closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches that surprised you (for better or worse)

Master

Watches that surprised you (for better or worse)

Could be good could be bad. Let me start the ball rolling with the Oris BC3. Fancied one but I would hardly call it a grail watch. More of a passing attraction, but I have to say that whenever I wear it, it always brings a smile to my face. unpretentious, and not an obvious copy of anything else it is just a very nice well built watch. Mine is on the rubber deplyment strap but I know tribe125 has one on a bracelet which also looks great.

So what watches have taken you by surprise?

Master

Re: Watches that surprised you (for better or worse)

The Sinn U1 for me. I'd only ever seen photos and I thought I liked it, but couldn't be sure from just photos. I met with Neil from Chronomaster to take a look and was blown away instantly. The first thing that I noticed was how the crystal was virtually invisible and that it felt like a quality product when handling it.

Bought it straight away :)

Quote Originally Posted by kfman
    Mine is on the rubber deplyment strap but I know tribe125 has one on a bracelet which also looks great.
    Indeed, and it's the watch that has surprised me the most too (although mine is a slightly different version). I never stop admiring its proportions, its shapes, and its sheer usefulness. Whoever designed it must have leant back from the drawing-board (or computer screen) wondering if he hadn't just created a bit of a classic. And since he had just created it for Oris rather than a more glamorous brand, he might also have wondered if anyone would ever notice...

The watch that genuinely surprised me with its quality, presence and sheer wearabilty is the Orient Star 300m Diver

Master

last one that surprised me was the shit fake from KL that only lasted 2 days...£20 wasted....

Could be good could be bad. Let me start the ball rolling with the Oris BC3. Fancied one but I would hardly call it a grail watch. More of a passing attraction, but I have to say that whenever I wear it, it always brings a smile to my face. unpretentious, and not an obvious copy of anything else it is just a very nice well built watch. Mine is on the rubber deplyment strap but I know tribe125 has one on a bracelet which also looks great.

Ironically enough - i sold you that didnt i ? I bought it new and never wore it for along period of time ,hence why i moved it on

I guess there will be a lot of high-end kit on this thread, but to be honest the watch that really surprised me was this Orient:

Firstly, I had read a variety of opinions about Orient watches and not all of them led to the conclusion that they were all that great; secondly, I have not really been a fan of quartz watches ever since I "discovered" mechanicals (although I have mellowed over the last 12 months or so in that area): so I was not really expecting this to be an earth-shaking experience when I bought it as a used watch.

To my surprise, from practically the moment I unpacked the watch, I really liked pretty much every aspect of it. The quality of manufacture, the styling, the legibility, the hand shape, the luminescence, the weight, the feel of the bracelet, even the colour of the steel, all exceeded my expectations. The applied Orient logo, which I had dreaded, was actually not that bad in practice and I got used to it in no time. I was delighted with my new watch.

This was a direct channel for my desire to own a Breitling B-1 and I guess my enjoyment of this watch was somewhat the same shape and texture as my enjoyment of the B-1, just the dimensions are different - if you see what I mean.

I was genuinely sad to sell this on, it was kind of a landmark for me and opened my mind in a number of ways.

Cheers,
    Steve

Journeyman

This. Just the sheer size of the thing.

Apprentice
    Portugal, hopefully in Scottland any time soon

Vostok Amphibia.
    Was expecting an almost toy-like watch, a soviet noveltie. However the watch I had in my hands was a near perfect example of function over form, clever design and effective execution. Everything under €50.
    :wink:

this is my new daily smasher i got a wk or two ago, have had a few of these over the yrs and never appreciated them
    its true as the old cliche' goes , the older you get the wiser you get too
    its just so light and thin compared to the SD which i have worn religously for the last coupla yrs and am kinda sick of.
    the gmt does it all , has a date ,extra independant time zone and rotating bezel for timing stuff.

thanks to my good mate who got me this , you know who you are buddy :)
    cheers for wiping out my watch pot with one quick swoop lol :D

Master

Sorry but I could not bond with my BM [dons flame proof suit!] lack of manual winding a pain, lots of nooks and cranny's around the bezel for crud to get in, day/date tricky to change on mine too big and floppy on my tiny wrist, was always stopping due to lack of auto winding stimulation !

Only thing I liked was the lume, which was amazing.

So the surprise for me was that I didn't like a supposed WIS classic.

Regards

tim

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonny

Ironically enough - i sold you that didnt i ? I bought it new and never wore it for along period of time ,hence why i moved it on
    Indeed you did, and I thank you for that :-)

Master

Mines my U1, I'd wanted a Sinn for 2 years and when I finally got I just felt a little deflated. Nice invisible crystal and a very legible face but the bezel feels a bit average (possibly the 60 clicks instead of 120) and the lume is virtually non exeistent. I've still got it for the time being, but I don't think it'll be a permanent fixture. I'd like to trade for a Seiko SBDX001 at some point.

