closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dentists

Master

Dentists

Having a phobia about dentists, it's been a while since I last went....

....so I need to register with one, but don't know how to spot a good one from a bad one!

Anyone here with any experience in this field - and please no horror stories! :cry:

(as I may just put it off again...) :roll:

Re: Dentists

I don't like going to the dentist either, I avoid it at all costs. I'm looking into liquidised food as the way forward :lol:

Master

Liquidised food is all very well...

...it's the family photos, weddings and holiday shots that I'm struggling with.

With not smiling, I just look grumpy all the time! :mrgreen:

Master

It's a bit of a trek, I know...

But I understand there's a Dentist in Harrogate, Yorkshire who's really excellent! :) ...

Only trouble is that once he's got you TRAPPED in his chair he'll BORE YOUR ARSE OFF talking watches! :shock:

"Paging-Puller... Paging-Puller".

Mike.

Master

Have a look at Denplan and go private. Will cost alot but it'll be worth it. NHS just don't have the time or resources to save teeth and in my experience will look for the quickiest fix.

I'm nearing the end of some lengthy dental work. It's cost me £2700!

Journeyman

I think dentists are far better now than they used to be - my childhood dentist was old school and my brother has avoided them for almost 40 years as a result. Me, I always ask my work coleagues where they go and it 's always worked out fine wherever I've been.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skool
    Strange Isn't It?

My NHS dentist want's to refer me to a private dentist for some bridge work....Estimate £2500.

Bloody hell....No way. I'll stick with my small denture.

Thing is, I'd spend £2.5K on a watch and not bat an eye lid.

Got to get ones priorities right. :)

Dave

I could do with a couple of implants (teeth, before the comments start :wink: ) and have been quoted around 5 grand for the work. It's not really an option to go abroad and get them for a third of the price because 2 or 3 visits are needed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thank God my dentist is one of my best mates, AND a uber-wis as well :-)

Saved me a fortune so far...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

I shall endeavour to compose something sensible and clever when a gap in the appt book. Fully NHS with practices in Leeds and Bradford. Must go....first victim arrived !!!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    ....first victim arrived !!!!!
    See guys, it's exactly these sorts of comments that keep feeding my darkest fears!! :(

..and the huge bills.... :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    Liquidised food is all very well...

...it's the family photos, weddings and holiday shots that I'm struggling with.

With not smiling, I just look grumpy all the time! :mrgreen:
    Thats because you are grumpy all the time.... and if I looked like you, I would be too !

Quote Originally Posted by Skool
    Have a look at Denplan and go private. Will cost alot but it'll be worth it. NHS just don't have the time or resources to save teeth and in my experience will look for the quickiest fix.

I can recommend Denplan. It's not expensive considering the alternative. You pay on a sliding scale depending on how much your likely to visit the dentist. Been with them for about five years and pay around £15 a month - but I have a partial top denture.

I have a good dentist but suffered witht the same 'old school' vampire in childhood (rubber masks for anaesthetics) and subsequently didn't go for about twenty years. The trauma still remains and it's a real effort to go. Still haven't been for a couple of years. Must make an appointment 'cos a crown has just come off!

Master

classic denplan...still pay your fees but dont attend. great for the dentist though. Not a fan as not good value. some call it supervised neglect. the only other charges are the lab fee for a crown/denture etc. I have heard these are inflated to the patient to make extra cash. Not fair in my mind.

old dental joke as told by the director of a dental indemnity company and author of many dental heath political articles.......patient attends NHS dental practice with a gap in his upper right premolar region( half way back). Dentist offers an carylic denture. Next he goes to an independent dentist who offers a bridge. Next was the harley street private one who offers an implant. Lastly he presents himself to the Denplan dentist, who announces that it is a beautiful gap.

says it all really. All this is a generalisation but smoke /fire....
    only true way to find a "good " dentist is through recommendation from someone sensible. The local PCT can only give names etc and not the levels of satisfaction.

Was stupid enough to try and chew on a frozen mars bar last thursday and lost a corner off one of my back teeth, really big chunk. Now have to have the whole thing removed tomorrow and am totally shi**ing a brick about it. :cry:

I've been with Denplan for a long time. Thus far all treatment has been 'free'.
    What is better value and still get good treatment?

