closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1312

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That looks very cool. How does it play and did you have to do much to set it up when you got it?
    Thanks.

I've actually done nothing, not even changed the strings yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Classic, love it!
    Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    Looks fab
    What year is it?
    Thanks.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Crazy that 1970s is now “vintage” but I agree - love the big headstock and looks great in white. Enjoy!
    Seems crazy to me too but I guess the 70's are half a century ago now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I was talking to an employee at one of my clients whose day job is as a helicopter mechanic - a metal basher to be precise. But he told me he has a business on the side hand-building guitars in carbon fibre. He makes acoustics, solid and semi-hollow bodied electrics and mandolins. Everyhing is in carbon - body, neck and even the fingerboard.

I found a couple of demos on Youtube.

^^^

That's novel Simon. Does he nick the CF from old rotor blades?

Joking aside as I would imagine CF is inert I guess all the guitars of the same style/equipment would sound the same as opposed to wood which varies quite a lot?

I had an Ovation years ago. The company founder Charles Kaman was a helicopter designer/ engineer and the bowl back was made of aerospace type composites.

Kept slipping off my lap!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Seems crazy to me too but I guess the 70's are half a century ago now.
    Quite depressing!!

Kept slipping off my lap!
    I had a cheap Ovation copy, it was an Applause (see what they did there?) and played surprisingly well. But despite the back being textured I couldn't keep it still. I'd forgotten all about it until I read your comment.

I have been down the guitar rabbit hole again recently and come back up with a couple of guitars, so thought it only right to include them here.

The new ‘uns

That’s an American Original Telecaster Custom 72 RI in ‘Mocha’. The blonde one looks nicer but this was cheaper. It has a remake of a proper CuNiFe Wide Range Humbucker after Fender stopped using CuNiFe for magnets years ago

Fullerton made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy from 2016. Came with all the relevant docs and G&L case too.

And the old ones:

Custom Shop Telecaster Custom 72 RI ‘Closet Classic’
    Quite what I need with 3 neck humbucker Teles is beyond me. But whatever.

USA Std Strat. Was black and white but I turned it all black to match the CS Tele

Epiphone Dot (335) with a Burstbucker and a Rio Grande Texas Humbucker. Last of the Korean made guitars, owes me £230 from Thomann in 2004 and whatever the cost of the Pearly Gates I fitted to the Les Paul I took these pickups out of. Also don’t panic about playing it like I did with a proper ES-335.

Patrick Eggle (not to be confused with Patrick James Eggle) ‘New Wave’. All maple, very bright. Needs fixing.

Martin HD28-V. Bloody love this guitar but would still swap it in a heartbeat for an HD28-VS or a D28 Authentic 1937.

Crafter Lite something or other. Bought it from a Cash Converters type shop in Northampton for £30. It had a pick up fitted and a hole drilled next to the heel for a volume pot, plus the top is coming away from the side around the bottom bout. These were about £100 in 2005 (because I bought one that I subsequently gave to a ex-girlfriends daughter) and rose to about my £215 by the time I found this. They sounded great for the money as it was probably one of the cheapest solid-topped guitars you could buy at the time.

Master
    Swapped out three of the chrome ferrules on my Thinline Tele for nickel ones. I use it for jazz mainly, and as some readers will know, the wound strings on a Tele can rob half-diminished chords in the lower register of some of their melancholy - unless you use flatwounds, but I generally don't.

I find that nickel mitigates this a little, possibly at the expense of a touch of sustain.

My wife bought me the Lazarus Epiphone for Christmas! I'm really looking forward to that arriving.

This will be my first Epiphone since my second ever guitar, a Epi Les Paul in 1994 (I have a few Gibsons now :) )

Brought another home!!

Hi all

A chap on facey markeplace advertised several guitars, All rubbish but one stuck out like a sore thumb even though the pics weren't very good!