Craftsman

These 2, bought for buttons and really enjoying winding them each morning.

For better...
    Glycine Lagunare, old & new versions.
    Quality at the price point.
    Both now departed, sadly.
    For worse...
    Stowa Marine Auto.
    Hated the dial, the hands, the lugs, the Stowa strap.
    But, it always looks good in pictures.
    In defence of Stowa, I also had a Prodiver, which was excellent.
    ______

​Jim.

Rolex 14060m
    The braclet isn't that bad, i'm glad I gave it the benefit of the doubt :)

not sure if its a better or worse or neither but the Speedy hasn't given me the warm feeling i feel it should have. I love its simplicity, i love the see through case back, i love that it went to the moon, i love winding it every day. But. But. But....... i put my moncao on this morning and it just makes me want to stare at it and touch it (yeah i know i'm a wrong 'un....)

will this change?.....

Master

:shock: Blimey, I was considering a Dornbluth which is 2mm bigger and thicker.

Glad I passed now.

Dave

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales
    :shock: Blimey, I was considering a Dornbluth which is 2mm bigger and thicker.

Glad I passed now.

Dave
    I do have pathetically thin wrists which doesn't help

Journeyman

Bought this for £22 in 2004 from Argos to go travelling with. It's rated to 50m (which means showerproof basically) but did some diving while away and thought, when I was at 36m I'd try out the functions. Worked perfectly then, and still works perfectly now, although it has been relegated to egg timer duties! I now use a Suunto Vyper instead.

Three watches have surprised me for better and worse at the same time:

The Precista PRS-10 for better, because it's ridiculously well made;
    for worse, because putting on a different strap changes its appearance
    instantly, I'm often in a dilemma which strap to put on.

The Seiko SBCM023 for better, because it's also very well made and
    the perpetual calendar and time-keeping is extremely good;
    for worse, because the lume on my watch has small strands of
    hair from the brush. Pity really, the rest is great.

The Rolex Explorer 114270 for better, because it's simply beautiful
    and keeps very very good time (near quartz); for worse, because
    when I had the bracelet removed to put on a strap I quickly wanted
    to change back and noticed that Rolex has built the case, endlinks
    and bracelet in such a way that it's a real PITA to put the bracelet
    back on without their own special tool.

Master

For better: Speedbird 3 - amazing quality with great proportions. Such a functional watch.
    Omega 2254 - had 3 now and would happily buy another. Does everything I need with style 8)

For worse: Planet Ocean - Wanted one of these for ages but when I finally got one the quality didn't seem great and it was awkward on my wrist.

Oris Frank Sinatra, I bought it in a sale for half price and was totally chuffed. It's a very beautiful elegant watch

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Linx
    Oris Frank Sinatra, I bought it in a sale for half price and was totally chuffed. It's a very beautiful elegant watch
    Would love to see some pictures of this one. Been tempted by one of these for years but I'm very undecided. Would be nice to see a wrist shot.

The marine original is really a beautiful watch. :twisted:

Orsa Monstrum, always wanted one, loved the looks with the domed crystal and an amazing caseback. Just to big for me although initially I really liked it and to cap it all I lost a higher percentage of readies than I can cope with ...... devastating :cry: :D

Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

Girard Perregaux Chrono for worse!

All the way from Argentina for 600 bucks - check the quality re-dial. The body re-grind with it's sharp edges wasn't too subtle either :-(

Master

For better:
    My Doxa Aquaman. The 'cheap' quartz one made for Eastern European markets. Really quality piece in my opinion and the PVD on mine is excellent. Had read negative stuff about it before buying, but really pleasantly surprised.
    Fortis Spacematic. Lovely watch, still sorry I sold it.

For worse:
    Omega X-33. Just soooooo ugly. Thought I'd warm to it but couldn't live with it at all.
    Bell & Ross BR03. Wanted one of these for a while, got it and really didn't like it. Had a very 'cheap' feel I think, which for a watch at that price was surprising.

Grand Master

For worse:

A 5513, I was unimpressed when I strapped it on, but I never got time to appreciate it, as I lost it a short while later ..
    A Seadweller, went to an AD with cash in my pocket for one, strapped it on & was so underwhelmed that I bought an SMP - felt like twice the watch for half the price.