Master

Denplan is not free. However, it will work for a lot of people and the dentist is generally handsomely paid for this. This is a funny business....

just a snap of todays watch in the thick of the action. Hope no fainting of the more fragile

I am in hospital on Monday for a cyst to be removed from the upper gum area, close to my sinus...... didnt enjoy seeing the tools of the trade :cry:

Master

no probs....only bonus is that these arent the instruments to be used....I wont do it to you and post the real ones...good luck and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Master

Denplan is not free. However, it will work for a lot of people and the dentist is generally handsomely paid for this. This is a funny business....

just a snap of todays watch in the thick of the action. Hope no fainting of the more fragile
    Yes. Very cute.

Now show the real stuff..:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/266 ... b9499c.jpg

http://www.misscellania.com/storage/torture2.png

http://chestofbooks.com/travel/italy/si ... orture.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ,_1729.JPG

Etc...

Mike.

Master

how did they get access to my surgery!!!!

Denplan for me, and my dentist is the brother of a mate, known him for 20+ years. I actually enjoy visiting him LOL :lol:

Master

the way it should be for everyone..

Master

Off to my NHS dentist in 10 mins.
    Tooth cracked on Monday afternoon, phoned for appointment, got one today. Good service up here in the far North.

(Doesn't make it any less traumatic tho'!!)

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I actually enjoy visiting him LOL :lol:
    Man, you are really a pervert. What does he charge for a full oral service? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I actually enjoy visiting him LOL :lol:
    Man, you are really a pervert. What does he charge for a full oral service? :lol:
    Reciprocity !!!

:mrgreen:

Master

ah yes....a tooth from a transformer or cyborg.....upper left 2nd molar I'd say.

I visted a dentists for the first time in 15 years the other month. He asked me how long it had been so I told him and he replied "i'll brace myself". I opened up and he was pleasantly surprised everything was okay. :) I went because I broke a tooth on some hard pasta it isn't painful and that was okay too as long as it doesn't crumble.
    I'm now registered with the guy and WILL continue the check ups for peace of mind. So don't panic it might be all good.
    Oh I chose this guy after phoning round a few. His receptionist sounded sexy. :mrgreen:

Master

that can be a good reason in itself........my old auntie who was a receptionist many moons ago, once told me that the reception was the shop window and the practice was judged as such. Smart old bird.

(doesnt actually relate directly to quality of care though.).the main thing is that a patient doesnt actually know what a good a good filling/root canal is. their criteria are...is he gentle, friendly, do the job, does it look nice, and does it last. Lots of rubbish can last by good luck rather than good intentions.

an old dentist once told me to be successful you needed the three A's-
    amiable, able and available !

I was disturbed to see on my last visit that the receptionist's desk had been replaced by a cheap chipboard veneer unit from the likes of MFI. Must have cost all of £75.

Master

times must be hard....no denplan there...

Grand Master

Must say, I'm larfin me socks orf at a certain posters name of Puller in a dentists thread :shock: :D :lol:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

times must be hard....no denplan there...
    But I'm there and on Denplan... In fact I've been going to that practice through four changes of owners since 1971.

Blog Entries

Am sure 'puller' can correct me if I'm wrong, but a dentist mate recommends to those who don't go private, to ask for 'private materials' to be used rather than the NHS funded stuff ...??
    In fact this guy takes about 20-25 seconds to give an injection, so you never get the 'gum bursting' feeling, which kept me off asking for anasthaetics for ages !
    Good luck, Peter

Grand Master

I just hope next time Seamaster73 goes for an extraction he gets "gassed" :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Am sure 'puller' can correct me if I'm wrong, but a dentist mate recommends to those who don't go private, to ask for 'private materials' to be used rather than the NHS funded stuff ...??
    In fact this guy takes about 20-25 seconds to give an injection, so you never get the 'gum bursting' feeling, which kept me off asking for anasthaetics for ages !
    Good luck, Peter
    If you really believe that you might as well believe in the Tooth Fairy too :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Good luck, Peter
    If you really believe that you might as well believe in the Tooth Fairy too :lol: :lol: :lol:

