closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Re: Let's see your guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    SG 2000 eh? I remember Santana playing one of those in the late 70's I think and a bloke in the Undertones from your neck of the woods.

What is the signature on your Tele scratch plate? Van Morrison, another NI bloke?

Nice collection.

Im not sure about the undertones but Jake Burns from SLF played one for a long time - cracking guitars but they are real back breakers.

Aye the sig is Van Morrison, the Les Paul scratch plate is signed by him as well but i don't really scratch plates on LP's.

Quote Originally Posted by tredders
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy
    I don't have many pics but here are a few of mine :)

This old girl is a '72
    Is that '72 Precision refinished? Or is it all original? It's bloody gorgeous...

Mark.

Neck was refinished but i left the headstock original

Kent Armstrong refurbished the original pickups on that one.

Lawrence, is the Jumbo acoustic a Taylor?? (looks it from the headstock shape!)

it looks very nice whatever it is 8) 8) 8)

John :P

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz
    Lawrence, is the Jumbo acoustic a Taylor?? (looks it from the headstock shape!)

it looks very nice whatever it is 8) 8) 8)

Hi John,
    Basically it's an unbranded Lowden
    I bought it through a shop but a year or so later i met the maker and he told me the story.
    He is a local guy who only made 3 or 4 of them before he got caught :lol:
    He used to work at the Lowden factory and basically he had started to bring his work home with him and finished them in his home workshop :roll:

Master

It's been refinshed, it's was in bit's when i go it - someone had painted it matt black and painted th escratch plate white - took about 2 days work just to get the scratch plate refurbished but it's original so it was worth the effort.
    I left the headstock alone and the hardware is all original except the pickup cover

Kent Armstrong refurbished the original pickups on that one.
    It's an absolute beauty... I still struggle to get my head around that (thankfully brief) trend in the early/mid 70's for painting Precisions black.... I've seen a few in that state which have taken a lot of hard work to restore. One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" stupid ideas, I guess! And Mr Armstrong himself refurbed the pickups? That's a bit like Enzo servicing your Ferrari 8)

Looks like all of your hardwork paid off though, judging by your pics. Do you gig it?

Quote Originally Posted by tredders
    And Mr Armstrong himself refurbed the pickups? That's a bit like Enzo servicing your Ferrari 8)

Looks like all of your hardwork paid off though, judging by your pics. Do you gig it?
    Aye the guy who built my acoustic knew him and sent the pickups away for the refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco
    Cool Pic :)

do they all have a different sound/tone or is it just another type of "collection disease"?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain
    Here are most of my Les Pauls

Just missing the most recent arrival, an Epi Japan LP Junior..........
    and the acoustics
    and the Iceman bass
    and the Steinberger cricket bat thing
    But they don't really count cos they're not Les Pauls :)
    Cheers. I guess they're pretty much of a muchness in terms of sound to my unsophisticated ears. There is a bit of difference between them, but that mostly seems to be down to the pickups for me. (I've had various configs of pups in and out of a most of these and to my ears most of the difference is in the pup and the pup height) There are some really subtle changes in terms of sustain and the like that I can convince myself I can hear if I try hard, but there are so many variables (and my playing is so loose :)) that I tend not to get too anal about all that. Basically they all sound and play like a Les Paul should, I've tried plenty of other guitars and I just always come back to LPs, love 'em, anything else just feels wrong for me.
    That said they all do 'feel' quite different. Mostly neck shape, body weight / balance and frets / fretboard I reckon. I'm fairly sure I could ID most of them in a 'pepsi challenge - taste test' kinda way if I was playing them. But by ear alone I'd probably do well to pick more than a couple out!

