74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milguass

32 43.24%
  • Explorer II

42 56.76%

Thread: White faced Milguass v Explorer II

Master

White faced Milguass v Explorer II

Very recently i decided that i must go and have a look at the white faced Milguass and Explorer II as having seen some images on posts recently i felt strangely drawn to them :? :)

Now when i went the AD they had both a new and a pre owned Milguas and a pre owned Explorer II, also there for reference was a Pam 00113.

Its my birthday early Jan and having just missed out on something else just today i feel the need to treat myself, first impressions were that the Exp was more comfortable than the Mil, after a couple of minutes however it became obvious that i could live with either, the Mil is a lilttle bit different looking (possibly being a bit kind with that comment) and not everyones cup of soup, the Exp more "old school". Although the same size the Mil having the bigger dial has more presence.............................in the imortal words of Natalie Imbruglia I'm torn.

So if it were your hard earned which would be your choice????

Pics always welcome :)

PS The Pam was comfy but for me too big and the hand winding would do my head in............very ledgible though.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: White faced Milguass v Explorer II

Explorer for me (if I had the option), not sure why but the Miguass doesn't do it for me, plus I have no idea of how to pronouce Milguass (I pronounce it as Mill-House, like the simpsons charactor ).

Grand Master

Love the white dialled Explorer 2, one day i'll get one. The milgauss is not something that really interests me to be honest, it's a kind of halfway house between sports watch and dress watch, and without a date function i find it a bit naff.

But, as with all things it comes down to your own opinion, what looks better to you and on your wrist is what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Love the white dialled Explorer 2, one day i'll get one. The milgauss is not something that really interests me to be honest, it's a kind of halfway house between sports watch and dress watch, and without a date function i find it a bit naff.

But, as with all things it comes down to your own opinion, what looks better to you and on your wrist is what is right.
    Best thing about the milgauss is the lack of date. Dial is so perfectly balanced!

The Milgauss is probably the only Rolex I would wear. It has the benefit of being a Rolex, yet not looking like a Rolex at all.

Did I mention it doesn't have silly things like a cyclops and 'Mercedes' hour hand :bom:

Journeyman

went through the same decision when i got my Explorer II. The white faced milgauss didn't really do it for me, especially when tried on next to the Explorer II

having said that, the Milgauss GV is definitely on my list...

got to be the Milgauss for me, i have a real craving (is that the right word??) for one having not been a rolex fan until recently, although i have to confess to liking the green glassed anniversary one...

I think the pronunciation is gauss with a hard "g" since gauss is a measurement of magnetic fields and this one can can withstand up to 1000 Gauss, i.e. mil (latin for 1000 i think?). Hence Milgowss

Someone correct me please? :mrgreen:

Journeyman

I had an Explorer II (white face) for 7 years and never wore anything else, very classy watch and perfect with either shirt and tie or jeans, very comfortable, hardwearing and looked as good as new when I let it go......one vote for the Exp II :P

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73
    got to be the Milgauss for me, i have a real craving (is that the right word??) for one having not been a rolex fan until recently, although i have to confess to liking the green glassed anniversary one...

I think the pronunciation is gauss with a hard "g" since gauss is a measurement of magnetic fields and this one can can withstand up to 1000 Gauss, i.e. mil (latin for 1000 i think?). Hence Milgowss

Someone correct me please? :mrgreen:
    I have always thought the correct pronunciation of gauss was GOUSE like house,mouse etc, as i'm led to believe the German scientist Carl Freidrich Gauss name is pronounced this way. Could be wrong though :D

i think the white explorer ii is one of the most beautiful watches on the planet
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

look closer to the dial of EXPII..it is not flat at all...something likes ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by IDM

I have always thought the correct pronunciation of gauss was GOUSE like house,mouse etc, as i'm led to believe the German scientist Carl Freidrich Gauss name is pronounced this way. Could be wrong though :D
    Well one of us is. My money's on me.....*

*Being wrong that is :D

My white EXPII is one of my favourites, just such a different look.

I do like the white MG also with those orange indices. :)

Both a nice change from the ubiquitous black IMO.

I'm no help am I ? :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned

milgauss coz it looks nice on a black nato 8) also the explorer 2 is a womans watch :)

Funny I was looking at the local AD this weekend also and the had white dials of both. When I told my daughter I like them both and didn't know which to get she said I better not buy the Mil. If I did she would cut my hand off so she could throw it away.

A vote for the Explorer II for me.

had mine a long time now and still one of my my favourites.

Cheers,
    Chris.

Apprentice

Wow, I've actually had both of these watches (though the Milgauss was only for a week or so). The best I can offer pic wise is a side view comparison:

Exp II

Milgauss

I've also been and tried the PAM 113 before I had the Explorer II.

My conclusion is that I can't get on with white face watches for some reason. :?

However, they are both splendid watches. The Exp II is a classic Rolex without actually looking like one. I happen to like the cyclops and date. I also found the 24hr hand to be a nice feature, as well as being able to quick set hours without stopping the watch. I didn't like the Twinlock crown though. I am used to the Triplock crown of the Sub, so it felt a bit fiddly.

The Milgauss is a strange mix of Sports and Dress as it is a very thick watch (second thickest Rolex after the Sea Dwellers), really heavy and solid, but with a polished case and centre links. Really good bracelet and clasp, as well as a hefty crown (though no crown guards).

