closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viewing Sales Corner

Master

Viewing Sales Corner

Have the rules changed?

I am a newbie on here but I was previously able to look at the stuff on "Sales Corner".

Now I get a message saying the minimum post count is 50 - just to view SC, never mind posting on there.........

Just wondering about the reason this change?

(Only another 47 posts to go) :?

Re: Viewing Sales Corner

New rules in response to a scammer apparently
    Thread here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93353

Me too, I've just been booted off SC...?

Master

Hmmm, here's me thinking I'd been naughty again!!! :?

I can understand banning people from posting there till they hit the 50 post limit but surely we should be able to look at SC or WTB without having 50 posts.

What about the old saying 'you can look but dont touch'? :lol:

Shame really :(

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Depends whether you've just joined in order to use the SC.... as the thread says,participate in the forums,let people see you are genuine and then that will be off benefit to all (including yourself) when you get the 50 up and get access to SC. You will be suprised how quickly 50 posts arrives!

Journeyman

Hmm, can't say I'm too pleased about this!

On the one hand, it'll save me a lot of time, but now I can't get an idea of the market value of watches I may see elsewhere. I agree with the 'look but don't touch' policy. The sellers can always choose to ignore an obviously dodgy PM...

Banned

Que more speed posts :roll:

You will get a load of

Cool

Agree

Yeah

WOW

I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
    I can understand banning people from posting there till they hit the 50 post limit but surely we should be able to look at SC or WTB without having 50 posts.

What about the old saying 'you can look but dont touch'? :lol:
    Write a few love letters here and you can touch all you want. Like in real life. :)
    (We're very romantic here :lol: )
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

From my perspective, I like to get into something new by researching it, then buying some of the kit - it's difficult to appreciate WIS-type stuff if you don't own any watches! I purchased several within the first few weeks of joining, which in tuirn I could then take some pics of, meaning I could join in on the forum and talk about them, meaning my posts went up etc etc!

It'd be easy for me to say "I'm alright Jack" because I've got a few posts nder my belt, but I sympathise with the posts from those with <50

Master

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Depends whether you've just joined in order to use the SC.... as the thread says,participate in the forums,let people see you are genuine and then that will be off benefit to all (including yourself) when you get the 50 up and get access to SC. You will be suprised how quickly 50 posts arrives!
    Seems a reasonable policy Village. Just surprised at being bounced off SC tonight. :lol:

Just think of the money it has saved by removing all that temptation.

I have been booted off too (need 45 more posts). I can see the benefit, as it will encourage forum participation.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Of course, the flip-side of this is established members whinging when someone gets to 50 posts in 24 hours as that person "Is obviously posting to get into SC!"...

Personally, I tend to end up as more of a lurker and like looking at SC. I'll make 50 posts eventually, but now I might speed that up so I can get back to window shopping.

Craftsman

Bloody 'ell, just got in from work and looking forward to chilling out over a few watches that I
    can't afford (sad I know) ............ I've been cast into the wilderness

I better start posting!

Ed

Master

Just take part in the other various forums and you will be upto 50 posts in no time, quite simple really :wink:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Que more speed posts :roll:

You will get a load of

Cool

Agree

Yeah

WOW

I like it
    You missed the classic "I'd snap it up in a second, but my kitten needs a new collar, so I haven't got the cash"

Does this count as a speed post :roll:

Drew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edzt
    I better start posting!
    And it better be no rubbish.... :twisted:

Journeyman

Probably best I can't see SC anymore, its already cost me over 5k since joining :shock:

Hmm, post number 11.

Me too, I spent ages pouring over the watches for sale. I guess I have more time to save up now...

Still think its a bit much not allowing us to see SC or WTB - i enjoyed just browsing seeing what was for sale and looking forward to being able to participate and also checking out WTB to see what was 'in demand'.

Going to be a lot of 'speed posts' as the member above pointed out just to boost peoples post count now.

If it protects the integrity of like minded souls then the 50 post initiation is justifiable IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke

Going to be a lot of 'speed posts' as the member above pointed out just to boost peoples post count now.
    Those "speed posters" will be noticed.... :blackeye:

Apprentice

I was content to browse and make the occasional purchase (which I have done to date), and understand entirely why this action was taken, but I am a little bit disappointed all the same. It is a pity there is not some some voluntary vetting process the casual voyeur can go through. I am not sure the 50 post threshold eliminates the risk of a deception but there may be limited options to deal with any threat, or perceived threat. From the other thread it would seem that a 'risk based intelligence led' approach had already identified suspicious activity on SC.

It would be interesting to know how many registered users fall below the 50 post threshold and were potentially disenfranchised?

Craftsman

It's a shame that it is nessasary but it's fair enough. Time to get involved and not lurk!

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by daggartuk
    If it protects the integrity of like minded souls then the 50 post initiation is justifiable IMO.

