closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I being picked on?

Craftsman

Am I being picked on?

I am a pretty regular flier with work (most weeks). Since getting a decent watch I have been asked more often that not to take my watch off going through securtity at the airport scanner. The explanation is that the watch is too big (wish that extended elsewhere but that is OT). Is it just me?

Re: Am I being picked on?

They are jealous!!

Master

Pretty normal, I always get asked to remove mine.

It gets on my nerves when they ask me to take my Panerai off at airport security....
    I mean, you can hardly smuggle a kilo of coke or a bomb -in a watch. Pedantic beyond words.

Given the amount of metal that goes into a hefty watch, I'm surprised they don't set the detectors off more often. My Breitling never sets them off but one would hope someone with a similar amount of stainless steel fashioned into a knife hidden about their person would be spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid
    It gets on my nerves when they ask me to take my Panerai off at airport security....
    I mean, you can hardly smuggle a kilo of coke or a bomb -in a watch. Pedantic beyond words.
    I think the issue is that it will set off the scanner, masking any other illegal items you may be carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird
    Given the amount of metal that goes into a hefty watch, I'm surprised they don't set the detectors off more often. My Breitling never sets them off but one would hope someone with a similar amount of stainless steel fashioned into a knife hidden about their person would be spotted!
    The little metal rivets in my jeans set off a scanner a few years ago, must've tuned 'em down a bit since!

My Breitling Seawolf Avenger Ti, set of the alarm the other week never happened with any other watches before :x

Where has all the COMMONSENSE gone these days! As a regular international flier I understand the need for security but removal of watches and belts - is that really necessary.........not to mention removal of laptops from their bags!! whats all that about?
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

It is a crazy situation, how they can ask you to do such a thing with a straight face is beyond me...

My big worry is when they go through the x-ray and I am being searched, that it'll just go and fall off the end of the x-ray. Happened to my good ladies laptop, resulted in a cracked case, and b****r all help from the security dude or the airline.... Thank goodness for insurance, although it shouldn't have ever got to that

Ash

Somewhat O/T but in all the rigmarole of packing/unpacking my laptop, taking off my shoes, belt etc at Dublin airport, I lost the little driver card I carry with me for the tracker on my car.

Would have loved to have been around whilst they tried to work out what the little unmarked black box with a red flashing light on it was!

Somewhat O/T but in all the rigmarole of packing/unpacking my laptop, taking off my shoes, belt etc at Dublin airport, I lost the little driver card I carry with me for the tracker on my car.

Would have loved to have been around whilst they tried to work out what the little unmarked black box with a red flashing light on it was!
    Now that is funny!................makes it so much better when you hear stories like that. Thanks for the chuckle!!!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Yeah I've been asked to remove the watch lately, so now I've got used to put it in the coat pocket and it rides with the other carry on stuff through the machine. Not a big hazzle if you ask me. I get more bugged when the want your shoes off...
    If this escalates much further well be standing in our underwear going past security...
    /michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock

Now that is funny!................makes it so much better when you hear stories like that. Thanks for the chuckle!!!
    Cheers, it was almost worth the sixty quid it cost me to replace the bloody thing!!

Where has all the COMMONSENSE gone these days! As a regular international flier I understand the need for security but removal of watches and belts - is that really necessary.........not to mention removal of laptops from their bags!! whats all that about?
    The point of the scanner frame is to detect metal. If, after removing your watch/belt/mobile phone/keys/etc, it still detects metal then you get a search to find the source, IIRC laptops are inspected wrt explosives.

And YES, I know it is haphazard: some watches set the scanner off, some don't/sometimes you have to take your shoes off, sometimes not/sometimes you have to open your laptop, othertimes not..........

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by don segundo
    If this escalates much further well be standing in our underwear going past security...
    /michael.

They're way ahead of you. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/15 ... _scanners/

Though they might not have thought it through.

this was really annoying me also, so what i do now is to put my walet, mobile, keys and watch into my hand luggage before i get to security, that way there is no beeping and i dont have to leave my personal belongings in a tray.

