closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with cost of IWC

Help with cost of IWC

Hi

Having bought one of Eddie's Speedbird IIIs and really enjoyed the look I'm thinking of buying an IWC 3706 Flieger Chronograph. (Presumably Eddie is some way away from the Speedbird IV covered in another thread). I've seen one with a dealer at £1,900 on a new but non IWC croc strap. It has no papers and some scratches around the bezel but I dont think any real dings. Is the price a bit steep and if so what might a reasonable price be? I'm presuming it's running well but haven't checked that out yet.

Also - could anyone with an IWC give me an idea about on ongoing service costs?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Frankie

Re: Help with cost of IWC

Have you checked out the Steinhart Nav. b Chrono 2. It looks a good watch imo.

Keep an eye out on sales corner?
    somewhere around £2k for a nice watch should do it, and don't forget.....
    "you'll remember the quality long after you've forgotten the price"
    I have both pilot chrono and 3538 aquatimer, both keep great time and beautifully made. :D
    GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    Keep an eye out on sales corner?
    Should read, "Make 48 more posts and then Keep an eye out on sales corner" ;-)

Craftsman

3706??? Proper bit of kit. Love mine to bits.

But mine's had a VERY hard life, as you can see from the photo. Breaks my heart. Had it a while, but have other watches too, so this hasn't had a service yet. IWC is supposed to be very good, but also very expensive when it comes to servicing and case refinishing.

Good luck,
    Effortless

Thanks for the Steinhart tip - watch looks good but a bit big for me though. Not sure i'll ever get up to 50 posts for sales corner. Nothing wrong with a marked up watch you've done yourself - but I think i'll keep looking for one in better nick.

Master

For that kind of money, you could buy a near mint 3506 Ingenieur.

£1,900 for a 3706 on an aftermarket strap seems a bit steep, but these don't come up for sale at all often second hand.

You see more 3717's which tend to go for just under £2k on a croc strap, or just over on the bracelet depending on condition, boxes/papers etc.

I personally prefer the larger 3717 so wouldn't pay more for the smaller, older model.

Can't comment on servicing costs - sorry.

The SB III is certainly a bit 3706 like (except for not being a chrono) for a fraction of the cost. Objectively the IWC won't be 4 - 5 times better, but what's objectivity got to do with watches :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Well considering that Austin Kaye has one with papers and the (very expensive... about £800 or so) bracelet for £2k, I don't think £1.9k represents a great deal. The original straps by the way are about £200 or so.

Master

3706...Another one I regret selling :(

Dave

The Speedbird doesn't look like this 3706, though :wink:

Thanks very much for the input - picked up the 3706 on a bracelet from Austin Kaye yesterday for £2000. Much better deal than the other one I'd seen. Very good condition and perfect size for me. Was very tempted but resisted other stuff they had in stock!

Freddie

Master

An SBIII isn't a chronograph... no comparison in my book.

I've been looking for a 3706 for a while, as I don't like the bigger 3717 as much. They seem to be getting more expensive. 1900 on an aftermarket strap doesn't sound cheap, but then again I've yet to see a cheap one.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie
    Thanks very much for the input - picked up the 3706 on a bracelet from Austin Kaye yesterday for £2000. Much better deal than the other one I'd seen. Very good condition and perfect size for me. Was very tempted but resisted other stuff they had in stock!

Freddie
    Congratulations on your new acquisition.

I picked one up about 6 months ago for £2K on bracelet as well. I absolutely love it, and feel its defo a keeper.
    I wavered between this and the larger 3717, but have no regrets on picking the 3706 (bracelet is amazing)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy wearing mine.

Hi

Also - could anyone with an IWC give me an idea about on ongoing service costs?

Frankie
    Service cost for the 3706 or 3717 Fliegerchronos are quite similar, according to the official IWC price list (for Switzerland) a full service will be around 350 GBP. As said before, local watchmakers should be considerably cheaper and can provide similar service for the movement. For refreshing the case (or the Flieger bracelet), however, Schaffhausen might be the better option.

Service Prices for IWC (in Swiss Francs, 1 CHF = 0,60 GBP)

Cheers,
    Christian

Christian - thanks for the price list. I'm going to get it serviced and cleaned as it's' six years old and no papers to suggest it's been serviced yet.

Freddie
    Congratulations. Now we need pics, lots of them... TIA
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman

Try Chronomaster. I nearly bought one a few months ago from Neil.

With IWC you should be able to negotiate a sizeable discount from you AD.

I certainly did although buying two IWC's at the same time helped!! :mrgreen:

I do not own a pilot, but (ao) a Portuguese Chrono. Servive cost about EUR 400 in the NL (AD).