For better:

Omega SMP, the watch that got me loving bracelets! The finish & quality made me an Omega fan, which resulted in me buying more SMP's & a Speedy ..
    Oris BC3, have owned all dial configurations & have been impressed at the finish & quality for the price.
    Seiko divers, unbeatable VFM ..
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Orsa Monstrum, always wanted one, loved the looks with the domed crystal and an amazing caseback. Just to big for me although initially I really liked it and to cap it all I lost a higher percentage of readies than I can cope with ...... devastating :cry: :D

Worked out OK for me though! ;) :lol:

/still love it

Master

For better:
    1) Seiko quartz diver SBC023thingy (why do they confuse everyone with such complicated model designations). I bought it about a month ago from Seiya, cost me £170 which many would say is way too much, BUT the quality of the thing is amazing for the money. Its to small for me though and my brother really liked it so its going to him as a Christmas present. Amazingly accurate as well, over the past month it is still on the same second as the B-1 and me G-shock atomic clock synching thingy. Would definitely buy another Seiko diver.
    2) Modern Breitlings. I have 3 at the moment but will be selling my Aerospace leaving a B-1 and a Steelfish GMT. So many ppl slag off Breitling with daft comments about quality (usually those that have never owned one it seems) but these 2 that I am keeping have both really knocked me back with the superb quality and attention to detail. Its especially evident around the dial and hands, accuracy of the bezel and feel of the crown.

For worse:
    Sinn EZM3. I have had plenty of different watches that I felt had a small design flaw or something about them that I just didn't like but the Sinn was a huge let down. Everyone on here raves about how good they are but for me its quality was no better then the SAR I have at the moment but the cost is now more in line with Swiss stuff, no chance. The only high quality part was the bracelet (SAR bracelet just as good though). Can't see me touching another Sinn which is a shame because I like the look of some of them.

Craftsman

Better:
    Not got a picture of the watch at the mo, but the watch that gave me the biggest surprise when i opened the box was the Invicta which i bought from the SC a few weeks ago for a very tidy £55. Considering the price i paid, i wasnt expecting the watch to be anywhere near as heavy/solid, and with such nice attention to detail as it turned out to be. Shame i bought it for my dad, i really fancy keeping it :)

Worse:
    Planet Ocean - i've hankered over one of these ever since they were released. So i finally tried one on yesterday and wow, what a disappointment :( it just didnt look or feel anywhere near as classy as the regular SMP. The strap was too narrow IMO and the dial looked...well.. cheap, i guess. Such a shame cos i'd loved these in pictures for such a long time - burst my bubble.

Grand Master

Better: Submariner LV, had everything i liked, green is my colour so the bezel was great and the maxi dial was a good addition, watch felt good on the wrist.

Worse: AP RO Offshore, tried one on, too big, too ugly and too showy for my liking.

Journeyman

lots of wonderful watches

Master

An addition to the better list is my Alpha Explorer, (1) because I found the size more acceptable than I expected and (2) because it really is a lot of watch for the cost of a decent strap.

This Enicar Jet Graph was for me one of those watches that takes you by total surprise. Having found a picture of one many years ago and thought it looked very nice and decided I wanted one. It took me a full year to acquire a NOS example as they are quite rare and while waiting for it to arrive I remember thinking that after expending so much time chasing the watch it might disappoint upon arrival. No fear It absolutely knocked me out, it is just a cracking beautifully balanced watch, nice detailed 40mm case with lovely chamfered lugs and side detailing with that 24 bezel, contrasting oversized sub-dials in a classic pilot layout and best of all powered by a modified Valjeux 72 manual wind movement (which was also fitted to the earlier Rolex Daytona's).

Quote Originally Posted by egyptfive
    This Enicar Jet Graph was for me one of those watches that takes you by total surprise. Having found a picture of one many years ago and thought it looked very nice and decided I wanted one. It took me a full year to acquire a NOS example as they are quite rare and while waiting for it to arrive I remember thinking that after expending so much time chasing the watch it might disappoint upon arrival. No fear It absolutely knocked me out, it is just a cracking beautifully balanced watch, nice detailed 40mm case with lovely chamfered lugs and side detailing with that 24 bezel, contrasting oversized sub-dials in a classic pilot layout and best of all powered by a modified Valjeux 72 manual wind movement (which was also fitted to the earlier Rolex Daytona's).

That is a beauty.