Journeyman

I have never started the alarm, but I have been asked to take of my watch, but only when wearing my steinhart b-uhr, but never when wearing my small watches.

p.sebastian

Master

I always take everything metallic off at security as I can't stand the indignity of being spreadeagled for the hand held detector, or even worse, being frisked. My experience has been that UK security is actually a little less sensitive than some foreign ones - I always have a complete nightmare in Poland (which is irritating, as I effectively live there for part of the year) and have had some problems in Italy on a couple of occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786
    this was really annoying me also, so what i do now is to put my walet, mobile, keys and watch into my hand luggage before i get to security, that way there is no beeping and i dont have to leave my personal belongings in a tray.
    Sense! You make it :wink: We all know it's going to happen, yet we do nothing to prevent it and complain about it anyway... on the internet

I just put everything into my coat pockets, place it in the tray and walk through the archway.
    As I understand it the machine identifies the presence of metal and it quicker to get you to take off belts, watches etc,
    Its a nusience but you get used to it after a while.
    What I cant understand is why you must put your toothpaste etc into a plastic bag it still goes through the X-Ray ?
    And no your not being picked on, unless their picking on me to.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786
    I've always done that, but I've since found out that some of my shoes (North Face ones in particular) have enough metal to set the detector off in some countries, but not the UK on the whole.

Both my SD and speedmaster haven't caused problems, nor my belts when wearing them through. As someone said earlier, it's worrying that so much metal can pass through...

I always take off my watch and put all my loose change etc in one of the plastic boxes.

Much happier knowing that I won't set the alarm off.

Quote Originally Posted by supercarl
    As someone said earlier, it's worrying that so much metal can pass through...
    Like this?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

This really gets on my nerves too. you always have some K~~b trying to get past you while you dress yourself and put your laptop away.

Quote Originally Posted by mattley
    Quote Originally Posted by don segundo
    /michael.

They're way ahead of you. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/15 ... _scanners/

Though they might not have thought it through.
    OMG!

But what about several people wearing watches and combining the contents.

I think falling to earth attached to just an airline seat from 36,000 feet would get on my nerves just a teeny bit more.

But don't worry. It'll never happen to you. :D

Grand Master

It's about 21st century flying being crap, basically :)

I got sick of having to undress for security for a living, so I stopped. Also (back on topic) I don't have to take my watch off for anyone any more.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I went through with my sub on and was asked to take it off, trying to not get it scratched, i laid it on top of my jumper to put it through, the woman security guard saw it was a roly and thought i was trying to make sure it didnt get nicked so trying to be helpful said ill put this on top to cover it up for you and before i could utter a word whacked my gf's bag right on top of it, brilliant!! :roll: :lol:

Grand Master

Agree 100%.

One of these days I`ll take the f***ing lot off and go through customs stark-bollock-naked.....probably get dragged away for the glove treatment :(

Paul :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe

But what about several people wearing watches and combining the contents.

I think falling to earth attached to just an airline seat from 36,000 feet would get on my nerves just a teeny bit more.

But don't worry. It'll never happen to you. :D
    Well said. I also fly most weeks, last week 3 return trips. Yes, it's a hassle. Yes, it's not consistent. It's also not an exact science, just a case of ordinary people trying to out-think fanatical terrorists. Just dump all your metal stuff (including watch) in your jacket pockets, take off your shoes and belt, and stop bl**dy moaning! Or stop flying. Your choice.

I just take mine off every time I go though, EZM3 and 756 always set the bloody thing off :D

Master

I only take cheapies on flights for that very reason.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales
    I only take cheapies on flights for that very reason.

Dave
    You've lost me there, what reason?

R

Craftsman

A test at City airport tonight - keep the watch on and guess what it picked up my shoes not the watch! Bog standard pair of Barkers.

City does have the benefit of a nice watch shop to waste the 20 mins for the flight browsing around - IWC, Catier, Beitling and Rolex all represented.

Yes - Silver card holder with both BA and BMI - fly twice a month - NEVER been asked to remove my watch. Almost had my lighter taken a couple times taken a few times.

They are trying to keep us safe :roll: :roll:

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I always have to take my watch off, although shoes are a new thing that has seemingly only afflicted me this year. Very irritating. I wonder if one day all this security will go away and flying will become a pleasant experience again... (Then I wake up)