As this came from hubbie and wife (being both dentists from Denmark practising here in UK ) let's await a reply from someone else, who actually KNOWS what he's talking about eh' ??? :wink:

Grand Master

Oh 'eck.............pardon me all to hell :lol:
    :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Sorry...........but it really does sound bollocks to me :wink:
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    I visted a dentists for the first time in 15 years the other month. He asked me how long it had been so I told him and he replied "i'll brace myself". I opened up and he was pleasantly surprised everything was okay. :) I went because I broke a tooth on some hard pasta it isn't painful and that was okay too as long as it doesn't crumble.
    I'm now registered with the guy and WILL continue the check ups for peace of mind. So don't panic it might be all good.
    Oh I chose this guy after phoning round a few. His receptionist sounded sexy. :mrgreen:
    Can beat that,whilst shooting a comp last year one of my two fillings fell out.Couldn't get a NHS place so went private,was the first time that I'd gone to the dentist in 18 years as I'm absolutely a pussy when it comes to any form of pain.The guy was brilliant and very quick to reassure me that things had moved on a little.Replaced both fillings with 'white' ones and that was it.The guy was amazed,had a course of whitening treatment and everything's as good as new.
    Still a little apprehensive when it comes to a check up though.
    Best wishes

Apprentice

Puller - do you ever ask "is it safe ?" - still sends shivers down my spine...

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt
    ....suffered witht the same 'old school' vampire in childhood (rubber masks for anaesthetics)
    Oh God; one of the horrors of my childhood was the RUBBER MASK, I can still see it descending onto my face....... :shock: :shock: :shock:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

My wife is a dental nurse/hygienist and when we were in Germany her boss took out 13 in one session due to a love of Mars bars :wink: I had a fear of dentists and found best way to relax during treatment was to listen to music on my ipod and worked quite well.

You will find most dentists are not bad folks and very use to nervous people, although they will not admit it NHS ones not keen on taking on new patients who need plenty of work as with the new 3 tier charges system for just under £200 you can get as many teeth removed, filllings, cleaning, root canel work and full denture not in one sitting but a course of treatment, so you can see why the NHS ones not so keen.

Peter

Me too. Had that as well when I had my tonsils out, age 5.

Journeyman

I was on Denplan (or similar) for years with my last dentist before we moved. She was excellent. I now go to an NHS dentist. She is also excellent although, for obvious reasons, not so inclined to "over-prescribe".

There are worse things in life than the dentist. I find them very useful as a benchmark test of acceptability e.g. choose between black tie event with business colleagues/seminar on EU Regulations/dancing while sober etc etc or dental appointment? On the basis that it seldom lasts longer than 1/2 an hour - the dentist is usually preferred.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Must say, I'm larfin me socks orf at a certain posters name of Puller in a dentists thread :shock: :D :lol:

golf and work conotations...

Master

Good luck, Peter

in same way if I buy a ford fiesta but ask for a mondeo......

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 12-brady
    My wife is a dental nurse/hygienist and when we were in Germany her boss took out 13 in one session due to a love of Mars bars :wink: I had a fear of dentists and found best way to relax during treatment was to listen to music on my ipod and worked quite well.

You will find most dentists are not bad folks and very use to nervous people, although they will not admit it NHS ones not keen on taking on new patients who need plenty of work as with the new 3 tier charges system for just under £200 you can get as many teeth removed, filllings, cleaning, root canel work and full denture not in one sitting but a course of treatment, so you can see why the NHS ones not so keen.

Peter
    quite right in some cases.....system flawed, but doe to change to a fairer on next year..

cannedheat

I go to one which I must confess is by far the best dentist I have visited yet. I live 450 km from it but I won't go to any other.

Gorgeous and gentle secretary with huge cleavage at the entrance. Nice, young and beautiful dentists ( almost all are women ). all services done there ( including X-rays ) which saves time and money.

Two implants costed me 3.000 € in total, which here is not a cheap price ( could be got for 1.200 € each ) but service is always optimal. the name is "Ruiz Capillas & Asociados", and it is in Santander, just in front of the ferry terminal from Plymouth.