closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 69

Thread: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

  1. #1

    Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I'd be happy to join it!
    What an antiquated %$"! annoyance it is ! Dozens of clocks and watches to adjust.
    Children wake up at 0500 instead of 0600 (which is bad enough)
    If your on nights when they go forward, your at work an hour longer!
    Scrap it!

  2. #2
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    55°N
    Posts
    15,959

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Couldn't agree more.

    The Scots are to blame, endlessly whinging that they have to hang their skirts out to dry in the dark. Well, they've got their own parliament, why not their own bloody time zone?

  3. #3

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I blame the railroads. Until they said they needed a country wide time in order to have a schedule where people could accurately predict when trains would arrive and depart, folks ran their lives on times that suited them locally. And, given all the trouble country wide time has caused, did we even get train schedules where we could accurately predict when trains would arrive and depart? Not so that you would notice.

    (I'm pleased to report that some places have held out against this modern garbage. My college, for example, still has its own time, which is about 5 minutes ahead of earth time.)

    Best wishes,
    Bob

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Harrogate
    Posts
    3,084

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I blame the railroads. Until they said they needed a country wide time in order to have a schedule where people could accurately predict when trains would arrive and depart, folks ran their lives on times that suited them locally. And, given all the trouble country wide time has caused, did we even get train schedules where we could accurately predict when trains would arrive and depart? Not so that you would notice.

    (I'm pleased to report that some places have held out against this modern garbage. My college, for example, still has its own time, which is about 5 minutes ahead of earth time.)

    Best wishes,
    Bob
    at work my customers watches can be 45 mins fast.....

  5. #5

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I'm not expecting too much sympathy for this :wink: but working in the Indian Ocean is a PITA as the islands there each have their own time, which can be up to 3 hrs different from the official time and never seems to coincide with the immerdiate neighbouring island. :roll:

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The Scots are to blame, endlessly whinging that they have to hang their skirts out to dry in the dark.
    And the Geordies... They demand it 'cos they think the pubs'll stay open an hour longer. In fairness though, for Geordies it's a stark choice; Stay in the pub or go home to their near-Women.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Well, they've got their own parliament, why not their own bloody time zone?
    We already do... As trains from Edinburgh pass Morpeth and slow for Newcastle, passengers getting off there are quietly advised to set their watches back 60 years.

    Seriously..?

    Yes. It's a nonsense. We should stay on CET, perhaps even going to EET in the summer (I think that was tried in the early 1970's. The Scottish attitude is that you only have a certain number of daylight hours. What you call them's academic. There's nothing to stop local schools (for example) starting an hour later. When to milk cows isn't dependent on a specific hour... Cows don't wear watches (Except Cheryl Tweedie and her Geordie ilk). So what we call the daylight hours should simply be used to minimise energy consumption. And there's the core of the issue. Do we have daylight at 7.30-8am when people are getting up to go to work (and energy consumption rises)?.. Or do we try to stretch daylight to early evening when people are coming home? Moscow-Time, anyone?

    Mike.

  7. #7

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I'm not expecting too much sympathy for this :wink: but working in the Indian Ocean is a PITA as the islands there each have their own time, which can be up to 3 hrs different from the official time and never seems to coincide with the immerdiate neighbouring island. :roll:

    R
    I'm happy to meet your expectations. ;)

    Best wishes,
    Bob

  8. #8

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I think TZ should start the campaign! Radio 4 had a brilliant spot on this very thing last week and it highlighted that more english children are killed in the evening every year due to walking home in the dark due to the clocks. Looking at truency levels in the North it wouldnt be such a problem up there as they are all staying in bed anyway!!!!

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by thusspoke
    ...start the campaign! Radio 4 had a brilliant spot...
    I'd agree... But it'll only start Alec Salmond banging on about Scotland joining Norway, Sweden, Finland etc... again and I honestly couldn't be-arsed listening to that drivel again. :cry:

    Quote Originally Posted by thusspoke
    ... english children are killed in the evening every year due to walking home in the dark due to the clocks.
    As opposed to being killed in the morning walking to school in the dark?.. Anyway, I understood that even moderately valued English children were chauffered to school and back in Range-Rovers!

