closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: British military figure - 2 wristwatches. Mountbatten?

British military figure - 2 wristwatches. Mountbatten?

I think I've been turning this question over in my head for most of the time that I have been a member here. A number of years ago I recall reading a book review of, I think, a Mountbatten biography and the reviewer recounted that he always wore a watch on each wrist for the purposes of instant backup. There was an account of one funny incident when somebody asked Mountbatten the time while he was driving a jeep whereupon he took both hands of the steering wheel and, as he was turning at the time, he stacked the jeep into a gatepost. I have tried to research this assertion using google without success and have even spent some time going through google images but every image seems to show him with one watch. Recollection not being a science I have repeated the process looking at other military figures who have served in the Far East/subcontinent such as Wavell and Slim. I suppose the next step will be to scan the biography section at Foyles to see if I can find the original book I refer to but wonder if anybody here has any pointers?

Interestingly the only public figure I can find with a two watch fetish is Castro who seems to have fairly catholic tastes.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: British military figure - 2 wristwatches. Mountbatten?

jaques piccard wore two frequently.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Seems a few people wear two watches, including Morissey, Lohan and even the late Emir of Katsina always wore two watches: http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=3289 but I've not read of Mountbatten - it would be interesting to know.

I popped into the National Army Museum today to get a readers ticket for the Templer Study Centre.Not enough time for any serious research but it seems I should be able to pick up a few leads there. Was disappointed that they didn't have a copy of either of the Knirim tomes but they do have the Ziggy book.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.