closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Post Strike What Now ?

Post Strike What Now ?

OK Guys

anyone got any alternatives to RMSD for sending watches etc just in case the service gets scuppered :shock:

Master

Re: Post Strike What Now ?

Courier companies I'm afraid (Fed-Ex etc)

Bought another watch this afternoon and the dealer actually suggested Fed-Ex rather than RMSD.

To make matters worse there are 3 more strike days planned just for next week
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8320971.stm

Rm is delivering RMSD as usuall during the srikes. They need to. Its the only mail which is delivered

got my rmsd a day late today , was meant to arrive yesterday and ended up stuck in a sorting office

turned up this morning , wasnt expecting it till sat / mon amongst the mayhem

so i wouldnt be shipping anything till back end of next week at best .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tero
    Rm is delivering RMSD as usuall during the srikes. They need to. Its the only mail which is delivered
    I don't think that is 100% correct.

Certainly that's not what Royal Mail are telling me...

But they're removing the timeliness guarantee, at least according to what I've read on their notices to our office.

Newspaper are liitered with news of the backlog and lost items. After next week's 3 days of action, The Independent estimates 1 month to clear the backlog. Doesn't seem worth taking the risk to me. Are couriers much more expensive than RMSD?

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I seem to remember during the last strike that RMSD carried on as normal but with the guarantee of next day delivery removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    But they're removing the timeliness guarantee, at least according to what I've read on their notices to our office.
    Yes thats true. 1 pm time is not important. It needs to be delivered. We had 12 managers today doing 240 RMSD today in vans. it took them 4 and half hours. They done quite well.

Master

Be aware also that a lot of couriers (Fed Ex included) only take watches on a 'no compensation' basis for damage.

They will insure for loss, but not damage, so make sure you pack things especially well if using them! :) The extra insurance for loss to a sensible value is also quite expensive (£12.50 extra for £250 for instance).

It confirms RMSD as the absolute bargain it is!

Read the small print! :)

RMSD, if your post office is accepting them due to collection cancellations caused by the industrial action, is still a good way to go, and no way should it be delayed for more than a day or so. They don't just sit around the sorting office either if delayed, they sit in the secure areas, so risk of loss is still no more than it would be normally IMO.

Well, I've just got back in from sorting mail in a delivery office - and I can confirm that all the RMSD items, to hand this morning, were taken out on delivery by managers covering delivery jobs. And, as already stated, SD items awaiting attention, anywhere in the mails pipeline, are kept under secure conditions. Clearly, nothing can ever 100% secure - but I still think RM is the most secure and reliable of the insured premium services available. Just my own take.