closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best value for money - buying in the US

Craftsman

Best value for money - buying in the US

On my way to the US on a business trip (North Carolina) in a month or two. Any suggestions on the best value watch for the relatively cheap US $? I have been thinking about Rolex, a sports model, or perhaps an Omega Speedmaster, but I am open to suggestions.

Are there any good rebates to be found in the US these days?

Thanks!

Journeyman

Re: Best value for money - buying in the US

Just wondering, do you not have to add tax when you are coming back from the US to Sweden? Despite the really good exchange rate USD/EUR, after adding tax unfortunately most watches are not really cheaper in US :(

Craftsman

He could wear the watch on his wrist, and send the box etc home via DHL or UPS or something.

Craftsman

I'm assuming you mean a new watch. You can avoid any sales tax in NC if you buy from an out-of-state AD and get the watch sent to you (hotel or whatever) in NC. You can probably find additional suggestions for good AD's by asking at an appropriate watch forum. It's not unheard of to get 30% of MSRP. Of course, I'll let you decide how to deal with the swedish import taxes.

Craftsman

I got a really good deal on a Tag Heuer aquaracer for my Wife,and saved around £300 quid! My other aquisition is an Anonimo Hi Dive,was delighted with the watch and price Tag!

There are some real bargains on used Rolex watches to be had with the current exchange rate. Sports models for $3000 and less....saw a post the other day from a dealer with 2 black Explorer II in his window for $2100 each :shock: (£1400)..so I'd start looking at the US based forums to see what is out there. Best of luck.

Craftsman

Thanks everyone, will do some looking around! :)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flomatic
    Just wondering, do you not have to add tax when you are coming back from the US to Sweden? Despite the really good exchange rate USD/EUR, after adding tax unfortunately most watches are not really cheaper in US :(
    Yes, you do. You can evade (not avoid) it by not declaring it, which is a risk you take. I'd happily take it for that sort of coin but I would be very wary of bringing the boxes/papers back with me, even in checked luggage. Better to post them, as already suggested.

You save a lot, taking this risk. Swedish VAT is 25%, and there's standard EU duty too, at around 4%.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Agreed about sending back the box and papers per USPS.
    If you wear the watch on your wrist, and have no box or sales ticket with you, there is no risk at all.
    How would a custom officer be able to prove you bought it in NC?!

And consider two ways: buying a watch you love and will keep or buying a watch you like and keep a good resale value.
    In the second scenario, if you like Rolex, go for DateJust. Some preowned are going for less than 2.000$ localy.
    With the end of the fashion around big watches, the 36-40 MM will come back as they always do.

No so small is it?

All the best
    Stephane

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by pabr
    On my way to the US on a business trip (North Carolina) in a month or two. Any suggestions on the best value watch for the relatively cheap US $? I have been thinking about Rolex, a sports model, or perhaps an Omega Speedmaster, but I am open to suggestions.

Are there any good rebates to be found in the US these days?

Thanks!
    I was in NY in August, and I was a bit disapointed.
    I guess that most of the swiss brands have increased their price to compensate the dollar rate.

I don't know the value of the Swedish currency, but I think that the bargain are to be made on second hands watches, more on new one.

For all the rest, my advise is : go there with an empty suitcase. 8)

I have heard of customs officers taking the details of returning travellers and investigating their credit card records after return. A large amount going to a US jeweller on a credit card statement can lead to a retrospective bill.

Pay cash!

Quote Originally Posted by RolexSteph
    With the end of the fashion around big watches, the 36-40 MM will come back as they always do.
    No so small is it?

All the best
    Stephane
    Stephane
    Is that a 1500 series or a 1600?? (i.e. 34mm 0r 36mm)
    I have a 1500 series which I love that looks exactly the same, but I've never seen the 1600 with the smooth bezel and simple dial.
    Really nice.
    Oh and I agree with you totally about the sizes of watches.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    I was in NY in August, and I was a bit disapointed.
    I guess that most of the swiss brands have increased their price to compensate the dollar rate.
    Omega has as far as I am aware not increased its prices for a while, but for those who are interested, there is an Omega price increase rumoured to happen soon here in the US. So if OP is planning to order an omega from an AD, I'd do it sooner rather than later.

