closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Watches

Journeyman

Alpha Watches

Just wanted to hear what your experience - and verdict - is on these?

Thinking of getting this one (borrowed the pic from their website)

[attachment=0:2qvvmvj3]Alpha.jpg[/attachment:2qvvmvj3]

Thanks.
    Alexander

Master

Re: Alpha Watches

I've got the Alpha Explorer. A lot of people on here will sneer at Alphas but I think the one I have represents incredible value for money. It never misses a beat and keeps excellent time.

But the important things is...... If you like it, buy it.

Rob

I bought an Alpha for my son as he loved my sub LV, he is only 12 ....

It was was WORST watch purchase I have ever made!!!! Even after sending it back to them it still runs 20 minutes fast A DAY !!!

I would never buy another Alpha or recommend anybody to buy one.

I know some people have had better experiences with them, but my experiences have been terrible....never again... :evil:

Craftsman

I have two Alphas, have had up to six , considering the price I cant complain they still work and keep ok time if you don’t need to be precise. ( gain a few mins a day) Its worth remembering that you get what you pay for. One thing is certain is you will have to replace the bracelet or strap imho . I have to agree with barryboy I you like it get it , its only a few quid anyway.

Master

They're not a manufacturer & probably buy from the cheapest source at the time. This may well account for inconsistent quality reports -
    though, according to WUS forums, QC is better than it used to be :wink:

I think I must have been lucky with the ones I've tried. They've all been ok, especially the PN chrono with the excellent ST19 movement :)

This one's even got a 'Gravimeter' on the back :D

Cheers :)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry
    It was was WORST watch purchase I have ever made!!!! Even after sending it back to them it still runs 20 minutes fast A DAY !!!

I would never buy another Alpha or recommend anybody to buy one.

I know some people have had better experiences with them, but my experiences have been terrible....never again... :evil:

+1
    A friend of mine received a Sub from Alpha. It has worked for one hour, then the minute hand was blocked (the second and hour hands were working correctly).
    I'm still trying to understand how such a thing is possible. :roll:
    He has sent the watch back : 2 months later, he received the watch, and couple of days after he told me the watch was working fine, it has started to take 1 minute every hour.

I would never ever buy cheap asian movements.

If you like rolex but can't afford to buy one, just buy sterile watches, there are plenty on ebay.

The hand wound Seagull ST-19 is a great movement so their Paul Newman chronographs are a safe buy.

Chinese automatic movements are notorious for the lack of QC so it's a toss up if you get a good one.

I would rather go for a Seiko 5 than an Alpha.

I bought an Explorer, its very good for the money......I have an uneasy feeling with them though, thier products are not so much homage than re-badged counterfiets IMO, but its a fine line...

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth
    The hand wound Seagull ST-19 is a great movement so their Paul Newman chronographs are a safe buy.

Chinese automatic movements are notorious for the lack of QC so it's a toss up if you get a good one.

I would rather go for a Seiko 5 than an Alpha.
    Actually I have no beef with chinese automatics, but the lowest end is simply garbish. ST21 is ok movement, not great but ok (but way too expensive for alpha, it seems, since they use notorious and crap ST6), ST18 is a good quality chinese movement, nothing bad to say about it and quality control is rather nice too, ST17 is all in-house SeaGull movement which is amazing, ST1940 (new automatic ST19 chrono movement) is stunning piece of kit, not to mention the SeaGull tourbillions.

Problem is that Alpha salvages the parts from the bottom of the barrel and throws them inside a thing they call case. Quality is weak, quality control non-existing. But you get exactly what you pay for.

Got a Alpha sub two weeks ago, and Im amazed.

57 usd shipped to where I live is usually less than I pay for shipping when I want a new watch.

I cant really believe how its possible to make such quality for so little. My Alpha is very precise, bezel clicks and lines up nice, the bracelet was OK ( I took it off at once) well just as said, its amazing.

If I was a watchproducer I would be worried about chinese competition.

And the watch helped me in deciding if I wanted the real thing or not.

Cheers

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by even neve
    Got a Alpha sub two weeks ago, and Im amazed.

