closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Master
    Well i did end up buying the LP that I posted earlier on the thread as an early Christmas present to myself. Glad I did. Absolutely mint condition, plays and sounds wonderful. New favorite guitar by a country mile.

And the pedal collection continues to grow. Some old ones from 15+ years ago when I gigged (RAT, Guv'nor, Flanger & Chorus). The rest are recent.

Some lovely additions there John and Bonesy.

I have steered clear of pedals in recent years as it can be an addiction, and just have a (rarely used) Big Muff.

That said, one of my amps is a modeller so plenty of different sounds there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I'm a bit of a shoe-gazer at heart so spending a few hours mucking about with pedals is my 'happy place'.

The Trio Band Creator pedal is invaluable for someone such as myself who has neither the time not the inclination to find people to jam with when I have time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    I'm a bit of a shoe-gazer at heart so spending a few hours mucking about with pedals is my 'happy place'.

The Trio Band Creator pedal is invaluable for someone such as myself who has neither the time not the inclination to find people to jam with when I have time.
    I have a Trio Band Creator that someone lent me - do you have any tips on how to use it effectively? Would be great to be able to have some tips to get going with it. It’s sat there for ages!

Cheers

Never heard of it so had a look on the net.

Looks a very handy piece of kit, wouldn't mind having a go!

Quite pricey, but I expect there a few second hand models around.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    ^^^

You do bash through them don't you?

TBH I don't think anything will ever cure your GAS but I guess the fun is found by trying!
    Er....yes

You know how it is - you buy a guitar and then something else comes along and you need to free up some funds to buy it....

I had to part with the first G&L and the CIJ 72 RI Tele for the CS Closet Classic 72 RI - would never have bought something like a Closet Classic or any other artificially aged guitar but as an instrument it’s fantastic. The CAR Strat went when a guy round the corner was happy to trade the G&L for it, so I bought the black one when funds were readily available and I have a love/hate relationships with LPs, normally fall out with them after I’ve done a couple of gigs with one and my back has an argument.

The black one:

Now looks like this post Christmas (although I bought the bits myself) - great transformation for less than £40 with genuine Fender parts.

It matches the 72RI nicely, which I can’t find a picture of at the moment so here’s me looking like a tosser.

And then this came earlier this year

Which was a MY2000 LP Classic that had a pair of Burstbuckers installed. Some idiot had done an artificial lacquer checking job on it by running a razor blade left to right across the body (failing to realise that the checking would go along the grain, top to bottom). It was very nice but just don’t have the love for an LP anymore.

Really don't need any more effects pedals but that Trio Band Creator looks like a great tool and relatively easy to use, always a plus with me. A quick look on ebay and that's £150 you owe me now Bonesey!

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I have a Trio Band Creator that someone lent me - do you have any tips on how to use it effectively? Would be great to be able to have some tips to get going with it. It’s sat there for ages!

Cheers
    Never seen one of those before!

Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQaaf4Xfbk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Never seen one of those before!

Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQaaf4Xfbk
    Me neither but they look brilliant, I’m trying to save for a golf trip to Turkey so I’ll see about picking one up after I’ve sorted that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Really don't need any more effects pedals but that Trio Band Creator looks like a great tool and relatively easy to use, always a plus with me. A quick look on ebay and that's £150 you owe me now Bonesey!

Cheers,
    Gary
    There is a basic version (or rather, first version) that I believe doesn't have the looper function? And that would be a bit cheaper

But really, it's such a brilliant pedal. Very very clever, especially how it lays down different bass tracks over your chord structure. I use it for practicing to a tempo/backbeat, or just setting up a jam and you can even write full songs on it. I suggest watching a few tutorials on Youtube to get the most out of it. I've not got as far as setting up a full song structure and knowing how fast to place down the chord structure to get a correct BPM on the drum pattern can take a bit of getting used to.

If you're not averse to watching Andertons TV on Youtube they've done a review of it. (I think it was Danish Pete and the Captain). Can't drop link as YT blocked on work terminals.

