closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT IIc clasp failure

Master

GMT IIc clasp failure

So, I get in from work yesterday evening, go to take my watch off before giving my son his pre-bedtime bath....and the clip that you release the clasp with only moves to about 45-50 degrees. I used some force and finally lifted it up but one of the welds that secures the clip had come away and was totally out of line

To say I was pissed is an understatement, not because the watch has got to go in for repair (still under warranty and these things happen, I run a BMW Aftersales centre :wink: ) but because I am off to Vegas Thursday morning, and after a year of ownership was actually going to have a need for the GMT function................. :lol:

I was tempted to soldier on with the watch and leave it on my wrist till I get back next week...... but that would mean getting it wet :blackeye:

Fast forward to this morning.....................

It just so happens that RSC Bexley is less than 5 minutes from where I work.

9.15am I roll up there and 9.40am I walk out of there with the watch fixed :hello1:

This is what the technician told me.

The screw that secures the clip end of the clasp to the bracelet had worked itself loose and the stiffness was the clip hitting the screw. He was almost certain that when the bracelet was adjusted at the AD they failed to secure the screw with loctite which has caused the screw to come loose.

He then changed the clasp at no cost as he rightly stated there was no way it was my fault, and boy was I pleased I asked him how much a new clasp was for the GMT and he said ''would you like to take a seat ...........£800!!!'' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That said if he didn't sort it I would've taken issue with the AD, but alls well that ends well, fantastic service from Rolex!!

Viva Las Vegas!!!! :twisted:

Re: GMT IIc clasp failure

glad to hear it all went well ! aand that Rolex took care of you :)

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Its always nice to hear of good service...thumbs up to Rolex! :thumbright:

Not quite convinced of the technician's reasoning. Its not the first GMTIIc clasp to break.
    But glad they sorted it out and you can use the watch as collateral on the Vegas tables :twisted:

Master

cracking service

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    Not quite convinced of the technician's reasoning. Its not the first GMTIIc clasp to break.
    But glad they sorted it out and you can use the watch as collateral on the Vegas tables :twisted:
    Me either tbh, but it did make sense and there were pits on the screw. The question is did it leave the factory like that or was it as suggested, the AD?

Excellent service from Rolex. After sales service is often a forgotten consideration when purchasing a watch; it should really be factored in to the decision making process.

Enjoy your trip.

Glad it all worked out swimmingly and kudos to Bexley for minimising your inconvenience but £800 for a new clasp - bloody nora! :shock:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

800 :shock: i think i would have stuck it down with duct tape and left the watch on :lol:

Master

That was shocking Ryan :shock:

The resolution was obviously fantastic - but how long would it have taken if you had posted it in and it sat on a pile of other boxes though?

I'm really pleased for you obviously, but as the clasp is the GMTIIC's party piece, it's a bit of a worry. I suppose in the real world it's possible for anything to go bandy at times though :?

Quote Originally Posted by swatch
    Its not the first GMTIIc clasp to break.
    For 800 pounds :shock: it should be perfect and they should give a guarantee for a thousand years but instead their product was faulty and a replacement could be faulty too.I believe we must be more demanding and not just happy with the after sales service cause we are not talking about an Oris but for a very expensive watch :evil: .

Master

I asked him how much a new clasp was for the GMT and he said ''would you like to take a seat ...........£800!!!'' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    :shock: Bloody hell! A new bracelet for my GMT was only about £260 - I know that the new bracelets are altogether more substantial and complex, but even so...

Grand Master

Great service, although the price for a new clasp is unbelievably steep .. enjoy Vegas!
    /vince ..

Great service from Rolex although I am surprised this has hapenned.. I'm going to keep a good eye at my clasp.

Blog Entries

800 GBP!!!!! FFS :shock:
    Great service though, as expected from a brand with their status.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

Hasty check of my clasp & adjacent screw links!! :shock:

One of mine was a little loose (proud of the strap) so out with the locktite threadlock and the Baby-Screwdrivers!

Thanks for the very timeous heads-up.

Mike.

Great service :thumbright:

800 smackeroonies!!! :shock:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

I have seen a few threads on another forum about the GMTIIc bracelets failing :shock: Which suprised me.

Great service and a bonus you got to use it for the first time :)

Rolex and Vegas - great combo. And service.

Craftsman

Seeing a lot of preowned Rolex on a daily basis, I can't say that I have seen anything resembling that flaw on the new GMT II's (ss, tt or solid g). Hm... Weird.

Morgan

Nice to see that Rolex stepped up here

Good news