearing.
    i like bi metal and wear it.

the new bi metal sub is great except for the new case and that bloody rehaut - also are they only doing a date version? hate the date and magnifier almost as much as the rehaut - ok sorry, off topic rant over..... and relaaaaax. i do like the maxi dial, although wouldn't mind seeing something other than the merc hands. i suppose then even more people would be complaining then. possibly explains why many of my watches buys have been and continue to be mods.

Master

I don't give a monkey's either! They can be cool 8)

The reason being that gold is pushed to the forefront of peoples minds as ''collectable'' and that anything with gold in, such as a bi-metal watch would be deemed in a positive light. When gold prices hit their high in the 70s, gold watches and gold plated rose to be the most fasionable of that era, whereas when gold value dropped SS watches rose to prominence.
    i don't keep tabs on gold prices but haven't gold prices been steadily rising for several years now? gold is more per ounce now than it was back in the mid-80s, but i haven't seen a corresponding rise of gold watches being wornin public.

and if you want to get a vibe on what the general public thinks about your notion, you'd probably get a better reading on it by posting on a different type of forum.

i buy & wear the watches that i like...what is currently popular or what is 'collectible' isn't a consideration.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

i don't keep tabs on gold prices but haven't gold prices been steadily rising for several years now? gold is more per ounce now than it was back in the mid-80s, but i haven't seen a corresponding rise of gold watches being wornin public.

and if you want to get a vibe on what the general public thinks about your notion, you'd probably get a better reading on it by posting on a different type of forum.

i buy & wear the watches that i like...what is currently popular or what is 'collectible' isn't a consideration.
    No not really, it wasn't until ~'04 that gold started to rise:

http://www.kitco.com/scripts/hist_chart ... graphs.plx

gold or two tone are more 'mature' look whereas stainless steel is more sporty or dynamic look :D

Hello All,

Kind Regards.

Warren
    I think this is quite an interesting question.

We WIS's are guilty of seeing things from only our perspective: and for many of us that's: SS is 'toolish', gold is 'vintage/dress' and bi-metal is......... well, neither one or the other! But from the general publics perspective perhaps the OP has a point.

Gold has a very strong place in people's psyche, for many it is the symbol of both wealth and financial stability. So there is a case that (non-WIS) watch-buyers would err towards gold content in their time-piece. I'm quite sure that many would regard the gold/bi-metal offering as a) more expensive (which they are) and b) worth the money, because 'gold is expensive, innit?'. Take a moment and just consider this: who is it that actually buys a new gold watch nowadays?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

At first I only liked S/S watches, however I have always owned some gold dress watches and recently they have started to really grow on me ...specially my IWC ....

Bi-metal is a different story; I cannot really get used to it in some strange way..

Master

I have never appreciated Gold, but each to their own,

steel, titanium & pvd variants for me only,

I'm sure at some point something will click & it'll be gold all the way, but for now NO!

My brother (early 20's) is going to buy a Bi metal sub or gmtII over a SS

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nejo
    Personally I like the bi-metall Rolex's and the bi-metall (rose-steel) Omegas
    A couple years ago I was VERY close to buying the TT Rolex GMT, with the brown dial - yes, the coolest TT watch ever IMHO. A recent thread had the same watch, as won by Clint in Firefox. If it was a GMT-II, not the GMT, I would be wearing it now.

TT are for self-confident people :)

I agree with the Bi-Metal lovers, I personally have always thought they look great and very classy.

Not for me - long time since I had one.

I hope not. They look awful

Master

About as en vogue as aids..... :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by emgee
    I don't give a monkey's either! They can be cool 8)

It's a good job we all have different tastes. Personally I think that looks awful! :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen a bi metal that I do like so don't take offence. That White gold Rolex was pretty sweet though 8)

Blog Entries

As far as I'm concerned......... :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

I don't care - I think this is a sweet TT:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - :roll: old topic. There are some flat earthers who do not like them and some people who do.

I must fail somewhere in the middle as I dislike most, the only exceptions being the vintage Rolex sports models (except the Blue Sub)/Princes and the Cartier Santos - which looks great as a tu-tone on leather.

