closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is this Longines

What is this Longines

http://www.longines.com/watches/sports- ... 731.4.53.2

Had a look at this new longines model while browsing the site .

Is that the BroadArrow symbol .

Anybody know more

Re: What is this Longines

Anyone know the price?

I want one

It looks quite nice, but I wish it didn't have the date on it.

It is Longines' utterly pointless and daft WWW reissue (apparently it will have WWW on the back). The date is stupid and the fact that it is automatic makes it hardly faithful to the original. I think the price on the continent has been mentioned as €890.

Its thier WWW re-issue, about 900 euro, bloody awful to my eyes, auto, date, sub dial half way up, WTF...to think what they could have done with this

Does not look bad at all and as one of the original WWW Dirty Dozen they certainly have the right heritage to make something like that. But is it just me or does the date detract from the look of the dial overall?

[edit] Took too long to post - from everyone else's recent comments it is obviously not just me. While I don't mind being an outsider I am glad that other people here think the same in this instance. Shame because I generally like Longines watches.

BB

Looks like it was designed by the commitee :x

Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond
    Its thier WWW re-issue, about 900 euro, bloody awful to my eyes, auto, date, sub dial half way up, WTF...to think what they could have done with this
    +1 What a shame. Completely f'd up, I'd say. Case looks too big for the movement - and a weedy looking crown to boot.

I have been hanging on since April for this model to appear, it was just what I wanted. A decent hommage to the ""Greenlander"". Then they go and put the date there. A major blonde moment on the part of the designer(I use the word very loosely). Miffed does not cover it. I was hoping for a reliable modern watch that looked pretty much like the original and they turn out this.

The recent diver in a similar vein was a great watch, but this. Come on Longines I am a fan, the conquest reissue was great but you have really dropped one with this muck up of a classic original. Hell, the MOD redial of the original has more style.

What a wasted opportunity. Very sad.

Journeyman

Normally I like Longine's styling, but I agree that the date and the small crown make this watch look a little unbalanced.

Close but no cigar,
    IMO the sub dial is to high, remove the date, original style crown.
    I think the inclusion of the date, auto movement and smaller crown was probably done to market the watch to a wider base then those looking for a Greenlander reissue.

do they look alike??

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd
    Close but no cigar,
    IMO the sub dial is to high, remove the date, original style crown.
    I think the inclusion of the date, auto movement and smaller crown was probably done to market the watch to a wider base then those looking for a Greenlander reissue.
    Ya think? ;)

It's madness to think that Longines would produce something small, date-less and acrylic, madness I say. Longines is a mass-market manufacturer selling to the world's markets, not a small group of British military-watch enthusiasts. Yes the movement is small, but it's an ETA 2892 which appears in various Omegas that are considerably larger and no-one complains. They could have put a Valgranges in there and added a couple of hundred to the price, but the watch is small enough and very old-fashioned compared to almost everything else anyone makes today. So dismissing it as being untrue to the brand probably isn't a good move, unless you like more of this 48mm, 300g goodness (which I'm sure they'd be happy to churn out):

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

I'd rather buy an original.
    They still can be found for about the same money.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Not particularly being familiar with the original, that doesn't offend me at all. Looks OK to my eyes, nice to see Longines doing something with a more classic look.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Not particularly being familiar with the original, that doesn't offend me at all. Looks OK to my eyes, nice to see Longines doing something with a more classic look.
    Agreed. As someone who prefers the Smiths-style MOD dial anyway, I quite like it. Looks far more balanced than the case-heavy "Greenlander"*. They've upped the dial to 38.5mm and the lug width to 20mm. Seems quite a nice homage to the original, balancing the original influences with more modern tastes/ needs. Nice to see, really.

M

*No Longines went to Greenland on the British North Greenland Expedition 1952-54, but happy to continue the misnomer until someone can come up with a replacement moniker.

Journeyman

The date window, if you really want to include one, could have been pulled off better, but my personal peeve is minute hands that don't reach the minute track -- compare this reissue to the original explorer1 posted to see what I mean.