closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top gear new series

Top gear new series

New series of Top Gear tonight. Mentioned it at work and got a lot of, "oh you don't watch that crap do you". What's the betting that when I mention it tomorrow those same people would have watched it anyway. I know its silly and the challenges take up more time than reviews but it's Sunday night and it's that or the that Jungle thingy with Ant or Dec.

Banned

Re: Top gear new series

i watch it i like it its very entertaining ..i,ll even watch repeats on dave ja vu maybe i,m a sad b.....d though :( :)

Its because of choices like that I havent had a telly for years. If I need my fix for something I use the iplayer.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Excellent news. That's come round quicker than it normally seems.

Most telly is crap one way or another, but petrolhead crap is very acceptable to me especially with large doses of childish humour.

TG may not be quite as good as it was, but it still outshines most other programmes IMO.

I like Top Gear - very entertaining and sometimes very funny

I wish there was something of this quality for Motorbikes - It might breakdown commonly held misconceptions

Master

I love the challenges, some of them are bloody funny - Crossing the channel, buy a Lancia for a grand, drop top espace etc.

Master

I really want to like Top Gear but, all the while Clarkson and Hammond are presenting I refuse to watch it. Aside from Kerry Katona and Jordan I can't think of two more irritating individuals.

Real shame as the format looks quite good.

Although just a light entertainment programme, Clarkson talk a load of old cobblers much of the time (for effect) & Hammond can be a tad sycophantic it's still worth watching IMHO.

My 8 year old lad loves it & I like watching together with him.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have to jump on the band wagon and say that I Love Top Gear, but outwith the show I do think Clarkson is a cock with some of his viewpoints

Now the real question is James May just a gentleman or is he gay ?

A good video .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhZnM...layer_embedded
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Cheers for the warning!

I watch it just for James May, i think he's friggin hilarious. Oh, and i suppose shouting at the state of Hammond's hair/dress lets me relieve some steam on a Sunday night :lol:

BTW the show needs a woman presenter! :D

I used to love TG , still watch it even though it has descended into some sort of overly scripted light entertainment show.
    Personality wise, I can't stand clarkson, he just seems like one of those overpaid media buffoons ( cf jonathan ross, chris moyles etc etc ). I just don't see where the value is in paying these presenters so much, their remuneration in terms of their contribution just seems so horribly out of kilter when compared to the wages of your average nurse or squaddie...but I digress.
    Hammond to me seems like a permanently startled rabbit in the headlights. James May I find the most interesting of the 3 , but I think we have seen all he is capable of in his recent series.
    Having said all that , I do like the challenges . Where else can you watch someone drive cross the English channel in a Toyota pick up? The vietnamese challenge was brilliant viewing as well imho . Love the 'star in a reasonably priced car' feature, it is really surprising who comes up with the goods ( could anyone have thought Jimmy Carr was so fast ?) , and the behaviour of the celebs on the track and in the studio gives a bit of an insight into what they are really like as people.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    New series of Top Gear tonight. Mentioned it at work and got a lot of, "oh you don't watch that crap do you". What's the betting that when I mention it tomorrow those same people would have watched it anyway. I know its silly and the challenges take up more time than reviews but it's Sunday night and it's that or the that Jungle thingy with Ant or Dec.
    "oh you don't watch that crap do you" :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    Its because of choices like that I havent had a telly for years. If I need my fix for something I use the iplayer.
    Ditto! Got rid of mine many years ago 'cos it was just sat in the corner gathering dust. And I thought I was the only person in the world without a TV...

Craftsman

Thanks Gunslinger
    We will get the popcorn out and chuckle as a family.
    Scouter

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i have to say i like it but, i laugh at farts as well so................... :lol:

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

I'm sure it will probably clash with mrs edhughes1's X Factor or Celebrity Jungle thing. :roll:

Thank goodness for recording devices.

I watch it but wish they'd take more stuff seriously. James May is the best presenter but much better in his current TV series and the ones he did with Oz Clarke. The BBC has a huge budget for TG but the show comes across as aimed at 15 year olds. With the audience the show has it could be used as a platform for much more serious stuff.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Personality wise, I can't stand clarkson, he just seems like one of those overpaid media buffoons ( cf jonathan ross, chris moyles etc etc ). I just don't see where the value is in paying these presenters so much, their remuneration in terms of their contribution just seems so horribly out of kilter when compared to the wages of your average nurse or squaddie...but I digress.
    Don't be fooled by Clarksons demeanor, he's a very very clever chap and he transformed Top Gear into the roaring success (and huge huge earner) that it is for the BBC. His "value" is obvious.

Comparing his wages with an average nurse is a tad bizarre. He's at the very top of his game, try comparing his income with someone at the very top of the medical world.