My partner got me the Digitech Whammy for Christmas as a sort of replacement for my old wahwah pedal which is dead and propping up the amp at the moment. Just arrived yesterday so looking forward to getting home from this work trip and giving that a try.
    Last edited by Bonesey; 8th January 2019 at 05:24.

@johnnyguitar, you've certainly improved those Fenders!

I'm not a fan of white scratchplates on black Fenders but the all black look is so much nicer.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I love black/black/maple on a Fender Neil. The 72s came in that colour scheme in the factory since...well, 1972 :D

I've had 2 black/black/maple P Basses and a Musicman Stingray 3EQ in the same colour scheme. I like the G&L I've got now because it sort of ticks the '52 box, but the plan is to trade it for a Tele Deluxe (the more recent one with the gold pickguard) and put a black pickguard on it - either that or another USA Standard in black and then I'll get it routed for a humbucker. I think a Deluxe would be too nice to butcher. I'd also like a 3 pickup Tele - like the Nashville ones - at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    The black one:

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gilmour, of course, has the 'classic' black strat:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Its the Kuro of guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be?
    Ebony fingerboard and a matching headstock. And black strings. And then it would be really black. BLACK! BLACK! B-L-A-C-K! LIKE THE ENDLESS BLACKNESS OF SPACE! THAT LEADS TO THE CHASM OF CLAMS!

Ebony fingerboard and a matching headstock. And black strings. And then it would be really black. BLACK! BLACK! B-L-A-C-K! LIKE THE ENDLESS BLACKNESS OF SPACE! THAT LEADS TO THE CHASM OF CLAMS!
    Nah. Black and chrome is where it's at. Lots of chrome....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    Nah. Black and chrome is where it's at. Lots of chrome....
    Lovely! That's a proper 1970s look bass!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Lovely! That's a proper 1970s look bass!
    It's a '74 re-issue Jazz. The Olympic white one behind it is a recent American Standard Jazz. They sound, and play, really differently. The seventies one has a real 'growl' to it - I think because for that year - '74 - Fender moved the bridge pickup half an inch or so towards the rear. It moved back to the original position in later years. I may be wrong of course, and it may just be down to the pickups or the wiring, or something else!

As far as the seventies look goes, the 'ashtrays' are a real pain in the bum if you learned on an instrument that doesn't have them. They always seem to be in the way!

Master
    It's a '74 re-issue Jazz. The Olympic white one behind it is a recent American Standard Jazz. They sound, and play, really differently. The seventies one has a real 'growl' to it - I think because for that year - '74 - Fender moved the bridge pickup half an inch or so towards the rear. It moved back to the original position in later years. I may be wrong of course, and it may just be down to the pickups or the wiring, or something else!
    Block inlays and loads of chrome! Looks a beast! Didn't realise they had tinkered with the pickup positioning. Tend to think they didn't do much with the standard models having got it right first time!

As far as the seventies look goes, the 'ashtrays' are a real pain in the bum if you learned on an instrument that doesn't have them. They always seem to be in the way!

Same with my lovely 1978 Tele I've had from new. Unplayable with the ashray on! I assume they haven't supplied them with one for years now as the first thing you do is to take it off.

Craftsman

Let's see your guitars

Some of you may have seen my WTB for a cheapish rosewood board Telecaster. This was to be a basis for a pair of Custom Shop Texas Special pickups I have lying about, while at the same time giving me an alternative feel and tone to complement my existing maple neck, blonde Baja Telecaster.

Unfortunately, my WTB didn’t prove fruitful but I did find this beauty on EBay at a fantastic price. She is a mid to late 80’s Made in Japan TL52. She was advertised as an 85, but these A serial number MIJ Telecasters cannot accurately be dated from the serial number on the bridge plate. As is fairly common of that period, I can’t see a date on the neck but the other aspects of the guitar date it as pre 89.

