closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to pick a Sinn (new here)

Craftsman

Trying to pick a Sinn (new here)

I was given the link here from one of the BMW forums i frequent after posting in an Omega thread as i was originally after an Omega so hello everyone.
    I had a few years away from watches due to breaking an Omega and Rolex in the 90's but my current Seiko has lasted 10 years so i think i'm cured now.
    Anyway after looking around the site i've been introduced to Sinn and quite frankly i think they're class but as the range seems vast i have no clue what to get and need advise from Sinn owners.
    What do you think i should get and why, one thing i do want though is a steel bracelet.

Thanks
    Dixon

Re: Trying to pick a Sinn (new here)

What kind of thing are you looking for? Diver, pilots style or chrono? The Sinn range has a lot to offer and can probably cover any particular need.

Here are a few of mine:

Sinn 356 chrono

Sinn 857 pilots with GMT

Sinn 656 pilots

Sinn U1 divers

Sinn EZM3 diver

All on Sinn bracelets, which I think are particularly good. Various sizes here, ranging from the 656 and 356 at 38.5mm to the U1 at 44mm.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I've always liked the clean good looks of the 556:

Must get one, one day :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    What kind of thing are you looking for? Diver, pilots style or chrono? The Sinn range has a lot to offer and can probably cover any particular need.

Here are a few of mine:

Sinn 356 chrono

Sinn 857 pilots with GMT

Sinn 656 pilots

Sinn U1 divers

Sinn EZM3 diver

All on Sinn bracelets, which I think are particularly good. Various sizes here, ranging from the 656 and 356 at 38.5mm to the U1 at 44mm.

The wrist shots are perfect as i've looked on the Sinn website and the pics don't do them justice, so far the 857 and U1 look good. I quite like the look of the larger watches but not huge, Omega Seamaster size is what i'm after.
    What are they like to live with, It's going to be a watch i wear most days.
    It looks like you take good care of yours.

Thanks
    Dixon

Master

This is the 103 St Sa. It is the Sinn I have. The pic is not mine it belongs to Walt at the other TZ and is one of the reasons I got one. I kept the picture because it has to be one of the most stunning pics of this watch. BTW it is wearing a Hirsch Liberty strap.

I think Dave has bought them all, so there's none left. :)

I prefer the modern-styled ones personally - the 756 over the 356 for example.

A good entry point is the 556, though the 656 is much more classic and distinctive. Both are on the small side, so if your wrist is bigger than 7 1/2" you might want something bigger. I have the 856 UTC which I think is great. They get really desirable once you start adding bezels - the 857 and the 757 UTC are crackers - but you are getting into a higher price point then.

The tegimented case of the 856 and up (i.e. all the 85x and 75x watches, plus the divers) makes them very easy to look after. My 856 is completely unmarked after two years.

Craftsman

These are my two, quite different to each other but both very cool IMHO
    The light one (titanium)

And the heavy one (all U-boat steel baby)

Hello.

I have the same U1 as above, I love it, real quality feel about it and the weight is just right.

Have a good look at the Chronomaster website.

Mat

I'm really liking the look of the heavy one, does it have a model number so i can look up more info

Craftsman

U1
    Mine is the SDR version (black PVD bezel), but in all steel it's still pretty cool.
    Big watch on bracelet, but comfy nonetheless.
    I got mine here on SC, but it came from chronomaster.

Or you could look at one of these:

Sinn Arktis - if you want a watch to wear every day under any circumstance - this is the one (it works for me anyway!).

Cheers,

Master

Another vote for the U1, doesn't wear that big and the bracelet is very solid.

Master

Can't go wrong with a Sinn

:D

Buy whatever you next see on the sales corner, if you decide you want a different one you'll be able to get your money back to buy that instead

Grand Master

There are so many! But as it sounds like you're hard on your watches then I'd go for an EZM or U series, as whilst the Sinn Arktis is so good looking it may not be durable enough for you .. but, as others have said, always get it on a bracelet! I had this one for a while:

/vince ..

I love the look of the 356 but when I went in and tried one on it was just too small....I went home empty handed :cry:

Master

Welcome to the madness :) I have a few Sinn watches over the last 18mths or so, and perhaps the one I would go for again is the 203 Arktis -

Have had a 556 (twice ) and at 38mm across it was just that little too small, whilst the 203 is 40mm across, so the same size as a Seamaster.

Good luck with your search - which is half the fun and let us know what you get, and of course if you hadn't guessed yet, we like pictures :wink:

Journeyman

Welcome! You are in good company... :D

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    Have had a 556 (twice ) and at 38mm across it was just that little too small, whilst the 203 is 40mm across, so the same size as a Seamaster.
    I have also got a 556 (as a gift from a very generous friend of mine :o ) - Different from CmdrBond, I have got a rather small wrist so 38mm is just perfect for me... either on a leather strap or a braided nato... 8)

Good luck with your search!

I find the 656/356 are a really good size for my wrist, but I don't have large wrists (17.5cm).

If you like the U1 and 857, they both wear well. Compared to a Seamaster, the 857 probably wears a touch bigger, but not much, the U1 does wear taller. If you're wearing a shirt and tie, the U1 will be harder to fit under a cuff, whereas the 857 is lower profile.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

All good advice... so far!

You'll not regret buying a Sinn of any type, Im sure. One point i would mention however is that the bracelets are top quality and for the larger watches (U series and flieger / chronos) they provide a good counter-weight to the heft of the watch. Well worth getting with the initial purchase as they are a bit pricey after the event.

