closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedy pro V Speedy Auto

jambobbyb

Speedy pro V Speedy Auto

Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 18:35.

Journeyman

Re: Speedy pro V Speedy Auto

The overall quality is almost the same (I'm not talking about the movements).

So if you do not like the speed reduced, you will probably not like the speed pro either.

jambobbyb

Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 18:36.

Yep, I agree with Austin, the quality is the same. and during the years, it has not changed.
    so maybe you should consider another model

jambobbyb

Just would like to remind you that the quality of the speed pro was deemed good enough for NASA long before marketing had anything to do with it.
    Hesalites do get scratched; it takes a minute to bring back to brand new, with no need for AR.

But horses for courses, I suppose. Oh, and I wear regularly a 60+ year old Omega, so quality probably wasn't that bad before either
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

jambobbyb

No probs, don't mind either way. Just saying that other members have already said quality was the same between pro and reduced, and that the battery of tests the pro was submitted to is probably rougher than your lifestyle.
    However I can understand the concept of perceived quality; also you may require a little more water resistance.

Hope you find the watch for you :)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The pro is bigger than the auto/reduced, so it will feel a bit heftier, but that's about it. You can still get a pro with a sapphire crystal if that is one of your concerns (personally I like acrylic though).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I've had a reduced for the last 7/8 years or so, during that time it has hardly left my wrist. Yes the crystal has a few marks but thanks to joining here I now know how to sort that out. The watch has been in the pool/shower etc many times (I know it's not supposed to be very waterproof) and continues to behave wonderfully. Yesterday I took delivery of a big Quartz diver as I felt I should be taking more care of the speedy and I fancied something a bit different, I've worn it for a day and I'm already missing my Omega.

jambobbyb

Apprentice

The Speedy Pro has got a totally different "feel" than the reduced Automatic.
    Just try it on (every Omega dealer has got the pro on stock), and see if it lives up to your expectations.

jambobbyb

The sapphire 'sandwhich' version might be the one to try, will have a bit more weight to it. I got a speedy pro after owning an smp chrono for a couple of years and just couldn't get away with it. Felt very light and 'tinny' after the seamaster and I ended up selling it after 3 months. I know weight isn't a measure of quality but it was just too big a difference for me after the smp.

jambobbyb

Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by jambobbyb
    Hi Paddy it's funny it's not just about weight, this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges but, the closet sized watch I have to the speedy in hand is a 2003 datejust, smaller face but thicker bracelet, the weight difference in hand feels like a lot the datejust being the heavier but on the scales there's only a 2 gramm difference between the two.

Yeah, some watches just have a more 'hefty' feel about them even if its not backed up by the numbers. My new oyster perpetual feels much heavier than an omega railmaster but I know from the scales there is virtually no difference. I might have something to do with how the bracelet moves through your hands or if the watch rattles much. These more subjective things might add up to give an impresion of robustness and implied weight.

I remember seeing a documentary years ago about Mercedes Benz and how in the old days their styling was very 'squared off'. All those haevy creases apparently gave the viewer the impression that the car was built out of thicker than usual steel (it wasn't) and lent an air of robustness and high build quality.

jambobbyb

have a 69 pro and a le pro and to be honest the le feels heavier/more solid ,but its mainly due to the solid bracelet on the le compared to the 1039 elastic ended thing on the 69

jambobbyb

I have a 69 pro, that one will never be flipped. Have had a Speedy auto, that one was in my possession for just over 6 months.
    Might help you a bit on the way. :)

Speed Pro for sure.... :lol:

jambobbyb