Exactly....the fact that posters above with as low as single digit post counts are bemoaning the retricted access to SC sort of justifies it IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by emilligan
    It would be interesting to know how many registered users fall below the 50 post threshold and were potentially disenfranchised?
    If they joined a watch forum to participate then they'll soon have access again...if they joined just to use the SC sod them quite frankly

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtdukok
    It's a shame that it is nessasary but it's fair enough. Time to get involved and not lurk!
    That's the spirit :hello1:

Not that easy reaching 50 posts. There can't be many questions to ask which haven't already been asked many times before. Using the search function usually provides the answer without the moans from established members replying to the same old questions. Imagine another 'submariner V sea-dweller' thread would probably raise a lynch mob

Craftsman

Hmmm how come I can see SC when I am not logged in. :?:

i dont know, i signed up to participate in this forum (as i do with another couple of watch forums) but i dont post a lot so it could have taken me a couple of months to reach the 50 posts which i'd have been fine with as i could view all areas of the forum.

Thing is with the previous 50 post limit it meant that people couldn't sell till they hit that magic number which eliminates people just signing up to sell stuff which is good. This means that your post count would just climb naturally if you weren't bothered about selling anything.

Now it seems that a lot of people are mentioning they just liked to browse SC and WTB even when they had less than 50 posts and were happy with this situation - so these people are going to miss out or end up trying to hit that 50 post limit sooner than they usually would just to be able to view SC and WTB which in a sense defeats the original purpose of the 50 post ruling.

Also noticed i could view SC and WTB when not logged in which seemed like a bit of a no brainer.

Anyway, just my mutterings as i think i'll be hitting the magic 50 soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    Not that easy reaching 50 posts. There can't be many questions to ask which haven't already been asked many times before. Using the search function usually provides the answer without the moans from established members replying to the same old questions. Imagine another 'submariner V sea-dweller' thread would probably raise a lynch mob
    You are not restricted to "questions". There are polls to take part in, congratulations to offer, advice and opinion to give (which is very welcome) and the occasional "wow", among much much more............

I haven't been around that long but "Watch Talk" is a fantastic forum. Get stuck in!

David

Such a shame, I've just listed some real bargains :twisted:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Such a shame, I've just listed some real bargains :twisted:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Pretty good Simon!

dera

If only that was implemented a few days ago...
    On my first day here I bought 2 watches from SC. Dangerous (and expensive!) hobby, that was...

Now I have time to cool down a bit and enjoy the new purchases... :)

Apprentice

The difficulty is, I could be a serial criminal or work in law enforcement (one of these could be true) and no amount of matey-online-chatty-ness is a real measure of someone's probity or integrity. There is an endless list of people who are duped every day by someone they thought they could trust.

Master

Can't be arsed to increase the post count by making unnecessary contributions, so I'll just have to logout to look at SC - till I get to the magic 50... :roll:

Was that an unnecessary contribution?

yep I agree its a shame, need to get my post count up to I'm afraid - will have to hit the magic 50 before i can drool over anymore Panerai's...

All I know is that this post means one less until I can get on SC again!

Quote Originally Posted by emilligan
    The difficulty is, I could be a serial criminal or work in law enforcement (one of these could be true) and no amount of matey-online-chatty-ness is a real measure of someone's probity or integrity. There is an endless list of people who are duped every day by someone they thought they could trust.
    Yes but at least the average scammer will think about the fact that they have to post 50 posts before they can even start trying to scam decent folk out of their money and watches, which hopefully, will deter some of the lazy low life scum :evil:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Journeyman

This is my 50th post and with this i can see the sales corner. :D
    Now i can look for a vintage Omega or Longines.

Banned

If you all keep moaning about it in this thread you will be there in no time :lol:

You can all flame me if you like I am thick skinned 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dandsoo
    Congratulations

Apprentice

Having put two pencils up nose and placed underpants on head, I have come up with a cunning plan:-

list something no one wants to buy in SC and then 'bump' it up to the top of the list forty odd times.

hang on.........I think I have spotted a snag.......

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by dandsoo

Wow and you joined on March 08, 2007 nobody can call you a speed poster.

I don't get it, if you can browse when you aren't logged in? what is the point?

I agree with Walter - sorry if I'm being dense, but how is blocking SC/WTB going to help if you can simply log out and view it to your hearts content, then log back in and send a PM? :?:

Back to limping towards 50 posts for me...

At least the first goal is reached: I haven't seen so many newbies post for a long time.
    Those who moan shouldn't, really: SC is a bonus that Eddie can remove at anytime (already has). This is first and foremost a FORUM where people exchange info and opinions on watches, the Universe and everything.

It would be nice if everyone remembered instead of whining :twisted:
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Serial lurker here.
    Bought a number of watches and only a few posts to my name..
    Slowly slowly catchey monkey...

The SC is what has really sparked my interest in watches, easy to ascertain what can be bought for my price-range. I do understand why the move has been made, but it is somewhat frustrating.