closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show me your favourite Lemania!

Apprentice

Show me your favourite Lemania!

Lemania is most wellknown for being a producer of high quality movements, especially for chronographs. Since they also were good at making simple (relatively) durable and reliable movements, with smart solutions, they were often chosen as supplier of military watches.

In the good old days they also produced a lot of very nice wristwatches for daily wear of ordinary people. Especially the 40ies and 50ies meant to Lemania decades of production of watches with beautiful design.

One of my favourites is this NOS-conditioned Lemania with rapid setting of date, from the late 40ies. I acquired it at a watchcollectors fair a couple of years ago, and I was quite happy to be able to add such an interesting and beautiful watch, in such an outstanding condition, to the collection!

Please show me what you have hidden of Lemania vintage watches in the cupboards!

Master

Re: Show me your favourite Lemania!

I can show you my ONLY Lemania :wink:

Apprentice

Scarface!

It certainly suits a General! :)

How many wars has it experienced? :D

I hope that you´ll keep it in that condition, and will not consider a redial, since the heart and soul of it then will be gone for ever!

Master

I intend to keep it that way, because as you say, patina shows the character of the watch and makes it unique. It also has to remain in my collection because it was a gift.

Pictures of back and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Galea
    I can show you my ONLY Lemania :wink:

whats all that green stuff?

A few of the Lemania-powered watches I own or used to own - :(

Master

[/quote]

Wow - SA AF Lemania - the best Lemania ever made IMO - Looks to beat any other mil watch, even better looking than the Rolex mil sub, do you still have it?

Apprentice

SAAF Lemania

Yes, that SAAF Lemania automatic watch is on my shortlist, my most wanted Lemania wristwatch presently.

It went a very good one on eBay pretty recently, and despite a agressive bid (in my eyes) of USD 2700 I didn´t get it! :shock:

The credit crunch/ slow business cycle don´t seem to have impacted the price on military watches. They seem to be hotter than ever!

1950's Lemania TG 195 Swedish Air Force;

and Lemania SAAF;

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

here's another one, Air Ministry issued.

There's a lovely SAAF Lemania on the SC now - great watch at a good price!
    (I'm not associated to the seller - just wanted to flag it up with anyone interested)

TTPS

Apprentice

SAAF Lemania on SC

You need 50 postings to access SC, but I´m enclosing.. :D

So far only military Lemanias shown. I wonder if they are the brand with the largest production of military watches?? By that I mean up to the 70ies. Anyone that can think of another large military watch producer? SEIKO?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

can I cheat and propose a 60s Heuer? The black one with two chrono dials. Someone will now go and tell me it's a Valjoux....

Master

Omega. Supplied several militaries, including, for e.g. the UK, US, Peru, Afghan mil. in the 60's, and so forth.

Seiko a v. significant producer, too.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Watchseeker

whats all that green stuff?
    Presumably damage from ingress of water sometime in the past.

My only Lemania-branded Lemania

Though I used to have this one too

I have an had a few more with Lemania under the dial

:lol:

Dave

Craftsman

The swe-mil Viggen-Lemania....

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by salmonia
    The swe-mil Viggen-Lemania....

That's a cracking looking watch :) :)

What's the background to this model?

I have absolutely zero knowledge about Lemania watches and intend googling around to try to educate myself.

In my uneducated opinion however, all of the models pictured in this thread look great!
    Classic lines, with form, and function clearly at the forefront of the designers brief.

Apprentice

[quote="sweets"]My only Lemania-branded Lemania

Wow, that is a beauty! :) Lemania´s answer to the Omega Flightmaster?

I was hoping that someone should throw in a Lemania Alarm, and maybe also a Lemania divers watch (if there is any??)

Meanwhile waiting for that; here´s another successful joint venture when it comes to design and functionality!

Here's mine,
    Chrono diver

Andy

The only Lemania branded watch I've ever owned, sold a while back.

Although I've got a few Omegas housing Lemania movements.

Cheers,

Gary

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Foztex
    Here's mine,

Andy
    It was worthwhile starting this thread just to get to see that one! :)

A wonderful watch! I wish I too will come across one of them some day! :drunken:

I have to say I find this one really quite interesting

I have never seen another one, although I recall a watch very similar, possibly this one, being sold on E-Bay Italy a while back in March 2008 or so. The slight offset of the chrono-hands and the date alignment would indicate it is the same watch.

