closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: aging tritium?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

aging tritium?

is there a way to hasten the honeying on tritium, so it darkens quicker?

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

Re: aging tritium?

Don't think there is a quick solution, although those kept in the dark certainly go darker, markers & hands on safe queens are often very orangey/brown - but this is over many years. The opposite is that those exposed to light (worn or left out) tend to stay whiter.

I think Jed posted a comment that a mate had left a Comex on a window sill for 3 months in the summer to bring back a whiteness to the markers, again a bit of a long process.

Unless anyone has been experimenting with other techniques ?

I'm not a chemist, but I assume that it's actually the paint that's effected by light, not the Tritium itself, unless you've discovered a way to hasten / retard radioactive decay. Sunlight beaching the pigments in the paint, perhaps?
    M

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I'm not a chemist, but I assume that it's actually the paint that's effected by light, not the Tritium itself, unless you've discovered a way to hasten / retard radioactive decay. Sunlight beaching the pigments in the paint, perhaps?
    M
    Neither am I and haven't a clue regarding whats at work here :) , but the observations regarding exposure or not to light and the effects on T dial markers & hands are well evidenced

Master
    Blog Entries

Just my 2p. I have a two years old T dial Panerai and the markers are distinctly creamier than the hands have thus achieved.

My point is, only two years to get a distinct and discernable patination :)

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    M
    Neither am I and haven't a clue regarding whats at work here :) , but the observations regarding exposure or not to light and the effects on T dial markers & hands are well evidenced
    Placing a watch in direct sunlight will bleach the pigment out of the paint, to include the background.

That aged tritium look is really cool. I've a Fortis with tritium lume that's at least 5 years old but the lume is still as green as ever - no sign of it changing.

Nick

Master

Sorry to bump this thread but I stumbled across it yesterday and thought it was interesting so I conducted a little experiment last night :D. I left my 5513 directly under a bright lamp for a couple of hours (not so close that it melted the watch!). Now the tritium, particularly on the dial, is noticably lighter. I kind of wish I hadn't done it now! :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc
    Sorry to bump this thread but I stumbled across it yesterday and thought it was interesting so I conducted a little experiment last night :D. I left my 5513 directly under a bright lamp for a couple of hours (not so close that it melted the watch!). Now the tritium, particularly on the dial, is noticably lighter. I kind of wish I hadn't done it now! :lol:
    Whyever not? My own 1655 is quite bleached from a lot of exposure to sunlight (obviously not is Scotland) & ii's part of its history. 8)

I'm sure it looks upon its fellow watches with honeyed markers and feels sorry for them spending their lives in a dark, dry safe while it got out to play. :lol:

Mike.

If I recall correctly, I've seen pictures of modders putting dials into the oven at a low heat, to give the lume an artificially aged appearance. They did it with an Alpha - you might not want to do it to your watch, though!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RTH
    If I recall correctly, I've seen pictures of modders putting dials into the oven at a low heat, to give the lume an artificially aged appearance. They did it with an Alpha - you might not want to do it to your watch, though!
    :shock: :shock: :shock: Think I'll give that one a miss! :lol:

I saw a setup in a post, the guy had heat lamps set up above Rolex Daytona dials, I assumed to "Patrizzi" them!
    Not sure if it was a spoof or not.
    C.

This is a classic debate topic, I even saw a post where a guy hung out his watch on a tree in the yard for months, aiming to give the dial patina :-) The other camp, as has been mentioned here, suggests to keep a tritium dial in as dark a place as possible, for the tirium to develop that creamy/reddish/orangy colour..

/M

Thread revival.
    Any recent views on the subject ? I have always been fascinated by the varying degrees of patina on watches from same age and same brand and differing patina on markers and hands.

Master
    Have a friend who wasn’t a fan of dark patina and searched for months for the right shade on a DRSD, finally got one and it was still a little dark for his taste so left it on a window sill in strong sunshine. Did the trick and he is now a happy bunny and the proud owner of a thin case DRSD with perfect patina for his taste.

Blog Entries
    Here’s my safe queen that’s been locked up in the dark for a number of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Reading this reminded me of Artisans de Genève's recent offering; tropical patina to order Daytona 6240s no less, as highlighted by frp422's thread.

Though, if I was going to be spending €30,000 it would be me that I would be ageing for 5-7 weeks in the Bahamas!

A fascinating subject, I just wish there was a definitive answer.
    I have a few with tritium, this one a L/E diving watch. My theory is the Chronograph hand which is closer to the light has turned the desired honey colour while the rest is kept wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I saw a setup in a post, the guy had heat lamps set up above Rolex Daytona dials, I assumed to "Patrizzi" them!
    Not sure if it was a spoof or not.
    C.
    I think I remember one such company based in the Caribbean that does something similar. Utterly ridiculous!

I picked up this NoS Lorenz from 1987 (I think) maybe 1988.

Can’t capture the beautiful way the lume has aged that creamy yellow look.
    Cal. 955.111 and a 503.305 Brevet case.

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Here’s my safe queen that’s been locked up in the dark for a number of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That saddens me so much... get it worn!!!