    Quote Originally Posted by thusspoke
    Looking at truency levels in the North it wouldnt be such a problem up there as they are all staying in bed anyway!!!!
    Really?.. Where were you on the days your fellow pupils were taught to spell words like truancy?

    Anyone know what other countries over 50N do? Are there any which reduce school hours in winter and increase in summer?

    Mike.

  10. #10

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by miked10270

    Anyone know what other countries over 50N do? Are there any which reduce school hours in winter and increase in summer?

    Mike.
    Kids are needed on the farm in the summer. That's why school happens in the winter.

    Best wishes,
    Bob

  11. #11
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Yet again. This argument has been going on for decades. I'll vote for anything that annoys Southerners.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Yet again. This argument has been going on for decades. I'll vote for anything that annoys Southerners.
    There's a thought.

    While Scotland & The North remains on "Greenwich Mean Time" (GMT), Southern England can change to something suitably French like "Paris Mean Time" (PMT) to go with their moaning, or even some "English Extrapolated-Jovian Internal-Time Standard" (EEJITS)!

    Mike.

  13. #13

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Strangely I didnt predict or intend to become a spat about where anyone lives guys.
    I really do think its a sound idea to either join or start a campaign, I dont hear many if any supporting this antiquated time change malarky.....

  14. #14
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I'm quite happy to support the Scots. Change only if there's a damned good reason not because of the City of London. We're a Union, not London and The Rest.

  15. #15

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I agree, I wouldnt support anything just because it benefits London, it should benefit everyone. And why wouldnt it!

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Us Scots are famously dour. You would not improve our demeanour by depriving us of what little daylight we have for five months of the year.

    Dave

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Strangely I didnt predict or intend to become a spat about where anyone lives guys.
    It's not a spat is it?.. :shock: Being the George & Dragon some of us can't resist a bit of FRIENDLY racism. :lol: No offence intended nor received.


    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    I really do think its a sound idea to either join or start a campaign, I dont hear many if any supporting this antiquated time change malarky.....
    No-one really does. There's absolutely NO aspect of this time change which couldn't be achieved far more easily in other ways:

    1. The "Farmers-Milking" argument is bollocks. Cows do NOT require to be milked at a specific hour. Cows can't tell the time. What "may" be required is dairy processing being re-scheduled through the year.

    OR... Farmers & farms being equipped with an artificial light source! Perhaps some incandescent device(s) powered by a form of electromagnetic energy? Could there be such a thing? :roll:

    2. The "Kids-To-School" argument is similarly solved by a change of school hours between winter and summer with kids starting later (or finishing earlier). Maybe shorter school hours (by an hour) in the 4 winter months with a corresponding lengthening of the school day in the summer?

    From there, all we have to do is pick a time-zone... And invade Christ Church College to enforce a time zone regime-change!

    Mike.

  18. #18
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    2. The "Kids-To-School" argument is similarly solved by a change of school hours between winter and summer with kids starting later (or finishing earlier). Maybe shorter school hours (by an hour) in the 4 winter months with a corresponding lengthening of the school day in the summer?
    That raises huge issues for parents and child-care and the times they start work themselves since it seems everyone drives their kids to school these days (I'd ban that for most but that's another topic).

  19. #19

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Great thread,

    To all the Scots who are becoming a tad irate please remember that the clocks were changed for the Scottish, so large proportion of the Uk are dicing with death on the school run and suffering with sleep deprived cows so the the farmers in Scotland are OK....

    I am all for a time zone change at Morpeth...............as I seem to paying for all the hospital parking, dentist fees and tuition fees for the scots with shorter days I might get a rebate................... :D

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    2. The "Kids-To-School" argument is similarly solved by a change of school hours between winter and summer with kids starting later (or finishing earlier). Maybe shorter school hours (by an hour) in the 4 winter months with a corresponding lengthening of the school day in the summer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    That raises huge issues for parents and child-care and the times they start work themselves since it seems everyone drives their kids to school these days (I'd ban that for most but that's another topic).
    But hardly insoluble given Breakfast-Clubs, After-School clubs, etc...