This guitar as it turns out was made by a local cabinet maker of 27 years that also worked at Lowden guitars and Avalon guitars in Ireland!

It's prototype number 01, Looking at the makers website, He appears to have only made two guitars, This one was given as a freebie to his neighbour when he was moving out for putting up with the noise from his machinery but on the proviso that he kept it and didn't sell it!

I contacted the maker about the guitar, This is how I know!, Apparently after my email to him he thought the guitar may have been burgled from his old neighbour and messaged him to ask about it, The guy sent a load of guitars including this one to a charity shop!

The maker is understandably pretty miffed about it!, It has problems now though with a high action, It turned out that there was amassive underbow in the neck, I tightend the trussrod which has improved playability but is still a bit higher than the optimum!

I feel so bad for the chap that I probably will let him have it back

The guitar was only £30

By the way, I have replaced those skanky old strings!!

John..

How about this for something different?

Took me a long time to find one of these in the UK. They weren't in production for very long and I dont think Eastwood plan to make any more.

Eastwood Astrojet Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Took me a long time to find one of these in the UK. They weren't in production for very long and I dont think Eastwood plan to make any more.

Eastwood Astrojet Tenor

Four strings? What is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Four strings? What is that thing?
    Its a tenor guitar.

Yes, a four course instrument most commonly tuned in 5ths CGDA. Other common tunings are GDEA, GDAD and DGBE.

Master
    Its a tenor guitar.

Yes, a four course instrument most commonly tuned in 5ths CGDA. Other common tunings are GDEA, GDAD and DGBE.
    Blimey! How have I got to my age never having heard of that?! Thought it was a bass.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

A chap on facey markeplace advertised several guitars, All rubbish but one stuck out like a sore thumb even though the pics weren't very good!

This guitar as it turns out was made by a local cabinet maker of 27 years that also worked at Lowden guitars and Avalon guitars in Ireland!

It's prototype number 01, Looking at the makers website, He appears to have only made two guitars, This one was given as a freebie to his neighbour when he was moving out for putting up with the noise from his machinery but on the proviso that he kept it and didn't sell it!

I contacted the maker about the guitar, This is how I know!, Apparently after my email to him he thought the guitar may have been burgled from his old neighbour and messaged him to ask about it, The guy sent a load of guitars including this one to a charity shop!

The maker is understandably pretty miffed about it!, It has problems now though with a high action, It turned out that there was amassive underbow in the neck, I tightend the trussrod which has improved playability but is still a bit higher than the optimum!

I feel so bad for the chap that I probably will let him have it back

The guitar was only £30

By the way, I have replaced those skanky old strings!!

John..
    £30 for that????

I'd hang on to it John.

Looks a cracker.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Eastwood Astrojet Tenor

Normal sized body and tiny neck!

I don't think my sausage type fingers would fit on that.

Had similar trouble on a mandolin.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Normal sized body and tiny neck!
    No need for personal comments! 😂

Just curious to know what electric guitar strings people use.

For years I've been playing Ernie Ball hybrid slinky's (9-46) on longer scale necks and skinny top heavy bottoms (10-52) on shorter scale necks. However recently I've tried Fender Original 150's vintage nickel (9-42) on my G&L ASAT Classic and much prefer them. Extremely comfortable to play, great full tone and reduced finger noise - plus they don't cost a fortune and they seem to last a bit longer too.

So what strings do you prefer?

Cheers,
    Gary

Fender Original or Super Bullets 10/46 on the Stratocaster. Martin Authentic Light or Martin Clapton Phosphor Bronze 12/54 on the Washburn acoustic.

Had a new incoming recently. I think I'm ready for my mullet now

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post

For years I've been playing Ernie Ball hybrid slinky's (9-46) on longer scale necks and skinny top heavy bottoms (10-52) on shorter scale necks. However recently I've tried Fender Original 150's vintage nickel (9-42) on my G&L ASAT Classic and much prefer them. Extremely comfortable to play, great full tone and reduced finger noise - plus they don't cost a fortune and they seem to last a bit longer too.

