closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VAT?

VAT?

Can you folks over there clue me in on the VAT? I have had many interested in purchcasing my desireable Precista, but they stop short at the idea of the VAT. I believe I paid that when I bought the watch from Eddie. should I limit the sale to the USA? Thanks

Re: VAT?

When you import to the UK you have to pay both import tax and VAT. VAT is 15% at the moment. You can post things and not declare the vaule but if it goes miss you loose out!

Craftsman

Inside EU : if you're a private seller, no VAT if it's a second hand sell (VAT had been paid previously),
    Outside/Inside EU : no matter if the VAT has already been paid, you'll have to pay it (and EU taxes) when you import it.
    Inside/outside EU : depend on your own country regulation,

regards, Nicolas

Not sure if VAT applies on buying used goods from overseas, you could check on UK customs & excise I guess.

Master

Reasonable chance when buying outside the EU that charges will apply once the watch lands in UK customs.

Best to factor in 20% of declared value as a possibilty, if you don't get charged it's good news & a bonus, if you do it's been accounted for and less of a blow.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ttshinykit
    Not sure if VAT applies on buying used goods from overseas, you could check on UK customs & excise I guess.
    I have to pay it when I import goods in France, and I'm almost sure it's the same anywhere in EU.

From HM Revenue and Customs website

VAT on other goods sent to you from within the EU
    If you buy goods other than alcohol and tobacco from a seller in another EU country then it's just like shopping in the UK. There's no extra VAT to pay.

VAT on other goods you buy from outside the EU
    If you buy goods from a seller outside the EU then you'll usually have to pay VAT and duty. It makes no difference if the goods are new or used, for example antiques. And it doesn't matter if you buy them for your own use or to sell on.

VAT is worked out on the full value of the goods plus postage costs and any duty. The amount of duty varies, depending on what the goods are.

The best way to try and avoid is to mark the watch as precision instrument return from repair or given its origonal origin return for repair may work. Use anyone other than usps as they declare everything to RM. You can take out secondary insurance and quote a lower value on the package, but is a tricky one.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts
    The best way to try and avoid is to mark the watch as precision instrument return from repair or given its origonal origin return for repair may work. Use anyone other than usps as they declare everything to RM. You can take out secondary insurance and quote a lower value on the package, but is a tricky one.
    Others than USPS who are the best to use?

I guess this watch will have to go on ebay USA. Too bad, you guys know how great a watch it is!

Quote Originally Posted by ttshinykit
    VAT is due on any purchase over £18 from outside the EU. It doesn't
    matter if it's new or used

Well, here's to the EU. Perhaps when the EU repays the US for protecting it from the Soviets for 60 years, not to mention the Marshall plan, that will be fair!

Quote Originally Posted by ncvhdoc1
    Well, here's to the EU. Perhaps when the EU repays the US for protecting it from the Soviets for 60 years, not to mention the Marshall plan, that will be fair!
    Nah, I think you'll find we used Crelm toothpaste...

Far more effective!