Blog Entries

tonight's episode looks a good un http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p1lgb

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Don't be fooled by Clarksons demeanor, he's a very very clever chap and he transformed Top Gear into the roaring success (and huge huge earner) that it is for the BBC. His "value" is obvious.

Comparing his wages with an average nurse is a tad bizarre. He's at the very top of his game, try comparing his income with someone at the very top of the medical world.
    I don't know what clarkson earns but Ross gets a reported 6 million, who in the armed forces for example gets anywhere near that?
    im not doubting clarkson and moyles etc are clever, but just their value to society as a whole and the level of appropriate remuneration for the actual tasks they carry out.
    AFAIK the BBC is considered public and not a private sector enterprise isn't it? so who in the NHS is getting anywhere near to that figure? and i'm talking about actual practitioners please, not managers..

Master

I will agree with you about Jonathon Ross! :lol:

but Clarkson earns every penny in my opinion, no one else manages to get so much information over in such an engaging and humourous way. And as I say, massive earner for the BBC.

if you read his book "I know you've got soul" you'll understand even more what I mean (recommend it to anyone interested in "boy stuff").

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Know-You-Got- ... =1-2-fkmr2

A Ferrari F40 has it, a Lexus hasn't. Concorde's got it, but not an Airbus. And while Titanic had it in spades, the Queen Mary 2 must have been in the wrong queue. Soul. Some machines matter to us while others are, well, just machines. In his own inimitable way, Jeremy Clarkson tells the gripping stories of the planes, trains and automobiles that inspire us; and of the geniuses and visionaries that built them. Lavishly illustrated, I Know You Got Soul is the perfect Christmas present for boys of all ages.

Top Gear has huge ratings in the UK and is shown in over 100 countries. The magazine does incredibly well on the back of Clarkson and the TV show. All this brings in huge amounts of money for the BBC, in fees from licensing the TV show, magazine (to something like 25 countries, even at £2k per month per issue that's £50k per month for very little outlay) and associated products like books, DVDs, Stig merchandise and so on. I don't see a problem in what the BBC pays Clarkson, or for that matter what the Sunday Times chucks him every week.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    I will agree with you about Jonathon Ross! :lol:

but Clarkson earns every penny in my opinion, no one else manages to get so much information over in such an engaging and humourous way. And as I say, massive earner for the BBC.

if you read his book "I know you've got soul" you'll understand even more what I mean (recommend it to anyone interested in "boy stuff").

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Know-You-Got- ... =1-2-fkmr2

A Ferrari F40 has it, a Lexus hasn't. Concorde's got it, but not an Airbus. And while Titanic had it in spades, the Queen Mary 2 must have been in the wrong queue. Soul. Some machines matter to us while others are, well, just machines. In his own inimitable way, Jeremy Clarkson tells the gripping stories of the planes, trains and automobiles that inspire us; and of the geniuses and visionaries that built them. Lavishly illustrated, I Know You Got Soul is the perfect Christmas present for boys of all ages.
    sorry ari, maybe its just a matter of personal taste. in terms of presentation, the stuff may be well written, but the attitude i find boorish. stylistically he's just ploughing the same groove and becoming a caricature of himself. listening to him reminds me of a mutant crossbreed between victor meldrew and obelix. i''ll leave you with this quote which I am fairly sure won't bring jezzer many new fans on this forum.

".....the only thing in the world worse than a fake Rolex is a real one. Have you noticed something odd about Rolexes? Especially the modern ones that wind automatically when you move your wrist about? A great many owners wear them on their right hand. I jump to no conclusions here but you can feel free."

I fully well intend to watch it too.

I'm attempting to pack the contents of the house, on my own, moving in next 2 weeks. I dont have a job to go to yet. My Mums just had major surgery, and I need to go and help her, a 3 hour drive away. My partner and son are over 300 miles away, at our moving destination, badgering me about what to do and when. I'd tear my hair out if had any!

So whats wrong with a bit of diversionary, not to be taken seriously, light entertainment?

Master

Top Gear.....hurray

"aimed at 15 yr olds".......AND?

Clarkson for PM, Range Rovers all round, Smoke where you like....

(foxes are cute) so Lets all hunt vegetarians in cities.....

And stick you Political Correctness views up your Arrrrts..... :lol:

Master

I am sure I will watch it.

I am also sure I will shout at the telly at least once.

I am also sure that afterwards I will question why I wasted 1/2 an hour watching that crap.

Process repeated at the same time next week :lol: .

Master

sorry ari, maybe its just a matter of personal taste. in terms of presentation, the stuff may be well written, but the attitude i find boorish. stylistically he's just ploughing the same groove and becoming a caricature of himself. listening to him reminds me of a mutant crossbreed between victor meldrew and obelix. i''ll leave you with this quote which I am fairly sure won't bring jezzer many new fans on this forum.