I suppose it depends on what you want it for, but my vote went for the Explorer II.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IDM
    Zad is korrekt! :twisted:

and for the rest:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Best thing about the milgauss is the lack of date. Dial is so perfectly balanced!
    ... It has the benefit of being a Rolex, yet not looking like a Rolex at all.
    Did I mention it doesn't have silly things like a cyclops and 'Mercedes' hour hand
    + 1 ( I prefer a black dial )

no crown guards, new bracelet.... :thumbleft:

Frank

Master

Just bought the Milgauss (GV) but still think it's a bit of a minger - I like it because it is different and all those clashing colours just work together somehow. Even the wonky second hand is OK (as long as you don't tell people why it's there and the history of the watch).

The Explorer is beautiful in white but just didn't look right on my wrist as the face looked too small. Stupid reason because it isn't small at all - I think it depends on your wrist, what size/proportion dial you prefer and whether either watch "does anything for you".

Both would be absolute corkers IMO, but listen to your own heart rather than anyone else's opinion :)

I have both and they each have their own merits. The Explorer II is more practical in terms of function, but the MG wins if you tend to wear different watches in the course of the week ( or day ) as it's much easier to set.
    The Explorer is smaller of the two and is a Rolex sports classic IMO. The MG is the best of the new generation of Rolexes in my view and breaks away from the usual Rolex moulds while still retaining the quality of the brand. The MG bracelet is clearly superior too.

Hi,

I have a love-hate relationship with white dials, after owning a white dial PAM (yes, a 00113) I promised myself never to buy one again. However, I know have bought this white dial AP RO 15300ST (as pictured below) last summer and the white dial thing is all getting back to me now.

A good friend of mine has this Explorer II (see below), and although I like it a lot, the white dial is a bit too 'hard' on my wrist. Perhaps when I had a darker skin it would be better. The Milgauss seems to be less 'hard' in terms of contrast on my wrist. Maybe because of the orange markers who seem to break the white dial a bit.

Anyway, after being hesitant about the Milgauss, I now actually like it a lot (written something about it here: http://www.fratellowatches.com/archi...-the-milgauss/). I'd like to consider it the next Explorer (114270), suitable for men's wrists :) The Explorer 114270 has - in my opinion - the cleanest dial that Rolex produces, but the size of 36mm isn't very 2009/2010 and at least not suitable for me. The 40mm Milgauss seems to be the next best thing, even with a white dial.

The Explorer II you pointed out is definitely a classic, and during the last few watch fairs in Duesseldorf, it was very popular as well. Keep in mind - like psikat wrote - that the Milgauss has a few advantages over the Explorer II, like the new bracelet and perhaps the new movement featuring some novelties (in "Rolex perspective" ofcourse).

Of the two, I would definitely plum for the Explorer. The excellent 3185 or 3186 movement, the 24 hour function, the white dial and the attractive contrast between it and the dark marker surrounds and hands make it get my vote.

Either way though - I'd be happy.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master

Guys many thanks for all you're comments and tbh the poll is at this point much closer than i would have thought :shock:

I did think the Exp II would win this hands down but to my surprise the MG has its fans!!!

To me the 2 things that the Exp II has going for it is the date and the fact that in terms of a sports Rolex model it seems to be the bargain of the decade coming in below its peers in terms of buying price, a decent one being anywhere between £2.5 and £2.8k :shock:

By the same token the MG has a more "modern" look and, love them or loath them, the PCL's have a definite quality about them.

Keep the opinions coming as i'm intrigued to see how this runs over a couple of days :D

Master

The AP is a different class and TBH out of my league :( :( :(

[quote="fratellowatches"]Hi,

I have a love-hate relationship with white dials, after owning a white dial PAM (yes, a 00113) I promised myself never to buy one again. However, I know have bought this white dial AP RO 15300ST (as pictured below) last summer and the white dial thing is all getting back to me now.

quote]

Another vote for the Exp II - hoping a decent one will come up on SC in early Jan... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Funny I was looking at the local AD this weekend also and the had white dials of both. When I told my daughter I like them both and didn't know which to get she said I better not buy the Mil. If I did she would cut my hand off so she could throw it away.
    msybe its reverse psychology since she's bought you one for christmas/birthday? Big fan of her work if she has 8)

The Milgauss has my vote emphatically. Definitely quirky and very attractive. The Explorer II in my eyes may be a classic but that isn't always a reason to own a watch. Yes it has a date, but it doesn't do it for me. Robbie

The Explorer got my vote as I just can't warm to the polished finish of the modern Milgaus. Having said that I whilst I always enjoy these "choice" posts it all comes down to what looks best on the individuals wrist. Years ago, after months of agonising I went out to buy a Sub and walked out of the shop with a GMT and have never regretted it.

Just to muddy the waters there is a fella on TZ who posts pictures of his old style Mil every now and then and that really is a superb looking thing! (tried the search function but couldn't track the photo down, sorry!)

I'm sure you'll be delighted with either of them mind....I've just read this post back and realise I've been of no use to you at all! Sorry :D :D

the milgauss for me
    but the vegetarian one with green glass and orange indexes

Explorer 11 here.
    If magnetic resistance is the attraction of the Milguass; why not have a look at the IWC Pilot. Classic looks and provenance in the field, there is also that dark horse in the anti magnetic arena - the Speedbird 111. Super watch and much more affordable than the other options.

Master

I chose the Explorer II.