It is the only Lemania-badged watch I have ever seen that uses the Orfina Porsche Design Handset - notable by the skinny stick hands for hours and minutes, non-tapering chrono-seconds hand plus the very distinctive triangle-ended chrono-minutes hand. Other than a very celebrated Heuer presented on the Vetroplastica forum (which divided opinions a lot), I have only ever seen these hands on a PD.

The black centre on the constant seconds is an interesting detail too on a blue-dialled watch, and it is a detail that is curiously missing from the 12-hr subdial hand.

The case is unique, never seen anything else using it, which is fascinating in itself.

Lemania 5100s are kind of my thing really, and I have owned over 20 and have photos of over 70 different branded models using the movement over the last 4 years or so. This one is a first for me, which is a rare thing these days. I hope you understand my interest.

I have certainly seen this dial before, used in a Lemania that was cased in a later-style automatic Heuer Carrera case (though non-PVD).

Can you tell me any more about the history of this watch, I have to say I am very interested in it?

Thanks

BTW, LOOOOOOOOVE the SwAF Lemania - pure functional genius.

And my one is actually housed in a Sinn 140 case, so flightmaster-like, but also Sinn-ful.

Lastly, the really rare diver is the Lemania Benthos

Here is a photo - wish the watch was mine!

Photo Nalu's - exactly as it says in the photo.

Dave

Journeyman

Re: favourite Lemania! Nuclear sub/white dial/non luminous

Cheers… Joel M

I only have just the one Lemania...

Regards

Jon'.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    I have to say I find this one really quite interesting

I have never seen another one, although I recall a watch very similar, possibly this one, being sold on E-Bay Italy a while back in March 2008 or so. The slight offset of the chrono-hands and the date alignment would indicate it is the same watch.

It is the only Lemania-badged watch I have ever seen that uses the Orfina Porsche Design Handset - notable by the skinny stick hands for hours and minutes, non-tapering chrono-seconds hand plus the very distinctive triangle-ended chrono-minutes hand. Other than a very celebrated Heuer presented on the Vetroplastica forum (which divided opinions a lot), I have only ever seen these hands on a PD.

The black centre on the constant seconds is an interesting detail too on a blue-dialled watch, and it is a detail that is curiously missing from the 12-hr subdial hand.

The case is unique, never seen anything else using it, which is fascinating in itself.

Lemania 5100s are kind of my thing really, and I have owned over 20 and have photos of over 70 different branded models using the movement over the last 4 years or so. This one is a first for me, which is a rare thing these days. I hope you understand my interest.

I have certainly seen this dial before, used in a Lemania that was cased in a later-style automatic Heuer Carrera case (though non-PVD).

Can you tell me any more about the history of this watch, I have to say I am very interested in it?

Thanks

Dave
    Thanks for the insight Dave,

I bought it from a well known Swiss ebay seller in April 2008, I think I paid a bit over the odds but it was a must have thing. I am afraid as far as history is concerned it appears you know more than me. It was advertised as a 5100, I've not had the back off so cannot confirm that. The back is press fit and marked waterproof and the crown screwdown.
    the case is a wisker under 40mm and it is 18mm thick, petite but chunky. Good unidirectional bezel action and 18mm lugs and that is all I know. I got it as we were finishing the 120c DeskDivers article as we wanted a Lemania movement pic, I stuffed up really as it was a 1340 we needed and Jon managed to pic one up just afterwards which we used for the article. I must say I do love this watch, wear it often and have it on a black Isofrane.

A couple more pics to give you the idea.

cheers

Andy

WOW! What a superb thread! Thanks for starting this, some serious beauties in here. :)

ive had lots and lots of Lemanias over the years but very few with Lemania on the dial. I loved Foz's Chrono and have worn it with pride for a little while, talk about rare, youd never see anyone else with one.