".....the only thing in the world worse than a fake Rolex is a real one. Have you noticed something odd about Rolexes? Especially the modern ones that wind automatically when you move your wrist about? A great many owners wear them on their right hand. I jump to no conclusions here but you can feel free."
    Clarkson knows his audience. So yes it's dumbed down a bit, but that's because he's (rightly) well aware that so are 80% of the viewers.

As to his opinion on Rolex wearers (and speaking as one myself), so that man has an opinion. I have a similar one about offroad 4x4 owners that use their vehicles as cars. Of which (I believe) he is one. He's as entitled to his opinion as I am mine.

Be a dull old world if no one was allowed to voice a negative opinion wouldn't it? And at least he does so in a humorous way.

I'm looking forward to it although I can't understand why they've moved it to 9pm - surely it's not because they're scared of losing viewing figures to that high trousered twat on ITV?

Master

It'll be interesting to see if if stays post 9pm.

I wonder whether they're going to be playing to a post watershed audience, although I think it'll be a shame if they do as it's the "appeals to all ages" thing that is their strongest card.

Maybe pitching it up against Ant & Dec...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

I also watch it for light entertainment (and shouldn't some watching be just that?)

Master

Look forward to it, its one of the most entertaining programmes on telly

Will be watching for sure.
    It is now being shown on BBC HD as well :D

I'll be watching, it's good entertainment :)

I have to say I've been rather enjoying most of what James May does as a presenter on his own, though, although in a very different way to Top Gear.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Looking forward to it, I was getting bored of the re-runs on Dave.

Great Top Gear is back. And so will all the 'What was Clarkson wearing on his wrist' threads that appear after every episode.

I'll have to catch it on the iPlayer as the in-laws are coming round this eve.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Great Top Gear is back. And so will all the 'What was Clarkson wearing on his wrist' threads that appear after every episode.
    Let's pre-empt that now, it was a Railmaster :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    I have to jump on the band wagon and say that I Love Top Gear, but outwith the show I do think Clarkson is a cock with some of his viewpoints

Now the real question is James May just a gentleman or is he gay ?

He's a gent apparently....

http://www.enginelounge.com/2009/09/...madison-welch/

Agree with your opinion of TG and the comparison of JC and a penis.

Cheers,

Deryck

Well, i thoroughly enjoyed tonight's show !! :P

Master

An absolute classic to start the series off. Good as ever.

Shame they saw fit to crunch the Sandero though, but I suppose it appeals to the base element of society.

Racing the cars under the palace was awesome though! :shock: 8)

Master

It was really good entertainment. I guess when they want to do a piece in these countries, the country itself will let them do just about anything as long as the place in shown in a good light. In this I think it was a result for the country in question, a place I wouldn't have considered going to but that mountain scenery was stunning.

There is at least one Romanian who can fly a chopper...
    And one cameraman with steel balls :shock:
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

I can't stand clarkson, he just seems like one of those overpaid media buffoons ( cf jonathan ross, chris moyles etc etc ). I just don't see where the value is in paying these presenters so much,
    I very much doubt that Top Gear would have been re-commissioned without Clarkson. And since TG is sold to many many countries around the World I'd imagine he brings in an enormous amount of funding. Therefore his pay in relation to this is very modest. The other guys you mention...

[edit] Just read page 2 of this thread!

Personally I love TG and think Clarkson is great even if a bit of a cock. You can't stand him, excellent! That's much better than 90% of the utter dross on TV which garners no reaction at all. TG is not bland, I think we'd all agree on that. :wink:

Jesus :shock:

I almost never watch TV so not in a great position to comment but I eventually get to see some of these on like Dave or whatever. They're mildly diverting, but to be honest if the cat is licking its arse it's a more compelling proposition.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve264
    They're mildly diverting, but to be honest if the cat is licking its arse it's a more compelling proposition.
    :shock: Takes all sorts I guess, but that would be fairly niche programming :wink:

I enjoyed the first episode very much - apart from the juvenile Sandero crunching part.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Hammond looks like he is turning into a woman. His hair is a Drag queens dream come true.

Pure quality and I say that as someone who doesn't watch any mainstream dross, bbc4 is my usual channel of choice 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

I thought that was a cracking episode.

I was stunned by the scale of Ceaucescu's palace. No wonder he was so unpopular.

The pace of the big Merc and BWM was awesome. They didn't comment, but the BWM was only 0.2 seconds slower round the track than a 911 Turbo!

Master

But in fairness the 911 was on a "wet" lap..........

It was very good last night, that said, my wife used to love and is going off it now as she says there are too mant challenges :shock: :lol: is she mad?? wait. I know the answer to that question :D

Paul

Strange that Paul, my wife loves TG too, it must be one of the only motoring programmes that attracts a large female audience. I watch 5th gear too but the missus is not remotely interesting, despite them nicking most of TG's format.

Thoroughly enjoyed last night's installment :thumbleft:.

Cheers,

Gary