closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch from year of birth

Watch from year of birth

Has anyone ever specifally looked for (and bought) a watch from his year of birth, as a kind of memento?

If so, did it turn out to be interesting?

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Watch from year of birth

Yup I had the pleasure of owning a '75 Seiko 6159-7010, SUPERB watch!

Master

Yeah I think it's something every WIS has to do at some point so that it can be "ticked off the list". Bought myself a nice 1969 Speedmaster Pro earlier this year and yes it does feel more special because it's a birth year. :D

It gets to be quite an interesting pastime, especially when movements are often a year or two old before they are cased and sold, does the case or the movement count as your birth-year? Nice and easy with Seiko of course with their, generally, easy to decode serial numbers.
    Have fun looking.

Regards

Peter

Craftsman

I want to but a) don't want to spend a fortune and b) am not sure what I want. 1967, so subs etc are out under a)...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jneds
    Yeah I think it's something every WIS has to do at some point so that it can be "ticked off the list". Bought myself a nice 1969 Speedmaster Pro earlier this year and yes it does feel more special because it's a birth year. :D
    Born in the "Summer of Love" eh?

Sorry for a quick hijack, but what would anyone suggest from 1965 for someone who doesn't like wabi?

Any 44 year old "safe queens" out there? (perhaps I should re-phrase that :? )

Mike Wood if you are reading this can you suggest anything? I would PM you, but I wouldn't stand the suspense :lol:

Craftsman

Been idly looking around for a birth year watch for a while, not a lot of desirable (to me) stuff around from 1958, will probably end up with a Omega Seamaster or Connie if I can find the right one (I'm fussy and it would have to fairly minty). Not a top priority, but deffo something I want to get hold of sooner or later.

Master

I found, quite by accident, a beautiful little 1954 18 carat gold Omega. I had it for a couple of years and rarely wore it as I am a porky bugger and it was a 34mm size watch. Like a fool I sold it and have never seen another 1954 watch of any type, let alone such a classic as the Omega.

When you do finally get your birth year watch, learn from my mistake and don't let it go.

Rob

I was born in 1963. How do you go about finding a 1963 watch. Surfing the web?

Yep, bought a Smiths sterling silver cushion-cased watch hallmarked for Birmingam where, in fact, I was born; so not just a birthyear watch but a birthplace one as well!

Quote Originally Posted by cruz
    I was born in 1963. How do you go about finding a 1963 watch. Surfing the web?
    Search the watches and jewellery category of ebay (worldwide) using '1963' as your keyword, you'll be surprised at what comes up. For example, Russian watches usually have the quarter and year of manufacture on the movement, so lots of Poljots and Raketas. Also, Omega and Rolex are easy to date, so sellers usually tell you in their ad'.

Craftsman

I've been thinking about it lately, and went looking for a pre moon with no luck. :cry:

Visited London a while ago and walked through the Burlington Arcade. One shop there, I forget the name, just sells vintage watches and makes a big deal of birth year watches - their whole window display is mainly Rolexes with a little placard of the year they were produced. Bad news though - really, really, expensive prices !

Regards,
    Nick

I've been looking for a watch from 1976 for a while now, but have not really decided on any specific model. At the moment, I have my eyes on a Seiko Bullhead, but this could change as I learn more about 70s watches.

I think it's a journey that's well worth undertaking. Lead me to a lovely '73 Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II Exotic dial. :thumbup:

Took me a while, visiting most of the shops on Burlington Arcade, Strand, Bond St, etc but ATG Vintage Watches eventually sorted me out!

M

Bought this '62 Longines as a Father's Day gift a couple of years back:

I bought a Wittnauer watch made for the 1972 Munich olympic games from eabay some months back. I liked the colours on the bezel (black, yellow and red from the W German flag, together wit the green the football team used to have for their away strip) - but clincher was my birth year. I'll post a pic sometime. Buying a special event watch means you probably get you birthyear on the dial.

Journeyman

I am actuallt looking for one, The one that is on my wish list is an 76s Sekio white helmet, super cool watch to a good price.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

I want a 1972 Royal Oak, but not a chance in hell.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Often thought about buying the perfect 1974 watch. It'd be a good reason to find the *right* 5513 Submariner. Does anyone know if they were still making the Siffer Autavia three years after he died? That'd be on the list too.

My son is 21 in february 2010.
    I thought a birthyear (1989) watch would be an ideal present, and gave myself nearly a year to find one.

One Finally appeared in august, right year, right watch, right price. A rolex sub date. Box and papers etc.
    He hasn't a clue about it, and i've worn it a few times. Just to check if it's all running ok you understand :D

Been looking out for a watch for my birth year (1958) but the watches that interest me are to expensive and possibly not up to being used as everyday wearers, and i don't like keeping watches tucked away in boxes.

Craftsman

I have a few from 1967. It actually started by accident (familiar story?) as I bought a really nice chrono, and then found out it was a '67. Then found another interesting one, turned out also to be a '67. Then the bug bit, and I actively looked for a couple (a Speedy and a Sub). All the others from that year I'd have bought whether they were '67 watches or nor - just liked them.
    If I had to nominate a '67 watch to keep, it'd be the Speedy.

When funds allow I'm looking to get an Accutron Spaceview from 1965, billed as the most accurate watch at the time plus looks unusual, interesting and a bit weird!

Journeyman

Something from 1972? maybe a seiko chronograph...

Master

This is mine, a 1968 Omega Geneve.

Quote Originally Posted by tms
    I've been looking for a watch from 1976 for a while now, but have not really decided on any specific model. At the moment, I have my eyes on a Seiko Bullhead, but this could change as I learn more about 70s watches.
    I'm the same year too and have been tempted by the Seiko Bullhead's, the Seiko 6105-8110 Diver and as a more affordable option the Seiko Helmet.

Problem with being a Baby Boomer, there weren't many good watches made in the post war years. :(

Been looking for one from 1947 for a long time. Thought I'd got one a year or so back, but the hallmark turned out to be 48.

Close, but no coconut. :twisted:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

A while back I had a choice of a 1968 or 69 Smiths navigator's watch, so chose the '68 just because it was a great year to be born.

Craftsman

Here's mine, a '62 Seamaster according to the movement serial number, no idea when it was actually sold though.

I do have a '58 Seamaster with the original boxes, guarnantee and receipt dating the sale to September 26 1958. Not a significant date for me and it's not the prettiest watch in the world but I do like the idea of having a little time capsule.

Cheers

Ian :)

I've just started looking for something from 1961. Rolex of this vintage are a bit pricy but it seems that an Omega Seamaster is a possibility and available at a reasonable price. Trouble is I'm fussy and every watch in my collection has its original box so chances of finding one of this vintage with box and papers is slim to say the least. Anyway I'm not an expert on this period (or any other!) so would welcome suggestions on any other classics that I might consider.

Thanks

Craftsman

I have one by accident, not sure of its actual sale date, but it was introduced in my birth year (76) so its an example of what Omega were doing that year.

I do however want another, and its this beauty.

Looking for something from '58 probably an Omega or IWC but nothing has bitten me yet

A nice affordable one, unfortunately I dont buy watches anymore:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/VINTAGE-LONGINES-DOU ... .m63.l1177

Interesting idea buying a birth year watch however, I have not managed to find a watch from 1965 which I like and can afford. Any suggestions for a '65 cheapish (less than £100) watch

Journeyman

They only had sun dials when I was born and they dont look great on the wrist