closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaving Creams

Shaving Creams

Dear Guys,
    I'm from italy and recencently bought a Truefitt&hill Shaving Creams of 1805 series.
    It's wonderful!
    The best I've ever used.
    Any other suggestion on these products?
    Regards

Master

Re: Shaving Creams

u a salesman.....

saleman?
    Why?
    I found this product in a little shop in north of italy.
    Never heard about it...
    Anyhow I'm asking about other good products/brands of shaving creams...
    What I'm selling? I cannot understand.

I've tried a few different brands but my favourite is GEO Trumper, almond.

Shower gel, or shampoo. Much more slippery, and doesn't leave nasty grease all over the razor and the sink, which every single 'shaving' product does. So you can simply swill the sink out, and run the razor under the tap.

Don't believe the hype. For some reason, the more one spends, the worse the gunk. Top prize has to go to Clinique Cream Shave, or Trumpers stuff in a pot. Waste of money...

Ditto

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    My hubby uses GEO Trumper sandalwood and it smells lovely!

Somerset shaving oil for me. Far better than gel or foam imho and a lot less mess too.

Cheers,

Gary

Master

I'll stand to be enlightened but I just use King-of-shaves shaving gel, it's cheap lasts ages and you can see what you're doing.

When I do wet shave I really like the Clinique gel. Works a lot better (for me) than any Gillette stuff. Not tried anything else.

Now .... Who's crazy enough to use a cut throat razer?? :?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Somerset shaving oil for me. Far better than gel or foam imho and a lot less mess too.

Cheers,

Gary
    Tried this the other day, I found your face has to be soaking wet for it to wokr properly is that you experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary

Cheers,

Gary
    Tried this the other day, I found your face has to be soaking wet for it to wokr properly is that you experience?
    Yep your face should be wet. I use it in conjunction with the wife's Liz Earle face cleanser (don't tell her though). Works a treat for my heavy stubble.

Cheers,

Gary

I have used Floris Santal which is excellent :)

http://www.florislondon.com/Floris_for_ ... =PPG423_26

For every day though the Erasmic cream is good. Buy it for 99p in most supermarkets or chemists.

Rod

Hair removal cream for me or whatever SWMBO leaves lying around the shower tray :lol:

For me the product is irrelevant, its having my bristles nice and moist that does the trick.

Eg, shave after a decent shower, or with a basin full of steaming water

clogged razer is pants though. Currently using Boots No7 which is cheap and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    I'll stand to be enlightened but I just use King-of-shaves shaving gel, it's cheap lasts ages and you can see what you're doing.
    Another vote for King of shaves gel. I have been using it about 10 years since it came out and it just..... works! You can buy the King of shaves oil as well which sort of works but just feels weird not having any lather at all. Good for a small overnight bag though

Grand Master

Ive been using the body shop shave cream, the large tub last nearly a year! and it is great gear, glycerine based like a cutthroat razor would use.

Before you blame a cream do the google on the perfect shave but it goes something like.

1. Was to remove dirt with warm water
    2. warm rinse face
    3. apply glycerine based cream with brush to aggitate
    4. Wait
    5. shave ear to chin first then neck then cheeks, in direction of growth
    6. Rinse & wash with warm water
    7. cold rinse
    8. Moisturise (yes even the hetros!)
    RIAC

A bit "Mens Health" this thread :wink: but Gillette Sensor Gel for me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Proraso from Italy works great for me :wink:

all the best

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by JHM
    +1

Tried 'em all. There's nothing better, IMO.

Journeyman

I use Wilkinson Sword shaving soap bowl - mostly because i can get it delivered by Tesco and it only costs £1.52. It's good too though.

I

I discovered a new one recently in Cyprus. Barbon. Left in the pic below of my big fat Greek haul. It claims to be "a richly lathering shaving cream containing Chlorophyll, has antiseptic and slightly haemostatic effect" and is very good stuff at under 2€ a tube. Made by Caola-Alfa Ltd of Budapest (Hungary) for Petroutsis & Son Ltd of Nicosia (Cyprus). Pleasantly retro "medicinal" scent. Definitely worth a try for Proraso fans.

Master

only a wind up re salesman..sorry.
    I use plain old gillette gel...no poofy stuff on my sink.
    Once heard on radio from jackie stewart whose so I think died from skin cancer that to help avoid skin probs the first stroke/cut should run with the grain of the hair. This is less irritating to hair follicles and then you can cut up the flow to get a cleaner deeper feel. Worth checking out. I always shave first and then have a shower. No scars/bleeding. works everytime.

Before trueffitt I used a very fresh cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street:Lemon & Lime flavoured.
    To be used absolutely with a pure badger brush!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by JHM
    +1

Tried 'em all. There's nothing better, IMO.
    +2.

I've tried a few and the lather produced by Proraso is thick and stable. Some other soaps start off thick and creamy but the lather quickly breaks back and provides poor lubrication.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I use a L'occitane shaving soap in an aluminium bowl. The soap is fine but the bowl is starting to look very manky, almost as if there is some sort of chemical reaction going on. Anybody got any ideas on how to clean the bowl?

Does the bowl becomes like dark? it makes the same with L'occitane hand soap box....I washed it with soap andbecame like new...

Quote Originally Posted by gaussman
    Does the bowl becomes like dark? it makes the same with L'occitane hand soap box....I washed it with soap andbecame like new...
    Yes, it's gone a sort of dark grey colour and the grey is washing into the soap. I think I'll take the soap out and give it a clean with washing up liquid and hot water - see what happens.

While I think about it, dishwashers are best avoided for aluminium. I dishwashed a stove top coffee maker once and it went dull grey and stayed like that.