So what strings do you prefer?

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hi Gary, nice to see you.

I generally prefer 10's on Gibsons and 9's on Fenders.

The Les Pauls have D'addario 10- 46

The Strats have a bit of a combination:

70's Classic has D'addario hybrid 9-46

60's Classic has Rotosound 10-46

US Standard has Fender 250L 9-42.

I'll be honest, I can't really tell a lot of difference between the decent brands and tend to buy what is on offer.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Fender Original or Super Bullets 10/46 on the Stratocaster. Martin Authentic Light or Martin Clapton Phosphor Bronze 12/54 on the Washburn acoustic.
    Thanks Simon, you obviously have stronger fingers than me!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post

Don't forget the skin tight Spandex!

Hi Gary, nice to see you.

I generally prefer 10's on Gibsons and 9's on Fenders.

The Les Pauls have D'addario 10- 46

The Strats have a bit of a combination:

70's Classic has D'addario hybrid 9-46

60's Classic has Rotosound 10-46

US Standard has Fender 250L 9-42.

I'll be honest, I can't really tell a lot of difference between the decent brands and tend to buy what is on offer.
    Hi mate, good to hear from you too. Hope you're well in these strange times and give Dot a big fuss from me.

I only bought the Fenders strings as they were under £12 for a pack of three. Plus my Strat has Fender strings (don't know what sort) and it's so easy to play.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    I use 10-46 on everything, I used Rotosound for years but more recently I've been using D'Addario nickel wound. Tried flatwound 11s on my Ibanez semi recently but I'm not fond of them.

James Hetfield would be proud..

That's gorgeous Thom!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    James Hetfield would be proud..
    Thanks guys. Must confess that Harvester of Sorrow was the very first riff I played when it arrived

A classic ! Allen Collins wasn't half bad !

Craftsman
    New arrival today, a Taylor GS Mini koa. Until I tried a few last week I hadn't played acoustic for over thirty years but I have fallen a little bit in love with this one. I particularly like the pattern/grain on the ebony fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    New arrival today, a Taylor GS Mini koa. Until I tried a few last week I hadn't played acoustic for over thirty years but I have fallen a little bit in love with this one. I particularly like the pattern/grain on the ebony fretboard.

That looks lovely.

I know they are well thought of around here.

@Magirus (Bob) has one IIRC.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post

That looks lovely.

I know they are well thought of around here.

@Magirus (Bob) has one IIRC.

Your memory serves you well Neil! I've had mine for a good few years now. I've tittivated it a little, but still haven't got around to the Gotoh tuners yet. There's a few pics in this thread.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

My recent addition - Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue.

Plays like butter!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Your memory serves you well Neil! I've had mine for a good few years now. I've tittivated it a little, but still haven't got around to the Gotoh tuners yet. There's a few pics in this thread.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

Plays like butter!
    That's beautiful. I had a 58 that looked just like that years ago, I still miss it to this day. Probably the best guitar I will ever own. In fact I've just realised the headstock is by the side of this comment!

Talking of Les Pauls, it always used to bug me how Americans called them 'Less Pauls'. I then realized that as the guitarist Les Paul's full name was Lester Paul, the 'Less' pronunciation is obviously the correct way (and of course the way Les Paul himself would have said it). Just one of those British things, I guess, along with Braun, Porsche etc.

Plays like butter!
    That's a saucy R9!