So, in short, yes it is probably just another collection compulsion type thing. OK, I admit, I'm something of an addict, I like 'stuff', and I think my watch and guitar collection probably indicates that I appreciate a certain level of quality, but after I reach that level of quality I'd rather have a greater quantity / choice at that level than 'trade up' to a single higher quality option. I have enough £1-2k watches to trade them all in for a Daytona or a Royal Oak Offshore or whatever, but I prefer the option to choose to wear the Seawolf, or the Seamaster, or the Flightmaster, or the Carlos Coste etc. Same with guitars, I could trade a few of those and treat myself to a Gibson Custom Shop LP, but I prefer to have to think 'which two LPs shall I take today?' when I leave the house for band practice or a gig. But then I think a big part of the reason for my 'collections' (of anything and everything) is that I'm just not very good at parting with things! I'd much rather keep a guitar I hardly ever play than trade it in for half what I paid for it. Guess I'm just a hoarder :)

Master

To be honest i always liked finding them and then working on them as much if not more than playing them.

IIRC i paid £25 for this one :lol:
    Well, in that case, I could probably offer you £26.50 for this :lol:

I just remembered about this thread so i thought i'd give it a bump seeing as i have added a few more to the collection, no pics yet of my wee Gibson Les Paul Junior or a USA Stratocaster but here's a couple of quick and dirty shots of the latest, flamed maple ES335
    :D

and a '52 USA reissue 8)

i have now changed to the original style bridge

Two beauties there. :)

I love 335's anyway and that Tele looks gorgeous in it's period type tweed case.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Some top notch gear in this thread...

Currently I'm at bare bones;

Squier CV 50's Strat. Brilliant guitar for the money.

Have to decide whether to spend future spare income on guitars or watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    a very odd SG: small pick guard, dot inlays rather than flares, no binding down the neck and a large surface mounted Bigsby rather than the long type that anchored at the strap post. From '69. Never seen another like it. Should never have let it go.
    Sounds like an SG Special. Something like this? http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Gib...nal%201972.jpg
    No. More like the '86: http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Gibson ... %20Red.jpg

Same pick guard. Same bridge. Same pickup surrounds. Wang bar from the pro, though. No binding on the neck and no engraving on the truss rod cover plate. Dot inlays like the pro. Bakelite/plastic machine heads. Serial number was definitely '69. Weird.

I'll have to get some pictures together, but the collection is ....

Fender 1971 hardtail Strat (4 bolt neck)
    Fender 1989 USA Standard Strat
    Fender 1991 USA Standard Plus Strat
    Fender 50th Aniv Strat (flamed maple top :D )
    Fender Custom Shop Strat
    Fender '68 bound edge reissue Tele

Gibson Flying V
    Gibson Les Paul Standard DC with AAA top

Godin A6 Accousticaster
    Simon and Patrick Accoustic

Plus a couple of nylon strung classicals

Hmm

Basses:
    Yamaha BBN2-5 (5 string bass)
    OLP MM2 with seymor duncan pickups/preamp (4 string bass)
    SX acoustic bass guitar, an el cheapo Chinese acoustic bass - with Fishman eletronics

Guitars
    Yamaha SJ-112, a yamaha strat basically
    Yamaha SJ-120, a yamaha tele basically
    Yamaha AXP-5, electric acoustic
    Yamaha AXP-3, electric acoustic

Out of all these the BBN2-5 and the SJ-120 get 99% of the use.

Ahh i forgot Yamaha, im sure i still have a battered SG2000 somewhere

Just 2 from me. A 1987 USA Strat (sorry.. no pic and, well, I'm comfy on the couch right now :lol: ) and this, an Ibanez JS1200CA, signed by the great man himself, Mr Joe Satriani:

i'm gonna show you some pics, but it'll have to wait till im back in the country, it will be worth it tho....

get ready

OK

here's my gibson's

my prs's

my US fenders, but not all of them..

oh and my shockingly camp Ibanez's, i didnt do anymore as thats showing off!!

Multi-instrumentalist, so kinda like a football utility player, crap in lots of positions.