57 usd shipped to where I live is usually less than I pay for shipping when I want a new watch.

I cant really believe how its possible to make such quality for so little. My Alpha is very precise, bezel clicks and lines up nice, the bracelet was OK ( I took it off at once) well just as said, its amazing.

If I was a watchproducer I would be worried about chinese competition.

And the watch helped me in deciding if I wanted the real thing or not.

Cheers

those are pretty much my sentiments as well - I think it is a great opportunity to try out a watch type before going for the real thing.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge guys - much appreciated
    Alexander

i have an Explorer and it's great. Pretty good finish for such a cheap watch. Also, it keeps time to within COSC spec

Mark

Apprentice

Sub lv alike that's within COSC. Superb value. Love it but not enough to buy a rolex so it saved me from making a mistake.

Craftsman

I have this Alpha Explorer, bought to see how the size of the Rolex Explorer would feel and while I can't afford the real thing.
    It surprised me how accurate it is, the overall quality is not bad for a 40€ watch. However the bracelet was terrible and the movement is very noisy, it seems it is loose inside.

Perhaps my experiences are out of step but I bought an Explorer and found it gained quite badly - a couple of minutes a day - so it went back for a refund. Maybe I should have tried another - the finish was pretty good for the price.

Grand Master

Not a fan, although I've heard good & bad about them, but for me they trade on the fact that they look like something else & no matter what you may think the experience of trying one to see if you'd get on with the real thing, just does not wash, as (apart from the design) there's just no comparison. They should just design their own watches. :evil:
    /vince ..

My Alpha is of very good quality. The bracelet is solid, as is the case; and the movement keeps very good time indeed.

My only criticism would be the bezel which is marginally out of alignment and not as precise as my Seiko's. But then there's a heck of a difference in price.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I have had a couple, still use the pepsi bezel GMT (wearing it today, in fact) and I think they are ok. Did have a daytona but never wore it, but it seemed to be good VFM (sold it on SC). Keeps time reasonably, so no complaints here.

Craftsman

Got a couple of these purchsed from SC & both still running
    after about 2 years

For the money they walk all over silly price watches !

I will buy a Crono as soon as i can find one

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper
    They're not a manufacturer & probably buy from the cheapest source at the time. This may well account for inconsistent quality reports -
    though, according to WUS forums, QC is better than it used to be :wink:

I think I must have been lucky with the ones I've tried. They've all been ok, especially the PN chrono with the excellent ST19 movement :)

This one's even got a 'Gravimeter' on the back :D

Cheers :)

I really like the PN and the Military watches. What is the lume like on the latter ?
    If you fancy selling , let me know !

Journeyman

I had one of the silver-dial alpha speedmasters for a few months, and had no problems with it. It kept good time and had a great bracelet.

i bought the black dialled one first, sold it then missed it :( , i then bought the silvered dial version and was happy again....
    i then acquired the black dialled one back for the princely sum of one seiko dress watch and one citizen dress watch :lol: :lol:

john :P

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood
    I really like the PN and the Military watches. What is the lume like on the latter ?
    If you fancy selling , let me know !

Cutout dial on this one - the lume's ok but doesn't last long.

This is the only Alpha that doesn't seem to be a direct homage to another watch - at least, I haven't come across anything yet :wink:

Cheers :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz
    i bought the black dialled one first, sold it then missed it :( , i then bought the silvered dial version and was happy again....
    i then acquired the black dialled one back for the princely sum of one seiko dress watch and one citizen dress watch :lol: :lol:

What are the model numbers for those?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon

What are the model numbers for those?

Hello Mark

just dug one of them out and it says (limited edition :D ) NT506-R13.

hope this helps :)

regards, john :P

Master

Speaking of Alpha, this nice little Explorer homage arrived yesterday :D

Blog Entries

just dug one of them out and it says (limited edition :D ) NT506-R13.

hope this helps :)

regards, john :P
    Thanks. :-)

Crikey Alan- that's gorgeous :hello1: :hello1:

john 8) 8)

Master

Crikey Alan- that's gorgeous :hello1: :hello1:

john 8) 8)

It's a little cracker John :D
    Looks like the same case and bezel as your two.