Another fun thing about Sinns is the tegiment hardening on some models - they are about as scratch resistant as you'll reasonably find. Almost spooky.

Regards

David

Something a bit different.

Sinn 155

Wears quite big but my wirsts aren't huge!

If you like Chronographs, the 144 St Sa is also a great watch. Very tough, smart looking (from the 'Porsche Design' era and style), and wears larger than its' 40mm width due to the 37mm visible dial area.

Hi,

Sinn do have a very tempting range. Have you done a Search of the Reviews section? There are many Sinn reviews (including one of my own) there.

Jurawatches in London have a stock if you are near London and want to try any on.

Throwing in my twopennyworth in support of the 656. Great allrounder if you like the style. Worn on a black nato, you won't know that it is there. Which may, or may not be a good thing.

My U1 is has the black tegimented bezel and I'm harder than most on my watches, this is my daily watch and goes everywhere with me from Chad to Sudan and off to Afghanistan in a couple of weeks. It gets bashed and scrapped and with a quick wipe looks as good as new! I have the rubber strap and after a short time you forget the weight because it feels so comfortable.

Mat

mattah

I love my Sinn 656 which I bought off these forums earlier this year.

It just feels reassuringly solid, while the bracelet seems wonderfully engineered. It just feels so much better to wear than my Seikos (Samurai and pepsi diver) and Omega. It's my favourite watch and I can't see myself ever selling it.

Had the UX and 556, excellent watches. Jura watches in London have stock so you can try one on, though Neil at Chronomaster has served the community well over the years but is online only.
    As ever, depends what you want, Sinn have a wide range, though they're not the ultra-bargains they were a few years ago. Quality control issues have been a problem for some owners, hopefully Sinn have got to grips with this now - silly things like sub-dials falling off. The company is small so if your watch does have to go on holiday to Germany expect not to see it for two months (that's how long my UX was away for oil and battery change - and is typical). But when everything's working - as will normally be the case - they are magnificent watches and rare enough to attract comment.
    Cheers
    Steve

The trouble with Sinn is selecting just one to have. Virtually impossible. You really need several.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Hi,

nobody has published a pic of these ones yet:

356 Flieger II

Another satisfied 857 owner here...

"I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I have a similar problem....here's some extra info might be of usehttp://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...40&hilit=+sinn

i like that 155, not seen it before and the 103 is nice too

Master

I have to say that Sinn has some very intresting models. Never handled one in real life and only one retailer in Sweden avalaible but hopefully I can visit it soon. Would love to try out some of them...

Love the look of the almost toyish hands on the U1 and the 144 Ti and 103 don't look bad either :)

Craftsman

Thanks for the replies everyone i did not expect as many pics as this, as i said the wrist shots make a huge difference when choosing a watch.
    There are a few models i like including the 103 and 203 now so at least i'm narrowing my choices.
    Keep them coming and thanks again
    Dixon

657 or U1 no doubt!

Lots of interesting comments here, as previously mentioned, it all depends on what you want to do with the watch, if it is really an every day wearer for all occasions, I would advise either the EZM3- sits low on the wrist, crown on the left and very subtle with lots of style and substance, or if you travel abroad regularly but are very active, the 757 utc is a great option in tegimented steel.

The tegimentation does work, I seem to have picked up absolutely zero marks on my 757.

Regardless, Sinn seems to offer good value combined with technology and reliability.
    They are a reasonably good investment if you think you will want to move it on at a later date.

Andy

I have been looking at the 756S UTC. Looks cool in the full black.

It would have to be the 556 for me - somehow the numerals on the 656 look a little too big. I also like the look of the U1 but don't think it would work on my skinny wrist :?

Apprentice

I like the BUND Sinn.

Or the look-a-like model available from Manafactum that is still available, the 155.

Craftsman

thanks for all the replies, pics etc.
    i have decided to go for a 103.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN
    thanks for all the replies, pics etc.
    i have decided to go for a 103.
    good choice

Quote Originally Posted by mattah

I've never liked PVD finishes, too worried about scratching them, but the WABI on this bad boy is ace Matt :D

If you ever get the urge to pull the trigger send me a PM :wink:

ATB

Paul

Sinn has a few other nice designs.... I always had a soft spot for the 142 and 144 series.....also available in lightweight comfortable titanium

(142TI D1 LE #499/500)

Journeyman

Great choice with the 103. I also think the 556 and the 656 are superb watches, some of the best designs I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by nivelacuso
    I like the BUND Sinn.

Or the look-a-like model available from Manafactum that is still available, the 155.

I've got my 155 on a black mesh now...:

You can't go wrong with any Sinn in my opinion.
    For an everyday wearer, the 656/856 ranges are worth looking at. Very good legibility and the 856 has a tegimented case too. I wear mine most days for work.

Regards,
    Nick

Struggling myself on choosing which model to go for but am favouring the 856 at the moment but all these other pictures are helping me to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Hi,

nobody has published a pic of these ones yet:

356 Flieger II
    This is defo my fave out of all the ones posted so far!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mixienewland
    Struggling myself on choosing which model to go for but am favouring the 856 at the moment but all these other pictures are helping me to decide.
    yes the range seems vast, i like the 856 and 857 but the 103 just does it for me.

thanks again for all the pics and info it was a huge help.

Just seen on the official Sinn website that there are some new 103 models with DIAPAL - look very nice, including a titanium one. Only seen them on the German pages of the website - under new models, not translated on to the English one yet.

Regards,

Nick

Some Sinn suggestions: Sinn 6000 Finanplatzuhr; Sinn 6066; Sinn 103; Sinn Arktis.

Good luck !