Basses - Steinberger XL-2 fretted, Pre-Gibson Newburgh-era. A grail and design classic. 2009 MusicMan Stingray fretless, natural ash, lined Pau ferro board. Lovely, bags of mwah, and is super comfy to play, so much so that I'm toying with flipping the Steiny for a fretted 'Ray as it has a much more narrow clubby Jazz-type neck than the 'Ray.

Guitar - Fender Baja Tele - natural ash. Also the dogs, had Tele's of various descriptions in my collection since mid 80s when I started playing, this is possibly the best in terms of bang for the buck/versatility, although I miss my old Squier JV Butterscotch '52.

Acoustic - Takamine 'Naturals' EN-40C Jumbo cutaway. Well loved, and my main gigging/recording guitar for a few years back in the late 90s. Don't play it too much now as its too prone to getting damaged by my two toddlers (they can't do that with the Steiny.....), but kept on in its case for my son to learn on when he's older.

Craftsman

PRS SE Singlecut. Shes called Winona.

Seagull 12 string
    Alvarez Yairi MMY1
    Yamaha APX-5
    USA made PRS-22 CE
    Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (wit it's guts ripped out... completely redoing it's internals: will get Seymour Duncan P-Rails, Varitone, 6-way rotary element switch....)
    Gibson ES 137

Gear:
    TC-Electronics G-Major
    2x Johnson JM-150
    Charlie Dadi series

and the latest addition.......... a '79 Hagström Jimmy d'Aquisto

Quote Originally Posted by supermd
    PRS SE Singlecut. Shes called Winona.

You've got to love the top on that 8)

I used to have a Gibson ES125 which was nice. I now own a Charvel Surfcaster which I lent short term to my son a few years ago and haven't seen it since. I would love a set of drums but the wife won't let me.

Hi

I bought a few more since I last posted, this one seems like a home made affair in a Selmer case, the guitar came with it's own lead and the jacks are smaller than the standard 1/4" :shock:
    I've plugged it in and it works though the pots are a little crackly :wink:

Single piece construction (or something resembling that )

It has Burns Tri-sonic pickups that I believe were the only pickups that you could buy over the counter at the time..

The tremelo is a Rangemaster :?

Last edited by johnbaz; 29th December 2013 at 22:37. Reason: pics had gone..

I also bought this Epiphone 12 stringer (another than needs re-stringing badly (try a slide and it'll slice the fingertip off )

It looks much older than my 6 string Epi...

It's the one on the left!!

Headstock..

Guitar back..

Happy plucking :lol: :lol:

John :D
    Last edited by johnbaz; 29th December 2013 at 22:40. Reason: pics dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen

and the latest addition..........

You have some lovely pieces in your "studio" Jeroen. :)

Is your Hagstrom a vintage one?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

You have some lovely pieces in your "studio" Jeroen. :)

Is your Hagstrom a vintage one?
    Thanks Neil,

The Hagstrom was a lucky find, it's a second series (1979) Hagstrom "Jimmy"

a series of archtops Hagstrom developed in collaboration with the famous New York luthier James d'Aquisto ( the succesor to possibly one of the greatest of them all, John d'Angelico)

I always fancied one, they 'feel' and sound quite nice.
    The gentleman I bought it from is a professional musician and producer and got this one from the Hagstrom people when the factory closed down......

And though it already looked very good, when it arrived here and I unpacked it I found a virtually new, 32 year old guitar.... :D

I've been playing the skin of my fingers again the last two months :lol:

Craftsman

I finaly got round to taking some pictures of my (very) modest collection.

About 8 years ago I decided to try to learn guitar again. I had origanally tried in my teens, but was unsuccessfull for a number of reasons.

I went out and bought an Epiphone accoustic, a tuner and a tutorial book and started learning. I don't have a picture of the Epiphone as my 18yr old daughter has stolen it to take away to drama school!!.