I have a PO and an SMP. Both keep good time. PO bracelet has been trouble free but SMP bracelet didn't last long.

Peased for the price though.

Got a PN a few weeks ago..& for the money I spent, I can't complain
    /n011an

I want to buy a S/H alpha ! they are the dogs nuts for money me thinks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I've had an Alpha Explorer for a couple of years. Initially I bought it out of curiosity, but I'm happy to wear it and it was one of the reasons I went on to get a couple of Rolex. While it can't match the deep down quality, it does what it says on the tin and, after regulation, is still accurate to a second or two a day on the wrist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood
    I want to buy a S/H alpha ! they are the dogs nuts for money me thinks
    You rearely see them second hand as far as I know.

But there's one discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92479 ;-)

Nice looking watches , but I guess you get what you pay for

All in all it sounds like Alpha have a fairly bad rep... but what can you expect for so cheap.....

Yeah, mixed bag of opinion. I was thinking of buying one as a Christmas present as there isn't a lot around at this price point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee
    Yeah, mixed bag of opinion. I was thinking of buying one as a Christmas present as there isn't a lot around at this price point.
    Just a suggestion: Seiko 5's are around this price, especially on http://www.ebid.net.

Master

Just a suggestion: Seiko 5's are around this price, especially on http://www.ebid.net.
    I got a mate an Oris pointer date as a present a while back - 80 quid from SC. I feel much better about giving that than any watch that may or may not keep time, may or not break, and for the most part are blatant rip-offs of established designs (they're mostly de-badged reps, aren't they?)

It's a really nice idea giving watches as presents - may even get a few people interested - but I'd hesitate about giving an Alpha as it seems entirely hit and miss whether or not you get a good one - some people obviously have had decent ones, but it doesn't seem that common an experience.

Cheers for the suggestions. Had a look on 'ebid'. Never used it. I take it, it's as good/bad as ebay? !!

Blog Entries

Cheers for the suggestions. Had a look on 'ebid'. Never used it. I take it, it's as good/bad as ebay? !!
    As a seller eBid is cheaper but as a buyer there's less choice (of course, this doesn't matter if it's got what you want). I've bought and sold a few things on eBid and not had any problems.

Journeyman

I have to agree, the seiko 5's are much better at this price point. My SNK809 is absolutely rock solid, and a great looking watch too.

Journeyman

I bought a sub and op homage from off this very forum and were delighted with them, they make great fun daily wearers. I even bought my father a smp style, to stop him doing the gardening in his el primero rainbow

Don't be put off by brand snobs, it'll be you wearing it not them.

Is there a UK dealer for these? Considering getting a couple of the "homage" styles before shelling out for the real thing!

I got a used mint Alpha oyster/date off ebay for a score & was pleasantly surprised & i think bracelet is pretty good apart from awfull stamped A on clasp :!:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked
    Is there a UK dealer for these? Considering getting a couple of the "homage" styles before shelling out for the real thing!
    Just buy direct from the website. Pretty reliable.

This one? http://www.alpha-watch.com/

All the prices are in dollars though! :lol:

Blog Entries

This one? http://www.alpha-watch.com/
    That's the one.

All the prices are in dollars though! :lol:
    I'm sure your credit card will cope. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by brugo
    I have this Alpha Explorer, bought to see how the size of the Rolex Explorer would feel and while I can't afford the real thing.
    It surprised me how accurate it is, the overall quality is not bad for a 40€ watch. However the bracelet was terrible and the movement is very noisy, it seems it is loose inside.

Hi there,

I am aware that this is going to appear as if I am stalking you on Easter day but I promise you that is not the case, but as I was continuing my research into Explorer alternatives I found that you also have the Alpha version. At the risk of overstaying a welcome how did you find it? Value for money?

...and just so I don't have disturb your day anymore if by any chance you have/had a Zeno Explorer (you seem to have mots of the others :lol: ) what were your experiences of that model?

Please only get back to me on this when you have spare time as I am in no rush and am generally very slow in making decisions at the best of times...

Promise to leave you alone now.

Thanks again
    Ed