    Where BOTH parents work, the school day is already significantly shorter than the adult working day. This is only a change of WHERE the working day extends beyond the school day.

    Where either parent doesn't work, the problem doesn't exist.

    And yeah... Living near a school myself, I'd love for someone to invent a "Non-Resident-Tyre-Cutter" device! :evil:

    Mike.

  21. #21
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Of course, the UK is not part of Central Europe and never will be. To join CET would fuel the anti-EU debate even further.
    We tried it about 25 years ago, a three-year trial IIRC. I do forget why it was abandoned. Anyone remember?

  22. #22
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,938

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    If we joined CET, that would mean that Greenwich was never on GMT. Is it just me that thinks that this is very wrong?
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Sod the schoolkids issue. It seems like they only go to school about two hours a day anyway these days. Not like my young day when we would be up to milk the cows in the dark before doing a paper round, chopping firewood then starting school at 7.30 . Or am I getting confused with a Dickens book.

    Anyway it's us poor bloody wage slaves it affects.

    Dave

  24. #24
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    13,227

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    i am for dst every october when i gain an hour in bed, and against it every spring when i lose an hours kip!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  25. #25
    Master lysanderxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Posts
    6,022

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    The sad thing is, it all started as a joke.

    While living in Paris as US Envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin wrote a satirical essay in 1784. In it, he proposed waking an hour earlier economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight, taxing shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. He was making fun of the fact that he found Parisians rather lacking in fixed schedules, something he was used to the North America.

    Then a New Zealand bug-lover, who happened to work on a shift schedule, wanted to have more hours in the summer evenings after work to search for bugs wrote a paper, which caught on with a rich Londoner who liked to play golf all day and seemed to think if the sun went down a 9:00 pm instead of 8:00 pm, he'd have an extra hour to a swat little white ball over the fields. From there in when down hill...

  26. #26
    Master ingenioren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W Sussex & Girona
    Posts
    5,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Interesting that in Scandinavia we all cope very well with CET, but the Scots consider it's unreasonable ??? surely they're not THAT delicate - or are they ? :twisted:

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Interesting that in Scandinavia we all cope very well with CET, but the Scots consider it's unreasonable ??? surely they're not THAT delicate - or are they ? :twisted:
    It's not so much a matter of delicacy, as a matter of being some 15 DEGREES WEST of Scandinavia! :shock:

    Therefore, we prefer our Time-Zone to be about an hour behind Scandinavia's.

    Your suggestion is equivalent to telling Stockholm they should be on Moscow-Time! :?

    Mike.

    Edited to add:

    Aberdeen: 2:06'W

    Glasgow: 4:20'W

    Edinburgh: 3:15'W

    ====================================

    Oslo: 10:30'E

    Copenhagen: 12:30'E

    Stockholm: 18:00'E

    Helsinki: 25:00'E

    Mike.

  28. #28
    Master ingenioren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W Sussex & Girona
    Posts
    5,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Interesting that in Scandinavia we all cope very well with CET, but the Scots consider it's unreasonable ??? surely they're not THAT delicate - or are they ? :twisted:
    It's not so much a matter of delicacy, as a matter of being some 15 DEGREES WEST of Scandinavia! :shock:

    Therefore, we prefer our Time-Zone to be about an hour behind Scandinavia's.

    Your suggestion is equivalent to telling Stockholm they should be on Moscow-Time! :?

    Mike.
    Not quite, France and Spain seem cope similarly well !!!!!
    ( or are we now jumping to North / South ... :wink: .?)

  29. #29
    Master Matt London's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    1,149

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Thats it! I am going up to Watford, cutting the tow-line and setting you lot adrift :twisted:

    All in the name of friendly banter of course :)

    Matt

  30. #30
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    We could just call it Euro Time and see how popular that is. :twisted:

  31. #31

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I agree in the name of friendly banter Scotland should consider herself adrift and we can set our timepieces to CET..horahh

    Job done!! Who shall we get to tell the dourest Scot of the lot............Gordon B

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    You can always vote with your watch and not bother adjusting it for last night's change!

