closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 1953 RAF - Which strap.

Apprentice

Omega 1953 RAF - Which strap.

Can anyone tell me what strap was fitted to the Omega 1953 RAF when they were issued to the RAF. The Omega website shows it with a brown leather 2 piece. Mine needs a new one and something like the original would be nice. I haven't jumped on the collecting original exotica bandwagon so to speak. It was just an old watch when I bought it in 1977 for £25 and I was truly amazed when I found out the prices they go for now. Thanks for your help.

Hi

..and welcome to the board. I am no expert on this though I believe a 'Bonklip' bracelet may have been the order of the day or a cotton, stitched strap similar to the current 'NATO'.

One or two other members may put me straight on this so check back and see what transpires.

Cheers

Ewan

I have usually worn mine on a grey NATO. I think it sets the watch off well.
    By the way you got a bargain - I paid 29.00 for mine!

Regards
    8)
    Rod

Re: Omega 1953 RAF - Which strap.

Quote Originally Posted by whifflingclara
    ........... I bought it in 1977 for £25 and I was truly amazed when I found out the prices they go for now. ...........
    I got an IWC at the same time for the same price. There was boxfulls of them. This or that? All one price. 8)

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Thomas Reid

Re: Omega 1953 RAF - Which strap.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by whifflingclara
    ........... I bought it in 1977 for £25 and I was truly amazed when I found out the prices they go for now. ...........
    I got an IWC at the same time for the same price. There was boxfulls of them. This or that? All one price. 8)

john
    Any leftovers you want to get rid of? :D

Best wishes,
    Bob

Apprentice
    Thanks for the replies gents.
    I've just found out what a "Bonklip" bracelet is.
    I bought the watch from a dealer advertising in the Exchange and Mart and from memory he was also selling Hamiltons for £10 and Smiths for £5.
    It's been and still is a great watch and has been worn allmost every day since I bought it. About 12 months after I got it it was dropped onto a concrete floor and the balance staff was broken. I took it to an Omega dealer in Birmingham and it cost £30 to repair. He assured me that I wouldnt get a watch of "that quality" repaired properley for less. Since then its been serviced twice and had a new crystal. For most of the time its been my only watch and has been on my wrist when fixing the car, laying paving slabs, doing the painting, etc. I bought it on the advice of my Father who said "Slatcher's had his for ages". Dick (Slatcher) confirmed that he had indeed had his for ages but wasn't quite sure when he got it but he certainly had it when he was demobbed from the RAF in 1946 and it was still going strong (in 1977). Dicks watch obviously wasn't a '53 though. I bought it because I wanted a good watch as the vibration from my motorbike had destroyed 2 auto wind (cheap) watches in short time and I thought at £25 it seemed like a bargain as I was considering a Rolex at about £325 (still single at the time). It keeps time to about -2 seconds a day if I wear it every day but looses more if its kept in the drawer but running.
    When I saw the kind of money they go for now I looked around for an everyday watch but whats the point in having something like that and not using it. So it will continue in everyday use but I will look for something to use while fixing the car, etc.
    It recently got through its second bracelet so needs a new one and was thinking about one of Eddies Bund straps in brown but without the backing pad or perhaps a grey Nato. Any thoughts ?

Master
    Great story behind your watch! Welcome.

I think a brown Bund without back would look superb - and Eddie's won't make a hole in your pocket. I think a NATO in current form looks too recent for the watch IMHO. The Bund would wear in nicely too.

Cheers
    Si

Craftsman
    Aviator from Eddie? Excellent for the money :D

Quote Originally Posted by BENZ
    Aviator from Eddie? Excellent for the money :D
    Got to agree, I seem to be getting a few of these - three so far :shock:

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.
    I did consider one of Eddies Aviators but I dont really like the screw heads on the open ended type that I would need on this watch.
    I'm leaning towards a Bund without the backing pad.
    The watch is currently on a Stellux mesh bracelet simply because it was available on another watch when the bracelet clasp broke on the 53. Its a nice comfortable bracelet but doesn't suit the look of the watch.