Buying a guitar unseen is a risk and on eBay even more so. In this case, this was a risk worth taking. The guitar is in stunning condition and plays beautifully.

While it seems that another maple neck Telecaster was not what I was looking for, there is a surprising difference in feel and sound. She is quickly becoming my favourite guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by weedram; 14th January 2019 at 23:19.

^^^

Looks a cracker!

Daring of you to buy unseen from ebay but it looks to have paid off.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    That's a beautiful looking Tele. Always fancied one. But never found one that I liked.... yet.

In other news, new pedal on the way. I saw it on a TPS pick and mix show about 6 months ago but couldn't get a hold of one. Found a few on Reverb but quite high prices + shipping due to being overseas. But discovered that Chase Tone had a limited run going so managed to snag one for $125 including shipping. Really looking forward to this one.

https://chasetone.com/chase-tone-68-red-velvet-fuzz/

If nothing else, that pedal looks the business.

^^^

Looks a cracker!

Daring of you to buy unseen from ebay but it looks to have paid off.
    Never bothered me once - 9 times ouf of 10 anything American made is put together well enough that any minor issues can be resolved with a set up and if it's really a pup, you just sell it and buy another! :D

Never bothered me once - 9 times ouf of 10 anything American made is put together well enough that any minor issues can be resolved with a set up and if it's really a pup, you just sell it and buy another! :D
    And they don't come more basic and bullet proof than a Tele.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEugtz0FY4

Jimmy Page's Yardbirds tele remade.

Master
    Don't care for the tele, but I might be tempted by the amp.
    Last edited by Bonesey; 25th January 2019 at 04:59.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6mIYNO3So

Dave Gilmour guitars - expect the big money for these.

I'm going to have to stop buying geetars or move to a bigger house!

Went and bought this first series Faith Mercury parlour guitar!, Strings are actually rusty but it still sounds nice!! I'll restring it tomorrow!

John

Just had a plucking good hour with my Taylor GS Mini Koa . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    2 really nice acoustics above.

I hope both of you enjoy them.

A small body acoustic will be my next purchase too. I'm looking forward to trying out the different styles to see what I like best.

Nice Parlours John and Bob.

I quite fancy a parlour size although I rarely play an acoustic.

For handy strumming I have this Swift I bought from a boot sale for a fiver last summer.

Cheers,
    Neil.

some 30+ year old Gibson replica made in Czechoslovakia.

Craftsman
    I have loved archtops for 50 years. Here's a 19" built by Jim Triggs with more than a nod to the old Elmer Stromberg instruments from the 1940s and 1950s. Perfect for swing big band rhythm playing and set up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    some 30+ year old Gibson replica made in Czechoslovakia.

That's a substantial bridge there!

Back in the days when we couldn't get American guitars (or they were too expensive) a fair few models used to come here from Czechoslovakia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I have loved archtops for 50 years. Here's a 19" built by Jim Triggs with more than a nod to the old Elmer Stromberg instruments from the 1940s and 1950s. Perfect for swing big band rhythm playing and set up for that.

That's beautiful.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Had a walk in to a local Barnardo's charity shop yesterday and found a Stagg hardcase with keys for £15!

After a walk around the wife pointed to a small guitar that was propped up in a corner, Turned out that it came in the Stagg hardcase!!, I bought the parlour guitar for a tenner being as it was hand made and presented to a couple on their wedding day back in '06!!

I found the luthier on facebook too!!

The action is quite high and there's a small gap under the fretboard, I reckon that removing and resetting the neck correctly would cure the high action but I think shaving the surface of the bridge will also have the same effect then recut the slot for the saddle!

Quality materials were used, Rosewood for the back, Mahogany for the sides and neck, What appears to be flame maple for the bindings, There's a veneer on the face of the headstock which looks like yew or something similar and no idea what the bridge is!

I have two Vintage V300's, The natural one fits the Stagg case almost perfectly yet the Baby blue on (Same V300) won't go in.... Strange!!

