closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did your interest in watches infect your wife/partner?

Did your interest in watches infect your wife/partner?

Did your interest in watches infect your wife/partner?

Mine did – it cost me a Tank Francaise and my further interest looks like it may cost me one of those white Chanel jobbies as worn by a certain BBC news reader.

My shopping list is long, but I think hers may be longer. :shock:

Any similar experiences?

Re: Did your interest in watches infect your wife/partner?

Your sh!tting me, right? :D

Master

I was gladdly in the no camp until browsing the Omega site and now she wants one of these:

Not an effing bit :evil:

i bought her over a hundred watches over the years and she insists on wearing a £5 piece of crap from the watch box in meadowhall (the most expensive watch is about a tenner )
    i've just got a couple of hundred watches out and she's playing hell up with me (they're all over the bedroom floor :lol: )

john :P

Journeyman

She now wants a PP, but fortunately, in a size that doesn't exist. But she is making threatening noises about a Rolex Cellini!

Master

If you mean that she regards it as an illness, then yes.

Dave

Nope. She wears watches that I buy her (mostly a Baby-G or a PRS-10, with a PRS-15 for best), but otherwise humours me when required. Actually, most recently she has been wearing the freebie Submersible that Eddie sent out with the PRS-3LE, she loves it.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Nope. She wears watches that I buy her (mostly a Baby-G or a PRS-10, with a PRS-15 for best), but otherwise humours me when required. Actually, most recently she has been wearing the freebie Submersible that Eddie sent out with the PRS-3LE, she loves it.

Possible contradiction here - seems she has an interest without admitting it - best of both worlds it seems!

oh yes..she's into couples watch.. if i get a tag..she wants a lady's version...it's a good way to keep me away from any purchases.. :lol:

Oh yes.
    It started with a walk pass an AD 5 years ago and it triggered a spark in her.

And she managed to get her grail as a gift this year.

Master

I once bought my wife a vingate gold Rolex bubbleback - cost circa £2k. All she did was go on about the fact that it lost 30 seconds per day, and it was too big (it is about 32 mm). Eventually I sold it and gave here a £100 ladies Tag Heuer F1, which she is much happier with and worn it constantly for about 5 years.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeyes1974
    oh yes..she's into couples watch.. if i get a tag..she wants a lady's version...it's a good way to keep me away from any purchases.. :lol:
    Clearly a Machiavellian streak in your missus.

Dave

Journeyman

not at all :roll: :roll: :roll:

Craftsman

Not in the slightest. I replaced her crappy old Swatch watch a few years ago with a lovely little vintage Tisoot PRS516 which she wears all the time though.

Craftsman

Unfortunately yes :D She has now 4 watches and on her shopping list you can find now Cartier Pasha C and ... Date Just with salmon face :shock:

Journeyman

mine showed absolutely no interest whatsoever until she saw a Tank Francaise. She still thinks that one is enough, despite the fact that she now has four

My wife hates watches with a passion directly inverse to my love of them........in fact that the same of most things come to think of it... :!:

Definitely - since noticing my ever-growing collection she's been out and bought herself a little pink baby-g. It's also cost me a Tag pro for her christmas present :lol:

Yes. My interest in watches has infected my wife.

The symptoms she displays are clearly defined;
    She becomes irritable and crotchety, normally around the time when she finds out that I am about to buy a new one!!

(These symptoms can develop into a lowering of her sex drive, a reluctance to cook and an inability to converse in a polite and meaningful manner)

I am hoping that repeated exposure to the root cause of her discomfort will eventualy lead to a complete cure.

Craftsman

Not at all luckily she has no interest and I just get the sad look and the "oh I see you have bought another watch look" :lol:

Good thing is when I get asked is that new I can get away with the "oh I have had this ages you just havent noticed" :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes

She becomes irritable and crotchety, normally around the time when she finds out that I am about to buy a new one!!

(These symptoms can develop into a lowering of her sex drive, a reluctance to cook and an inability to converse in a polite and meaningful manner)

I am hoping that repeated exposure to the root cause of her discomfort will eventualy lead to a complete cure.

I'm not totally convinced that your solution will work -I wish you luck with it though :lol:

Well the downside of it is, it may cost me a marriage, but, on a positive note I'm building up a tidy collection of wristwatches :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blueone30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes

I'm not totally convinced that your solution will work -I wish you luck with it though :lol:
    Gotta agree, but I like your thinking Hobbes!

Most definitely.Whilst it is some distance from being a competition there is a little rivalry present that is conducive to claims and counter claims of relative merit regarding marques.

Craftsman

yeah, after many hours spent looking around dealers years ago, and shopping in NY, she developed a taste for "proper" mechanical watches and a took a shine to Zenith Star range and now wont have anything less ...dosent like jewelry type brands like a normal bird now ;)

F.T.F.A.

No - She has no interest in watches but is understanding about my collection, she does like wearing the hublot though....

Master

No, watches are not her 'thing' she says but happily wears either the Breil with MOP dial or one of Eddie's Mido Bodyguards I got her.

