closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Postal strikes...

Postal strikes...

Should I really be posting a watch the day before a postal strike?

How long are they going to be? And how many?

Also, will the post offices be open?

Master

Re: Postal strikes...

RMSD should be tolerably safe, but it's certainly going to be a bit more risky. I've got one coming to me at the moment :(

Our postman has said he won't be bothering with the strike due to the personnel cost

Master

From RM Website:

Thursday 22nd October Mail Centres & Network Distribution Units.

Limited processing, movement and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by staff at a Mail Centre).

Friday 23rd October Delivery Offices & Collection Units.

Limited delivery and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by staff at the Delivery Office).

What we will do to maintain and recover service

If national industrial action goes ahead, Royal Mail has strong contingency plans in place and will do everything possible to keep mail moving and minimise disruption for our customers.

* Keep mail moving - hundreds of managerial and contract drivers will move mail around the country Thursday and Friday.
    * Delivering mail – We’ll continue to prioritise Special Delivery™ and Royal Mail Tracked™ mail for delivery on strike days, however the nature of the CWU action means we cannot guarantee doing so. In order to provide customers with clear guidance on service, we will be removing the Special Delivery guarantee for items posted on Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd which would be due for delivery on Friday 23rd October and Saturday 24th respectively. We will restore the guarantee of delivery as soon as we can be sure we can honour the service promise. We expect to be able to do this by Monday 26th October.
    * Use of managerial and support resources on strike days to maintain premium services, open callers’ offices and to collect from Post Office branches and as many posting boxes as possible.
    * Supporting goods distribution - we have additional sorting and distribution capacity in place to aid the distribution of packets through our network.
    * Targeted recovery - concentrating managerial and support resources on affected areas to deliver mail after the strikes.

We are really sorry for the impact and inconvenience the CWU strike action continues to have on our customers in London and other areas and the further problems this national industrial action will cause all customers. We are continuing to urge the CWU to call off all strike action and concentrate with us on supporting customers during the Autumn and Christmas peak mail period.

Ah, thanks. I went to various newspaper sites but wasn't sure. Forgot they had a site. :D

My concern is that the extra bulk of post could increase chances of something going astray. It's not expensive but still a PITA if it happened.

Mail Centres (where the mail is processed) will be striking tomorrow and delivery Offices (some at least) will be striking on Friday.

In any event, as mentioned in a post above, RM SD (Special Delivery) should get through. It may be delivered on the right day (but later in the day) or the following day, depending on local management resource/availability.

These views are my own and do not represent those of my employer :)

Ta. :D

Blog Entries

hi, strike or not, my postal service is average to say the least! trying to get an item redelivered is a nightmare.
    jim.

Master

I was working in the wear house yesterday helping out with a mail shot for my boss, there was a great pile of empty PO mail bags to be filled, sealed and tagged except I found they were not all empty as two contained an envelope and a jiffy bag both sealed with postage stamps on them.

Now according to the chaps this is quite a regular occurrence and they just drop them in the general post bag in one of our offices to be posted at the end of the day.

Now if this is happening to us it must be happening to other companies and i bet their not all as honest as us!

So strike or no strike I would always send signed for from now on.

Journeyman

i just want to know when the postman will be picking up from Eddie...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by justsellbrgs
    i just want to know when the postman will be picking up from Eddie...
    The Timefactors store is closed because our once-great Royal Mail has been reduced to the same level as the rest of the country, being just above rubble. Just one example of the erosion of British commerce being wrought by the CWU.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Ah, the British disease. Hold everybody to ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by wust588
    I'd normally attempt to defend this country, being patriotic... but that's how some morons behave in this country. :(

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    Quote Originally Posted by wust588
    I'd normally attempt to defend this country, being patriotic... but that's how some morons behave in this country. :(
    Well, you shouldn't complain, in UK Post Office workers notify it when they organize a strike, in France they notify it when they don't (well, I think next week will be strike free, except for public transportation in Lyon and maybe teachers and... :P ).
    You should stay focus on your coutry strengths and be proud of it, for instance in France we have one of the most efficient Tax Service in the world and I'm sooooooooooo proud of it :bom:

Keep smiling,

Nicolas

The postal service is over.. isnt that a break down of civilisation??

Master

Don't worry Darren - it can wait until next week mate :)

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

I have incoming RMSD today, according to PO that should not be affected :? we will see !!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alcmeonide
    You should stay focus on your coutry strengths and be proud of it, for instance in France we have one of the most efficient Tax Service in the world and I'm sooooooooooo proud of it :bom:
    It used to be that we could point to the superior transport and general public infrastructure in France and allocate it to France's whopping tax take, and a population density that's half that of the UK's. Now the British government has raised taxes to higher than France's and is taking bold steps in its immigration policy to make the island even more insufferably crowded. Not much to be proud of when you think that this government was voted in three times on the trot and is likely to for a fourth time, given the fast-closing gap on the alternative, which is - as all opposition is - ahead in the polls between elections. The British know pain, and they like giving it to themelves. And the institutions can deliver all the pain that's needed :lol:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Well I went with some trepidation to the Royal Mail office early this morning to collect a nice watch shaped package, with my 'sorry we missed you' card, and it was open!

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    It used to be that we could point to the superior transport and general public infrastructure in France and allocate it to France's whopping tax take, and a population density that's half that of the UK's. Now the British government has raised taxes to higher than France's and is taking bold steps in its immigration policy to make the island even more insufferably crowded. Not much to be proud of when you think that this government was voted in three times on the trot and is likely to for a fourth time, given the fast-closing gap on the alternative, which is - as all opposition is - ahead in the polls between elections. The British know pain, and they like giving it to themelves. And the institutions can deliver all the pain that's needed :lol:
    Voted in a fourth time :lol: I fear not somehow !

Blog Entries

Tell me about crowded, I'm Dutch :D
    Please let my beloved Cornwall stay a bit empty, I'd hate to see it getting crowded as well :cry: .
    I hope to receive something nice from a well respected forum member next week, c'mone Royal Mail, give it to me baby :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

Posties just been !!!! :D .

He says that it's Delivery drivers and sorting staff today and posties striking tomorrow .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    Posties just been !!!! :D .

He says that it's Delivery drivers and sorting staff today and posties striking tomorrow .
    Bwah :evil:
    My package should be on the post this friday I was told :shock:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Please let my beloved Cornwall stay a bit empty, I'd hate to see it getting crowded as well :cry: .
    I hope to receive something nice from a well respected forum member next week, c'mone Royal Mail, give it to me baby :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    UK recently overtook Holland as the most densely populated country in Europe. Summat must be good about the UK as everyone wants to come here !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Cheers,

Daddel.
    UK recently overtook Holland as the most densely populated country in Europe. Summat must be good about the UK as everyone wants to come here !
    Can I still come :cry:
    Seriously, that's not good, stop reproducing yourselfs that much, get a hobby :D

Cheers,

Daddel.