Size comparison with the V300 which is a smaller bodied guitar!

John

^^^

Lovely charity shop finds John!

I love a bargain.

BTW The Faith looked really nice too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

So... been playing for nearly 30 years but not at all in the last 10. Sold off almost all my guitars and amps a while back (Suhr, Anderson, an ESP, various Fenders etc) but now I’m getting a hankering to start playing again. Just acquired a new amp (a Budda SD18) and I really fancy a new strat-type guitar to go with it.

When did US strats get so expensive? £1800 for a US and over £3k for a custom shop! It got me thinking about other options... so what do you recommend? The PRS John Mayer one looks interesting? John Suhr s-type? LSL, Lentz, Musicman?

Anyway, what Strat type guitars are you playing and what do you suggest looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    So... been playing for nearly 30 years but not at all in the last 10. Sold off almost all my guitars and amps a while back (Suhr, Anderson, an ESP, various Fenders etc) but now I’m getting a hankering to start playing again. Just acquired a new amp (a Budda SD18) and I really fancy a new strat-type guitar to go with it.

When did US strats get so expensive? £1800 for a US and over £3k for a custom shop! It got me thinking about other options... so what do you recommend? The PRS John Mayer one looks interesting? John Suhr s-type? LSL, Lentz, Musicman?

Anyway, what Strat type guitars are you playing and what do you suggest looking at?
    if the Fender American Strats are too dear have a look at the Mexican made ones.

The Classic series reissues are really excellent quality. Got a '60's and looking for a '50's now!

Prefer the vintage 7.25" style to my US Standard Strat.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    When did US strats get so expensive? £1800 for a US and over £3k for a custom shop! It got me thinking about other options... so what do you recommend?

I think the simple answer is don't buy new!

V&R are probably not the cheapest by any stretch but they have, as an example, this:

https://vintageandrareguitars.com/pr...-stratocaster/

I bought a Strat Plus Deluxe in the mid 1990's for £600/700 or so. Never really took to it and sold it (to all intents unused) about 4 years ago for the same money!

http://xhefriguitars.com/page3.html
    Last edited by David_D; 8th March 2019 at 16:01.

Unhappy

^^^

Lovely charity shop finds John!

I love a bargain.

BTW The Faith looked really nice too.
    Cheers Neil!

Had a li'l accident with the Faith, One of my rifles fell over and whacked it, Didn't think any more about it as it was in it's padded softcase, Got it out a few days ago and there's two large cracks in the top!

I think a competant luthier could work some of the thin cyano glue in to make it solid again, Maybe capilliary action will draw the glue in (Hopefully)!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Cheers Neil!

Had a li'l accident with the Faith, One of my rifles fell over and whacked it, Didn't think any more about it as it was in it's padded softcase, Got it out a few days ago and there's two large cracks in the top!

I think a competant luthier could work some of the thin cyano glue in to make it solid again, Maybe capilliary action will draw the glue in (Hopefully)!

John
    Oh Gawd!

Hope you get it fixed at a reasonable price.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Cheers Neil!

John
    Thats a good excuse to pop the bridge off and veneer the whole top with a nice exotic something!

Every cloud and all that?

A fun pick-up from the car boot yesterday.

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks like quite a weapon. Is it real or plastic checker plate?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Looks like quite a weapon. Is it real or plastic checker plate?
    Aluminium.

Cheers

Foggy

Wouldn't want to play that on a cold day!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Not a guitar, but definitely guitar-related. Bought a Boss ME80 multi-effects pedal a few weeks ago and am loving it! Think its great for someone like me who is still pretty new to guitar and definitely to the world of effects - allows me to try things out and the user interface is pretty simple and not menu driven - simple knobs and a screen. Haven't tried the multiple presets yet...

^^^

Wow! That will keep you busy!

Be careful though, I find with my modelling amp I spend more time twiddling knobs than playing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Anyone on here running a Wet/Dry setup?