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Interesting that in Scandinavia we all cope very well with CET, but the Scots consider it's unreasonable ???..
    Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    [Scotland].. being some 15 DEGREES WEST of Scandinavia! :shock:

    Therefore, we prefer our Time-Zone to be about an hour behind Scandinavia's.

    Your suggestion is equivalent to telling Stockholm they should be on Moscow-Time! :?
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Not quite, France and Spain seem cope similarly well !!!!!
    ( or are we now jumping to North / South ... :wink: .?)
    You seem to be! When did France & Spain become part of Scandanavia? :lol:

    Scotland's and Scandanavia's cities are on broadly the same latitude (high 50's North). As you know, the higher the latitude, the greater effect on the shortness of winter days, so the more critical the time-zone.

    Given that you argue Scandinavia is right to be on CET, you automatically argue that Scotland & most of England is right to be on GMT.

    Now... Please stop pretending you don't understand! :P

    Mike.

  34. #34
    Master ingenioren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W Sussex & Girona
    Posts
    5,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    SO, you also watched 'Have got news for you' :mrgreen:

    No, I am not claiming 'right' but am saying UK is based SOUTH of most of Norway/Sweden and EAST of parts of France and Spain, whom are all on CET - and all cope well with that, hence consider it would be more logical to be on CET also in the UK. ???
    :wink:

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    SO, you also watched 'Have got news for you' :mrgreen:
    Yeah... :D What a line to close a debate. :lol:

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    No, I am not claiming 'right' but am saying UK is based SOUTH of most of Norway/Sweden...
    South in terms of most of the landmass but I'd say North England & Scotland are about level with the overwhelming scandinavian population. Once you get into Northern Scandinavia there's so little Winter daylight it doesn't matter what they call it!


    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    and EAST of parts of France and Spain, whom are all on CET...
    Spain is at a far lower latitude with far more winter daylight, so can continue to take advantage of the "Daylight-Savings" that CET gives them. Incidentally Portugal is on GMT and the change causes no problems at the border (suggesting that this argument is wholly academic).

    France really SHOULD be on GMT... But even recently they preferred to call it; "Paris-Mean-Time-Retarded-By-Nine-Minutes-&-Twenty-Three-Seconds"!!!... Also, it would mean the Germans having to adjust their watches every time they invade! :roll:

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    ... consider it would be more logical to be on CET also in the UK. ???
    :wink:
    It really doesn't matter outwith the field of racist banter -- It's not what a time is called, it's what happens at that time. Hence my belief that it would make more sense for schedules to be adjusted to account for the length of the day rather than sliding abstract numbers around. Solar time has a relevance, Daylight-Saving time is a convenience.

    Mike.

  36. #36
    Master ingenioren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    W Sussex & Girona
    Posts
    5,348
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    S'pose depends on what you prefer, darker mornings, or darker afternoons ?? :wink:

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    S'pose depends on what you prefer, darker mornings, or darker afternoons ?? :wink:
    Yeah... That's about it. Right now we (Scots, North English & Southern Scandinavians) have about 10 hours of daylight. That'll drop to about 7.5 hours by Winter Solstice. What we "call" those hours is dependent on what our convention dictates should happen during those hours.

    Do we want it to be daylight between 8am & 4pm, or 9am & 5pm? Is it even worth sliding the numbers around bi-annually, or would it be easier to slide a schedule around?.. Shorter school / work days in winter versus longer school / work days in summer?

    Mike.

  38. #38

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    We could just call it Euro Time and see how popular that is. :twisted:
    It will probably soon be renamed "TBT" (Tony Blair Time) :)

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minehead, UK
    Posts
    7,605

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    In 1968, the clocks went forward as usual in March, but in the autumn, they did not return to Greenwich Mean Time. Britain had entered a three-year experiment, confusingly called British Standard Time, and stayed one hour ahead of Greenwich until 1971.
    When the British Standard Time experiment ended, the Home Office carried out an exhaustive review to find out whether it had been successful. The answer was both yes and no. There were ‘pros and cons’ to having the clocks forward and, on balance, the Government decided to return to the original British Summer Time :D

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper
    In 1968, the clocks went forward as usual in March, but in the autumn, they did not return to Greenwich Mean Time. Britain had entered a three-year experiment, confusingly called British Standard Time, and stayed one hour ahead of Greenwich ...
    Wasn't there a sub-experiment with "Double-Summer-Time" (EET) in among that? Unfortunately I'm too young to remember clearly.