The only thing I've found that cleans up the L'occitane metal bowl is Autosol, the stuff sold in car shops for car and bike brightwork.

Its a bit of an effort but SWMBO cracks the whip once the metal bowl starts to go dingy dragging down the cleanliness of the whole house!!

I can't in all honesty recommend the L'Occitane over much cheaper alternatives though. I'm currently working my way through a pot of very cheap french shaving soap called Monsavon that was an emergency purchase whilst on holiday earlier this year...it's as good as anything I've used and was a fraction of the price of many alternatives.

I've also discovered the wonder that is an Alum block, rubbed over a wet face post shave it has prevented the rash and sore patches that have cursed my shaving years!!

Just as an aside last weekend introduced my son to the "joy"of wet shaving. I remember my father giving me the same talk many years ago and have remained a soap, brush and razor man ever since.

Son seemed to get a bit of a buzz from the whole thing, but as we all know gents, the novelty of the morning scrape will soon wear off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    The only thing I've found that cleans up the L'occitane metal bowl is Autosol, the stuff sold in car shops for car and bike brightwork.
    Thanks for that, I'll try it and see what happens.

The Occitane soap was a present and is wearing thin - I'll find something to replace it from one of the brands mentioned above.

Master

is this a MAN'S forum or what.....you'll be shaving yer legs next...

joking so dont get upset.

Grand Master

I shave once a week (whether I need to or not) as I'm lucky enough not to have much facial hair, no sideburns, in fact I can just about grow a goatee! So I agree with:

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc
    For me the product is irrelevant, its having my bristles nice and moist that does the trick.

Eg, shave after a decent shower, or with a basin full of steaming water
    Although I use a Mach 3 .. I'm still using a cream that I bought 3 years ago! And a pack of 5 blades last more than a year ..
    /vince ..

I'm a Proraso fan too, but have to say that when it last ran out I resorted to the gel in our guests' shower (Imperial Leather) and it was very good indeed - so much so I now go in there to shave & that gives the added bonus of not having to do a post-shave clean up of the wash basin in 'our' bathroom.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

I don't want to sound like a ladyboy or nothin' but I haven't found anything better clarins (only discovered it after using the ball and chain's stuff
    - she got sick of me using up her mucho expensive stuff and bought me some of the 'le creame pour le homme').
    (When I'm out bush I just shave with a knife, honestly).

For years I just used sorbolene which worked well but with a few too many trips off the bike and onto ma chin
    (and to the hospital) my face is a bit more sensitive these days.

About sensitive skin.
    Using the truefitt I can avoid using an aftershave balm.
    It makes your skin really relaxed.
    Also 1805 flavour is "ancient" like...
    you know the flavour you could smell in old barber shops...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Thank fook! I was starting to think i was some kind of amateur with all these unknown-to-me brands being mentioned :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Thank fook! I was starting to think i was some kind of amateur with all these unknown-to-me brands being mentioned :lol:
    Nice try David, you did start a handbag thread :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Nice try David, you did start a handbag thread :D
    LOL, that's true :lol:

I am going to sound a little gay at this point..... TK Maxx is your friend.

They usually have shave creams by the expensive producers down at sensible prices. I have bought Truefitt, Pecksniffs, Taylors & Trumpers all from TK at just a few quid compared to the £20-30 in the proper shops. My Pecksniffs Citrus is great, good consistency and has lasted me the better part of a year when used with a good quality badger.

They also tend to have alot of good soaps, with Olive Oil Soap being a particular favorite

Journeyman

I find the Palmolive Classic shave cream in a tube very good. Just lather a toothpaste sized bit in the palm of my hand.

It's cheap at about £1 a tube in Superdrug. :)

I feel like some kind of heathen only ever using the... don't really know if I dare say it... electric razor

On the odd occasion I leave it too long and the electric shaver would rip my face to shreds if I did it dry I do have some clarins shave oil which I find does a grand job - although I feel like a duck when I'm trying to wash it off my hands!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    I'm using the coconut version of this because of the girly, sensitive skin I have on my throat.

I've always had trouble getting a decent shave because my stubble is quite hard and my skin from jaw line up is pretty thick, but soft and sensitive below that. In the past with foams and cartridge razors, (or even worse electric) if it did a good job of shaving the top half then it left me with red tramlines down my throat for two days.

Just about got it sorted since I moved onto DE blades, with Derby blades being the best I've tried so far.

I've used all sorts of creams and oils, and always go back to bog-standard bath soap. Works for me, I guess everyones skin is different.

Craftsman

Nivea Sensitive for me. Leaves your skin feeling great.

Using Bulldog ATMO-quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebs
    +1 for kos gel
    And another. Lasts ages unless the wife gets hold of it

Craftsman

For a great selection of shaving creams and blades try Connaugtshaving.com. I've no affiliation but have just bought their large blade sample pack and now am shaving with '7 o clock from Bangladesh' blades and very good they are. Merkur DE razors are the best.
    I got fed up being ripped off with the latest triple/quadruple/vibrating blades :!:

Thanks

Alan :)

I got into classic DE shaving about 18 months ago and now use Trumpers Sandalwood shaving cream applied with a badger brush with a pre and post shave of Trumper Sandalwood skin food.

I too find the Palmolive shaving cream is not bad and good value. I tend to use it now when travelling.

I had a shave at Trumpers as a birthday treat last year and they got me into the Sandalwood skin food, before that I used Nivea sensitive post shave balm. When I use the Nivea balm now I find the smell puts me off.

Regards
    Arnold

Journeyman

Got to agree with the Clinique Cream Shave...

GEO Trumper here also.
    Sandalwood for theat vintage smell.
    Availiable in TK Max - where my other half spends all her days.
    Now where can I buyt a real badget brush...
    J.