:sad11:

Journeyman

I reckon yes. I bought her a Casio Baby G fo Christmas 2008, as her Longines wasn't getting worn during the weekend. Then when I went to see (and ultimately) buy my Chronoris she took a fancy to (and bought) an Oris Artelier Diamond, which I have to say is lovely. She really wanted the Ladies Omega Aqua Terra with diamond battons and MOP face but that's ££££.

I was surprised however when this weekend she told me it's gaining 10 seconds a day. Firstly, that doesn't sound right for a new watch, and secondly I am impressed she noticed.

Banned

Mine did not until I bought her a Rolex datejust, she has worn it daily ever sinse 8)

My interest in watches hasn't infected my partner in the sense that she wants to buy watches for herself, but she certainly has an appreciation for nice watches and seems to "get" spending so much money on them. I thought about selling my Stowa MO earlier in the year and she surprised me by being very keen that I keep it - so she'd obviously become fond of seeing me wear it, even though the rationale for selling it was that it just wasn't getting wrist time.

I bought her a watch from the Longines Heritage collection (it was an out of the blue purchase in part just to mitigate against any grief about spending what I did on the Stowa!) and she loves it. Hers is a man's watch and she loves the positive comments it gets from men and women.

Fortunately she hasn't started wearing any of mine yet. A good friend's wife has pretty much cornered both his Heuer Silverstone and one of his Siffert Autavias...

So - shall we say watch interest is quite infectous!

However, is it an apprecaition for the touch/feel of a good watch rather than a picture or shop window that is infectous?

Actually I think in my wife's case there's a bit of justification for her own predication for handbags and shoes, which is in turn used to justify my own fondness for watches, cameras, gadgets and road bikes. :wink:

Master

Unfortunaley not! My wife does not understand my passion for watches.
    She thinks I have an obsession and that I spend more time thinking about watches rather than the family.
    I'm doing anything wrong am I?

Thankfully not very much. The less attention she pays to the comings & goings the better :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Yes, I guess it did, as she managed to secure a JLC Reverso Duetto for her 40th, which meant I couldn't afford what I wanted for mine (the Portuguese) until a year later :( . She's also inherited my JLC quartz dress watch, as it suits her more than it does me :shock: (too small ;) ).

Fortunately, however, she now seems happy with what she has, so I can spend the spare cash on my indulgences :twisted: !!!

Phil

Can't persuade mine to trade up from a Tag - I suppose I should be grateful, but if I could I'd have an excuse for a new watch myself! Anyway, thee's no chance of her accepting a mechanical or auto. However, I guess I'll never "get" the need for multiple bags and shoes.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Mine is interested, but like us believe it or not. She wrist spots on tv, knows a VC from a PP. I have an AP now. Sometimes she sees someone on tv with odd shape watch n wonders. She had Omega & lost it. Since she won't let me buy her an expensive one. At mo she's happy with one od Eddie's CWC's.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master

Yes, started when I bought her an old Omega Geneve auto ladies size with a blue dial for 80 quid from a local jewelers, she really likes that and has worn it most days for about 18 months now. Then I made 2 big mistakes. First I showed her a picture of a Rolex with a diamond dial, her eyes lit up, she asked me if I was going to buy it for her, I said no just wanted to see if she liked the look of the hideous mega bling gold and diamond Rolex jobs and she said yes, lovely :shock: . Now I am in trouble because apparently I wound he up because she thought she was about to get a mega bling Rolex . Next up I thought OK lets try a different approach so I got out my favourite watch, this Tudor 37mm size submariner

but now on its bracelet, really just to see if its true if subs on girls is a good look. I can say yes it is very 8) , and mrs NJH decided after about 30 seconds that its now her watch and I ain't getting it back :( . Still though it makes her happy which is all that matters. Still wants that mega bling diamond dial Rolex though, seriously guys you really don't want the mrs getting into watches its a surefire way to financial ruin :lol:

Not really. She has a few of her own, but she's more concerned about the look that anything. She can be just as happy with a "costume jewelry" type watch as a decent quality one if the look is right. She's more likely to discuss shoes or handbags than watches by far.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

When I met my missus she had more watches than me so, speaking on her behalf, yes :D
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

No.

Master

Yes....:thumbleft:

Dave

I have tried very hard to explain why a Sub with a bit of red writing is worth double the identical watch without and she just doesn't get it aaargggghhhhh :D

My wife totally hates my watch obsession. If I ever get caught on TZ-UK I'm usually in trouble

Master

Why let them know? :twisted: :lol:

Br,

AP. :D

Craftsman

Definately, I had a mid sized Omega Seamaster. Which over time I felt was to small for me, so the wife decided it would look cool. She is tiny so it looks really big on her. Then she wanted a dress watch and then she wanted something for work. So now she has 3 watches. Before she had a watch and bracelet set from NEXT £25. :cry:

Master
    Blog Entries

Well, she's taken an interet to the extent that she'll notice if I buy anything new :)

I bought an [original] PRS-3 some years ago for a grab & go watch, that has been commandeered by her as she finds the bezel very useful. I don't mind that, but I do miss the Omega mesh that she likes to wear it on [especially after I let slip it cost me about twice what the watch itself did...]

I've had to give her my lovely and treasured PAM 036 with it's delicate tobacco dial. So she goes around with that big puck and I'm stuck with my IWC 3536, ah well... love that AT. :-)