Hope the butter doesn't get too sticky though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    That ‘59 is very nice indeed! All of my favourite noises come out of Les Paul’s, love them. Here’s my 58 reissue next to my most recent addition (besides a digital piano I can’t play). The 335 is a bit like hugging a wardrobe by comparison. With the gain turned up it’s 90% Les Paul with 20% more shouting, but clean it’s warmer and sweeter with more bloom. Both brilliant in their own way

A lovely pair!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Talking of Les Pauls, it always used to bug me how Americans called them 'Less Pauls'. I then realized that as the guitarist Les Paul's full name was Lester Paul, the 'Less' pronunciation is obviously the correct way (and of course the way Les Paul himself would have said it). Just one of those British things, I guess, along with Braun, Porsche etc.
    His full name was actually Lester Polfuss aka rhubarb red.

I don't mind Americans calling them Less Pauls as that is their way but I hate anybody calling them "Lesters" - annoying.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Enjoying these Les Pauls. I went and found a picture of my old CR8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I loaned my old Art & Lutherie guitar to a keen friend of my son's and... it has been some time now. I suspect it's not coming back

With that in mind, I stumbled (almost literally, it was hanging at the end of a shop's rack of display guitars like an afterthought) across this Yamaha APXT2.

It's a 3/4-sized electro acoustic. It looks comically small next to a full sized acoustic, and (like the shop manager) I almost ignored it. I was a little embarrassed to even try it.

But try it I did, and well, what witchcraft is this?!

It has a sound that would cause passing angels to weep with its melodious tones, and great artisans to honour it with majestic tapestries.

It really shouldn't sound this good. It is small. It is cheap. It isn't cheap, but it just doesn't cost a lot of money. Very few noble luthiers were likely inconvenienced by its manufacturer. Global abalone stocks remain undiminshed. And the price includes a built-in tuner and pickup.

I'm using the stock strings and pegs. It's amazing. And the size is just fine. A bonus even - it is so easy to pick up and play anywhere. I am amazed.

Did I mention my amazement?

Amazing.
    I found an Art & Lutherie blue cedar top acoustic at bootsale for £50, Have to say, It was the best acoustic for the set up and tone that i've ever owned/played, Loved it right up til the day my son borrowed it forever!

It needed a pick guard, I put some real cheap coloured Chinese strings on and it still sounded good- Better when my lad played it than me!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    Enjoying these Les Pauls. I went and found a picture of my old CR8.
    May as well post it properly.

Lovely!

Cheers,
    Neil.

While I'm at it may as well post another pic of my '04 Standard I took recently.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Fender Classic series, '60's and '70's models.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Fender Classic series, '60's and '70's models.
    Beauties! Not sure 1970’s Fenders had much of a reputation but I love the big headstock on the 70’s Strat!

Beauties! Not sure 1970’s Fenders had much of a reputation but I love the big headstock on the 70’s Strat!
    The new ones are far better than the originals.

It came up and I actually bought it as it was the same style as Jimi's Woodstock Strat.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    The new ones are far better than the originals.

It came up and I actually bought it as it was the same style as Jimi's Woodstock Strat.
    Guessed they’d improved QC these days!

If you can play like Hendrix, you’re not doing too badly!!

Guessed they’d improved QC these days!

If you can play like Hendrix, you’re not doing too badly!!
    If only!!

I make some attempts at some of his stuff but I'll never achieve his magic.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Burns Shadow Special

This is a Korns! (Most probably a Korns from 2003) You can't believe what it says on the tin of course! A lovely thing (top of the range when new) and has sat since being purchased, many moons ago (still has the protective poly on the pickguards):-

A new set of strings and a fettle of the knife edge trem ("gold" arm still sat in its original sleeve, along with the allen key for the "gold" bridge adjusters!) and she is a very pretty and practical thing.
    I "Hank"ered after one for a long time when I couldn't afford one! Now I can!
    Last edited by tixntox; 16th February 2023 at 15:47.

Craftsman

My current 3:

- Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard
    - Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop
    - Taylor 414ce Acoustic

Excuse the messy wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

My current 3:

- Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard
    - Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop
    - Taylor 414ce Acoustic

Excuse the messy wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great choice of guitars. I've often wondered what it would be like to play a Les Paul. I'm a Telecaster owner at present.