closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Date

Journeyman

Omega Speedmaster Date

I happened to notice a fellow train passenger's watch this evening and I was going to post for advice on what it was. However a quick look on the Omega website shows that it was an Omega Speedmaster Date of some sort.

Now I happened to think it looked great, but I don't hear so much about them here. Everybody talks about the sapphire sandwich, or the 1969 original or whatever. Do the "date" versions not command as much respect?

Furthermore, the example I saw doesn't seem to be currently available. It had a black face, but the chrono hand was red, as was the hand for the sub dial at 12 and 6 o'clock. Finally instead of regular hour based batons, it had numbers in white text. Was this a limited edition does anybody know?

Cheers

James

Master

Re: Omega Speedmaster Date

The speedy date, doesn't seem to be that popular a choice for speedy fans.. It appears that the hand wound proffessional is the "must have"

In saying that, I quite like my blue date... gets quite a lot of wrist time, and is very acurate... Quite a nice sensible size too 8) 8) As you can tell I'm a fan :D

Craftsman

The Speedmaster date is a really great looking watch, however to small for me @ 40mm's..

I think the Pro attracts a lot of attention for the historical connection plus the more utilitarian design and interesting movement. Outside the WIS community, I see more non-Pro Speedys -- I like the Speedy Date design and at 40mm is a good size for me.

Perhaps a 3513.53?

I can't find any pictures to back this up, but didn't the Speedmaster Date (and Triple Date for that matter) used to have all white hands and hour markers like the Speedmaster Pro? This is as opposed to polished metal now...

Craftsman

I got a speedie pro a couple of months ago, and love it. Yes part of it is the historical value, but I think proportionally it is a perfect size and fit on my 7" wrist.
    A friend of mine has the reduced and that doesn't seem to fit my wrist as well, I also thought it wore a bit small. Make sure you try before you buy.

A friend of mine has this model. Triple date with 24 hour dial.

Possibly what you are referring to?

Cheers,
    Neil.

The Speedie date is a great watch. I think that a lot of people opt for the Pro for it's historic significance but then some opt for the auto's because they are more convenient. I have a Speedie Date and it is a great looking watch. It is really versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the strap choice....

On her bracelet she fits in most situations

Here she is made casual on a tan leather

Here she is dressed up on Black Croc strap

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Furthermore, the example I saw doesn't seem to be currently available. It had a black face, but the chrono hand was red, as was the hand for the sub dial at 12 and 6 o'clock. Finally instead of regular hour based batons, it had numbers in white text.
    LIke this one?

[quote:2yc5kc6h]
    Was this a limited edition does anybody know?
    [/quote:2yc5kc6h]
    Probably ;)

This one is from the late 90s. I don't know if it was an LE or not. Some people call it the Mk 40, others say it was for the Japanese market only. Others still say it had something to do with Michael Schumacher. It's quite a nice one - I prefer those hands to the regular Speedmaster, although I'm not keen on the dial pattern.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Furthermore, the example I saw doesn't seem to be currently available. It had a black face, but the chrono hand was red, as was the hand for the sub dial at 12 and 6 o'clock. Finally instead of regular hour based batons, it had numbers in white text.
    LIke this one?

[quote:ftr89o8v]
    Probably ;)

This one is from the late 90s. I don't know if it was an LE or not. Some people call it the Mk 40, others say it was for the Japanese market only. Others still say it had something to do with Michael Schumacher. It's quite a nice one - I prefer those hands to the regular Speedmaster, although I'm not keen on the dial pattern.[/quote:ftr89o8v]
    :bounce:

I really like that.. I think you can get the dial in white as well.. sure I have seen it on one of the watch dealers sites.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by pindero
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    LIke this one?

[quote:1szl03y3]
    Probably ;)

This one is from the late 90s. I don't know if it was an LE or not. Some people call it the Mk 40, others say it was for the Japanese market only. Others still say it had something to do with Michael Schumacher. It's quite a nice one - I prefer those hands to the regular Speedmaster, although I'm not keen on the dial pattern.
    :bounce:[/quote:1szl03y3]

Yep, that's the one. I really like it, but I suspect hard to find one second hand to complement my Speedy reduced. In fact I really like all the Speedmaster Dates that show on this thread so far. I am surprised they aren't more popular. I would have thought that the chrono functions were far more useful on a day to day basis than say, the helium escape valve on a Seamaster, but then we don't buy watches because we use their functions I guess.

There's a lovely one in the SC!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by dentaku
    Perhaps a 3513.53?
    That's the one - see above. Thanks for finding it.

The Speedmaster Date looks like a classic watch.
    The Speedmaster Pro is a classic watch.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    There's a lovely one in the SC!
    Oh really? I never noticed. It is a lovely one too! :wink:

Grand Master

Yep, that's the one. I really like it, but I suspect hard to find one second hand to complement my Speedy reduced. In fact I really like all the Speedmaster Dates that show on this thread so far. I am surprised they aren't more popular. I would have thought that the chrono functions were far more useful on a day to day basis than say, the helium escape valve on a Seamaster, but then we don't buy watches because we use their functions I guess.
    Perversely that explains the popularity of the Pro - it may have a delicate crystal that picks up all sorts of rash, no WR, a slow beat, no automatic winding or a date, but it's a classic watch, a horological icon, and don't you forget it :twisted:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The 3210.51.00 is the best looking of the current Speedmaster Dates IMO...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe

I have one of these much under-rated speedy dates and that tan strap looks really nice! What is it and where can I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by cbalmforth
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe

I have one of these much under-rated speedy dates and that tan strap looks really nice! What is it and where can I get one?
    The strap you see there is an ostrich skin strap which is of great quality. I bought it on flea-bay for £24. I thought it was worth a punt and I have been more than happy with it. I'd not used the seller before but the transaction went smoothly with no problems. I'd get another if I wanted another colour or something.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quality-leather-w ... 3007wt_941

I thought for £24 for an ostrich strap it was worth a gamble.