For me, the Glycine Incursore was a very pleasant suprise build quality wise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dogpuf
    The watch that genuinely surprised me with its quality, presence and sheer wearabilty is the Orient Star 300m Diver

+ 1 8)

Master

For better
    The Zinex Trimix- the looks, lume and heft of the thing...
    Seamaster Black Bond Quartz- same as the auto but in quartz and I got it for about a quarter iof the price of a new auto so cannot complain

For worse
    The Oris BC Chrono- just didn't have the presence or looks
    Rolex Submariner date- nice watch with a history and image second to none but just couldn't stick with the disappointing light and flimsey bracelet. Just expected so much more for the price

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    For worse:
    Sinn EZM3. I have had plenty of different watches that I felt had a small design flaw or something about them that I just didn't like but the Sinn was a huge let down. Everyone on here raves about how good they are but for me its quality was no better then the SAR I have at the moment but the cost is now more in line with Swiss stuff, no chance. The only high quality part was the bracelet (SAR bracelet just as good though). Can't see me touching another Sinn which is a shame because I like the look of some of them.
    Isn't that overlooking the things the Sinn has that the SAR etc doesn't have - dehumidyfying capsule, Ar fill, Sinn oil etc? Fair enough as it's your personal view and whether it's needed or not and whether its effective or not are other questions, but I think the EZM3 has enough features over a normal watch to make it stand out a little more than them. IMHO.

Master

Well, this arrived last week:

I always fancied in pictures, but in the metal, it's bloomin' amazing. I love the blue borders around the glossy lume 'pearls'. The hands use the same metallic blue. The dimpled face changes in different lighting to give countless different looks. I'm a sucker for a serial number plate too :)

I'd have to say it's my favourite posh sports watch - nicer, IMHO, than my Glashutte Sport Evo and Rolex Cermaic GMT

simon

Craftsman

for good:

Glycine Incursore (very elegant watch for a small budget, it has a movement similar to the one on Panerai)
    Fossil

for bad:
    my chinese Alpha watches (just a stupid waste of money, fortunately just few dozens of euro each)

For Good:

Grand Seiko GMT Springdrive. Just unbelievably awesome, beautifully crafted. £4k for a Seiko and even at that price it is a bl**dy bargain.

Stowa Marine Original. Terrific value for money

Breitling Superocean Steelfish. Excellent value for money pre-owned, dressy and yet toolish at the same time and very comfortable.

Rolex Milgauss. Lovely quality, looks great in the metal, huge leap in quality from the previous sports range (excluding GMTIIc and Deepsea of course)

Rolex ND Sub. Yep it feels cheap and is small, but it is so beautifully balanced and goes with anything. A true keeper.

For Bad:

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. Can't see where the money has gone. Twice the price of a Grand Seiko - are you having a laugh?!!?

Rolex Datejust. Just seems terribly overpriced compared to (for example the new Omega Aquaterra which spanks it). I was underwhelmed by mine.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gladders
    Well, this arrived last week:

I always fancied in pictures, but in the metal, it's bloomin' amazing. I love the blue borders around the glossy lume 'pearls'. The hands use the same metallic blue. The dimpled face changes in different lighting to give countless different looks. I'm a sucker for a serial number plate too :)

I'd have to say it's my favourite posh sports watch - nicer, IMHO, than my Glashutte Sport Evo and Rolex Cermaic GMT

simon
    Must say that has a certain something about it :-)

Journeyman

The Dievas Flieger - I have to confess that I first saw this watch on the web I had to have it, and panicked because it was a limited edition of only 50 and i thought it would sell out if I didn't get one quick (turns out it took a year to sell them all).

Anyway, it's a beautiful watch with a really nice soft suede-like strap (sorry, no photos, I'm at work!) The movement is an ETA 2452, which runs at about 18,000 bpm rather than the usual 28,800. Won't be flipping it, as I can't find a single thing to fault it.

I would agree there! I traded my 007 with Bubi for this and always enjoy wearing it. Looks good on the rubber and Di-Modell Tornadoe strap too. :)

Rod

Journeyman

For better--
    My Seiko SKX031. Most of us know this watch, and I knew it by photo but not in person until I bought one a while back.

I was stunned first of all by its accuracy--+1 a day without any regulation, out of the box :-0

And no less by its fit, finish, and robustness. I've got an SKX033, a Monster, a 009 and a 6309, all pretty accurate, but the 031 is ahead of the race as far as my Seiko divers go...

Master

I knew the SKX007 was a good watch, however didn't realise that it was this good. A true bargain...

Also think these Alpha mechanical chronos (homage I know but still) are quite the bargain, especially used ones that tend to hit the 50-70GPB area... still sold mine anyway :roll:

Actually, it was my Rolex GMT-Master ref.1675 from ca.1971 that wasn't what I expected it to be. Sold it quite quickly again. The plexy dial, the flimsy braceley and the matt dial were all just too 'old' for me, for an everyday watch.

RJ

Master

Easy one for me this :) :)

For worse :( My Sinn 656 :? Ordered it, looked forward to it arriving, and then was completely underwhelmed by it all.... I think it made me realise that at 47, I'd become predictable, boring and a bit of an old fart with no imagination

For Better :D :) My Corum Bubble bats :bounce: Because it made me realise that at 47, I'd become unpredictable, I did have a bit of an imagination, and I didn't have to be boring or follow the crowd... Love it 8)