Personally the 1675 or 16753 GMT (Black Dial) are a fanstatic watch - especially as they are around 40% cheaper than the SS version - every true WIS should have one in their collection - I have :)

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by nejo

No not really, it wasn't until ~'04 that gold started to rise:

http://www.kitco.com/scripts/hist_chart ... graphs.plx
    what do you mean by "No not really"??? i said, "haven't gold prices have been steadily rising for the last several years"? the term 'several' has a connotative meaning of 3-5. as can be seen from the chart, gold has indeed been rising since 2002.

so what are you trying to refute?

in retrospect, if someone had gone heavy into gold in 1970 (price per ounce back then was approx $32USD), they'd be sitting pretty right now.

gold jewelry has been gaining in popularity the last several years, but i haven't really seen more gold watches on people's wrist during that time.

Journeyman

Maybe it's my age, but I find gold watches a bit too vulgar in a Del boy kind of way....krugerrands on the other hand I do like.....

Craftsman

what do you mean by "No not really"??? i said, "haven't gold prices have been steadily rising for the last several years"? the term 'several' has a connotative meaning of 3-5. as can be seen from the chart, gold has indeed been rising since 2002.

so what are you trying to refute?

in retrospect, if someone had gone heavy into gold in 1970 (price per ounce back then was approx $32USD), they'd be sitting pretty right now.

gold jewelry has been gaining in popularity the last several years, but i haven't really seen more gold watches on people's wrist during that time.
    Sorry, read the sentence as if you said "gold has been rising steadily since the mid-80's"

I don't care for gold watches I've decided after after having a few and they seem very soft on the re-sale market...

Craftsman

three "out of fashion"???? IWC 18ct gold

Nevertheless stunning watches and ideal for that special ocassion when big and brash just quite do not do it

Ivan
    iwcforme

I've owned and worn a few bi-metal watches over the years and a few gold ones but I still haven't found the gold watch which will be a keeper. My 2-tone GMT Master is a keeper though.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

In fact, you'd have been just as well to have bought in 1999, when our illustrious leader, Gordon Brown decided to sell off half of the UK's gold reserves when the market was at pretty-much its lowest point! A classic 'brown' moment :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... 655001.ece

Sorry, i've digressed...

I do actually think that gold watches are becoming slightly more acceptable to a lot of people. It's been out of vogue since the early 90's and these things generally have 20year cycles.

Grand Master

prEsonally I think bit-metall watches wont push steel of the the number 1 sport becuse they co'st more and watches are very expensive all ready.

I think gold PVD is beter than it was and prolly people will just by goldplated watches instead.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The only ones I like are the bi-metal Rolex sports models - or an all gold sub.
    Otherwise they do nothing for me I'm afraid.

Master
    ...do you believe ... bi-metal watches will come back in to fashion and push stainless steel only of[f] it's [sic] pedestal?

i would like a TT 16523 daytona whit black dial on a black nato strap

that would be sweet

also the TT 1675 and 16753 black and rootbeer gmt's are always very nice

cheers
    christian

For me personally I like gold watches but do prefer bi-metal, especially in Rolex models. I just feel they can be used for most occassions.

never been my thing, just silver for me,

paul

nothing wrong with a bit of gold :D

Grand Master

Bi-metal watches are very much in-vogue in my collection; I`ll get the camera out (temporarily misplaced following recent holiday) and post my latest aquisition tomorrow :wink:

Watch this space......

Paul

In my eyes, two tone looks better than full gold, that's just too gaudy and "Rio Ferdinand".

I would like to see a little more variety in two tone as well, how about titanium or tantalium with rose gold? Kinda different.

Journeyman

One of my all-time favorites:

That one works :)

I have an Omega SMP Chrono with links that have gold, titanium and tantalium. I doubt it's to everyone's taste but I like it :)

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hypophyse
    One of my all-time favorites:

8) 8) 8) 8) - although I think I'd prefer the Oyster bracelet [was it an option for this model?]