Anyway first up are the 3 I choose from normally when I am going to have a wee strum in the evening:

On the left is a Westfield Telecaster, bought on ebay and then upgraded with a set of genuine Fender custom shop pickups which were bought while on a trip to the US. With the Fender pickups, this is a lovely sounding guitar, though it really deserves a better quality neck. One of these days I will replace it with a genuine Telecaster and pop the pickups in that.

In the middle is my Vintage PRS style. This is the guitar I pick up most often. For the money it is a lovely guitar. It plays very well, has a really nice feel and with the coil tap is extremey versatile. It also sounds pretty good and holds very good tune.

I just love the one on the right. A 1986 Japanese Squire Stratocaster. Japanese Squires of this, and slightly earlier were arguably better than the US Fenders being made at the time, and this one is a beauty. It's in fantastic condition, has a fantastic patina and plays and sounds like a Strat should.

The next 2 pictures were my 40th present to myself!! A simply gorgeous 2001 Ebony Les Paul Standard.

This Les Paul is in stunning condition and plays and sounds fantastic. Unfortunately, it doesn't get played enough. As I only play for my own pleasure in the house, I tend to pick up either the Vintage or the Strat first and the Les Paul just stays in it's case. As a result of this I am now planning to sell it and spend the money on something else, maybe a watch! I have seen a few guitars on the SC and wonder if this might be a good place to start? I don't particularly want to risk ebay and would prefer not to send the guitar to the buyer but deal face to face if I can.

Got 2. This custom one made from Warmoth parts with Kinman singlecoils (lovely)Got badly chipped once :( And a 3 PU Gibson SG which is a fantastic sounding guitar.

Just tweaked my bass collection, now all MusicMan following me getting hold of a SUB, love the Stingray sound and feel

My guitars are a natural ash Baja Tele, awesomely versatile, plus a Takamine Natural series jumbo cutaway. Saw me through a good few gigs and recordings back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by weedram
    A 1986 Japanese Squire Stratocaster. Japanese Squires of this, and slightly earlier were arguably better than the US Fenders being made at the time, and this one is a beauty. It's in fantastic condition, has a fantastic patina and plays and sounds like a Strat should.
    No two ways about it, the Jap Squires were way better than the rubbish being pumped out of the US with their slack neck joints / weak magnet pickups / poor finish - the mid 70's to mid 80's that saw Fender on it's knees. IMHO it was the revamped USA Standard with 4 both neck that got them back on track again. Amongst other I own a 1971 4 bolt Strat and a '89 USA Standard Strat, not sure I'd bother with anything in between those dates :?

Master

I deal in vintage instruments and have owned many, many guitars over the years. Problem is that many of them are so nice that I have wanted to keep them. But I have learn to be ruthless in discriminating between business and pleasure. My current owned guitars are:
    1944 Martin 00-18
    1986 PRS Custom
    1959 Strat
    1975 Tele.
    They are all proper instruments but the Martin is unbelievably good and the Strat is one of the best I have played and so many of the vintage instruments on the market at the moment are not what they pretend to be. One has to be very, very careful bedore investing serious money.The market is quiet at the moment but will probably pick up for really premium instruments. The PRS is more than interesting and the Tele is nothing really special but I keep it for other reasons. If anyone wants I could take a few pics and post them.

i'd like to see the 59 strat, all original electronics? I'm interested if your a vintage dealer how you substantiate that the neck and body on a vintage fender are in fact the ones it originally started with?

Master

My collection of guitars has dwindled a little now thankfully, and I don't have so many left, but during the '90s, in tandem with my watch habit I also had a guitar habit. I suffered from a sort of musical constipation - I couldn't pass a guitar shop.

At the height of my insanity I had about 15 electric guitars. Now down to a more manageable 6 or 7, including my Yamaha acoustic.

Here are a couple of pics of my pride & joy (not my favourite guitar, but certainly the most desirable), a Les Paul replica made by the renowned luthier Sid Poole. Sid died in 2001 sadly, so this is very irreplaceable.

