closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Postal Strike...

Craftsman

Postal Strike...

Just been announced the Postal Workers are out on
    strike next week, please remember this when you
    are sending out, and waiting for your watches.... :?

Re: Postal Strike...

jokers

Master

Happy days...

Many items incoming next week :roll:

Master

RMSD isn't affected by the strike i was told this by my local postmaster :D

we've been having strikes almost weekly in London for the last couple of months, so probably won't be any different here :evil:

very bad :evil:

It is more than frustrating. Causing me major problems at work :evil:

As mentioned though RMSD seems to work normally, albeit at a cost.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk

As mentioned though RMSD seems to work normally, albeit at a cost.
    How's that going to work? Does RMSD go via a completely different route or something?

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot!!

There are two strike days planned; next Thursday and Friday. Mail Centre and driving staff on the first day, and collection & delivery staff on the second day, so this will affect everything including RMSD, unless management are going to do their walks for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    There are two strike days planned; next Thursday and Friday. Mail Centre and driving staff on the first day, and collection & delivery staff on the second day, so this will affect everything including RMSD, unless management are going to do their walks for them.
    I don't know what the posties are complaining about, delivering letters can't be that hard as a job, plus it's better than walking the streets :D

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Fedex not bothered?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Major recession, company's suffering, people struggling, banks taking the P**S!..................I know what we should do......LETS STRIKE!......that'll make things better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAZY.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Blog Entries

:bs: muppets

Master

Tell me about, RMSD seems to be the only things getting to me in any sort of time frame at the moment

Last time this happened PO told me RMSD was getting priority but by no means guaranteed service

Journeyman

hopefully international UPS isn't affected for the 3-LE i just ordered!

Master

Staff not on strike, along with managers and all the admin staff will be working to keep as much of the network going as possible, with collections of RMSD from Post Offices, and deliveries of RMSD to customers.

It won't be guaranteed, as they will suspend the guarantee for the strike period, but it will still be the only way to get something around the country via Royal Mail on those days.

Of course, other couriers are available, but they will undoubtedly be busier too so it might be a couple of days when folks have to be patient... :)

Grand Master

It's a brave man who crosses the picket line in 2009. Best assume there is simply no royal mail any more, and deal with the rapidly increasing number of companies which are dumping royal mail for good.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

I feel really sorry for them!

No, really! Imagine being expected to work until the end of your shift only to be shafted with an annual payrise that is only 6-7 times RPI.

Poor b*stards...

Quote Originally Posted by ascolgan
    I feel really sorry for them!

No, really! Imagine being expected to work until the end of your shift only to be shafted with an annual payrise that is only 6-7 times RPI.

Poor b*stards...
    :D :lol: :lol:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

Oh great. My newest toy was just shipped a few days ago. Wankers.

m

Journeyman

This time it's a national strike.

I don't get the headlines we've seen already:

"Half day strike planned for Shetland's 4th largest sorting office canteen night shift staff. All UK residents told to expect no post for 3 months"

Craftsman

Poor b*stards...
    Hurrah! more dodgy stats and a thread that should probably end up in the bear pit.

The Times from 25th April:

Royal Mail risked a showdown with trade unions yesterday by imposing a pay freeze on its 181,000 staff, the biggest workforce to have been penalised so far in the recession.

What annoys me is that there is no real option, at least I can get any parcel sent RMSD from town if i'm out. If a courier company can't deliver, it gets dumped in some shed 15 miles away. There's progress :roll:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by matts

Poor b*stards...
    Hurrah! more dodgy stats and a thread that should probably end up in the bear pit.

The Times from 25th April:

Royal Mail risked a showdown with trade unions yesterday by imposing a pay freeze on its 181,000 staff, the biggest workforce to have been penalised so far in the recession.

What annoys me is that there is no real option, at least I can get any parcel sent RMSD from town if i'm out. If a courier company can't deliver, it gets dumped in some shed 15 miles away. There's progress :roll:
    lies, damn lies, and statistics etc. etc. :wink: Even 6 months ago it looks like the unions were looking to cause a fuss about pay when the private sector was shedding jobs left right and centre. I saw a postie on TV last week actually complaining about the suggestion of having to work 'til the end of the shift because there is currently an unofficial policy of job and finish. How they can complain when they are still in jobs and have a bloody good pension plan I'll never know!

And don't get me started on Bob Crowe and the RMT! Maybe this should go to the pit :lol:

Job and finish? whats that?

I assume they dont get paid as much as a banker, but hell, what a cracking number!

My local postie is a real community hero (I live in a village just big enough to still have a postman allocated to it) and he doesn't want to strike - he can't afford to lose the pay - but no way he can cross a picket line. The strike will fail to achieve a bean except bring the end of the Royal Mail as we know it closer. A sad business.
    Steve

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage
    RMSD isn't affected by the strike i was told this by my local postmaster :D
    In London there has already been multiple strikes, and RMSD certainly wasnt working. Nor were the post office honoring the service guarantee.

I saw my postie at a car boot sale today, said he's not going on strike, but if no mail reaches the sorting office, not much he can do about it.

no problems at all so far in northern ireland. wonder if it will also hit here?

Master

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the industrial dispute, we'll all miss the ability to send a letter/parcel anywhere in the UK for a uniform price when it's gone.... :(

Royal Mail management and the unions have not faced up to the fundamental challenge of changing the business to take account of the vastly increased packet/parcel traffic, whilst managing the decline of letter traffic.

By not doing so, they have put the whole national uniform tarif at risk.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks

By not doing so, they have put the whole national uniform tarif at risk.
    There's a tariff on their uniforms?! No wonder they're going on strike- they shouldn't have to pay to be allowed to wear those shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    we've been having strikes almost weekly in London for the last couple of months, so probably won't be any different here :evil:
    Yes its been such a nightmare in London, when will the madness end! Maybe we should employ the junk mailers as I seem to get loads of that every day.

I agree with employing the junk mailers, mine arrives daily!

Although theres at least one item on the sc I fancy, I'm not going to buy it.
    I have a nasty idea it wont ever turn up, and will be 'lost' in a wharehouse, and possibly never found.....

Well, Special Delivery and/or Insured items will be processed and delivered on time wherever possible. WCS - they may be a day or so late. But they will get through. RM Managers are going to deal with these items personally. So if your watch turns up on Friday, delivered by an exhausted looking person, apparently lost, please go easy on him/her.

Don't ask how I know this :)

Just been speaking to my postie and he reckons there's no support for it up here ("bloody madness", were his exact words), but he's going to make the most of his bonus long weekend.