BTW, shopping watches in NYC is not always the cheapest thing to do. Sales taxes are pretty high, and it's not always the best place to negotiate discounts (e.g. I was recently offered a 15% discount at an AD here, but could get 30% in an out-of-state AD - and at the same time avoid the 8% sales tax).

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by gerard
    No so small is it?
    All the best
    Stephane
    Stephane
    Is that a 1500 series or a 1600?? (i.e. 34mm 0r 36mm)
    I have a 1500 series which I love that looks exactly the same, but I've never seen the 1600 with the smooth bezel and simple dial.
    Really nice.
    Oh and I agree with you totally about the sizes of watches.
    It's a 1600 but the bezel is not original :o
    I have the original one but I always wanted a smooth bezel DJ...
    Now, having said that, I think I'll send it to a watchsmith to try it with the flutted one :lol:

Depending on how long you are there. You could do this. Look on Ebay from traders with a strong rating and pick up a GMT Pepsi or Coke, then pay by creditcard and get them to ship it to your hotel. Wear it home, it will not be used and there is no way they could prove you bought it there and did not take it with you. Not only that, these watches are going for good money in the US right now and you have a collectors item that will only increase in value now discontinued. Go for a 2004 onwards solid end link model without the lug holes, these were only produced for a few years and are no more. Bezel inserts to change the look can be bought for 30 quid a piece or less.

don't know how it is in sweden or the uk, but a friend off mine had a horror story;after stating that he bought his (rather new) watch in the EU he had to leave his watch at the customs office untill he could prove VAT was payed in the EU via an invoice stating VAT. This was @ schiphol, amsterdam..

Quote Originally Posted by thedontheniro
    don't know how it is in sweden or the uk, but a friend off mine had a horror story;after stating that he bought his (rather new) watch in the EU he had to leave his watch at the customs office untill he could prove VAT was payed in the EU via an invoice stating VAT. This was @ schiphol, amsterdam..

I have travelled back from the US and mid -east at least 50 times and never been stopped by customs nor seen anybody stopped by customs. The chances of being stopped must be incredibly low?

Master

Step-By-Step:

1: Fly out to US. Wear cheapie on flight.

2. Buy (Platinum-Diamond-Encrusted-Rolex) watch & place on wrist.

3. Pack box in checked luggage with cheapie.

4. Mail papers, etc... in a Christmas card ('tis the season to be smugglin') USPS Global Priority - not insured. If they're lost, phone the supplier for replacements.

4. IF YOU ARE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION then 50ug Amitryptiline of 20Mg Fluoxetine (Prozac) to mask your body language.

5. Fly Home... Chill! :) They're more worried about shoe-bombers than one-off watch smugglers.

Customs aren't so bothered about someone who "enjoys a perk of international travel" (JobsWorth Exclusion applies).

Mike.

Agreed about sending back the box and papers per USPS.
    If you wear the watch on your wrist, and have no box or sales ticket with you, there is no risk at all.
    How would a custom officer be able to prove you bought it in NC?!

... or buying a watch you like and keep a good resale value.

All the best
    Stephane
    ... he does not have to - burden of proof is upon you. Unless you can present documents showing that you bought the watch within the EU or have already paid VAT and import duty on it, you have a problem. I don't know about UK but in Germany the minimum fine is twice the regular VAT+ import duty. And, yes, there are checks and people get caught (I remember, for example, Michael Ballack and one of the Klitschkos as some high-profile cases) - risk might be low, but you can be made liable for up to 10 years after the intial purchase (at least in Germany).

Also keep in mind, that resale value will be lower if you have no papers or non-EU papers without import documentation. Especially with Rolex there is a certain "country code" awareness. And I would never buy one without proper papers (vintage is a different story).

Cheers,
    Christian

Blog Entries

Let's be careful what we say here. It is entirely possible that there are customs agents involved in this and other forums who may well gain brownie points or a commission if they report possible 'smuggling' activities.

In the Netherlands you pay import tax, even for used watches ! Same in the UK?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    5. Fly Home... Chill! :) They're more worried about shoe-bombers than one-off watch smugglers.
    More worried about box-ticking, aren't they? If they were worried about shoebombers I cannot think why they would have partially strip-searched a retired couple from Devon in front of me last time I forced myself to go through an airport.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!