The one that does interest me is the Lemania Benthos models... Has anyone ever had the back off one? The reason I ask is that these watches use an AS cal like the 2162 with a modification, and I wonder if that mod was done by Lemania as im not convinced they would have used another Lemania cal to these just for a small run. Can anyone who knows let me know as I am working on the text for an article on the Benthos models for DeskDivers for next year and want to include this.

so to keep the thread going... under this dial is not a Lemania...

but under this one there is :)

as is this:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    The only Lemania branded watch I've ever owned, sold a while back.

Although I've got a few Omegas housing Lemania movements.

Cheers,

Gary
    and still residing in my watch box.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE...
    and still residing in my watch box.

Mike
    Glad you're still enjoying it Mike, I hope it gets worn on a regular basis. The lack of wrist time in my ownership was the main reason I decided to pass it on.

Cheers,

Gary

Craftsman

As you asked for a Lemania alarm here is a picture of one of mine - I also have a gold version with a gold face

Dave Charlton[attachment=0:ye8wi8mx]Lemania alarm.jpg[/attachment:ye8wi8mx]

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dave.charlton
    As you asked for a Lemania alarm here is a picture of one of mine - I also have a gold version with a gold face

Dave Charlton[attachment=0:fqxtqt0o]Lemania alarm.jpg[/attachment:fqxtqt0o]
    That one is GORGEOUS! The Lemania s/s alarm model is on my shortlist too, but since it took me 2 years before I managed to acquire the Omega Memomatic that I wanted, I wonder how long I´ll have to wait before the Lemania cousin shows up??? :shock:

Luckily patience is one of my better characteristics (not :wink: ), so I can wait as long as to next weekend...

Great first post BTW, keep them coming!

Craftsman

Thanks

Here is a pic of one of my gold ones - not as nice as the blue but still very clean.[attachment=0:3biej0cy]Lemaniagoldalarm.jpg (Small).jpg[/attachment:3biej0cy]

Craftsman

hope this pic is a bit clearer - just learning how to post better quality pictures[attachment=0:nq7rm8wx]Lemaniagoldalarm.jpg[/attachment:nq7rm8wx]

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat
    can I cheat and propose a 60s Heuer? The black one with two chrono dials. Someone will now go and tell me it's a Valjoux....
    Valjoux indeed I'm afraid...Heuer didn't use Lemania until the 80's.

Lot's of great stuff already posted. Here's one of mine - not for the wrist though:

It's got a Lemania Rattrapante movement.

auricoste type 20 with lemania flyback 15TL (sorry for the bad picture)

Apprentice

Lemania Military

I just have to make this follow-up on this thread;

The Lemania chrono diver Andy is showing above made me very inspired, even if I had very little hope to come close such a Lemania as his, at leat in any near time.

By pure coincidence I run into the following; a Lemania cal5100 chrono auctioned in Sweden. Labeled "Military" and described as a pilots watch.

This time I was lucky in the bidding, and I managed to get it at a price similar to what a Tg 195 fetches!

Now I´m eagerly awaiting this very nice addition to the collection to arrive, but I can already tell from the photo that it´s a very nice and interesting speciemen! :)

Re: Lemania Military

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass
    I just have to make this follow-up on this thread;

The Lemania chrono diver Andy is showing above made me very inspired, even if I had very little hope to come close such a Lemania as his, at leat in any near time.

By pure coincidence I run into the following; a Lemania cal5100 chrono auctioned in Sweden. Labeled "Military" and described as a pilots watch.

This time I was lucky in the bidding, and I managed to get it at a price similar to what a Tg 195 fetches!

Now I´m eagerly awaiting this very nice addition to the collection to arrive, but I can already tell from the photo that it´s a very nice and interesting speciemen! :)

Oh fantastic man,

what a catch. It even has the 24hr dial which if i was being really critical is what I would say is the only fault (being missing) on mine. This is really interesting, I would love to find out more about these, they are terribly well made and beautifully proportioned. When yours arrives we must have calliper sessions and compare notes regarding dimensions, it certainly looks very similar if not identically cased.

well done mate, if it's the same case as mine don't get obsessed by the fact it looks small. check the girth :D

Andy

a well knon one!

My Sinn EZM1 (Mission Timer 1)

When you think what they've stripped out of the movement it's a pretty focussed application!

My one and only, and no-one's shown this one yet.

I love the issued chronos, still haven't got one for my RAF mil collection.