In the wristwatch world this might be known as a 'homage'. It bears the Poole emblem on the headstock. I had Sid make it to my own specs so it's a bit different from a Gibson Les Paul - has Trini Lopez inlays, push-push coil tap switches, locking tuners and a slightly longer scale length (to match my PRS).

Much nicer than any Gibson I've played, and I've had a couple.

I also have three Stratocasters, the aforementioned PRS, a Yamaha SG1000 and .. by Jove, I think that's it now! Down to six electric guitars. Hallelujah.

My favourite guitar is an early '80s Japanese Fender 'Squier' Strat - a bit nicer than either of the two US made Strats I own.

This is one I sold just this week, so it belongs to someone else now - a Patrick Eggle LA Pro, from the '90s. Has a solid AAA grade flame maple body, a birdseye maple fingerboard, a Wilkinson locking trem and Reflex active pickups.

Master

Ghostly. It is one of the most difficult things to substantiate as you suggest. As you probably know the date is usually written on the neck end and the date of the body is often found in the trem cavity. But not always. And the dates don't always correlate either. This is one of the main reasons why there are so many dodgy Strats for sale these days, even in reputable stores. But the biggest financial decider is certainly original finish. Mine is a respray, done sometime in the 70's I would imagine. Original electronics and wiring? Well, the pots check out and the wiring is certainly of the right era but who knows whether it is entirely original. What I will say is that it is one of the best I have played. The neck is butter-smooth as all the varnish is long gone, it sounds like a vintage Strat should and I had it re-fretted about 10 years ago. That's the strange thing about vintage electrics guitars. You can have a real dead sounding pig of a guitar next to a dreamy refinish with some non-original parts on it and the original one will be worth several times more. As for Les Pauls? Don't get me started on the problems that have been arising with those over the past few years.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    A 1986 Japanese Squire Stratocaster. Japanese Squires of this, and slightly earlier were arguably better than the US Fenders being made at the time, and this one is a beauty. It's in fantastic condition, has a fantastic patina and plays and sounds like a Strat should.
    No two ways about it, the Jap Squires were way better than the rubbish being pumped out of the US with their slack neck joints / weak magnet pickups / poor finish - the mid 70's to mid 80's that saw Fender on it's knees. IMHO it was the revamped USA Standard with 4 both neck that got them back on track again. Amongst other I own a 1971 4 bolt Strat and a '89 USA Standard Strat, not sure I'd bother with anything in between those dates :?
    Well you might miss out on an absolutely exceptional phase in Fender's timeline - arguably the best instruments they've made since the '60s were the 'Dan Smith' guitars of '82 and '83. Dan Smith was the man Fender brought in to fix the quality control problems they'd suffered since the '70s. He got rid of the three-bolt neck and the enormous headstock with the bullet truss rod and the shoddy manufacturing, and got the Fender factory making beautiful, sumptuous instruments recalling the standards of their glory years in the late '50s and early '60s.

Unfortunately Fender underwent a cost-cutting exercise in 1984 and their guitars went a bit ordinary again after that, but the quality control problems that beset their production in the '70s and the very early '80s were behind them.

I had a 'Dan Smith' Strat myself, in beautiful condition. It was gorgeous. Wish I hadn't sold it but it went for nearly twice what a new US Strat would have cost.

Craftsman

Not technically mine, yet. I have this on a try before I buy from my father in law.
    A Gibson J200 Artist from '77. He has a pretty spectacular hoarde of guitars but perfers his Guilds and Taylors for his style than this beauty.
    She will be mine.

Quote Originally Posted by supermd
    Not technically mine, yet. I have this on a try before I buy from my father in law.
    A Gibson J200 Artist from '77. He has a pretty spectacular hoarde of guitars but perfers his Guilds and Taylors for his style than this beauty.
    She will be mine.