    Mike.

  41. #41
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,654

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    I think there was. Too long ago now to remember. Didn't they use it during the War?

  42. #42

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    This is a subject I know diddly-squat about, so as a starter I looked it up on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time and came away with more questions than answers :shock:

    But it's motivated me to find out more!

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  43. #43
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    27,370

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer :D

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    949

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer :D
    Yes, but you just have more time looking at Aberdeen. Are you saying that's a good thing? :mrgreen:

  45. #45
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    27,370

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loddonite
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer :D
    Yes, but you just have more time looking at Aberdeen. Are you saying that's a good thing? :mrgreen:
    Qualify your negativity !!!! :evil: :D

    Beautiful clean granite buildings, shiny Bentleys and Porsches everywhere, "Britain In Bloom" winners so often that we got banned from playing....

    ....ok so most of the women are dogs, you have a point :lol:

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer :D
    Great! :evil:

    WHERE THE FECK WERE YOU FOR THE LAST 12 HOURS!!? READ THE THREAD! I'VE BEEN FIGHTING A REARGUARD ACTION AGAINST THE ENGLISH bastards SINCE 10AM!!! :shock:

    Was it still dark up there!? :idea:

    Ye' turn up for battle like a Campbell! :evil:

    Mike.

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,693

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    If we joined CET, that would mean that Greenwich was never on GMT. Is it just me that thinks that this is very wrong?
    No, I agree. We didn't fight the French for 600 years to capitulate now.

  48. #48

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Couldn't agree more.

    The Scots are to blame, endlessly whinging that they have to hang their skirts out to dry in the dark. Well, they've got their own parliament, why not their own bloody time zone?
    Maybe we can save some money and disband ours if we have control of yours.



    Now that would be funny :D


    The Westminster Parliament will be "hung by a Scottish rope" if the Conservatives fail to get an overall majority at the general election, Alex Salmond, the nationalist party leader, has warned.

  49. #49
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    27,370

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Look yee Sootherners are all just jealous cos we get daylight till near midnight in summer :D
    Great! :evil:

    WHERE THE FECK WERE YOU FOR THE LAST 12 HOURS!!? READ THE THREAD! I'VE BEEN FIGHTING A REARGUARD ACTION AGAINST THE ENGLISH bastards SINCE 10AM!!! :shock:

    Was it still dark up there!? :idea:

    Ye' turn up for battle like a Campbell! :evil:

    Mike.
    LOL! Hey, better late than never :D

    I though you were English Mike, from around the NE area :?:

  50. #50
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife.
    Posts
    3,465

    Re: Is there an 'againt daylight saving' campaign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The Scots... got their own parliament, why not their own bloody time zone?
    Quote Originally Posted by BondandBigM
    Maybe we can save some money and disband ours if we have control of yours.

    Now that would be funny :D


    The Westminster Parliament will be "hung by a Scottish rope" if the Conservatives fail to get an overall majority at the general election, Alex Salmond, the nationalist party leader, has warned.
    There is a far more Cunning-Plan... :shock:

    We Scots get Obama to fund a "Country-Swap" with Cuba! :)

    That way, all the American-Scots get to visit their homeland on short-haul flights :) ... We get SUGAR for oor porrige :) ... And we'll see how Call-Me-Dave gets on with The Castros as neighbours. :D

    Of course, we'll remain a Monarchy... King Billy with Queen Pammy (far better than King Alex the [s:3nbnle0u]first[/s:3nbnle0u]Nonce) and Frankie Boyle as Foreign Secretary. :P

    It's a lot more practical than the alternative... Which is keep building the wind-farms and once we have enough we fire them all up and set course for The Bahamas.

    Mike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information