closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The Scots... got their own parliament, why not their own bloody time zone?
    Quote Originally Posted by BondandBigM
    Maybe we can save some money and disband ours if we have control of yours.

Now that would be funny :D

The Westminster Parliament will be "hung by a Scottish rope" if the Conservatives fail to get an overall majority at the general election, Alex Salmond, the nationalist party leader, has warned.
    There is a far more Cunning-Plan... :shock:

We Scots get Obama to fund a "Country-Swap" with Cuba! :)

That way, all the American-Scots get to visit their homeland on short-haul flights :) ... We get SUGAR for oor porrige :) ... And we'll see how Call-Me-Dave gets on with The Castros as neighbours. :D

Of course, we'll remain a Monarchy... King Billy with Queen Pammy (far better than King Alex the [s:yogg60g8]first[/s:yogg60g8]Nonce) and Frankie Boyls as Foreign Secretary. :P

It's a lot more practical than the alternative... Which is keep building the wind-farms and once we have enough we fire them all up and set course for The Bahamas.

Mike.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    If we joined CET, that would mean that Greenwich was never on GMT. Is it just me that thinks that this is very wrong?
    No, I agree. We didn't fight the French for 600 years to capitulate now.
    Ok, I'll let you continue the 100 years war without me, I've good friends in UK, like to travel in London and I'm very admirative of a lot of english things (won't do a list it would be too long). For the summer time/winter time, a 2006 study in France concluded that it was sparing 4% of the energy used for lighting, the equivalent of the total energy consumption of a 200 000 inhabitants town (like Nantes).
    So, yes it's boring, yes it's night early, yes kids wake up 1 hour earlier, but I think It's not a too heavy price to pay to reduce slightly our energy consommation (consomption ?).

Regards, Nicolas

P.S. Please don't crucify me, it's just a point of view :D

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Loddonite
    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer
    Yes, but you just have more time looking at Aberdeen. Are you saying that's a good thing?
    Qualify your negativity! Beautiful clean granite buildings, shiny Bentleys and Porsches everywhere, "Britain In Bloom" winners so often that we got banned from playing... ok so most of the women are dogs, you have a point
    I love Aberdeen. What's the name of that fantastic cheap-and-cheerful Italian restaurant where they have a lock-in every night and join all the tables together for dancing? I went there once about ten years ago and the experience was unforgettable (even if the actual name of the place wasn't! :lol:).

Blog Entries

Ye' turn up for battle like a Campbell! :evil:

Mike.
    Hmmmm, my mum being a Donald, maybe I should be cautious :twisted: :twisted:

My mother came from Black Stewart country. 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Don't worry... The danger is to Mac-Donalds, not Duck-Donalds. :lol:

Mike.

Its a pain but nice in the spring when it makes the evenings longer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Don't worry... The danger is to Mac-Donalds, not Duck-Donalds. :lol:

Mike.
    Is this where 'BigMac' originated ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by alcmeonide
    If we joined CET, that would mean that Greenwich was never on GMT. Is it just me that thinks that this is very wrong?
    Ok, I'll let you continue the 100 years war without me, I've good friends in UK, like to travel in London and I'm very admirative of a lot of english things (won't do a list it would be too long). For the summer time/winter time, a 2006 study in France concluded that it was sparing 4% of the energy used for lighting, the equivalent of the total energy consumption of a 200 000 inhabitants town (like Nantes).
    So, yes it's boring, yes it's night early, yes kids wake up 1 hour earlier, but I think It's not a too heavy price to pay to reduce slightly our energy consommation (consomption ?).

Regards, Nicolas

:D Thanks for not taking offence! I was only having a laugh. France and Britain are like an old couple in some ways - lots of old petty grudges, but plenty of real affection too.

At the same time, many cultures have a strange, perhaps even irrational liking for the things they are used to. That's how I feel about GMT :drunken:

I love Aberdeen. What's the name of that fantastic cheap-and-cheerful Italian restaurant where they have a lock-in every night and join all the tables together for dancing? I went there once about ten years ago and the experience was unforgettable (even if the actual name of the place wasn't! :lol:).
    LOL dunno! There's a few places do that, a Greek and Mexican place too, and nope i can't recall the names of them either, or even if they're still here. I don't get out much :lol:

Blog Entries

Already did, when went metric !!!!
    (much easier to handle though !)

Craftsman

Regards, Nicolas

:D Thanks for not taking offence! I was only having a laugh. France and Britain are like an old couple in some ways - lots of old petty grudges, but plenty of real affection too.

At the same time, many cultures have a strange, perhaps even irrational liking for the things they are used to. That's how I feel about GMT :drunken:
    You're right, I understand better, as GMT doesn't have any cultural importance for me (and I ignored it has abroad) I didn't really understood the background.

regards, Nicolas

If your interested Nicolas, heres a link;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

The John Harrison clock by the way, is an amzing bit of engineering, revolutionary for timekeeping and navigation around the world.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel

The John Harrison clock by the way, is an amzing bit of engineering, revolutionary for timekeeping and navigation around the world.
    Thanks for the link, really interesting and next time i'll go to London I'll try to see the clock of the Greenwich observatory. I knew the use of GMT for mariners all over the world but ignored that the generalisation for UK was so new (middle of XIXth century) and that it has such a cultural importance. I think like the meter in France (the boring Pavillon de Sèvres were school kids have to go to see nothing).

Regards, Nicolas

Master

The John Harrison clock by the way...
    ClockS (plural). :shock:

John Harrison built at least 5 clocks, 3 of which were "Marine-Timekeepers".

In addition he built two "Watches"... Three if you're a fan of Only Fools & Horses. :lol:

Mike.

Thanks for the link, really interesting and next time i'll go to London I'll try to see the clock of the Greenwich observatory.
    It's a must see place (actually it's spread over three sites) in London IMO, you could easily spend days in that area, plus the National Maritime Museum is nearby, a favourite of mine.

BTW, 4 days ago it was the 125th anniversary of the Greenwich meridian being recognised as the Prime Meridian of the World, zero degrees longitude. :thumbup:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Thanks, I'll go to see the observatory, for the Marine museum, I'll try it too. As I don't have a lot of time (business trips...) to visit, I'm always doing the same things : Bond Street, Jarmin Street (for shirts) and when I can the British Museum. I must discover others places,

regards, Nicolas

Master

LOL dunno! There's a few places do that, a Greek and Mexican place too, and nope i can't recall the names of them either, or even if they're still here. I don't get out much :lol:
    That would be Little Italy on Holburn St. Great craic, food is not bad either.

Was there for a works do a few years ago, 10pm dancing on the tables etc. funny thing was a boy who had taken a girl there, clearly a first date, to try an impress her. Come 1030 she was dancing on the works table I was with :D

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    That would be Little Italy on Holburn St. Great craic, food is not bad either. Was there for a works do a few years ago, 10pm dancing on the tables etc. funny thing was a boy who had taken a girl there, clearly a first date, to try an impress her. Come 1030 she was dancing on the works table I was with :D
    Thank you! I will definitely go out of my way to go there again. One of the most memorable restaurant "experiences" I have ever had. :)