Jasus H Christ!!!- that Jumbo Gibbo is stunning 8) 8) 8)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz

Jasus H Christ!!!- that Jumbo Gibbo is stunning 8) 8) 8)

A truly great guitar mate, even my limited skills sound good on this thing, it may be magic, im not sure yet. Here is is the back of her.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    Well you might miss out on an absolutely exceptional phase in Fender's timeline - arguably the best instruments they've made since the '60s were the 'Dan Smith' guitars of '82 and '83. Dan Smith was the man Fender brought in to fix the quality control problems they'd suffered since the '70s. He got rid of the three-bolt neck and the enormous headstock with the bullet truss rod and the shoddy manufacturing, and got the Fender factory making beautiful, sumptuous instruments recalling the standards of their glory years in the late '50s and early '60s.

Unfortunately Fender underwent a cost-cutting exercise in 1984 and their guitars went a bit ordinary again after that, but the quality control problems that beset their production in the '70s and the very early '80s were behind them.

I had a 'Dan Smith' Strat myself, in beautiful condition. It was gorgeous. Wish I hadn't sold it but it went for nearly twice what a new US Strat would have cost.
    There will always be exceptions, but the DS strats are like hens teeth to find (hence the value on yours).
    My personal fav is my 69 sunburst strat, somehow it's just perfect yet others from that period have been horrendous.

Just as an aside, looking at all these beautiful guitars has given me the bug again.

I put a new set of strings on my '89 Strat that I haven't seriously played for about 15 years and am now making an horrific noise. :lol:

Apart from the sore fingers I am enjoying myself again. :D

It's all your fault and I thank you for it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Apart from the sore fingers I am enjoying myself again. :D
    No pain, no gain Neil...... :twisted: but I'm glad the bug has bitten again

For me making some great noise is a nice way of having fun and unwind..... ( and luckily no neighbours to complain... :wink: )

Master

Just spotted this thread so sorry for the late post

My son and I have

'70s Hofner 12 string (signed by Gordon Giltrap)
    '70s Antoria Les Paul custom - cherry sunburst
    '70s Antoria Les Paul Std.
    '70s Antoria SG
    1963 Gibson LGO
    Fender USA Strat plus
    Fender USA Jazz bass
    Martin D1
    Epiphone Joe Pass semi
    Ibanez nylon strung electro/acoustic
    '80s Ibanez rg550

And

My guitar equiv. of a watch "safe queen " (LNIB etc all papers hang tags etc etc)
    Gibson SJ 200 P Townshend Sig. Ltd Edition.

This was one of the first run (150 I think) where the label was signed by the Who man himself

(The above post reminded me I had it. I keep forgetting as it's kept "under the bed" )

I really must learn to play properly one day

Cheers -JP :mrgreen:

Thought I'd revive this old thread as I have another one to add.

While I was taking a pic of my damaged Strat I thought I would try and get a pic of my Ovation Celebrity De Luxe.

Another tale of woe with this one.

As I left it packed away for about 15 years without using it when I did open it up unsurprisingly the battery had melted inside. :roll:

Now it's an [s:3mrsxwoi]electro[/s:3mrsxwoi] acoustic. :lol:

Anymore guitars out there?

They don't have to be ruined. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Not a guitar as such,

Stock photo as camera playing up.

More a banjo 'eh? :wink:

I'll bet you look like Jim Royle clanking away in your armchair. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Similar but he's a little more sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotskey
    Similar but he's a little more sophisticated.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could be worse, you could be in Deliverance. :shock: :wink:

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

This is nice. I like the idea of the Trini inlays too, very nice.

Thought I may as well add this in the appropriate thread.

Bought this from Lawrence recently and am really enjoying it.

Gibson LP Junior from 2009.

His pics, I'll have to get around to doing some myself.

Now I have got back into guitars again after a long lapse and am still cak at playing :lol:(my hands are definitely less flexible than they used to be :( ) I am enjoying myself.

I like nice things and am seriously thinking of trading a few watches for some decent guitars. :)

Quite fancy a nice US Tele or Les Paul standard.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website: